or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Rate my build, comments, suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate my build, comments, suggestions

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Ok, Heres what I came up with....Average sized apartment living room. 55 inch tv, Lots of old consoles so I need upscaling on the receiver.

Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer $282
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

12 inch sub too much?

Polk Audio Monitor 50 AM5025-A 2-Way Floorstanding Speaker $123 x2=246
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AJA746BHQ7SCI

4 Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers $134x2 = 264
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker $110
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Onkyo TX-NR809 $699
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS

I'm VERY iffy about the onkyo tx-nr809. Other suggestions welcome!

Total: 1610.

SimpleC
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

Ok, Heres what I came up with....Average sized apartment living room. 55 inch tv, Lots of old consoles so I need upscaling on the receiver.

Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer $282
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

12 inch sub too much?

Polk Audio Monitor 50 AM5025-A 2-Way Floorstanding Speaker $123 x2=246
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AJA746BHQ7SCI

4 Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers $134x2 = 264
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker $110
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Onkyo TX-NR809 $699
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS

I'm VERY iffy about the onkyo tx-nr809. Other suggestions welcome!

Total: 1610.

SimpleC

My first comment would be what is the size of an "apartment sized living room"?

Assuming you mean something like a couple of hundred square feet with normal ceilings, I would go for a 5.1 system.

Why? Because not that much material is in 7.1, placing seven speakers in a room that size might be challenging and it is better to have five good speakers than seven mediocre ones.

2nd, the matching center for the Monitor 50's is the CS1:

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...ent/monitor50/

Others that are more informed on Polk speakers can chime in on the suitability of the CS1.

3rd, I think you are putting a bit more money percentage wise into a receiver than you need to.

Most people thinkg 1/4 to 1/3 of your build should be in the receiver. You have over 40 percent of your budget in the receiver.

4th and finally, I think for a small space you don't really needs towers. Some bookshelf speakers would fill that space well and give you more quality for the dollar.

Please do understand this is just my opinion.

Others will probably chime in.


Finally, I think that the
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
My living room isn't that big so I don't need massive speakers. I sit maybe 10 feet away from my tv. Almost all my audio is flac.

I keep reading the ratio on the receiver to speakers, but for me the receiver is extremely important. I need the upscaling + it will be the hub for all my devices to run through. 7.2 or 7.1 for future proof and I may run my computer through it.

I'm also looking at those tower speakers as a bit large for my needs.. I'm still reading/looking though. Seems like every time I change my mind the price goes up =D

So will see. Thanks for the input!
SimpleC
post #4 of 27
12" sub is never to much,just gotta balance the volume to correct levels.
post #5 of 27
Are you looking for a rating, or just confirmation - Also, have you
listened to the Polks?
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

My living room isn't that big so I don't need massive speakers. I sit maybe 10 feet away from my tv. Almost all my audio is flac.

I keep reading the ratio on the receiver to speakers, but for me the receiver is extremely important. I need the upscaling + it will be the hub for all my devices to run through. 7.2 or 7.1 for future proof and I may run my computer through it.

I'm also looking at those tower speakers as a bit large for my needs.. I'm still reading/looking though. Seems like every time I change my mind the price goes up =D

So will see. Thanks for the input!
SimpleC

I understand your want of upscaling and needing HDMI inputs, but aren't less expensive receivers that fit those needs?

For example, I thought the Onkyo 609 did upscaling and it has six HDMI inputs.

Amazon has it for less than $400 right now.

That is a huge savings.
post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Confirmation.. and no I haven't heard polk yet. But they have so many good reviews on amazon and that works for me. Plus they are reasonably priced

I'm thinking I'll switch out the 2 tower speakers and grab 2 of the Polk Audio TSi200
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Then for the back go with the TSi100
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Still going with the cs10 for center
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sub stays the same 12 inch for 285 is a good deal with those kind of reviews.
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
That's an excellent point on the 609.. the 809 is pretty overkill.
post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
Will that work? Can I use 4 of the TSi100 with the 2 of TSi200 for front?
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

That's an excellent point on the 609.. the 809 is pretty overkill.

+1

And for the difference in price, you could upgrade subs to a Rythmik FV12 or Epik Legend. That would not be overkill, but much better bass for movies and music
post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
Both of those subs look interesting technology wise.. and I'd be leaning towards the Epik Legend just because technically it's 2 subwoofers in 1.

No idea if it's actually better though..
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

Both of those subs look interesting technology wise.. and I'd be leaning towards the Epik Legend just because technically it's 2 subwoofers in 1.

No idea if it's actually better though..

I would say that both of those are better than any sub that sells at retail for $1000 (or even more) at Best Buy and places like that. The dual sealed design of the Legend means that it has very little cabinet vibration. It's hard to know which one will have more volume output; the Rythmik might go a little deeper in low frequency extension. But either are a big jump in class over the Polk PSW505. In fact, both have such good bass sound quality that they will match very nicely with the TSi200s. I know would I have trouble picking between the two (I did, but went with a more expensive sub )

If you need to find out more, research on the AVS subwoofer forum. There are owners threads for both Epik and Rythmik, and people constantly discussing them in regular threads, too.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

Both of those subs look interesting technology wise.. and I'd be leaning towards the Epik Legend just because technically it's 2 subwoofers in 1.

No idea if it's actually better though..

What is your budget for the speakers, sub and receiver total?
post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 
I'm willing to get up to 1600 MAX
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

I'm willing to get up to 1600 MAX


These are just a few thoughts by me and I do not proclaim them as gospel.

Then something along the line of the 609 receiver (or anything that has upscaling and enough inputs).

One of the subs mentioned or maybe an Emotiva or HSU sub.

Then a system of a couple pairs of Primus P162's and a PC350.

Or a system of a couple of pairs of Cambridge S30 and a Cambridge S50.

Both Amazon and Crutchfield sell the Primus and Cambridge speakers.

Use coupons when shopping at Crutchfield, plus a cashback site.

For Amazon, use a Chase Rewards card if you have one. If you register for rewards this quarter, Amazon gives you 5% back.
post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
Great suggestions thank you.. And wow crutcchfield has the primus for 50% less then amazon! Awesome... I think we have a winner!
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

One of the subs mentioned or maybe an Emotiva or HSU sub.

+1

The Emotiva subs are very nice for music listeners. They roll off at 30hz, so not so hot for HT use. HSU makes some great subs. I only suggested the FV12 and Legend above because their 12" subs are a little cheaper.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

Great suggestions thank you.. And wow crutcchfield has the primus for 50% less then amazon! Awesome... I think we have a winner!

Yes, and that is before using coupons.

So the deal gets even better.

Not buy a huge amount, but hey, why not save money?
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Got a coupon code? =)
post #20 of 27
Thread Starter 
So yeah, got it down to 1460.. missing 2 speakers so it'll be 5.1 for now and I'll add the 2 later.

I'm 12 days away from buying and when I do I plan on making a video of un-boxing and reviewing all the speakers as well as the 609.

Thanks for all the input and help! =)
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

So yeah, got it down to 1460.. missing 2 speakers so it'll be 5.1 for now and I'll add the 2 later.

I'm 12 days away from buying and when I do I plan on making a video of un-boxing and reviewing all the speakers as well as the 609.

Thanks for all the input and help! =)

Congrats!

I am sure you will be very happy and thrilled with your system.

BTW, which sub are you getting?
post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
Ok I lied, it came to 1569.. Here's almost the final build. Still not completely sure on the sub yet.

Onkyo 609
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN6...-TX-NR609.html

Infinity Primus PC351 center
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PC35...mus-PC351.html

Infinity Primus P362 x2
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P362...imus-P362.html

Infinity Primus P163 x2
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P163...imus-P163.html

Sub... Not completely sold on it yet but to keep it all infinity
Infinity PS212
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PS21...ck-grille.html
OR
Epic Legend Subwoofer
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html
100$ more but worth it I think.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would it be ok to use the p163 for the back and then maybe get some p152's for the mid?
Infinity PrimusĀ® P153
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P153...53.html?tp=186
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

Ok I lied, it came to 1569.. Here's almost the final build. Still not completely sure on the sub yet.

Onkyo 609
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN6...-TX-NR609.html

Infinity Primus PC351 center
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PC35...mus-PC351.html

Infinity Primus P362 x2
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P362...imus-P362.html

Infinity Primus P163 x2
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P163...imus-P163.html

Sub... Not completely sold on it yet but to keep it all infinity
Infinity PS212
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PS21...ck-grille.html
OR
Epic Legend Subwoofer
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html
100$ more but worth it I think.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would it be ok to use the p163 for the back and then maybe get some p152's for the mid?
Infinity PrimusĀ® P153
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P153...53.html?tp=186


Sounds like a righteous system!

No need to go with an Infinity subs, those do not need to match the rest of your speakers.

The general consensus is that Internet Direct subs are a better deal than the ones sold by retailers.

I am not that familiar with 7.X systems, someone else will need to answer that question about mixing 153 and 163 speakers.
post #24 of 27
Newegg has a deal on these speakers http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290206 it's a sweet deal there almost the same price as the Tsi-100's.
post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Newegg has a deal on these speakers http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290206 it's a sweet deal there almost the same price as the Tsi-100's.

Those same speakers are 124 on amazon. Only difference from series 2 is they are black.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon...sr=1-1-catcorr
post #26 of 27
bladerunner6 is right. No need to buy the same sub brand, unlike with matching the rest of the speakers.

The Infinity PS12 is closer in performance to the BIC PL-200 and Klipsch RW-12D being recommended in this recent discussion: Best sub for $300 delivered?. The Legend is a class above all of these, and is considered an excellent value at its price in comparison to how those subs are at $300. With the Legend, then you are leaving the budget range into lower level enthusiast class subs.

Finally, I don't know much about it, but you might want to check on the amp heating problem in the Infinity sub series.
post #27 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thanks for pointing the heating issue out cel. I'm really leaning towards the Legend sub. I'll just have to wait and see =)

I'm also dropping the 609 and going with Pioneer VSX-1121-K. Onkyo has to many problems from what I'm reading and I don't want to risk it. The vsx does everything and I like Pioneer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Rate my build, comments, suggestions