or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Sigma 8910 anticipation thread Q2 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Dune HD Sigma 8910 anticipation thread Q2 2012 - Page 3

post #61 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post

I would love a dune that will play 3D ISO. I currently have 3 various units of the current models throughout the house. I was very excited when I first saw the picture and thought they are 3 individual units. I would love just the top version, could they just make that as a standalone??

The hope/expectation is that they will make 8910 players via the Smart series which are in line with the current models. It would simply be stripped down from the HD Pro (i.e. no VXP Processing, etc...)
post #62 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


I haven't figured out why you would even need all three. At most you would only need two out of the 3 I would think (since the two modules come with Blu-ray Drives, it would just be a matter of what storage you want). If the modules are meant to be ripping stations then I could possibly understand having all 3 modules.

You have not read my previous post then...
post #63 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

You have not read my previous post then...

Nope, never read your previous post

The question though since you can extend with a NAS is will it get integrated with whatever disc storage solution the bottom module will have. Honestly for me at least it doesn't really matter as at the prices they are asking I have zero interest, and just hold out hope reasonably priced Smart series players are eventually released
post #64 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


Nope, never read your previous post

The question though since you can extend with a NAS is will it get integrated with whatever disc storage solution the bottom module will have. Honestly for me at least it doesn't really matter as at the prices they are asking I have zero interest, and just hold out hope reasonably priced Smart series players are eventually released

Automated ripper with storage unit...

Working on sacd
post #65 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Automated ripper with storage unit...

Working on sacd

Yeah, I was actually talking to someone yesterday about the automated ripper function and how it would compete against Kaleidescape. It is definitely an interesting avenue to go with, and in general I believe Dune is going after more of the custom installation market so it does fit in with their plans. Has anyone aside from Kaleidescape been able to get away with providing ripping legally in the US?
post #66 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yeah, I was actually talking to someone yesterday about the automated ripper function and how it would compete against Kaleidescape. It is definitely an interesting avenue to go with, and in general I believe Dune is going after more of the custom installation market so it does fit in with their plans. Has anyone aside from Kaleidescape been able to get away with providing ripping legally in the US?

It may be debatable whether Kaleidescape is doing so legally, though so far they are getting away with it.
post #67 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

It may be debatable whether Kaleidescape is doing so legally, though so far they are getting away with it.

Yeah, maybe it is better to say is any other company doing it out in the open successfully

I wonder if for example someone builds custom PCs to sell, and as part of the customization they install AnyDVD, would they technically be held liable?
post #68 of 409
from my understanding kaleidescape can do it because you still have to have the physical disc to watch it. Now I dont know how true this is but that is how they explain it

Kaleidescape disc vaults make it fast and easy to add movies and music to your Kaleidescape System. You simply insert as many discs as you like, and walk away. Your Kaleidescape disc vault does the rest. Your discs are automatically copied onto your Kaleidescape System and are ready to be enjoyed throughout your home. Once copied onto your Kaleidescape System, a Blu-ray Disc must remain in the disc vault to enable playback of the digital copy on the server.
post #69 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

from my understanding kaleidescape can do it because you still have to have the physical disc to watch it. Now I dont know how true this is but that is how they explain it

Kaleidescape disc vaults make it fast and easy to add movies and music to your Kaleidescape System. You simply insert as many discs as you like, and walk away. Your Kaleidescape disc vault does the rest. Your discs are automatically copied onto your Kaleidescape System and are ready to be enjoyed throughout your home. Once copied onto your Kaleidescape System, a Blu-ray Disc must remain in the disc vault to enable playback of the digital copy on the server.

Yeah, that was their concession by having the Blu-ray carousel (which of course ramps up the cost). I don't know if it is just a move to buy time or it gets em off the hook completely.
post #70 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post


Yeah, I was actually talking to someone yesterday about the automated ripper function and how it would compete against Kaleidescape. It is definitely an interesting avenue to go with, and in general I believe Dune is going after more of the custom installation market so it does fit in with their plans. Has anyone aside from Kaleidescape been able to get away with providing ripping legally in the US?

You said you don't understand the logic of the storage module and I explained it to you
post #71 of 409
Well here at the dune booth and I talked to mike. He said its gonna be a while before they come with the new chip players. With out quoting him he said sigma has come up with issues with the 3D side. He said don't expect them anytime soon!! He also twisted my arm into picking up one of the dune max players at a price I cannot pass up!!
post #72 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

You said you don't understand the logic of the storage module and I explained it to you

Just miscommunication, sorry about that, you seem a little feisty today
post #73 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablozoe View Post

Well here at the dune booth and I talked to mike. He said its gonna be a while before they come with the new chip players. With out quoting him he said sigma has come up with issues with the 3D side. He said don't expect them anytime soon!! He also twisted my arm into picking up one of the dune max players at a price I cannot pass up!!

LOL, congrats on your new baby. You should check, maybe they snuck an 8910 in there
post #74 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Just miscommunication, sorry about that, you seem a little feisty today

lol... it's the tension of the CES show crowds rolling over my feet with their luggage. I am in the airport now, excited to get back home. I am overwhelmed with the amazing audio stuff out there and excited to get my eval units to play with.

The coolest thing was probably the simplest... a $100 device that lets you control what mobile services each cell phone in your car can use... turn off texting, disable games, disable voice, disable data, etc..... now if only someone could come up with a method to remotely shock passengers...
post #75 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

lol... it's the tension of the CES show crowds rolling over my feet with their luggage. I am in the airport now, excited to get back home. I am overwhelmed with the amazing audio stuff out there and excited to get my eval units to play with.

The coolest thing was probably the simplest... a $100 device that lets you control what mobile services each cell phone in your car can use... turn off texting, disable games, disable voice, disable data, etc..... now if only someone could come up with a method to remotely shock passengers...

lol, yeah, I can imagine. That is on my bucket list one of these years to get down to CES. Problem is I have the conference for the industry I work in weeks after CES in Vegas as well, so unfortunately that one takes priority.

Have a safe trip home and get some rest!
post #76 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

LOL, congrats on your new baby. You should check, maybe they snuck an 8910 in there

I hope this blows away the 900. And mike say to tell you what's up! Will this player pass through 7.1?
post #77 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablozoe View Post


I hope this blows away the 900. And mike say to tell you what's up! Will this player pass through 7.1?

My two Dunes at home get used every day without fail or a hiccup, so I am sure you will enjoy! I dont have a 7.1 setup but I am pretty sure it does pass through 7.1
post #78 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

It may be debatable whether Kaleidescape is doing so legally, though so far they are getting away with it.

Kscape is the only legal option period. They spent tons of money in court fee's fighting for the rights of their products. In result for legal Bluray ripping they had to add the bluray disc vault. Many companies have tried to compete with kscape and have failed. Dune might be trying to enter the high end market with their new players but they have a long way to go before they will ever offer a product like Kaliedescape!
post #79 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Kscape is the only legal option period. They spent tons of money in court fee's fighting for the rights of their products. In result for legal Bluray ripping they had to add the bluray disc vault. Many companies have tried to compete with kscape and have failed. Dune might be trying to enter the high end market with their new players but they have a long way to go before they will ever offer a product like Kaliedescape!

Well, this may answer the legality issues in the states. I was talking to babgvant regarding the ripper module and he mentioned that when talking to Dune @ CES they most likely will not sell that module in the states.
post #80 of 409
I have a 7.1 setup with my Dune H1 and passthru works great.
post #81 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post

I would love a dune that will play 3D ISO. I currently have 3 various units of the current models throughout the house. I was very excited when I first saw the picture and thought they are 3 individual units. I would love just the top version, could they just make that as a standalone??

The way Mike made it seem is that the new chip is not gonna be out till next year!
post #82 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablozoe View Post

The way Mike made it seem is that the new chip is not gonna be out till next year!

Oh no not another year!

Well please dune work on the firmware and add a jukebox to current lines.
post #83 of 409
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Oh no not another year!

Well please dune work on the firmware and add a jukebox to current lines.

I use DUNE EXPLORER 2.0.6 works great for my dune base 3.0
Like all jukeboxes they have their flaws but I really like it and its free.

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23178
post #84 of 409
Sigma has hinted the 8910 with VXP wouldn't be considerably much more than current chips so I'm not sure why Dune wouldn't be able to also offer another model that's more affordable based on the 8910 with VXP. If Dune doesn't, someone else surely will.

Remember Sigma wants their chips on every media streamer, Blu-ray player, electronic device etc... they can be put in. If they can offer the 8910 with VXP which improves picture quality, lots of electronics makers are going to want those chips in their machines. Sigma didn't buy Gennum just so they could keep VXP processing in high end devices. That's a limited niche market. With Sigma's know how at producing affordable chips I think you see that continue with the additional benefit of VXP processing. These chips are not going to be so expensive you only see them on $2000 devices. Sigma cant afford to be expensive when you have other companies out there like Marvell with their Qdeo technology.
post #85 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

I use DUNE EXPLORER 2.0.6 works great for my dune base 3.0
Like all jukeboxes they have their flaws but I really like it and its free.

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23178

I use yadis, but I want a built in automated one.
post #86 of 409
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablozoe View Post

Well here at the dune booth and I talked to mike. He said its gonna be a while before they come with the new chip players. With out quoting him he said sigma has come up with issues with the 3D side. He said don't expect them anytime soon!! He also twisted my arm into picking up one of the dune max players at a price I cannot pass up!!

Welcome to the Dune club. I am sure you will enjoy it.Mine has been playing everything fine since day one. WISH i had picked up another instead of the 900b
post #87 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

Welcome to the Dune club. I am sure you will enjoy it.Mine has been playing everything fine since day one. WISH i had picked up another instead of the 900b

Just out of curiosity, can any of the currently available Dune HD boxes play 3D BD ISO's properly ?
post #88 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post

Just out of curiosity, can any of the currently available Dune HD boxes play 3D BD ISO's properly ?

No (Sigma limitation). If they could we probably wouldn't have this thread
post #89 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post


Just out of curiosity, can any of the currently available Dune HD boxes play 3D BD ISO's properly ?

This is all im waiting for! All the talk about VXP this, NAS that, its making my head hurt!

Just release the Smart series with 3D ISO playback for a reasonable price and I think most will be happy and don't make me wait til the end of the year!

End of rant :-) lol
post #90 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

This is all im waiting for! All the talk about VXP this, NAS that, its making my head hurt!

Just release the Smart series with 3D ISO playback for a reasonable price and I think most will be happy and don't make me wait til the end of the year!

End of rant :-) lol

While you are waiting... just rip your 3D blu-ray to a side-by-side .iso and watch them right now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › New Dune HD Sigma 8910 anticipation thread Q2 2012