or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic DMP BDT500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic DMP BDT500 - Page 38

post #1111 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojogypson View Post

Is picture and sound (HDMI) any better on the 500 vs the 320 or 220.
I do not need the analog or 2 HDMI outputs.
But I would pay a little extra if the 500 produces an improvement in image/sound.
You will not see a difference over HDMI. They all use the same chipset.

S~
post #1112 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Panasonic DLNA capabilities are extremely limited. Unless your entire video library is only one file type, like mkv, for example, I would avoid panasonic for DLNA. If you are coming from a PS3, why the new need for the dual HDMI and analog audio features of the panasonic? If you go with sony, the interface will be very familiar to you and you'll have 100+ streaming services, far more than panasonic has. And the DLNA capabilities of sony are very good. While I've had many panasonic players and liked them, they aren't the quite the swiss army knife that the sony players are. For discs only, panasonic is very good.

Thanks, have no need right now for dual HDMI as my current LCD is not 3D. Just figured it wouldn't hurt to have the capability when I needed it. As for DLNA it's unfortunate, I really like the esthetic of the 500 over the Sony offerings. Guess I need to take a closer look at the 5100.
post #1113 of 1791
Anybody notice the new firmware update today? Any info on whats on it?
post #1114 of 1791
Firmaware is only for Viera connect
I have this player for a couple a days and have an issue to make working the HDMI and analog together
I want to do this to supply why AV-receiver with the HDMI (sound + video) and supply my buttkicker (LFE out) via the analog output. The aim is to avoid to calibrate each time the volume level of the BKA1000n from buttkicker each time I 'm adjusting the volume of the receiver.
someone has the solution ? for info my receiver is an onkyo NR809
post #1115 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by popouie View Post

Firmaware is only for Viera connect
I have this player for a couple a days and have an issue to make working the HDMI and analog together
I want to do this to supply why AV-receiver with the HDMI (sound + video) and supply my buttkicker (LFE out) via the analog output. The aim is to avoid to calibrate each time the volume level of the BKA1000n from buttkicker each time I 'm adjusting the volume of the receiver.
someone has the solution ? for info my receiver is an onkyo NR809

You might be better off asking your question in the "Audio theory, Setup and Chat" forum.

Al
post #1116 of 1791
Hi, I have just grabbed one of these from amazon. Please can you advise me of the apps that are available for t ! Like does it have tunein radio etc ? Can't wait to get it
post #1117 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiacfatboy View Post

Hi, I have just grabbed one of these from amazon. Please can you advise me of the apps that are available for t ! Like does it have tunein radio etc ? Can't wait to get it
Yes. Apps are HERE.
post #1118 of 1791
Thank you very much mdavej
post #1119 of 1791
Hi, I am thinking of buying one of these players but worried about obsolescence.
My current player LG BD390 is 3 years old and no longer gets firmware updates and some of the newest blurays do not play properly.
Since this player is last year's product and Panasonic no longer offers new hardware with 7.1 analog capabilities should I buy this unit having already lost a full year of firmware updates?
Or maybe a better solution would be to just buy a new HDMI capable AVR together with a less expensive unit like the new DMP-BDT230?
post #1120 of 1791
The BDT500 is also this years (2013) model and not near as obsolete as current new AVRs. It also has better DACs than current AVRs.
post #1121 of 1791
I also have the same dilemma.

I have an older AVR without HDMI but with 7.1 capabilities.

I am planning to upgrade my TV to one having 3D later this year so I was looking for a blu ray player to replace my exiting 2D unit.

The Panasonic DMP-BDT500 is a good choice for direct 7.1 connections and reasonably priced compared to Oppo.

However, the newer models like DMP-BDT330 offer the Miracast system (similar to air play) and 4K up scaling with 2 HDMI inputs but no 7.1 analog

I am not sure if the DMP-BDT500 will also offer the Miracast system via firmware upgrade. At this time the 4K up scaling is of no interest to me.
post #1122 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by expressmoria View Post

I also have the same dilemma.

I have an older AVR without HDMI but with 7.1 capabilities.

I am planning to upgrade my TV to one having 3D later this year so I was looking for a blu ray player to replace my exiting 2D unit.

The Panasonic DMP-BDT500 is a good choice for direct 7.1 connections and reasonably priced compared to Oppo.

However, the newer models like DMP-BDT330 offer the Miracast system (similar to air play) and 4K up scaling with 2 HDMI inputs but no 7.1 analog

I am not sure if the DMP-BDT500 will also offer the Miracast system via firmware upgrade. At this time the 4K up scaling is of no interest to me.

It seems you have a difficult decision to make. I have the BDT500 and couldn't ask for a better player considering the system I have. My decision was a fairly simple one because I knew I didn't want to upgrade my AVR simply because I don't have the money to spare. I got a very good deal on my 500, I had a very good AVR, and my speakers are all vintage speakers that I already had before I decided to build a 5.1 set up. All I had to actually buy was the BDT500 and a new television that I had to have anyway.

In your case, and if you can afford it, I would go with the BDT330. I hate to say that because I really like this 500 and I don't think a person is going to be able to buy a new multi channel Analog Audio Output blu ray player after this one is discontinued that is affordable. I should say "that doesn't cost as much as an Oppo" because, to many, an Oppo is affordable.The main reason that I say get the 330 is because it will allow you to use the speaker and bass management the newer receivers have that the older ones lack. I do have my system sounding pretty good but I believe it could sound better with the proper audio management and would be much easier to set up.

As far as Miracast goes I didn't know anything about it until I read your post and looked it up. After looking into it I hope that Panasonic updates the 500's firmware so I can use it and my guess is that they will. I only say that because the 500 wasn't discontinued so they really wouldn't lose any sales because of folks upgrading firmware instead of buying a new player as they're still selling the 500.

I doubt if this helped you out any but that's my take on it.
Good luck.

Al
post #1123 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by expressmoria View Post

I also have the same dilemma.

I have an older AVR without HDMI but with 7.1 capabilities.

I am planning to upgrade my TV to one having 3D later this year so I was looking for a blu ray player to replace my exiting 2D unit.

The Panasonic DMP-BDT500 is a good choice for direct 7.1 connections and reasonably priced compared to Oppo.

However, the newer models like DMP-BDT330 offer the Miracast system (similar to air play) and 4K up scaling with 2 HDMI inputs but no 7.1 analog

I am not sure if the DMP-BDT500 will also offer the Miracast system via firmware upgrade. At this time the 4K up scaling is of no interest to me.

I bought the 500 specifically for the 7.1 Analog outputs. Have not bought an AVR since HDMI came out and glad I did. Have another 2D BD player with 7.1 Analog for my 2D TV. Computer has 7.1 Analog sound card and all my games + BD drive are on the computer connected to a 3D PJ. It's been great not having all the HDMI audio problems all these years.
post #1124 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

The BDT500 is also this years (2013) model and not near as obsolete as current new AVRs. It also has better DACs than current AVRs.

Which current AVRs?eek.gif
post #1125 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Which current AVRs?eek.gif

I stand corrected. Some very top of the line recievers have 192khz/32bit BurrBrown DACs also but it will cost you almost a couple thousand dollars over the BDT-500.
post #1126 of 1791
I've been looking at this player for a number of months.
I'm looking at it for two reasons.
I want the second HDMI out so that I can run a separate HDMI camble to my nearby TV in my exercise room.
I've got a substantial SD DVD library and I understand this player does a pretty nice job at up-conversion.
post #1127 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

I've been looking at this player for a number of months.
I'm looking at it for two reasons.
I want the second HDMI out so that I can run a separate HDMI camble to my nearby TV in my exercise room.
I've got a substantial SD DVD library and I understand this player does a pretty nice job at up-conversion.

Its a nice player, Im a little surprised its staying around another year, but that lets you now its quite capable and does everything nicely.
post #1128 of 1791
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions concerning the purchase of this player.

I finally made up my mind, bought this unit and replaced an older LG bluray player.

I did the initial set-up, connected it to my router (Ethernet cable not wifi) and updated the firmware.

I am using the 7.1 audio connections to the AVR (PCM out so decoding is done by the player) and HDMI (AV out main) to a 2D television.

I watched a couple of bluray movies and listened to a few of CDs and so far I am happy with the results.
Did not yet try any SD DVDs or any other type of files.
Also I downloaded the remote app for my iPad and briefly looked at some of the viera apps (YouTube mainly) and appear to be funtional.

I read in the manual that when a movie soundtrack is 5.1 the player will multiplex the sound to 7.1 so all speakers are active.
Not sure if the rear L/R need to be adjusted (turn down their volume) or should be OK as is.

Listening to CDs with the 7.1 connections it appears the stereo sound is being properly decoded and coming out from only the front two speakers.
Not sure if I need to make additional adjustments to the bluray settings or try different connections to the AVR to properly handle stereo sources.
post #1129 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortemer View Post

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions concerning the purchase of this player.

I finally made up my mind, bought this unit and replaced an older LG bluray player.

I did the initial set-up, connected it to my router (Ethernet cable not wifi) and updated the firmware.

I am using the 7.1 audio connections to the AVR (PCM out so decoding is done by the player) and HDMI (AV out main) to a 2D television.

I watched a couple of bluray movies and listened to a few of CDs and so far I am happy with the results.
Did not yet try any SD DVDs or any other type of files.
Also I downloaded the remote app for my iPad and briefly looked at some of the viera apps (YouTube mainly) and appear to be funtional.

I read in the manual that when a movie soundtrack is 5.1 the player will multiplex the sound to 7.1 so all speakers are active.
Not sure if the rear L/R need to be adjusted (turn down their volume) or should be OK as is.

Listening to CDs with the 7.1 connections it appears the stereo sound is being properly decoded and coming out from only the front two speakers.
Not sure if I need to make additional adjustments to the bluray settings or try different connections to the AVR to properly handle stereo sources.

I'm confused about what you're looking for when you say "properly handle stereo sources". First you say "it appears the stereo sound is being properly decoded and coming out from only the two front speakers" and then you say "Not sure if I need to make additional adjustments to the bluray settings or try different connections to the AVR to properly handle stereo sources".

Stereo is two channel and from what I'm reading in your post that's what you are getting. Are you looking for something other than two channel stereo?

Al
post #1130 of 1791
I have a question for anybody that might have an answer to this. I believe this wouldn't be possible but would like confirmation.

I need:

(2) HDMI outs video and audio for both

plus, I wanted to utilize the analog outs (5.1) to my reciever

(1) HDMI to main TV
(1) HDMI to secondary TV
5.1 analog outs to reciever for 5.1 system

I assume if I change it to Dual HDMI that the Panasonic will stop the output on the analog outs or does this even do video on both HDMI(s)?
post #1131 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterscapes View Post

I have a question for anybody that might have an answer to this. I believe this wouldn't be possible but would like confirmation.

I need:

(2) HDMI outs video and audio for both

plus, I wanted to utilize the analog outs (5.1) to my reciever

(1) HDMI to main TV
(1) HDMI to secondary TV
5.1 analog outs to reciever for 5.1 system

I assume if I change it to Dual HDMI that the Panasonic will stop the output on the analog outs or does this even do video on both HDMI(s)?

Yeah, it will do video from both HDMI outputs.
I don't understand what you want to do with the audio. "When audio is output from HDMI (SUB), audio output from HDMI (MAIN) will be turned off." That's what the manual say's. If you use the 5.1 Analog Audio Outputs for the HDMI (MAIN) you would still have audio and video for the HDMI (SUB). That's my understanding of it anyway.

Al
post #1132 of 1791
Thank you Al.

I believe that is what I am looking for.... The main TV -- I can get away with not having the TV speakers work.

HDMI to TV for picture.... 5.1 analog outs to the reciever for HD decoding.... HDMI (sub) needs to have video and audio to work for the secondary TV.
As long as they can all work at the sametime. That is what I need.
post #1133 of 1791
Ohhhhhh. I forgot to think about this.... Main TV is 3D and the other is not. Playing 3D is going to be a problem, huh?
I know I am asking this player to do too much. eek.gif
post #1134 of 1791

Samsung BD-F7500 vs Panasonic DMP-BDT500 any one?

post #1135 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Samsung BD-F7500 vs Panasonic DMP-BDT500 any one?

Samsung players are junk!

There isn't a Samsung player made that can hold the light that shines on the BDT500.

Al
post #1136 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View PostSamsung players are junk! There isn't a Samsung player made that can hold the light that shines on the BDT500. Al

Ok it was rated 5 stars!

 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-bd-f7500_Blu-ray-Player_review

post #1137 of 1791
Ive owned one and they are fine, as well as LG's. You just arent going to find a more reliable brand with proper FW updates than Panasonic, in the budget range.
post #1138 of 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterscapes View Post

Ohhhhhh. I forgot to think about this.... Main TV is 3D and the other is not. Playing 3D is going to be a problem, huh?
I know I am asking this player to do too much. eek.gif

Yeah, that would be a problem. I've never tried 3D because I don't have a 3D TV but I would think you would have to do one or the other, 2D or 3D, and not both at the same time. If you're just watching one TV at a time it wouldn't be a problem. You can look into it further because I've never messed with the 3D.

Al
post #1139 of 1791
Which remote does this player ship with in North America?
Is it the stubby touchpad one like the 320 or the longer touchpad+buttons one in the early UK reviews?
post #1140 of 1791
Touchpad + buttons. Long remote.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Panasonic DMP BDT500