or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Kindoms of Amular: Reckoning
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kindoms of Amular: Reckoning - Page 2

post #31 of 349
Thread Starter 
The PC version of the Demo is up now as well... http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_...ee-games-en_US
post #32 of 349
played through the demo, it's pretty decent... probably snag it at $40 or less.
post #33 of 349
I dig it! Watching the videos, I didn't realize just how Fable-ish it was going to be. But in a good way.

Putting in a pre-order.
post #34 of 349
Demo went well. As long as the scepter (I think that's the name of the little wand I found in one chest) works as well in the real game I'd enjoy it. Spamming it killed just about everything really quickly, especially after the second level upgrade.

Didn't like the intertwined quests as much. Or perhaps it was needing more gold than I had on hand to get one item, so I had to launch another quest to top off my funds and earn a discount. Skyrim's go-do-THIS quests seem more my speed now.

Not going to pay $60 but I'll get it...
post #35 of 349
Thread Starter 
Played the demo for a few hours last night. I was impressed with the detail they put into the world, as well as the story. Combat is very fluid, and encourages you to dodge/block as well. I played an assassination character, which was fun. I did, however, find out the guards in the first town were a bit to much to handle at level 3 . They pretty much owned me hands down.

The only glitches I ran across were the fast scroll text on one play through, and the bogart death anamation blocky-ness, which were both addressed on the final version of the game.

Great demo overall, giving you the freedom to do whatever you want for 45 minutes after the tutorial. I cannot wait for my pre-order to come through. If you like the game, I encourage you to do pre-order, and support a new IP to get it off the ground .

Dustin
post #36 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I dig it! Watching the videos, I didn't realize just how Fable-ish it was going to be. But in a good way.

Putting in a pre-order.

In my opinion, the combat system is how Fable should have been. I mainly did exploring last night, and crawled through a dungeon. I really enjoyed all of the detail put into the world. Even the doors were unique. I loved finding the lore stones and learning little bits about the world as well. I can easily find myself sinking many hours into this game, to my wife's dismay .
post #37 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

In my opinion, the combat system is how Fable should have been. I mainly did exploring last night, and crawled through a dungeon. I really enjoyed all of the detail put into the world. Even the doors were unique. I loved finding the lore stones and learning little bits about the world as well. I can easily find myself sinking many hours into this game, to my wife's dismay .

I know this demo is only the beginning of the game, but based on this short time with the game I'll have to give a nod to Fable2's combat. I liked F2's three-charge spell/attack system, where you hold down a button and the force and range of the attack grows. I don't know why they messed with that in Fable3! Reckoning had a bit of this with holding the bow for a more powerful attack, and playing as a rogue w/ daggers I got a powerful multi-hit attack that, if button hits were timed properly, could be chained up to 5 times.

But watching the movie at the end of the demo, I get the impression that combat in Reckoning is much more varied and deeper than Fable's, so I'm optimistic.

The detail in the world is very impressive, encouraging exploration. And the lore is fun - not overly serious, again ala Fable. I like the multi-step quest system, and Reckoning does a good job keeping me on track with a quest and knowing what to do. Also, most importantly, the l00t is nice, plentiful, and easy to determine what item has enchantments, and what is better than items currently equipped.

I saw a couple visual glitches in this demo - some ground textures missing, looking like strange holes in the ground or odd stretchy triangles. A conversation with a character or two was missing. Also, audio cut out during one battle with bears, playing only background birds tweeting. I'm certain these are all demo glitches that will be fixed in the final release.

If anyone cares, Newegg has a $12 off coupon - EMCNJJC74 . You have to agree to subscribe to their email newsletter. There's free 3-day shipping, but you might have to pay tax. I don't know if this includes the The Ultimate Treasure Hunter and/or The Fate Touched Weapons DLC Packs? I think I might stick with Amazon to get free release day delivery and lock in that extra content.
post #38 of 349
I haven't been this dissapointed in a demo in a LONG time. The graphics are poor. This game looks just like the Arcade game Torchlight and Torchlight looks better then this game.

Skill/ability tree looks very limited. The first weapon you find, a rusty longsword, is as big as the character, so I can imagine it is going to be the huge cartoony weapon look throughout the game. The camera control is weird, I was walking in a huge open area and the camera re-adjusted itself to try and be behind me by quickly pulling to the right then to the left again, for no reason. There was nothing blocking my way or overhangs, etc. In addition, I was walking down a path and my character did a small adjustment by moving to the right like something was in his way when there was nothing there. Soooo dissapointed in the look and feel of this game.

Plus side, the inventory seems to at least show you what you look like when you equip something. Plus it lets you compare items so you know if it is better.

This is definitely not a $60 game, $40 maybe, but may wait even longer.
post #39 of 349
I was slightly disappointed in the game, but still will be much better than Fable, which I kind of enjoyed. Graphics are just decent, but since it is a demo, may be polished a bit more. Looting will be fun, and having quick access to magic and melee will be nice. Not as pumped about it, but still will be happy to get it day 1.
post #40 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I haven't been this dissapointed in a demo in a LONG time. The graphics are poor. This game looks just like the Arcade game Torchlight and Torchlight looks better then this game.

Skill/ability tree looks very limited. The first weapon you find, a rusty longsword, is as big as the character, so I can imagine it is going to be the huge cartoony weapon look throughout the game. The camera control is weird, I was walking in a huge open area and the camera re-adjusted itself to try and be behind me by quickly pulling to the right then to the left again, for no reason. There was nothing blocking my way or overhangs, etc. In addition, I was walking down a path and my character did a small adjustment by moving to the right like something was in his way when there was nothing there. Soooo dissapointed in the look and feel of this game.

Plus side, the inventory seems to at least show you what you look like when you equip something. Plus it lets you compare items so you know if it is better.

This is definitely not a $60 game, $40 maybe, but may wait even longer.

I definitely do not think it is like Torchlight. It is a fantasy setting, more on par with Fable or World of Warcraft. The graphics are quite a bit better than Torchlight. The camera is very sensitive at first, but if you go into options and turn down the sensitivity, it is much better. They just have it cranked up too high in the demo for my liking. There are invisible walls in the game, (i.e. you cannot jump off the side of stairs, etc.), and I am betting you found a place in a path with one present.
post #41 of 349
I thought the demo was pretty lame. Like a poor mans fable.

This might sound kind of strange, but I'm actually kind of pleased it wasn't that great - the last thing I need right now is another 50 hour epic I feel compelled to play.
post #42 of 349
If indeed it's a poor man's Fable, that's pretty bad. Fable itself is sort of like a "game-lite" in my opinion, where all the interesting mechanics are stripped away to leave nothing but running around and impressing villagers with your emotes. Please tell me this title hasn't been stripped to the bone like Fable III?
post #43 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

If indeed it's a poor man's Fable, that's pretty bad. Fable itself is sort of like a "game-lite" in my opinion, where all the interesting mechanics are stripped away to leave nothing but running around and impressing villagers with your emotes. Please tell me this title hasn't been stripped to the bone like Fable III?

Dont get me wrong. It seemed like a decent game. I just don't think I have the capacity to get invested in another fantasy world. Not unless the underlying game is incredibly well executed, or ground breaking. From the demo, it seemed merely competent. I didn't finish the demo though...20 mins was long enough to know it wasn't going to make the cut of "must play".
post #44 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

If indeed it's a poor man's Fable, that's pretty bad. Fable itself is sort of like a "game-lite" in my opinion, where all the interesting mechanics are stripped away to leave nothing but running around and impressing villagers with your emotes. Please tell me this title hasn't been stripped to the bone like Fable III?

Try the demo. It is definitely not Fable. People mainly get that comparison from the style graphics used.
post #45 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Dont get me wrong. It seemed like a decent game. I just don't think I have the capacity to get invested in another fantasy world. Not unless the underlying game is incredibly well executed, or ground breaking. From the demo, it seemed merely competent. I didn't finish the demo though...20 mins was long enough to know it wasn't going to make the cut of "must play".

Did you get out of the tutorial, (asking because rushing through the tutorial will take at least 20 minutes)? The tutorial is just there to teach you...beyond that is where the game really starts. You will get a message on the screen saying you have 45 minutes to explore and adventure at that point.

Dustin
post #46 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I thought the demo was pretty lame. Like a poor mans fable.

This might sound kind of strange, but I'm actually kind of pleased it wasn't that great - the last thing I need right now is another 50 hour epic I feel compelled to play.

The devs claimed the speed run (100%) took 200 hours. I don't think it is a poor man Fable, the Fable games have been pretty bad since the first. This will be a good game, but ignored for larger names like Gears Effect 3.
post #47 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

I definitely do not think it is like Torchlight. It is a fantasy setting, more on par with Fable or World of Warcraft. The graphics are quite a bit better than Torchlight. The camera is very sensitive at first, but if you go into options and turn down the sensitivity, it is much better. They just have it cranked up too high in the demo for my liking. There are invisible walls in the game, (i.e. you cannot jump off the side of stairs, etc.), and I am betting you found a place in a path with one present.

The camera sensitivity in the options is only for when YOU turn the camera, while I was walking the camera re-adjusted itself twice in the matter of 2 seconds. I turned around, walked back, and it did it again at the same point, even though it was in that HUGE open circular area.

I know there are inv. walls but I was walking down a path in a dungeon, there was nothing in there just the walls and floor, nothing to avoid, go around, etc. and all of a sudden my character side stepped all on his own. Really weird.

I can't believe Rolston wanted this to be his big game launch and felt this was the best roll player he wanted created. He kept talking about in all those interviews on creating the roll player he always wanted to and this is what he felt was the best?????????
post #48 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post


Did you get out of the tutorial, (asking because rushing through the tutorial will take at least 20 minutes)? The tutorial is just there to teach you...beyond that is where the game really starts. You will get a message on the screen saying you have 45 minutes to explore and adventure at that point.

Dustin

No, I basically gave up after I got the daggers. I just didn't like anything about it...the feel of the game, the art style, the ****** camera.

I've heard it's supposed to be like elder scrolls with combat like god of war, and it wasnt even close on either account. I'd rather play the real deal than a derivative.

If the reviews come in and tell a different story I'll certainly give it a second look, but I'm at the point where there's more five star games than I have time to play, and anything lesser just doesn't make the cut.
post #49 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

No, I basically gave up after I got the daggers. I just didn't like anything about it...the feel of the game, the art style, the ****** camera.

I've heard it's supposed to be like elder scrolls with combat like god of war, and it wasnt even close on either account. I'd rather play the real deal than a derivative.

If the reviews come in and tell a different story I'll certainly give it a second look, but I'm at the point where there's more five star games than I have time to play, and anything lesser just doesn't make the cut.

Well, if you do get a little free time, get past the tutorial and explore a bit. It is a very vast game. The tutorial is a little slow to get you acquainted with all of the fighting styles and stealth, but once you get near the end of it things become more interesting.

Initial reviews on the game are good, so hopefully they will keep the momentum going.

Dustin
post #50 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post


Well, if you do get a little free time, get past the tutorial and explore a bit. It is a very vast game. The tutorial is a little slow to get you acquainted with all of the fighting styles and stealth, but once you get near the end of it things become more interesting.

Initial reviews on the game are good, so hopefully they will keep the momentum going.

Dustin

I checked metacritic and don't see any reviews.

Either way, vastness is kind of a turnoff to me right now. What about the game makes it more than just another huge open world game?
post #51 of 349
Thread Starter 
post #52 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post


No, I basically gave up after I got the daggers. I just didn't like anything about it...the feel of the game, the art style, the ****** camera.

I've heard it's supposed to be like elder scrolls with combat like god of war, and it wasnt even close on either account. I'd rather play the real deal than a derivative.

If the reviews come in and tell a different story I'll certainly give it a second look, but I'm at the point where there's more five star games than I have time to play, and anything lesser just doesn't make the cut.

I've only watched video reviews, haven't played it yet myself. I was really hoping for Elder Scrolls with better combat as well. I don't like the look and feel from what I've seen so far. Maybe because I've never played a fantasy rpg before, only Elder Scrolls type rpgs.
post #53 of 349
The aesthetics of this game remind me of WOW and Darksiders. I don't think I'll be sold until I hear more about the actual story though. I find it difficult to spend this much time on massive games when the plot doesn't keep me interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappleby285 View Post

I've only watched video reviews, haven't played it yet myself. I was really hoping for Elder Scrolls with better combat as well. I don't like the look and feel from what I've seen so far. Maybe because I've never played a fantasy rpg before, only Elder Scrolls type rpgs.

Elder Scrolls isn't a fantasy RPG? I'm guessing you meant western style RPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I checked metacritic and don't see any reviews.

Either way, vastness is kind of a turnoff to me right now. What about the game makes it more than just another huge open world game?

There aren't any official reviews out at this point (that I know of). The game isn't out until next month. I know IGN sounds like they have a final copy already and are doing a slow-burn review. Everything else I've seen are previews based on the demo.
post #54 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post

The aesthetics of this game remind me of WOW and Darksiders. I don't think I'll be sold until I hear more about the actual story though. I find it difficult to spend this much time on massive games when the plot doesn't keep me interested.



Elder Scrolls isn't a fantasy RPG? I'm guessing you meant western style RPG?


There aren't any official reviews out at this point (that I know of). The game isn't out until next month. I know IGN sounds like they have a final copy already and are doing a slow-burn review. Everything else I've seen are previews based on the demo.

IGN's review is the one I was referring to. I linked it on page 1.
post #55 of 349
Really felt like the Torchlight demo to me. Have to wait and see...
post #56 of 349
If you scan the various game boards, the majoirty of the complaints are the problems with the camera and how it constantly adjusts itself, even though you have fill camera control.

In addition, why are you forced to look UP all the time, the camera appears to be stuck just below the shoulder so you don't see much in the game. If you push right stick you can go more behind the shoulder but then you loose the benefit of seeing more of your character and what is around you. Really, really weird camera placement.
post #57 of 349
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

If you scan the various game boards, the majoirty of the complaints are the problems with the camera and how it constantly adjusts itself, even though you have fill camera control.

In addition, why are you forced to look UP all the time, the camera appears to be stuck just below the shoulder so you don't see much in the game. If you push right stick you can go more behind the shoulder but then you loose the benefit of seeing more of your character and what is around you. Really, really weird camera placement.

My first play through was a little rough with the camera. However, the second play through something clicked with me about half way through and I had no issues afterwards. There are some tweaks to it in the full release, hopefully they can give you the option to zoom out a little more and "stick" it. I am not as bothered by it, but I am a MMO gamer as well, so I am used to camera function like that.

Dustin
post #58 of 349
Thread Starter 
An art design interview with a few from the Art and Story team : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1vvoszcSPQ
post #59 of 349
Wow. Honestly hadn't heard much about this game until I happened to hear about it on the IGN Podcast. Now I'm reading all this, and all I can really say is how in the hell do people have time for something like this? Skyrim just launched, and I will be spending countless hours in that world in addition to juggling my FPS itch on my 360.

I could really use a large bag of money to find its way to my doorstep so I can stop working and play video games all day long.
post #60 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

My first play through was a little rough with the camera. However, the second play through something clicked with me about half way through and I had no issues afterwards. There are some tweaks to it in the full release, hopefully they can give you the option to zoom out a little more and "stick" it. I am not as bothered by it, but I am a MMO gamer as well, so I am used to camera function like that.

Dustin

I agree the camera may be a case of what people are "use to". Since I also have taken part in a few MMOs, the camera in Amalur is fine with me. I actually think it "feels" good. I don't have the "floating/skimming the ground" feel while moving as is seen in Skyrim and some other games. I have/had no issues with the view I was presented while walking around or fighting. Skyrim's camera when fighting in first person still causes me annoyance even after 80+ hours in. Yet I still LOVE the game and every experience it offers. I see many things they have done in Amalur as "corrections" to game components from other games that people have continually complained about. But in the same breath, there are many here who would say I am out of my mind.

What everyone expects or looks for in a game goes to show what a fickle bunch we gamers are.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › Kindoms of Amular: Reckoning