or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › MGM Hitchcock on Blu-ray
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MGM Hitchcock on Blu-ray

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any threads.

amazon have NOTORIOUS, REBECCA and SPELLBOUND up for pre-order for January 24th.

No extras listed but the DVDs had extras including commentaries.

Pretty cheap looking coverart:



Why do they never use the Criterion arkwork for Notorious? One of the most striking covers ever.

Also why not release them in a boxset? Getting all three movies is expensive - after shipping it's over $60.
post #2 of 84
I sure hope they get nice transfers.
post #3 of 84
Don't like the cover art either. That style might work for North by Northwest, but looks pretty stupid on something like Rebecca (the only one I'm getting for sure.)
post #4 of 84
Great to see, I love Spellbound.


Art
post #5 of 84
*squeals like a girl*'

OMG...I'm like so there!

Can't wait. (I've been back on another Hitchcock kick recently, and those films are ones I was wishing would come to Blu-Ray).
post #6 of 84
watched rear window on DVD last night... I was wondering when they would get around to more AH releases.
post #7 of 84
Day 1 buys! Excellent Hitchcock!
post #8 of 84
Been waiting for these! Can't wait.
post #9 of 84
They're catalog titles from MGM and Fox... don't expect the royal treatment like full restorations, brand new masters, etc. that they so richly deserve.
post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

They're catalog titles from MGM and Fox... don't expect the royal treatment like full restorations, brand new masters, etc. that they so richly deserve.

Fox are normally excellent, also MGM just look at mad max, Pelham and more
post #11 of 84
Hope Vertigo is on the way soon.
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

They're catalog titles from MGM and Fox... don't expect the royal treatment like full restorations, brand new masters, etc. that they so richly deserve.

Full restorations? Probably not, but I am more pleased with MGM latest catalog titles then say Universal (yeah I am kinda picking on them) pq wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Fox are normally excellent, also MGM just look at mad max, Pelham and more

Mad Max does look very good, sure brand new scans at 4K would be even better but at $10 a great buy.
post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Full restorations? Probably not, but I am more pleased with MGM latest catalog titles then say Universal (yeah I am kinda picking on them) pq wise.

MGM can go either way, but yeah, even their older masters usually look at least OK.

Compare Blue Velvet to Scarface for example, I believe both BDs use DVD masters from around 2002.
post #14 of 84
Blu-ray.com's Spellbound review

I don't know, the screenshots don't look too bad. I guess there's not enough DNR for poor Jeffrey Kauffman.
post #15 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post

Blu-ray.com's Spellbound review

I don't know, the screenshots don't look too bad. I guess there's not enough DNR for poor Jeffrey Kauffman.

It doesn't bode well when the reviewer comments that the dvd has better contrast and black level. Or that this BD will do until Criterian gets a crack at it.
post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post


It doesn't bode well when the reviewer comments that the dvd has better contrast and black level. Or that this BD will do until Criterian gets a crack at it.

Reviewers lol
post #17 of 84
post #18 of 84
post #19 of 84
Anybody know what film elements are used for these transfers? While the result looks like film the MTF is so much down that this must come from internegatives and "worse". I can only wonder what these films would look like if the camera negatives were used instead.
post #20 of 84
Maybe I'm wrong but they seem to look fairly similar to Criterion's The Lady Vanishes, which according to the booklet was from a fine-grain master positive.

Either way they're quite decent so I'm going to get Rebecca on release, and maybe the other two if they drop below $10.
post #21 of 84
Unfortunately, the negative for Spellbound was lost to deterioration, and those for Rebecca and Notorious are partially missing and partially damaged beyond use. The current restorations, done in the late '90s, were sourced from combinations of the negatives (where usable), master positives, and prints (including Selznick's personal print of Spellbound).
post #22 of 84
Thread Starter 
Rebecca mouse over using DVDbeaver screenshot:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/103057
post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post

Unfortunately, the negative for Spellbound was lost to deterioration, and those for Rebecca and Notorious are partially missing and partially damaged beyond use. The current restorations, done in the late '90s, were sourced from combinations of the negatives (where usable), master positives, and prints (including Selznick's personal print of Spellbound).

The restorations should be redone digitally then. The old approach is really not optimal here since various elements need to be recopied and recopied and when a restoration negative is finally patched together it needs to be copied as well for preservation and prints. In the end you watch 6th generation material and beyond. With digital restoration on Blu Ray you can watch first generation for all first generation parts, second generation for all second generation parts and so on. No more generational loss beyond the best scanned elements.
post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

Rebecca mouse over using DVDbeaver screenshot:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/103057

Very nice! Thanks for the link. I'm eagerly awaiting these releases, especially since I sold my Criterion DVDs (took a gamble).

Doug
post #25 of 84
post #26 of 84
Spellbound does look kinda sharpened (has a bit of EE in cap 18 around the characters) then the other two, not enough to deter buying though. All three are better then I expected and beat Psyhco for pq as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Anybody know what film elements are used for these transfers? While the result looks like film the MTF is so much down that this must come from internegatives and "worse". I can only wonder what these films would look like if the camera negatives were used instead.

You mean modulation transfer function? Could you explain that more?
post #27 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Spellbound does look kinda sharpened (has a bit of EE in cap 18 around the characters) then the other two, not enough to deter buying though. All three are better then I expected and beat Psyhco for pq as far as I can tell.
You mean modulation transfer function? Could you explain that more?

Yes, MTF. Which is higher on Psycho. But Psycho has also too much processing for my taste.
One effect of copying film elements is that the MTF goes inevitably down and with it apparent sharpness and detail. Another that grain accumulates on top of each other and yet another that shadow/highlight and colour detail gets squeezed out of the images or distorted. The last can be minimised with careful copying, but accumulation of grain/noise and loss of MTF is unavoidable. Only with digital procedures you can patch a new restoration negative or positive together and have a minimal constant loss added to the quality of each element, but no element gets degraded further by copying.
post #28 of 84
Looking for a good deal on all three... wonder why they didn't do a boxset?
post #29 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Yes, MTF. Which is higher on Psycho. But Psycho has also too much processing for my taste.
One effect of copying film elements is that the MTF goes inevitably down and with it apparent sharpness and detail. Another that grain accumulates on top of each other and yet another that shadow/highlight and colour detail gets squeezed out of the images or distorted. The last can be minimised with careful copying, but accumulation of grain/noise and loss of MTF is unavoidable. Only with digital procedures you can patch a new restoration negative or positive together and have a minimal constant loss added to the quality of each element, but no element gets degraded further by copying.

So if I am reading you correctly you are talking about a well known printing effect. If you make a print copy of say a inked drawing the copy is a slightly degraded duplicate and if you make a copy of the copy the degrading is multiplied and so on.
post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

So if I am reading you correctly you are talking about a well known printing effect. If you make a print copy of say a inked drawing the copy is a slightly degraded duplicate and if you make a copy of the copy the degrading is multiplied and so on.

Yes. Multiplicative chain.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › MGM Hitchcock on Blu-ray