or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Plex Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Plex Discussion Thread - Page 16

post #451 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Did you try manually refreshing the section? If that doesn't work try a deep scan. Otherwise you may not be organizing things properly.
When I refresh the section the show's aren't added, but if I create a new section they get added fine. Deep scan doesn't add them either.
post #452 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by abshole View Post

When I refresh the section the show's aren't added, but if I create a new section they get added fine. Deep scan doesn't add them either.

Make sure everything is named and organized correctly. Check here.
post #453 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Make sure everything is named and organized correctly. Check here.
I'll check that, but if naming & organization is what's causing the issue, why do they get added if I make a new section?


All my shows are broken down into this format:



These are the shows that're in my 'main' shows folder:


This is what actually shows up, no matter how many times I refresh, deep scan, etc.


My test folder:


What's there:


confused.gif
post #454 of 801
Thread Starter 
That explains it. Don't add each show individually! Just add /Volumes/1 TB [Music]/All Videos/TV Shows, not all the subfolders!
post #455 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

That explains it. Don't add each show individually! Just add /Volumes/1 TB [Music]/All Videos/TV Shows, not all the subfolders!

post #456 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by abshole View Post

For some reason I have entire seasons of TV shows not showing up. I can create a new section for TV shows and add in the ones that don't show up the first time and they add perfectly fine. Seems the number I can get per section is around 10. Not sure what's causing it to happen. Any help?

I have this issue. Open up your media manager. To to your TV Shows, and click the pull down menu for refresh, and pick deep scan. I have to do every time I add new episodes to any TV show. All my other libraries, not an issue.
post #457 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

yeah, PHT seems pretty good. I like it.
If you like Plex, you should consider a subscription to support them and get some goodies like plexsync for offline viewing on mobile devices. I did the lifetime membership for $75, but there are monthly and yearly options if you want to dip your toes in the water...
great group of developers

I did the same thing. I've been using it for over two years, so it seem like a no brainer to go life.

the Home Theater works well. Although, mine crashes every time I go to close it, LOL. Better than when trying to use it, LOL. I haven't tried the HD audio because my equipment doesn't support it. You can also use the XBMC and use the Plex plugin as well for HD Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post


I'm currently trying out Windows 7 it seems to have solved my issues so far. I'm still configuring things but it looks like I'll need Win7 for proper HD audio and video. But it took a while to get the AMD drivers and Catalyst software working properly, but I think it's ok now. CPU/CVPU usage is now in the single digits for both! Thanks for you input.

I'm not surprised to hear it's been an easier experience. It's what I had when I went from XP to W7. Best $120 I spend on HTPC; although I bought the three license version of W7, so it was actually $40 per machine. Media Center worked well with my digital tuners too.
post #458 of 801
Request for anyone who is playing around with Plex on the Raspberry Pi to post any impressions here. I don't really understand what is involved in setting up a Raspberry Pi...I know they are cheap (~$40 I think), but you also need a case, power supply, etc.), and I've heard xbmc is fairly choppy on them (maybe fixed by now).

I would be serving it from PMS on a ReadyNas, so I'm really interested in how it natively handles blu-ray MKVs...since the ReadyNas isn't up for transcoding those files but may be able to handle transcoding only the HD audio track (just a guess).

Thanks!
post #459 of 801
Is anyone running this with unRaid volumes and having issues with library updating? From what i can tell the basic library update which is TurboScan does not add new files. Looking at the logs the turboscan reads the files but does not identify them as new. The only way to get new files to show up is with Deep Scan, which can only be handled manually or through a scheduled script.
post #460 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankspin View Post

Is anyone running this with unRaid volumes and having issues with library updating? From what i can tell the basic library update which is TurboScan does not add new files. Looking at the logs the turboscan reads the files but does not identify them as new. The only way to get new files to show up is with Deep Scan, which can only be handled manually or through a scheduled script.

I've been having this issue too recently. I'm using a Mac that mounts shares from a Windows Flexraid machine. Oddly, the movie library always updates fine, but my TV library usually needs a deep scan. I'm going to ask over at the Plex forums.
post #461 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I've been having this issue too recently. I'm using a Mac that mounts shares from a Windows Flexraid machine. Oddly, the movie library always updates fine, but my TV library usually needs a deep scan. I'm going to ask over at the Plex forums.
I actually started there and then came here. All I've been getting is people saying their having the same issue and that scheduling a deepscan via scheduled command line can work. The other option I've seen is to launch PMS as a service with the account credentials of the share but this seems like a false/positive since removing the directory, adding it back fixes it temporarily.
post #462 of 801
I have the issue, but it's just TV shows. I only add shows once a week, so I just open the media library, then the TV show library and just do a deep scan.

I'm not sure, but it's possible that the turbo scan may only go one or two directories deep, thus not far enough for the files. I know for me, I have the TV Show directory, then the show directroy, the season directory, then finally the files. I do this just for a organization purpose for me when navigating the files, but you could just have a directly for the the show, than have all the files. In the plex front end, it would still split it by seasons and so forth., I think
post #463 of 801
Has anyone had the issue of Plex Media Scanner running endlessly? I have this every once in a while. I record a lot of tv using WMC on W7 and every once in a while plex will start to scan a show and will get stuck scanning it forever and peg my processor at 50-100% indefinitely until I find the show it doesn't like and delete it from the scan folder. This has happened to me several times now and I have to open plex and find the show in the list. It shows a couple icons on the thumbnail of the show and no metadata is downloaded for it yet it seems to get "stuck" scanning this file forever until i stop it with a refresh or delete the file from the computer.

Is there a way to set it up to skip these instances, or better yet resolve the issue alltogether if it's known?
post #464 of 801
I haven't personally run into it. Definitely a excellent question on the Plex forums.

I have a items that it won't pull metadata for. And the manual corrention method doesn't work, at least in my experience. I just haven't gotten around to asking about it. But out of over five hundred pieces of video, it's three files it does this on. It still shows it, just no cover art or description.
post #465 of 801
Plex is not working as smoothly for me as it seems to work for others. First and foremost I've been having a whale of a time trying to get PLEX to work on my Android Phone while using 3g/4g signal. Evey time I try it, I get an error message saying their was a problem streaming it. Fortunately, I have been a little more successful using plex on a wi-fi signal. While I do get better results on Wi-fi than I do on 3g/4g it is still hit or miss. While at home on my wi-fi network, I always get the movies to play on my phone, however fast forwarding to a certain point is not possible for me. Every time I try it freezes on me. Now I understand that there is some big time transcoding going on behind the scenes, but I really thought that my i3 3225 was more than capable of handling the transcoding, was I wrong?

Lastly, and I can not prove this point, but my gut is telling me that Plex has screwed something up with my movies in Media Browser. When ever I tested plex on my phone to see it if worked, I always used the same three movies. Recently when I went to watch some movies on my HTPC via Media Browser. I noticed that some of my movies were giving me a WMC cannot play back error. After countless ways of trying to fix this and it still doesn't work, I realized that the three movies that were no longer playing on WMC were the same movies that I tried to play on PLEX. I know there is some connection between the two but I'm not able to figure it out.
post #466 of 801
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

Plex is not working as smoothly for me as it seems to work for others. First and foremost I've been having a whale of a time trying to get PLEX to work on my Android Phone while using 3g/4g signal. Evey time I try it, I get an error message saying their was a problem streaming it. Fortunately, I have been a little more successful using plex on a wi-fi signal. While I do get better results on Wi-fi than I do on 3g/4g it is still hit or miss. While at home on my wi-fi network, I always get the movies to play on my phone, however fast forwarding to a certain point is not possible for me. Every time I try it freezes on me. Now I understand that there is some big time transcoding going on behind the scenes, but I really thought that my i3 3225 was more than capable of handling the transcoding, was I wrong?

Lastly, and I can not prove this point, but my gut is telling me that Plex has screwed something up with my movies in Media Browser. When ever I tested plex on my phone to see it if worked, I always used the same three movies. Recently when I went to watch some movies on my HTPC via Media Browser. I noticed that some of my movies were giving me a WMC cannot play back error. After countless ways of trying to fix this and it still doesn't work, I realized that the three movies that were no longer playing on WMC were the same movies that I tried to play on PLEX. I know there is some connection between the two but I'm not able to figure it out.

First, are you using the old Android app or the the Plex Pass app? Also, have you tried watching something on a remote wi-fi network?

Fast forwarding is indeed a mixed bag when transcoding, but it shouldn't be crashing.

I don't know how Plex could have possibly interfered with Media Browser or WMC. All the metadata is stored separately and AFAIK the codecs are self contained. Plex is based on XBMC and I've never heard of XBMC messing up WMC's codecs.
post #467 of 801
I just built my HTPC and installed Plex about a month ago. Moreover the APP that I have for my android is the one that was just released back in February. I down load that back in March.

That's another thing that has confused me with Plex, There's the Plex App, Plex Pass App. I think I have both, but I always try to use the one that I purchased on the android market for $4.99.

The error message that I get in windows states something along the lines that my files maybe in a a different location. The bottom line is I know the chances are slim to non, but My movies used to show all the time on in WMC in Media Browser but now, something has changed that prevents it from showing. The fact that plex is one of the newer features that I added and the the 3 movies that are not playing are the same three movies that I tried to watch on on Plex might all be a coincidence. It could be a simple windows up date that has thrown my setup for a loop, but I've got to try to figure it out.
post #468 of 801
Yes remote wi-fi has worked for me.
post #469 of 801
I have just started setting up plex and signed up for the myplex account. Trouble is, I can't make it find my server. I have a dns redirect in place and everything (btw dyndns went pay2play).

Anyone got any advice since I can't seem to get the first and most basic step up and running? I have my media libraries defined, I just can't connect to plex from any remote device. Wireless isolation is off.
post #470 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

I have just started setting up plex and signed up for the myplex account. Trouble is, I can't make it find my server. I have a dns redirect in place and everything (btw dyndns went pay2play).

Anyone got any advice since I can't seem to get the first and most basic step up and running? I have my media libraries defined, I just can't connect to plex from any remote device. Wireless isolation is off.

Are you trying to connect via plex web or plex client application? Have you set up the port forwarding for your router? Are you able to access plex from the server via IE using plex web?
post #471 of 801
For Stamina, you should check you 3G speeds. I've been using android since it was originally released. I"m also on Sprint, which is not known to have high speeds. It's been working fine. The other thing you may need to do is open up some ports in your firewall. Check your setting in your PMS and you should see something for port. You may want to manually set it, so when you open the port it doesn't change if you have to restart the PMS.

As for Goros, you don't need to use dyndns/pay2play. It's a useful tool if your ISP changes the IP they give frequently. I would suggest looking up your IP (whatismyip.com), and just manually input it. Plex does a good job after that. I know with ISP, my IP has changed only two or three times in the over five years I've used them. Plus, it'll take away a variable Also, are you able to connect to the PMS when your on your local network, from whatever device?
post #472 of 801
Yes port forwarding is set up, I can access plex on the server itself but no other places, I disabled the firewall entirely, and time warner changes my IP every time I lose power and about once a month or so.

I can connect to my baby monitor remotely via my phones, so I know the router lets traffic from outside and inside in.

Just can't get plex to play nice.
post #473 of 801
Did you publish the sever thru the management console?
post #474 of 801
Without reading this whole thread. Can I use plex to
A) watch hulu on my xbox 360, what about other channels
B) watch hulu on my roku, what about other channels?
post #475 of 801
in theory yes. the PMS will transcode to friendly format. In practice, I find the Hulu channel through Plex is hit or miss. And I find it doesn't handle the commercials well.

I realize you may be trying to save a dollar or two or watch non-Hulu Plus content, but I think it's just best to get the Hulu subscription. Hulu Plus works pretty that is available on those STBs.

I personally haven't used Plex on the 360. I haven't used the Hulu channel through Plex on the Roku. I have used it through the Android client and PC and really didn't care for it.
post #476 of 801
Where does plex server save the metadata?

Can you choose the location?
post #477 of 801
don't know. don't believe that is an option.
post #478 of 801
I think it scrapes it. But when it did my library it also used the data I already had stored. So if you download MCM then you can have it save it for you.
post #479 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post

I think it scrapes it. But when it did my library it also used the data I already had stored. So if you download MCM then you can have it save it for you.

That's what I was wondering as I use MCM on my htpc connected to my server. I didn't want plex adding it's own to the stuff already there
post #480 of 801
Where plex stores its data varies by OS. It will not mess with your existing file structure and/or metadata.

Assuming windows, it stores the data in ~\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Plex Discussion Thread