or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Sampson S-Convert replacement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sampson S-Convert replacement

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
I need to bump the output from a receiver through a Minidsp to a Crown Amp.
I have used a Sampson S-Convert in the past but it has been discontinued.

Is there a cost effective replacement?
post #2 of 33
Good question. It is a nice little box. Look forward to what others say.

JSS
post #3 of 33
Rane Balance Buddy B22 could work. Not as cheap as the samson though.
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf View Post

I need to bump the output from a receiver through a Minidsp to a Crown Amp.
I have used a Sampson S-Convert in the past but it has been discontinued.

Is there a cost effective replacement?

What receiver are you using? have you tried to increase the receiver's channels' output trim? perhaps you can consider Art cleanbox pro
post #5 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

What receiver are you using? have you tried to increase the receiver's channels' output trim? perhaps you can consider Art cleanbox pro

That looks like it will do it thanks. Yes I have played with levels and I can not get enough output to fully drive the amp.
post #6 of 33
Search on the cleanbox. I recall reading that it has a rather high LF rolloff.
post #7 of 33
I have a modded cleanbox, flat to 5hz using the same parts as the huge thread on Home Theater Shack. I don't use it anymore, $50 shipped if you're interested. It was used with an older sony ES receiver I had to a ep2500.

PM me if you're interested.
post #8 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Search on the cleanbox. I recall reading that it has a rather high LF rolloff.

What is rather high? I have a high pass at 15hz on this?
post #9 of 33
Why not just get another S-Convert?

I'm sure some of us know where to find a spare one.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Why not just get another S-Convert?

I'm sure some of us know where to find a spare one.

Helpful post of the year!!!
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf View Post

What is rather high? I have a high pass at 15hz on this?

I don't recall OTTOMH, so you'll need to search. I was simply pointing it out in case it proves to be an issue.
post #12 of 33
Thread Starter 
Thanks hopefully I can lay my hands on a used Sampson.
post #13 of 33
If you know someone in Canada you can buy and ship a Sampson to them and they could ship it to you since Axe doesn't ship to the U.S.

http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?...istory=related
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Helpful post of the year!!!

The wink makes me think DS-21 has one, or knows where one can be found, which would make it a helpful post once the two PM each other...Or I could have just been reading in to things.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

***Or I could have just been reading in to things.

post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post


Well then.

postCount++;
return null;
post #17 of 33
Let's just say I no longer use pro amps (all of my subs are either powered by onboard plate amps, or consumer rack amps with suitably low input sensitivity) but for a while I did.
post #18 of 33
post #19 of 33
Are there any DIY kits for this kinda device? Seems like it shouldnt' be too expensive to build a simple step up box for 1 or 2 channels...
post #20 of 33
I have a Samson S-Convert if someone is interested. I'm not using it right now. PM me for details.
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post

Are there any DIY kits for this kinda device? Seems like it shouldnt' be too expensive to build a simple step up box for 1 or 2 channels...

Yes, Rod Elliott has some amongst others. Pick the slope you want to HPF at and download the free calculator (for LR2 and 4) in Project 81. Adjust the gain via the input or output buffer, and only add the LPF section if you need it. Complete LM317/337 based PSU modules are on ebay for about $20 last I looked (built) so add a small transformer and put it in a box. You can even add an LT or parametric EQ if you want.

Most power amps and many line level devices have their 3dB LF point defined by a single series DC blocking cap to give a 6dB/oct roll off.

You could also look at modifying a commercial item like a CX2310 if you can get a schematic. Some of the older Ranes like the AC23 are also good.
post #22 of 33
I have one of these in my system

http://www.henryeng.com/matchbox.html

Works great and has excellent specs. Although a bit pricey.
post #23 of 33
mic2200
post #24 of 33
WANTED to buy: RCA input Samson S-convert Bump Box. With Paypal funds to 04015. Must work and have stock power supply.

If you see this rascal approach with caution!
Cuff that goat roper with some bubblewrap then box him up for a one way trip on the pony express for your reward! & send him to.


Sheriff JasonPCtech

I might even deputize you partner
!:whistling:

post #25 of 33
OK OK OK OK. Ive been trying to work through some other stuff in the theater while all along I have my several signal boosters in the back waiting to all be tested head to head. right now I have the ATI mm100, cleanbox PRO, samson, and matchbox HD, all of which do the same thing, convert from rca to pro level. All of these sans the samson are still pretty easy to find. I WILL TRY MY BEST to run them all through a loopback on REW tonight and post the results if anyone cares to wait a few. Obviously the winning box I shall keep, all others will go up for the first or highest bidder.
post #26 of 33
We got that Cowpuncher, he was hiding in Salt lake City in Poll Sound in his best NIB duds!
Thanks, to all that read my post!

Now gather round the camp fire, here's the story.

I just called,
Andrew Glasmacher
Poll Sound
4026 South Main Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84107
(801) 261-2500 office

(801) 660-8835 mobile
(801) 262-7379 fax

He was a great help sold me the NIB S-Convert box at cost saying because it was the last one for $36+ shipping for a total of $50.
I also told him that Bobdog from this Klipsch forums had seen the box on the shelf in Salt Lake UT.
Te overall experience was great and Andrew made it sound like they were ramping up web sales by changing the site and putting more resources into future internet sales. Give Andrew a call and tell him Bobdog sent you!
So in light of that I will post this info on the sites I did my WTB posts. AVS, HTS & Klipsch.
Thanks to Bobdog & Andrew for the help!
Now we'll have Samson SC hop in the corral with that big bad 1200w 338ltr Sonosub and see if he can make it sing. God help the lil fe
post #27 of 33
I do not want to high-jack this thread but I just purchased one of these today, I am new to Pro Amps, does this handle only one amp at a time? I just purchased 2 Crown XLS-1500's; too; one for the centre channel (bridge-mono) and the other is in (Stereo-Bypass) for the Front L/R, I want to run the front sound-stage with ample headroom based on my taste in fidelity and overkill.

I played around with the Samson S-Convert all night and could not seem to get it right, leading me to believe that it will only run 1 signal at a time from unbalanced to balanced or unbalanced to unbalanced. Again I apologize if this is construed as high-jacking.

I have to edit this, I again went back to the Samson to try and figure it out; alas I am returning it tomorrow. I cannot get it going with even one input/output, I may be doing something completely wrong but I do not think so. Without the Samson in the mix running XLR-RCA from amp to AVR I get sound from the front L/R and centre respectively from the Crown 1500's granted I have to raise the trim a little more. I cannot let this sit, it needs to be addressed...any ideas as to what I am doing wrong???
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

OK OK OK OK. Ive been trying to work through some other stuff in the theater while all along I have my several signal boosters in the back waiting to all be tested head to head. right now I have the ATI mm100, cleanbox PRO, samson, and matchbox HD, all of which do the same thing, convert from rca to pro level. All of these sans the samson are still pretty easy to find. I WILL TRY MY BEST to run them all through a loopback on REW tonight and post the results if anyone cares to wait a few. Obviously the winning box I shall keep, all others will go up for the first or highest bidder.

I look forward to hearing about your findings Beast. Some solid measurement data should take care of the the conjecture we have about these products.


Cheers, Joe
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderheader View Post

I do not want to high-jack this thread but I just purchased one of these today, I am new to Pro Amps, does this handle only one amp at a time? I just purchased 2 Crown XLS-1500's; too; one for the centre channel (bridge-mono) and the other is in (Stereo-Bypass) for the Front L/R, I want to run the front sound-stage with ample headroom based on my taste in fidelity and overkill.

I played around with the Samson S-Convert all night and could not seem to get it right, leading me to believe that it will only run 1 signal at a time from unbalanced to balanced or unbalanced to unbalanced. Again I apologize if this is construed as high-jacking.

I have to edit this, I again went back to the Samson to try and figure it out; alas I am returning it tomorrow. I cannot get it going with even one input/output, I may be doing something completely wrong but I do not think so. Without the Samson in the mix running XLR-RCA from amp to AVR I get sound from the front L/R and centre respectively from the Crown 1500's granted I have to raise the trim a little more. I cannot let this sit, it needs to be addressed...any ideas as to what I am doing wrong???

not sure what you are doing wrong, but it doesnt matter, you dont need that samson for your mains or center on the xls-1500 since it has RCA inputs on it in the first place! I fiddled an fiddled with my cleanbox inline for my mains until I realized that it was completely unecessary.

With that said, the monoprice xlr-->RCA cables only seem to work about half the time. all three that ive purchased have not worked, and I know of TOO MANY other instances where folks have had the same problem as I. not sure if you are using these anywhere but that it usually problem "A". Problem "B" is using the input RCA and output RCA at the same time, just as in the above paragraph, this really does nothing to help you out. assuming you are going rca cable from AVR to rca input of the samson and then xlr output of samson to xlr input of the crown:

Did you forget to plug the samson in? Dumb question but have to ask

adjust the gain pots on the samson?

What is your subwoofer trim level set on the receiver? try setting it higher
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE View Post

I look forward to hearing about your findings Beast. Some solid measurement data should take care of the the conjecture we have about these products.


Cheers, Joe

Alas, I will get these findings out soon, unfortunately I still have not sat down and run them all yet, and tonight doesnt look too good either but we shall see. I first have to move my subs out and remove the drivers as they will be finding a new home tomorrow Time to start building again!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Sampson S-Convert replacement