or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Copy and paste windows image to another partition?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Copy and paste windows image to another partition?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I recently used Windows 7's built in backup feature to make an image of my whole system. I saved the image to drive F: My question was if I could copy the image to another partition in the same hard drive. Will it get corrupt? Has anyone tried it before?

Thanks for your assistance.
post #2 of 5
I've done it before, but I'm not sure if the paste job stands on its own (meaning if something happens to your original, if it would be able to restore your system. I'm not sure if there are any hidden files or settings).

Irregardless, my image file which was on my hard drive became corrupted. As such, I would never recommend anyone to keep their image file on a hard drive. Instead, burn it to a 25GB disk if you have a blu ray player. If not, you could always put it on a series of disks.
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

I recently used Windows 7's built in backup feature to make an image of my whole system. I saved the image to drive F: My question was if I could copy the image to another partition in the same hard drive. Will it get corrupt? Has anyone tried it before?

Thanks for your assistance.

You never want to save the image to a partition on the same drive. Do you think that if C: goes bad the other partition on the same drive will be good? Use a completely different drive to store the image. Although you could use a BluRay disc does the emergency restore disk have the necessary drivers to restore it? I've got a bunch of old 40-80 gig hard drives and store multiple image copies on them then disconnect them and put them in a draw. Lightning strikes aren't going to hurt them, no scratched DVDs, and no "I'm running out of storage..I'll never need that backup image" and replace it with 50 movie rips.
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyken View Post

You never want to save the image to a partition on the same drive. Do you think that if C: goes bad the other partition on the same drive will be good? Use a completely different drive to store the image. Although you could use a BluRay disc does the emergency restore disk have the necessary drivers to restore it? I've got a bunch of old 40-80 gig hard drives and store multiple image copies on them then disconnect them and put them in a draw. Lightning strikes aren't going to hurt them, no scratched DVDs, and no "I'm running out of storage..I'll never need that backup image" and replace it with 50 movie rips.

It's an external drive I was talking about. I have a few blurays saved on it and was deciding on organizing everything a little bit more.

My question still remains though. Haven't gotten a clear cut answer.
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

It's an external drive I was talking about. I have a few blurays saved on it and was deciding on organizing everything a little bit more.

My question still remains though. Haven't gotten a clear cut answer.

The Windows 7 image file is independent meaning any copy will work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Copy and paste windows image to another partition?