or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread - Page 30

post #871 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

Are the Western Digital "Green" drives suitable for installation in the AIOS?
Yup
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post

i have same question, but rephrasing the question - any considerations purchasing internal HDDs to install inside AiOS?
Nothing much, but as commonly recommended for these class of devices, low RPM low power drives are recommended.
post #872 of 1110
Can you recommend a tutorial or guide to setup NFS on a Mac mini running Mountain Lion for my AIOS to access MKV and stream without issues?

I've tested with SMB streaming and it was stuttering almost all the time, I understand that NFS shares will be faster.
post #873 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Can you recommend a tutorial or guide to setup NFS on a Mac mini running Mountain Lion for my AIOS to access MKV and stream without issues?

I've tested with SMB streaming and it was stuttering almost all the time, I understand that NFS shares will be faster.
Yup NFS should be faster, but before leaving SMB, were you on the Semiofficial R21 firmware ?
Also do you have a Gbit network ? do you have jumbo frames enabled (if so disable it).
post #874 of 1110
Yes I have Gigabit, where I can find "jumbo frames"?

Any other tweaks? It is wireless (N) a possibility for 2D blu ray MKV rip or I'll need ethernet?
post #875 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Yes I have Gigabit, where I can find "jumbo frames"?
Its platform dependant, google is your friend.
Quote:
Any other tweaks? It is wireless (N) a possibility for 2D blu ray MKV rip or I'll need ethernet?
Depends on how the MKV is encoded, if it was me I would take a wifi AP any time of the day.
post #876 of 1110
Thank you for your reply, sorry not too tech savvy over here, what is a WIFI AP? MKV was made with MakeMKV from my Blu Ray, main movie and HD audio.
post #877 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Yes I have Gigabit, where I can find "jumbo frames"?

You don't need Jumbo Frames. In order for this to work all of your devices must support it.

Any other tweaks? It is wireless (N) a possibility for 2D blu ray MKV rip or I'll need ethernet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Thank you for your reply, sorry not too tech savvy over here, what is a WIFI AP? MKV was made with MakeMKV from my Blu Ray, main movie and HD audio.

I noticed that the AIOS has issue playing some MKV files. I would suggest ripping to M2TS file format instead. This didn't happen with every MKV file though.
post #878 of 1110
Thank you, I've enabled NFS on Mac and it is playing full MKV rips with HD audio over Wireless N very well, no stutter and loving this, any news about a new model? all the streamer that I see on Amazon or other stores are from 2011, do you know of some new chips coming this year?

To enable NFS on Mountain Lion install this software http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

Then watch this quick YouTube tutorial and you will be set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z38skeXb7U
post #879 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Thank you, I've enabled NFS on Mac and it is playing full MKV rips with HD audio over Wireless N very well, no stutter and loving this, any news about a new model? all the streamer that I see on Amazon or other stores are from 2011, do you know of some new chips coming this year?

To enable NFS on Mountain Lion install this software http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

Then watch this quick YouTube tutorial and you will be set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z38skeXb7U

Thanks for the update.

By the way, R22 is already out.
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434&start=470#p27750

Good to know you can do MKVs over wifi N, you must have a crystal clear band with no interference.

AP: access point, connect over wifi to your network and can be wired to your devices (so basically allow wifi access to non-wifi devices using ethernet).
post #880 of 1110
Great, I'll check R22 right now redface.gif)

I believe that is how I'm connected now as I was trying via power-line but the streaming experience was not good.

Right now I have an Airport Extreme on one room connected to a cable modem creating a wireless N network, then I have a Mac mini with all the movies on an NFS shared drive on Wireless N, I have the AIOS in my living room connected via Ethernet to an Aiport Express that is extending the 5hz N network from my other room, it looks like is doing the trick as it is playing everything very smooth, full MKV rips (30GB-40GB) HD audio, subtitles, no problem.

An easier and absolutely free way for MAc users to enable NFS is the NFS pref panel from fire core, download here http://support.firecore.com/entries/20631337-Streaming-From-Mac-OS-X-10-7-Lion-Mountain-Lion-
post #881 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

I believe that is how I'm connected now
Indeed you do, the idea is offload wifi overhead from the AIOS and this is exactly what your setup achieves.
post #882 of 1110
That's great then, very happy with full BD streaming now, I'm in panic mode installing R22, I've got the AIOS 4 days ago and installed R21 and now R22 but I never find the "SRJG Jukebox" to setup and configure the path, etc , is this a separate install or a hidden setting? thanks for your help.
post #883 of 1110
I updated my firmware to the latest semi. When I select a different background, such as winter, spring, summer, or fall and re-boot, I always wind up with the default firmware. Also, the little icons for music, video, etc. down the side look distorted but they didn't under the previous semi.

For a custom background, I found a 1280x720 jpg I liked, so I converted it from jpg to png using MS Paint. Is this the way to do it or should I just rename the file from mybg.jpg to mybg.png?

BTW, will there be any more updates to Xtraios? I like the Xtraios interface but I don't like the fact that I can't have subtitles turn on by default in Xtraios.
post #884 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I updated my firmware to the latest semi. When I select a different background, such as winter, spring, summer, or fall and re-boot, I always wind up with the default firmware. Also, the little icons for music, video, etc. down the side look distorted but they didn't under the previous semi.
Just double checked, I can't replicate neither.
- selected "spring" for background (GUI 3.0 set to OFF).
- send unit to standby then back on using the remote, spring is still there.
- send unit to standby again, flick the back switch, spring is still there.
- no distortion with the icons.
Quote:
For a custom background, I found a 1280x720 jpg I liked, so I converted it from jpg to png using MS Paint. Is this the way to do it or should I just rename the file from mybg.jpg to mybg.png?
Yup, saving as png is way to go, you might want to pass it through a compressor as well: http://tinypng.org/
Quote:
BTW, will there be any more updates to Xtraios? I like the Xtraios interface but I don't like the fact that I can't have subtitles turn on by default in Xtraios.
The Xtraios is based on Xtreamer SW2 firmware (untouched except for the things I list in the change log), this got discontinued by Xtreamer at 3.0.12 (which I did port to AIOS at the time).
post #885 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

That's great then, very happy with full BD streaming now, I'm in panic mode installing R22, I've got the AIOS 4 days ago and installed R21 and now R22 but I never find the "SRJG Jukebox" to setup and configure the path, etc , is this a separate install or a hidden setting? thanks for your help.
Go to Setup -> Customization -> Video Menu -> SRJG Jukebox.
Then go back to the home screen and select the Video icon.
post #886 of 1110
Wow sorry that easy, thanks a lot.

Is there a forum thread or guide on how to setup the jukebox with NFS shares?
post #887 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Wow sorry that easy, thanks a lot.

Is there a forum thread or guide on how to setup the jukebox with NFS shares?

First follow this guide to fix your NFS shares mounting point (just use -t nfs instead of -t cifs in the mount command)
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=254

Next use these fixed mount points and point the SRJG jukebox to them.
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=746

Best of luck,
post #888 of 1110
Perfect, I'll work on that and share my experience shortly.

ANy chance we can add SRJG jukebox on power-on? It would be great if the AIOS will boot and start the Jukebox, it will be family friendly from the start.
post #889 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Perfect, I'll work on that and share my experience shortly.

ANy chance we can add SRJG jukebox on power-on? It would be great if the AIOS will boot and start the Jukebox, it will be family friendly from the start.

In theory yes, but there is some work to be done first.
That said, you can now set video menu to go SRJG and disable all other menu options, so you will end up with a home screen with a single item that can only go to SRJG.
post #890 of 1110
Thanks a lot for your answer, I was also reading that the jukebox does not support subtitles?
post #891 of 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Just double checked, I can't replicate neither.
- selected "spring" for background (GUI 3.0 set to OFF).
- send unit to standby then back on using the remote, spring is still there.
- send unit to standby again, flick the back switch, spring is still there.
- no distortion with the icons.
Yup, saving as png is way to go, you might want to pass it through a compressor as well: http://tinypng.org/
The Xtraios is based on Xtreamer SW2 firmware (untouched except for the things I list in the change log), this got discontinued by Xtreamer at 3.0.12 (which I did port to AIOS at the time).

I had GUI 3.0 enabled which didn't allow me to change the background. Once I disabled Gui 3.0, I was able to load a custom background and all the icons down the side (music, photo, video, etc.) are fine.

I like the look of Xtreamer but I'll stick with the latest semi official.

Thanks for all of your hard work.
post #892 of 1110
I like how the Xtraios version will remember NFS shares without the need to scan each time, when you go to Media Sources your latest NFS share is already there, in R22 semi official there are several clicks involved and more if you have your shared movie folder inside several folders.

Is there any workaround for this?
post #893 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Thanks a lot for your answer, I was also reading that the jukebox does not support subtitles?
True, there is some limitation using the SRJG (vs. going through the file manager), subs is one of these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I had GUI 3.0 enabled which didn't allow me to change the background. Once I disabled Gui 3.0, I was able to load a custom background and all the icons down the side (music, photo, video, etc.) are fine.

I like the look of Xtreamer but I'll stick with the latest semi official.

Thanks for all of your hard work.
Thanks for the feedback audit13, enjoy your AIOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

I like how the Xtraios version will remember NFS shares without the need to scan each time, when you go to Media Sources your latest NFS share is already there, in R22 semi official there are several clicks involved and more if you have your shared movie folder inside several folders.

Is there any workaround for this?
I have been thinking about there for a while, I have an idea to test for R23 (basically allow the option to disable NFS scanning at all and just use the NFS folder as a holder place for the manually created bookmarks).
post #894 of 1110
Thank you, the way that is done in the Xtraios is more user friendly and practical with a couple of clicks you are win the share, hopefully this can be done in the future.
post #895 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Thank you, the way that is done in the Xtraios is more user friendly and practical with a couple of clicks you are win the share, hopefully this can be done in the future.
Can't be done.
post #896 of 1110
Too bad
post #897 of 1110
I was hoping that R22 would resolve my subtitles problem: I have subs set to default 'on' and when I play a "fresh" movie, the subs come on. However if I return the next night to watch a movie that I hadn't finished prior, the subs are off.
post #898 of 1110
What are the pros and cons of using XtrAIOS 3.0.12 vs R22?
post #899 of 1110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelspy View Post

Thanks a lot for your answer, I was also reading that the jukebox does not support subtitles?
srt external subs as well as multiple audio tracks are now supported by the jukebox.
post #900 of 1110
Hello,


I am looking to replace my Seagate Home theater Plus media player and have been reading up on this AIOS HD player.
Amazon currently has it for $90(Rebate no longer available),
I am concerned about all the issues and available support for this product.
I've visited their support site and the last firmware release is from 06/08/12 (3.4.3.0) which is still in beta,
with all the problems I'm reading I would hope there would be continueing firmware updates to correct these issues.

Could I get some advise from current owners of this product (would you recommend it at this point).
I have also looked at KDLINKS HD 700(built in Wifi and BD menu support)
but I favor this product because it can support an internal HDD.


Thx
Edited by pillot - 3/27/13 at 10:25am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread