I just found this thread and went through the 20 pages and I have questions.
I have a WD TV Live Plus and thought of looking for another player option
while waiting for responses to my questions about it which is when I found this thread.
This player seems interesting but I would still like to have the same questions answered
before possibly getting one.
1. I also just saw the new one with the android os and I was wondering, if I don't play
games or need calculators on the tv and so on, what would be my main use for different apps?
2. Would I be able to get some version of firefox as I hate both IE and Chrome?
3. In the regular AIOS, can I watch all video types on youtube?
4. Also, did they replace the old remote on the original unit or is it the same as the one
people were complaining about? I just now saw that they did but will new units sold
have the new or old remotes and if so, would you see that on the order page do you think?
Mind you, I would possibly go for a used unit from someone here WITH the good firmware
installed if I got one which would mean I would have to get the replacement remote anyway.
5. I have two harmony remotes and the last one I got a few weeks ago is this model..(300i) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880111041
Would the buttons translate well for the AIOS unit? Would I have to map them individually so to speak or do they have an option
on their site for the AIOS?
6. I saw the code file for the remote. Is this something I can do myself for the Harmony or something?
7. What's the deal with the remote for the NEW unit? Better?
8. Can I use external keyboards (wireless) with any/both of the units?
Also, thanks in advance for all the work you guys do like helping us out and writing firmware.
I've never updated any firmware on my WD TV and I don't have this unit either but that's not
the point. I appreciate it regardless.
GusGus. Congrats on your unRaid server. I've had one for close to 2 years now and I love it. I only have 8 drives out of 15 possible
but it's time to pop a few ones in (12 gigs available and around 10 used)
Anyway, here are my questions and I'm copying the whole text from my other post
on the WD TV thread so that it makes more sense.
Guys, I bought the WD TV Live Streaming (WDBHG70000NBK-NESN) some time ago but didn't really like the changes they made to the UI so I sold it to a buddy of mine.
However, I"m rethinking the decision and would like to ask a few questions.
There are a few features that I miss on the regular WD TV Live Plus.
First, one of the things I don't like on the Streaming unit and I think I asked here but never got a reply on that.
When I have a list of files, in Streaming, I see TWO columns vs ONE in the older unit.
This is all good unless you have LONG filenames, in which case I have to wait till each
one of them starts scrolling to see what I'm looking at.
Here are things I miss on the Plus unit that I would like to know if they are available on the Streaming unit.
1. On the Plus unit, unless you're using the MUSIC mode to listen to music or the VIDEO mode to watch
video clips, even if they are music clips, you miss out on many features.
This always irritated me and I always wished for a simple mode, kinda like the file management or like
on a regular computer. You find the file/directory you want to play and just play it and if there IS video, it
shows up and if not, you just get the sound.
Also, if I play through the music option, I can back out of the song into the list while it continues to play,
I can't do that if I do the video mode.
Is this doable on the Streaming unit?
2. I have lots of files and I tend to organize them well with lots of sub directories and folders.
This means that often, it can take quite some time to dig down to where I want to be, ESPECIALLY
if I'm watching a video file but want to go into music mode and into the music folder.
Is there an option to have certain folders and/or MODES set up as shortcuts or something?
3. How about bookmarking a spot where you left off and I dont' mean IN the file itself, but the location?
4. Is the streaming unit as stable and bulletproof as the plus unit?
5. Can you go to the MENU/HOME and make changes and then go right back to where you were
rather than having to go through the whole process of finding the file you were playing?
6. When you pause or fast forward or anything, you see the progress bar at the bottom which covers
a big part of the screen. Is there a way to get it to go away faster than the 5 seconds (or whatever)
it takes now before it disappears?
7. Any way to go back just a few seconds with one click like you can do on a dish DVR?
8. Why is it so flaky REWINDING compared to FAST FORWARDING?
9. If the WD doesn't do all this, is there another player that does that offers the same simple UI,
reads same amount of file types and is as bulletproof as the WD and yes, I do think it is a very well
made unit and I've had very few problems with it.
Thanks for any replies