or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Audio Cable questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Cable questions - Page 2

post #31 of 47
There are reasons why one might want purer copper in some products than what is normally found in ETP copper, but this thread is about speaker cables...
post #32 of 47
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the advice; I will go with either Monoprice or Blue Jeans.

I do find it a bit amusing that the major point of contention is whether or not someone started an argument which does not appear to have started. I <3 forums.
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheHolodeck View Post

I do find it a bit amusing that the major point of contention is whether or not someone started an argument which does not appear to have started. I <3 forums.

For some reason, the boards are ripe with it today.

I use Monoprice often and have always been pleased with their prices and on the few times I have had to return something, their Customer Service has been outstanding.
post #34 of 47
Don't overlook Radio Shack either. Monoprice and Bluejeans are great but sometimes you need a cable that day or don't want to pay shipping charges for a $5 cable.

The Rat Shack cables are just fine even for the most expensive systems.

EDIT: be sure to read the next post. Seems that Monster got a hold of them!
post #35 of 47
Quote:


Don't overlook Radio Shack either. Monoprice and Bluejeans are great but sometimes you need a cable that day or don't want to pay shipping charges for a $5 cable.

The Rat Shack cables are just fine even for the most expensive systems.

Last time I walked into Radio Shack (a few years ago), they were pushing Monster Cable hard. They still had some of their own brand, but it was buried in the back of the store.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Last time I walked into Radio Shack (a few years ago), they were pushing Monster Cable hard. They still had some of their own brand, but it was buried in the back of the store.

Well I'm obviously out of date then. I haven't look at RS cables in a few years. I added a warning to my initial post.
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Last time I walked into Radio Shack (a few years ago), they were pushing Monster Cable hard. They still had some of their own brand, but it was buried in the back of the store.

I am seeing the same thing with Fry's Electronics in Austin. Fry's used to be a good place to find reasonably priced goods of all kinds including cables. I was looking for some cables with 3.5mm plugs at each end for my 12V trigger setup, and all I could find in the designated audio cable section were very pricey ones (including, but not limited to Monster). I finally decided I would order them over the internet, but kept looking through the store just to see what other things of interest they might have. Sure enough, way in the back corner of the store were reasonably priced 3.5mm cables. So Monster seems to have their tentacles out in several places that used to be good for reasonably priced cables. Sad.
post #38 of 47
Thread Starter 
I live 3 blocks from a Fry's ( <3 ), but I would only go there for unterminated cord and plugs and build my own wire if I were going to go that route.
post #39 of 47
I like Fry's too, and they did end up having what I wanted. But it took lots of effort to find it! I recently needed some cheapo Toslink cables, and rather than risk driving for a bit more than a half hour to Fry's and only finding expensive ones, I just decided to order them from Monoprice.

For me, Fry's is a fun store to just wander around in, even if I'm not buying anything.
post #40 of 47
Thread Starter 
Can anyone comment on whether there is actually any benefit to the 4-conductor cabling that some companies seem to offer/use (assuming that an equivalent 2-conductor wire would be of sufficient gauge for your system?)
post #41 of 47
It makes no difference other than the amount of $$ you want to piss away.
post #42 of 47
Thread Starter 
Thought so; just wanted to double check. To be fair, from places like BJC or Monoprice, the 4-conductor stuff is pretty cheap anyhow.
post #43 of 47
I prefer single conductor because multiples tend to make orchestral music confusing.

cheers,

AJ
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheHolodeck View Post

Can anyone comment on whether there is actually any benefit to the 4-conductor cabling that some companies seem to offer/use (assuming that an equivalent 2-conductor wire would be of sufficient gauge for your system?)

It allows you to run to more than a single speaker with a single jacket. Great for whole house audio runs...you loop at one location and then go to the second. Also, good for stereo input speakers.

(I'm assuming you mean 4 conductor with separate jackets...If you just meant multiple conductors in the same jacket you can ignore my post.)

B.
post #45 of 47
The only time I'd use 4 conductor is if I wanted to bi-amp my speakers.
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheHolodeck View Post

Can anyone comment on whether there is actually any benefit to the 4-conductor cabling that some companies seem to offer/use (assuming that an equivalent 2-conductor wire would be of sufficient gauge for your system?)

One minor difference is that it is flatter, which can be an advantage if you run it under carpet.
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

I prefer single conductor because multiples tend to make orchestral music confusing.

. . . but can get interesting toward the end, when they start poking each other with their little wands.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Audio Cable questions