or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › JTR Captivator S (Sealed)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JTR Captivator S (Sealed)

post #1 of 522
Thread Starter 

Specs as taken from JTR Forum:

+/-1db 22hz-104hz ground plane (-6db at 15hz, with built in 110hz lowpass)
21" x 21" x 16.25" deep (16.75" with grill)
Heavily braced 1" thick Baltic Birch cabinet
DSP optimised 2400 watt RMS class D amplifier
XLR balanced input
Magnetically attached, fabric covered grill
Rubber feet
MSRP $2999
Internet Direct $2299

New Introductory Offer of $1999 January 16th thur shipping Jan 23th.

Introductory price is one time only, payment in full, limited quantities, first come/first serve and no other discounts apply.

____________________________________________________

There were first shown at the KC Blind GTG held January 14, 2012.

They faired well and placed high in listener reviews and scoring tabulations.


I am torn between duals of these or the progression of a DIY project.

Discuss!
LL

post #2 of 522
If I had the cash, I would get duals and call it a day. Hell, for it's size, you can have quads (if I had the money) it would a killer system!
post #3 of 522
Or a pair of LMS's with your LG clone would be KILLER Greg.
post #4 of 522
I got this itch now...
post #5 of 522
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Or a pair of LMS's with your LG clone would be KILLER Greg.

I already have the pair of Pi-18 (UXL-18) almost in hand. LG clone in hand.

After I order the second clone amp and pair of drivers when Mach5 is producing them regularly I should have a pseudo half not.

Is it worth it?

These Cap S subs look beautiful and performed awesome!
post #6 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I already have the pair of Pi-18 (UXL-18) almost in hand. LG clone in hand.

After I order the second clone amp and pair of drivers when Mach5 is producing them regularly I should have a pseudo half not.

Is it worth it?

These Cap S subs look beautiful and performed awesome!

If the Pi-18's are anywhere near the 5400s you won't be upgrading anytime soon. For the sake of my ears and house I'm certainly not!
post #7 of 522
I am also giving these a strong consideration after looking at how I scored them third in music and third in movies so it was very consistently an amazing sub for me.

After you factor in price and size it is very tempting. I can easily see a pair of these sitting in my HT. The smaller size gives me several placement options which I love in case I run into trouble with my room.

It is a tough choice for me between my top 3 which were the SubM, Cap S, and Orbit Shifter. I do think I will be purchasing one or several of these for my large 5000 cu ft space and the dual Cap S are kinda sorta easy on the budget while the others are certainly not.
post #8 of 522
Cap S is only "kinda sorta" easier on the budget (relative to the SubM) if you order today. Think fast
post #9 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I got this itch now...

I too am really trying to fight off the GTG high I have from these subs.

If only you all heard the conversations I've been having with my wife. Lol

She did say if I really wanted to sell her on them I should have brought her instead of Robby.
post #10 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I am also giving these a strong consideration after looking at how I scored them third in music and third in movies so it was very consistently an amazing sub for me.

After you factor in price and size it is very tempting. I can easily see a pair of these sitting in my HT. The smaller size gives me several placement options which I love in case I run into trouble with my room.

It is a tough choice for me between my top 3 which were the SubM, Cap S, and Orbit Shifter. I do think I will be purchasing one or several of these for my large 5000 cu ft space and the dual Cap S are kinda sorta easy on the budget while the others are certainly not.

You scored the Cap Pro's higher than the sealed in music by a bit and movies by more. From a quick look I think it was your 2nd highest rated sub overall. Just sayin'... in case someone out there decides to sell theirs...
post #11 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I already have the pair of Pi-18 (UXL-18) almost in hand. LG clone in hand.

After I order the second clone amp and pair of drivers when Mach5 is producing them regularly I should have a pseudo half not.

Is it worth it?

These Cap S subs look beautiful and performed awesome!

Well build them already so i can get your input!

On a side note there's a very good chance I'l pick up a pair submersive HP's at the end of the month.
post #12 of 522
As a ported Cap owner, I'd really love to hear a pair of these just to hear the differences. It would also be cool to see a passive version for those already with capable amps to drive them. In such a case you could run a bridged clone amp on each one at 8 ohm mono! Overkill? Meh, it's headroom.

Husker - I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with these, but since you already have the DIY stuff on hand, why not give that a whack first? You could just build/use the first set of subs and the single LG clone to determine if you like them enough, correct?
post #13 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

You scored the Cap Pro's higher than the sealed in music by a bit and movies by more. From a quick look I think it was your 2nd highest rated sub overall. Just sayin'... in case someone out there decides to sell theirs...

I did score the cap pro 1 point higher than the cap s in music and a few points higher in movies. But, I think my placement options would be too limited for the Cap Pro's and I don't think I could get over the fact that I am giving up extension when I don't need too. Meaning that after buying duals of the Cap S I would have plenty of output and extension as well. Cost is similar enough between them so I would buy the Cap S before the Cap Pro.
post #14 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Specs as taken from JTR Forum:

+/-1db 22hz-104hz ground plane (-6db at 15hz, with built in 110hz lowpass)
21" x 21" x 16.25" deep (16.75" with grill)
Heavily braced 1" thick Baltic Birch cabinet
DSP optimised 2400 watt RMS class D amplifier
XLR balanced input
Magnetically attached, fabric covered grill
Rubber feet
MSRP $2999
Internet Direct $2299

New Introductory Offer of $1999 January 16th thur shipping Jan 23th.

Introductory price is one time only, payment in full, limited quantities, first come/first serve and no other discounts apply.

____________________________________________________

There were first shown at the KC Blind GTG held January 14, 2012.

They faired well and placed high in listener reviews and scoring tabulations.


I am torn between duals of these or the progression of a DIY project.

Discuss!

Just curious as to why you are considering a pair of Cap S's rather than a pair of Submersives. Didn't you prefer the Submersives more? Is it the smaller size?
post #15 of 522
Mojo, he had them as a tie for music and the sealed cap higher on his score sheet.
post #16 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Mojo, he had them as a tie for music and the sealed cap higher on his score sheet.

Oops, you're right. I misread.
post #17 of 522

arbitrary level
post #18 of 522
Jeff, what is the warranty period on the Cap S? on the DSP amp specifically?
post #19 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

Jeff, what is the warranty period on the Cap S? on the DSP amp specifically?

5 year on subwoofer, 2 year on the electronics.
post #20 of 522
How long with the introductory price be in effect?
post #21 of 522
Just to confirm, does this plug into a standard wall outlet?

I also assume that it would not be recommended on a shared 15 amp circuit. Will there be a cap S 1000 by chance?
post #22 of 522
I would love to hear this in direct comparison to the JL Fathom F113 as far as musicality. I have no doubt the JTR would stomp the 113 on sheer output, but not every listening session is "Skadoosh" or BHD. If the JTR can hang with the JL musically (no need to beat it, just keep pace because the JL IS impressive musically) I think the Audio world may have a new "best" small subwoofer. The JL takes up only 2.2 square feet of floor space while the JTR requires 2.44 (all while housing an 18" woofer!!).
post #23 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post

Just to confirm, does this plug into a standard wall outlet?

I also assume that it would not be recommended on a shared 15 amp circuit. Will there be a cap S 1000 by chance?

I'm sure you could certainly run one and perhaps two of these off of a single 15 amp circuit. I remember Mark Seaton saying that two of the 4kw amps could be run off of a single 20 amp line.
post #24 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I'm sure you could certainly run one and perhaps two of these off of a single 15 amp circuit. I remember Mark Seaton saying that two of the 4kw amps could be run off of a single 20 amp line.

So then it is a standard wall outlet then?

Thanks.
post #25 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post

So then it is a standard wall outlet then?

Thanks.

Yep, that's correct!
post #26 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

How long with the introductory price be in effect?

Until Monday Jan 23rd.
post #27 of 522
Just ordered one! I have a 5000+ cubic foot open floor plan, and only had the option for 1 sub. Currently have a gen 1 CSX-15. It does ok in this space but cannot go very deep. I expect this sub to do very well!
post #28 of 522
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post

Just ordered one! I have a 5000+ cubic foot open floor plan, and only had the option for 1 sub. Currently have a gen 1 CSX-15. It does ok in this space but cannot go very deep. I expect this sub to do very well!

On the last day of pricing break-well done
post #29 of 522
I second K-Dubb's question: when can we anticipate a Cap S 1000 model, if at all?

Is the 110 Hz lowpass adjustable or bypassable (without physically cutting something or seriously modifying the system), and if so, up or down to what? Is XLR the only input available on the system, or does it come standard with/can it be ordered with others?
post #30 of 522
Wouldn't the sealed Cap suffer much more than a ported one from being underpowered? I say save up a little longer for the 2.4kW amp.

Edit: on second thought the Subm originally came with a 1kW amp and performed well but the Cap S is smaller. I also don't know it's sensitivity in relation to the SubM either. If it's less sensitive then it may not be worthwhile due to losing too much extension. I'm curious what Jeff has to say.
Tim
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › JTR Captivator S (Sealed)