or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray - Page 22

post #631 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

It is easily the best Bond film
OHMSS?

Stop with this madness!
The best film it is not. Not even close.
post #632 of 686
Disappointed QUANTUM OF SOLACE is not like all the others in the set.
1-- there is adverts for other movies at the beginning of the disc
2 --there is no intro as all the others have. The into is new to the set except QOS
Why the hell did they not spend a little time making it as all the others and for god sake why the movie previews at the beginning
Someone has been very slack
Are all sets the same
mine is from australia and would like to know if this is the same with other sets in the U.S. and UK
I mean this supposed to be a collection and they do a disc thats not the same as all the others
post #633 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Chaos View Post

OHMSS?
Stop with this madness!
The best film it is not. Not even close.

I agree with that statement.
post #634 of 686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Chaos View Post

OHMSS?
Stop with this madness!
The best film it is not. Not even close.

Its the hardcore choice, follwed by Casino or Licence to kill.
The Layman choice is normally Goldeneye or Goldfinger
post #635 of 686
On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a good film but IMO it has a special place as the guy who followed Connery and the only Bond actor who only did one.

Art
post #636 of 686
I watched OHMSS last year again and still found it to be a mixed bag. It's one of the few Bond films with something resembling an actual character arc for Bond, and a dark ending, which is why many respond to it more strongly than the others. Also has a great Bond girl in Diana Rigg and I actually think it's one of John Barry's best Bond scores. But the execution of the rest falls short in too many aspects for me. Lazenby is weak, coming to life only in the fight scenes. I never cared for Telly Savalas as Blofeld. The pacing is uneven, stopping too often for romantic montage interludes that don't advance the plot. And it feels about 20 minutes too long. It's a shame though, because with Connery in there, and some tighter editing, it could have been the best. There probably hasn't been a perfect Bond film made but I'd say, at risk of sounding like a layman, that Goldfinger comes closest. But Bond movies are like the pizza of cinema. Even at their worst, they're still pretty good.
post #637 of 686
Thread Starter 
Goldfinger is iconic, but lags in the middle and end for me.
Licence To Kill and Skyfall are second and third for me
post #638 of 686
The hardcore choices for best Bond are
OHMSS
From Russia with Love
Dr. No
Thunderball
Octopussy
For Your Eyes Only

All of the rest, except the first two Craig films (Skyfall doesnt open here for another 10 days) and Die Another Day, are fun to watch in varying degrees. Then you add the 1967 Casino Royale (fun, but a product of its time) and Never Say Never Again (the worst thing to ever be peripherally associated with Bond).
post #639 of 686
Thread Starter 
Octopussy is miles worse than never say never again.

And die another day not far behind it, odd as its voted highly by the layman fan.

Good ohmss read here, for anyone interested www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4017serv.html
Edited by dvdmike007 - 10/28/12 at 11:39am
post #640 of 686
Most of the Brosnan Bonds were pretty weak. He'd be the first to admit it. That's one reason the producers fired him late at night. Brosnan wanted final say on the script because he asked for a good one for a change, and didn't like the direction they were going. The Broccoli and Saltzman clan are notorious control freaks, which can sometimes be a detriment to the series.

I think with Skyfall, they're trying to get back to a more "Bond-like" Bond film... a grand, globe trotting adventure with a really diabolical, over-the-top foe, and with Q Branch and all the nifty gadgets assisting him along the way. Daniel Craig even had wanted Bond to be more than a beefed up thug.
post #641 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Octopussy is miles worse than never say never again.ml

Actually, no.
post #642 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Octopussy is miles worse than never say never again.

I think I saw Octopussy like 20 times when I was a kid only because my sister worked at the local theater at the time and got me in for free. Watching it again last week, I was surprised by how bad a lot of it was. Haven't seen Never Say Never Again in a long time but I remember it being very ponderous and slow for a Bond film.
post #643 of 686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Most of the Brosnan Bonds were pretty weak. He'd be the first to admit it. That's one reason the producers fired him late at night. Brosnan wanted final say on the script because he asked for a good one for a change, and didn't like the direction they were going. The Broccoli and Saltzman clan are notorious control freaks, which can sometimes be a detriment to the series.
I think with Skyfall, they're trying to get back to a more "Bond-like" Bond film... a grand, globe trotting adventure with a really diabolical, over-the-top foe, and with Q Branch and all the nifty gadgets assisting him along the way. Daniel Craig even had wanted Bond to be more than a beefed up thug.

The only decent Brosnan is the one that was not written for him at all.
post #644 of 686
As someone who is only seeing a lot of the old Bond films for the first time with this set, I thought OHMSS was brilliant - really engrossing story and a beautifully shot film. Something about it was just so much more interesting than the Connery films - not that I think those are bad films at all, just that their story felt more functional for the sake of getting to the action rather than action that was organically part of a storyline. Wading through the Moore films at the moment. Looking forward to watching the Dalton films as I haven't seen those either.
post #645 of 686
From Russia with Love is my favorite, it has Connery, Q, great allies and villains, and a smoking Bond girl. It has gadgets, but not to the point of ridiculousness; and it has a streamlined, semi-realistic plot. It hasn't fallen into the paint-by-numbers approach yet.

I used to think On Her Majesty's Secret Service was my favorite, but no more. Having watch it again, it is SO slow. The outfits that Lazenby had to wear were ridiculous. Diana Rigg is awesome, but, as mentioned earlier, the SPECTRE plot is dumb as hell. And Telly Savalas is a terrible actor in my opinion. Every role that guys played was Telly Savalas instead of the character. Telly Savalas as Blofeld? No thank ya, baby!

That said, On Her Majesty's Secret Service will always remain in the top half of Bond films for me however for having the balls to have the only unhappy ending in the series.
post #646 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

As someone who is only seeing a lot of the old Bond films for the first time with this set, I thought OHMSS was brilliant - really engrossing story and a beautifully shot film. Something about it was just so much more interesting than the Connery films - not that I think those are bad films at all, just that their story felt more functional for the sake of getting to the action rather than action that was organically part of a storyline. Wading through the Moore films at the moment. Looking forward to watching the Dalton films as I haven't seen those either.

When you get to License to Kill, you should see why this late 80's iteration of Bond was almost a death knell to the series. Wayne Newton as a bad guy??? The beginning was silly as all get out. The surrounding cast was not very good, even though the Bond babes were hot. Dalton looked more ridiculous in the roll than ever, rather than more comfortable. He wasn't all that bad in his debut in The Living Daylights.

Except for a couple of Brosnan duds and some parts of OHMSS and Diamonds are Forever,and a good portion of the Dalton films... I've enjoyed the Bond films immensely over the years. Yes, even A View to a Kill is better than License to Kill.
Edited by Dan Hitchman - 10/29/12 at 7:46am
post #647 of 686
The Man With a Golden Gun.
I have only seen it once and I recall it was rough to get through.
But I would give it a second chance.

The World is Not Enough is one I can live without.
Just awful.
post #648 of 686

Hey all,

 

We're putting together a non-definitive list of AVS' favorite Bond films, and I wanted to get your opinion of which is the best Roger Moore-era film, Blu-ray quality aside.

 

We seem to have narrowed it down to two:

 

Live and Let Die

 

and

 

The Spy Who Loved Me

 

Seeing as none of the Moore films stand up really well these days, which of these two do you prefer?

post #649 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by espodo View Post

Hey all,

We're putting together a non-definitive list of AVS' favorite Bond films, and I wanted to get your opinion of which is the best Roger Moore-era film, Blu-ray quality aside.

We seem to have narrowed it down to two:

Live and Let Die

and

The Spy Who Loved Me

Seeing as none of the Moore films stand up really well these days, which of these two do you prefer?

Of those two, Live and Let Die.

But Octopussy and For Your Eyes Only are the best Roger Moore Bonds and certainly belong in the series Top 10.
post #650 of 686

Thanks for your input. It's certainly tough to narrow things down. One man's favorite Bond film could be another's least favorite. I've seen so many conflicting opinions on AVS about this: most of the films are spotty enough that people get widely varying things out of them. 

 

I know that many consider Octopussy to be one of the most ridiculous films of the series. 

post #651 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by espodo View Post

Thanks for your input. It's certainly tough to narrow things down. One man's favorite Bond film could be another's least favorite. I've seen so many conflicting opinions on AVS about this: most of the films are spotty enough that people get widely varying things out of them. 

I know that many consider Octopussy to be one of the most ridiculous films of the series. 

There really is no wrong or right answer here. Just watch them and pick your own favorites, I think if everyone liked the same thing, well, it would be a boring place.

Whenever I think of Octopussy, I think of Roger Moore dressed as an old, sad clown:




Not his finest moment as 007, and IMHO, one of my least favorite Bond movies...
post #652 of 686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by espodo View Post

Hey all,

We're putting together a non-definitive list of AVS' favorite Bond films, and I wanted to get your opinion of which is the best Roger Moore-era film, Blu-ray quality aside.

We seem to have narrowed it down to two:

Live and Let Die

and

The Spy Who Loved Me

Seeing as none of the Moore films stand up really well these days, which of these two do you prefer?

For your Eyes Only if I had to pick, out of the two Live and Let Die
post #653 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by espodo View Post

We're putting together a non-definitive list of AVS' favorite Bond films, and I wanted to get your opinion of which is the best Roger Moore-era film, Blu-ray quality aside.

We seem to have narrowed it down to two:

Live and Let Die

and

The Spy Who Loved Me

This isn't a fair fight at all. The Spy Who Loved Me is a far better movie than the mediocre Live and Let Die. The only things Live and Let Die really has going for it are the great theme song and Yaphet Kotto as the villain.
post #654 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

When you get to License to Kill, you should see why this late 80's iteration of Bond was almost a death knell to the series. Wayne Newton as a bad guy??? The beginning was silly as all get out. The surrounding cast was not very good, even though the Bond babes were hot. Dalton looked more ridiculous in the roll than ever, rather than more comfortable. He wasn't all that bad in his debut in The Living Daylights.
Except for a couple of Brosnan duds and some parts of OHMSS and Diamonds are Forever,and a good portion of the Dalton films... I've enjoyed the Bond films immensely over the years. Yes, even A View to a Kill is better than License to Kill.

I don't get the Licence to Kill hate at all. The movie is by far the best Bond film of the '80s. Really, nothing in your description of it is correct (except that the Bond girls are indeed hot).
post #655 of 686
"Bless your heart!"

I love Licence to Kill, absolutely love it. It's Bond being all dark and moody and serious way before Craig got in on the act. Dalton's Bond was ahead of his time, hence the somewhat lukewarm reaction to him both critically and commercially.
post #656 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

"Bless your heart!"
I love Licence to Kill, absolutely love it. It's Bond being all dark and moody and serious way before Craig got in on the act. Dalton's Bond was ahead of his time, hence the somewhat lukewarm reaction to him both critically and commercially.

I am in the same boat. It was so refreshing after what had become of Bond in some of the Moore movies (Moonraker, and the uber horrible A View To A Kill) to see a mad Bond who acts more like a operative who has a license to kill. I remember seeing this movie in the theater and really enjoying it. That experience has not changed for me over the years, and Carey Lowell seems to fly under the radar for attractive Bond girls.. I still think she is super hot and liked her in this.


Edited by ack_bk - 10/29/12 at 1:47pm
post #657 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

This isn't a fair fight at all. The Spy Who Loved Me is a far better movie than the mediocre Live and Let Die. The only things Live and Let Die really has going for it are the great theme song and Yaphet Kotto as the villain.

And Jane Seymour...
post #658 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

And Jane Seymour...

and sheriff JW Pepper!
post #659 of 686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubaurl= 
and sheriff JW Pepper!


Who was better in golden gun due to THAT stunt.
post #660 of 686
I used to love The Spy Who Loved Me- came out the year of Star Wars, if memory serves- and I saw it multiple times, but when I saw it recently on the On Demand service of Comcast, I was shocked at how slow it seemed. I guess I ought to see all the Moore Bonds again and revise my ratings. The other two I liked were Live and Let Die and Octopussy.

If opinions here are any indication, there will never ever be a consensus on which films are the best. It seems to hinge on the ones you first saw when you were a teenager.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray