Originally Posted by powermonkey24
I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new in-box Pioneer Elite Pro-151d. Just wondering if I should go for it at $5,000, or wait for the pn64e8000 to come out. I currently have a pn63c8000 that isn't bad, but I have the TV bug again..any thoughts?
The biggest determinations for me would be picture quality, cost, size, and 3D. I personally could do without 3D, so it would come down to performance, cost, and size. I would certainly prefer the extra 4" but not as much as I'd appreciate the (assumingly) better blacks of the Pioneer Elite. However, for $5000 one could get 2 (!) PN60E8000's before long, and by the end of 2012/beginning of 2013 maybe even 2 PN64E8000's as they'ew phased out for a F-series or such.
That being said, at $5000 you're almost in the early adopter market for a 55" OLED, and will likely be in the price range for one in a year or two. That being the case, I'd personally buy a PN60/64E8000 or Panasonic GT/VT50 in 60-65" and put the remaining $2,000-3,000 in the bank towards a OLED TV in a couple years when you have the TV bug again (seeing as your current TV is a 2010 model and you got the bug 2-years later, its likely you'll be totally set in another couple years in 2014 for a new OLED
I get the TV bug every 3-4 years myself it seems, and I just bought a 2011 D-series Samsung to hopefully hold me over until 2014-15 when the 'bug' comes back and I'm hoping by then OLEDs will have fully arrived!