or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › 2 LG Clone, 4 UXL-18 (Pi-18)..........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2 LG Clone, 4 UXL-18 (Pi-18)..........

post #1 of 515
Thread Starter 
Need some ideas to finish up the planning stages of this project.

I almost had a weak moment after the recent KC GTG, I really was thinking of reselling what I have already and getting a pair of JTR Sealed Caps.

But I just can't do it, I need to see this through....everything I calculate and look at says this will dominate once finished.

I have one LG Clone FP14k on hand. My pair of UXL-18 drivers from Mach5 are shipped and will arrive this week.

I will order another LG Clone FP14k and the second pair of UXL-18s from M5 once Mark has them rolling again regularly in the spring.

Now I'm debating cabinet choices.

I was going to widen out the MFW-15 dual opposed cabs because desertdome was going to sell 4 of those drivers. I think after the blind GTG he wants to keep them together now based on their solid performance.

So, cabinet design time.

Dual opposed or single cabs?

I really liked the size of JTR Sealed Caps...I also like the look of the funky waves single 18" cabs. I also like the idea of a dual opposed cabinet that is inert. I could sit one dual opposed cab on each side of my center where I know my room prefers them. I could also do this with singles, and then spread the other two singles when I get them around the room for an even more smooth FR in theory.

Ideas?

Once I have them built, I'll use this thread for measurements and all of that. I think I am buying Desertdome's CSL calibrated ECM8000 and maybe a Tascam or something that you all may suggest.

Single Cab: Was thinking in the area of 2.5 cubes. Dual Opposed: 5-5.5 cubes.
Max height of 21 inches including feet if used. Width and depth can vary.
post #2 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I really liked the size of JTR Sealed Caps...I also like the look of the funky waves single 18" cabs. I also like the idea of a dual opposed cabinet that is inert. I could sit one dual opposed cab on each side of my center where I know my room prefers them. I could also do this with singles, and then spread the other two singles when I get them around the room for an even more smooth FR in theory.

Ideas?

Yup. You can do any of that. Single cabs will be easier to place about, dual-opposed will be inert. We can't choose for you. This is the part you have to figure out.

[/diy]

post #3 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yup. You can do any of that. Single cabs will be easier to place about, dual-opposed will be inert. We can't choose for you. This is the part you have to figure out.

[/diy]


That's what I told him in email
post #4 of 515
I vote dual opposed... Mark told me it will be another 7 weeks before my UXL-18 drivers will ship. That should give you plenty of time to complete your build and take measurements before I can start building mine
post #5 of 515
dual front facing look the most intimidating... :-)
post #6 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

dual front facing look the most intimidating... :-)

Defintely would look cool but I'd just butt together two seperate cabs for the same effect.

Yeesh. 7 weeks for an ordered sub driver? Is Mark whittling these out of wood all by himself? What's the hold up?
post #7 of 515
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yup. You can do any of that. Single cabs will be easier to place about, dual-opposed will be inert. We can't choose for you. This is the part you have to figure out.

[/diy]

True.


Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

That's what I told him in email

Not has been a great coach via email. That is why I keep prodding him to make a decision for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummerguyinfl View Post

I vote dual opposed... Mark told me it will be another 7 weeks before my UXL-18 drivers will ship. That should give you plenty of time to complete your build and take measurements before I can start building mine

I could probably get something done by then. Desertdome thinks dual opposed (easier to build, inert). The only thing I don't like is the fact I'll have to wait for a few months until I can get another pair of drivers for the other box. I guess I can sit the empty finished box on the other side so it looks better.


Alright, any fun dual opposed box ideas?

Otherwise, I guess we just do two boxes (submersive design style) about 5.5? cubes, herculiner on it, and have a nice black box with a durable finish.
post #8 of 515
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

dual front facing look the most intimidating... :-)

I actually was tired of looking at the 4 MFW15 drivers from the dual opposed boxes. I'd rather have the drivers firing to the sides and just looking at the boxes blending into the wall. Yeah, I might be in the minority.
post #9 of 515
Just put the single dual opposed under your center speaker until you get another one. Its about the same height as your stand, isn't it?
post #10 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post


I actually was tired of looking at the 4 MFW15 drivers from the dual opposed boxes. I'd rather have the drivers firing to the sides and just looking at the boxes blending into the wall. Yeah, I might be in the minority.

:0 you didn't want to see the drivers :00000000000

I should add that my suggestion is 4 boxes. Gives you the option of dealing with room modes more effectively and really playing around with placement options.

Matt
post #11 of 515
"I actually was tired of looking at the 4 MFW15 drivers from the dual opposed boxes."

roger. some folks like the driver look, others don't.
post #12 of 515
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Just put the single dual opposed under your center speaker until you get another one. Its about the same height as your stand, isn't it?

Not really, if I do that the center will cut out about 5 inches of viewable screen. I think I just have 2 enclosures totally finished out, have those on the sides....

I guess Desertdome may give me the 2 MFW-15 dual opposed boxes to use after all. They are approx 5.5 cubes each. I would just clean them up a bit with some rounding of edges and a herculiner spray.

I'm just not sure how hard it is to enlarge the driver holes. Has anyone tried this on a finished cabinet?

Modeling has looked okay with this setup.

Use a minidsp to EQ?
post #13 of 515
Thread Starter 
Oh and the name for my UXL-18 Dual Opposed will be "The Defibrillator".

Thank you, Avarice.
post #14 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Defintely would look cool but I'd just butt together two seperate cabs for the same effect.

Yeesh. 7 weeks for an ordered sub driver? Is Mark whittling these out of wood all by himself? What's the hold up?

He's waiting for parts. He's at the same point that a lot of the other driver makers are. The waiting game sucks but he said theres nothing he can do but wait untill the parts get here.
post #15 of 515
Thread Starter 
I have one Pi-18 arriving tomorrow, and one arriving friday.

I will post packaging and unboxing at that time. I luckily have both days off to receive the packages!
post #16 of 515
Thread Starter 
post #17 of 515
Thread Starter 
post #18 of 515
Sexy! Packaging looks good.

Damn that is a big magnet stack!! :0

Matt
post #19 of 515
Thread Starter 
My 2 year old helper got cautioned a few times, (not a basket for basketball) but he was happy to show the size comparison.

Attachment 234560



Attachment 234561



Attachment 234562



Attachment 234563



Attachment 234564
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #20 of 515
Sexy driver but that is one small-ass pole vent!

Next one arrives on Friday, yeah?
post #21 of 515
Thread Starter 
Driver weighs in at 54 pounds
post #22 of 515
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Sexy driver but that is one small-ass pole vent!

At least it has one!

Next one due on friday-yes.

Packaging looks great, no visible damage
post #23 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

At least it has one!

Lol!

Look forward to your impressions on it when the next arrives.
post #24 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Lol!

Look forward to your impressions on it when the next arrives.

same here, looks like I might be back on these as the q's arent shaking out at the moment and that packaging job is by FAR, much better than it was on the first go-round.
post #25 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post


same here, looks like I might be back on these as the q's arent shaking out at the moment and that packaging job is by FAR, much better than it was on the first go-round.

I'm sticking with mark despite the delays. He's been pretty up to par with most things. And he took the packaging issue to heart. Care and attention to detail are pretty important.

Matt
post #26 of 515
the fp14k has 14000 watts right?

each driver is rated for 1200 watts.

why would you need a second amp if you get two more drivers?
post #27 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

the fp14k has 14000 watts right?

each driver is rated for 1200 watts.

why would you need a second amp if you get two more drivers?

He doesn't. A single FP14K will handle the job easily.

Bosso
post #28 of 515
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

the fp14k has 14000 watts right?

each driver is rated for 1200 watts.

why would you need a second amp if you get two more drivers?

4400 x 2 in 4 ohm stereo I think.
post #29 of 515
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post


He doesn't. A single FP14K will handle the job easily.

Bosso

A second for parts and/or overkill?

I ordered them in 4 ohm configuration though.......
post #30 of 515
i just went through your build thread greg. nice work.

i can see why you would like side firing or something like that.

that center channel would drive me nuts, have you experimented with running a phantom center and toeing in your mains to cross just in front of the seats?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › 2 LG Clone, 4 UXL-18 (Pi-18)..........