or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung D series FBr fix discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung D series FBr fix discussion - Page 2

post #31 of 1615
So when I try to chat with Samsung later should I just tell them I need firmware 1019.5? The person I dealt with last night had no idea what I was talking about.
post #32 of 1615
Zoyd,

I updated your spreadsheet. As you can see I have both the 51 and 59 D8000.

When I chatted with the online service rep to get the USB I only had the 51 inch. I didnt notice any Fbr but I figured I would get it anyway just in case. Later I was told to look at a certain scene on the blu ray for inception and I did notice the black bars getting slightly lighter where the other user had noted. I applied the USB and the black bars are no longer fluctuating.

I did the same thing on the 59 inch model for a diffent scene on an xmen blu ray. Fluctuating seems to have been fixed here as well.

NO Optimization on either but the update certainly took longer than usual and the TV turned on a off a few times.

My question is: If I used the same USB for both of these TV's why the heck is my software version different? I will update the remaing TV settings on your spreadsheet when I get home tonight.
post #33 of 1615
Thread Starter 
Thanks pato, good information. I don't know the significance of the BT-Q and BT-Q, G add-ons to the base FW name. I believe they are related to the fix though.
post #34 of 1615
Hi zoyd--did someone remove the build date column from the spreadsheet? I was following build date & location in case we notice any patterns related to manufacturing.
post #35 of 1615
Thread Starter 
yep, I restored what I could but a few of the later entries were not captured.
post #36 of 1615
Thread Starter 
1st post updated with test clip.
post #37 of 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

1st post updated with test clip.

Zoyd, I tried your clip before updating the firmware on my PN64d8000 and did not see any pops on the side bars. Interesting that it popped on your set but not on mine

However, I did get pops on top and bottom bars of 2.35 material that I have watched. Unfortunately I still get them even aftter applying the 1024.8 update firmware.

And interestingly enough after downgrading and then reinstalling the 1024.8 update, I no longer see the B-Q/G lettering!
post #38 of 1615
The file won't play on my TV?

Mike
post #39 of 1615
zoyd, any theories why some of us get the optimization screen and others dont?
post #40 of 1615
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbo View Post

zoyd, any theories why some of us get the optimization screen and others dont?

The key point is whether your logic board was updated. You can check this by doing the following:

1. With TV on press mute + 7 +3 +7 + enter
2. Post your Logic SW Version and Logic SW Checksum from the display
3. Turn TV off and then on to get rid of menu

Original logic board FW should be something like 11-02-31, new version should be 11-10-31 or thereabouts.
post #41 of 1615
Finally got customer service to send me the firmware update. Looking forward to it.
post #42 of 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

The key point is whether your logic board was updated. You can check this by doing the following:

1. With TV on press mute + 7 +3 +7 + enter
2. Post your Logic SW Version and Logic SW Checksum from the display
3. Turn TV off and then on to get rid of menu

Original logic board FW should be something like 11-02-31, new version should be 11-10-31 or thereabouts.

Zoyd:
Logic SW Version 11-06-07
Logic SW Checksum 0x2E12
post #43 of 1615
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbo View Post

Zoyd:
Logic SW Version 11-06-07
Logic SW Checksum 0x2E12

Probably not updated but compare with others to check. I have a method to update via the service menu but I'm hesitant to post it because I don't know how safe it is.
post #44 of 1615
11-11-04
0xF54E
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbo View Post

Zoyd:
Logic SW Version 11-06-07
Logic SW Checksum 0x2E12
post #45 of 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Probably not updated but compare with others to check. I have a method to update via the service menu but I'm hesitant to post it because I don't know how safe it is.

So Zoyd this all sounds fascinating. Why would some logic boards be updated, and others not?
post #46 of 1615
Thread Starter 
I don't know, it's still not clear that is the case, you need to compare with someone who has your same panel model (including screen size).
post #47 of 1615
I just added my information
post #48 of 1615
Updated the sheet. Looks like I'm the first one to flash a 59D6500. I used the D7000 firmware someone posted on the original thread and had no issues. Also, I updated from a quite old (1008) stock FW.

Brightness pops were definitely not present when I briefly tested with known "bad" material. Tried with CS on and off.

Everything went better than expected =)

Has anyone else noticed an increase in buzzing since flashing? It might be totally in my head, but I could swear that the buzzing got louder, particularly when playing back 24p with CS on.
post #49 of 1615
My tv has always buzzed, slightly but its there.
What im worried about is that i cant remember if the blacks stayed the same, i feel they raised a bit, but i might be wrong.

Funny how we start finding more things to complain about right after something has been fixed, even if those "new issues" are in our heads and dont exist.
post #50 of 1615
I'm currently on 1024.3. Just spoke to Samsung and will be sent 1024.8. Have most you here had pops while watching TV or movies through a blu ray player? I only got them while watching certain 3D movies like Narnia and a couple of IMAX features.
post #51 of 1615
I have a PN64D550. I updated to 1018.1. Then, I downloaded 1019.5 to fix the FBrs. When I upgraded - NO OPTIMIZATION.

So I CHATTED with Samsung. They are sending me 2 USBs to downgrade to 1018.1 and then to upgrade to 1019.5. Seems like a repeat of what I did but they insist this will FIX the issue and get me an OPTIMIZATION step.

Anyone have any luck with this? I will try to see what board version I have or whatever but I think it did not optimize because something wasn't set properly.

I asked if there were remote commands I could put in there to FORCE this optimization. Same response. "well send you the USBs."
post #52 of 1615
Please post the link of the downgrade when you get it
post #53 of 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzack View Post

Updated the sheet. Looks like I'm the first one to flash a 59D6500. I used the D7000 firmware someone posted on the original thread and had no issues. Also, I updated from a quite old (1008) stock FW.

Brightness pops were definitely not present when I briefly tested with known "bad" material. Tried with CS on and off.

Everything went better than expected =)

Has anyone else noticed an increase in buzzing since flashing? It might be totally in my head, but I could swear that the buzzing got louder, particularly when playing back 24p with CS on.

Probably in your head, there have been times I thought my buzz was quieter/louder as well. From what I know now, there are many things which affect how sensitive my ears are to the buzz.

24p with Cinema Smooth always buzzes a bit louder on my set as well.
post #54 of 1615
Thread Starter 
@adubrocq - Thanks for your entry in the spreadsheet. How do you know blacks are deeper? Do you have a measurement?
post #55 of 1615
Zoyd,

On your spreadsheet, is the column for black level in reference to black tone or hdmi black level?
post #56 of 1615
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pato79 View Post

Zoyd,

On your spreadsheet, is the column for black level in reference to black tone or hdmi black level?

Black tone - doesn't really matter though.
post #57 of 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

The key point is whether your logic board was updated. You can check this by doing the following:

1. With TV on press mute + 7 +3 +7 + enter
2. Post your Logic SW Version and Logic SW Checksum from the display
3. Turn TV off and then on to get rid of menu

Original logic board FW should be something like 11-02-31, new version should be 11-10-31 or thereabouts.

For my PN64D550

11-02-14
0x1FFE

And the Optimization did not happen.
post #58 of 1615
Nicely organized thread.

Interesting, I can't remember if my logic board software version changed after we got the "FBr" updates in the EU. (And definitely was no "optimization" popup but that's just a visual indicator for the user...) But I can't say it didn't because I no longer have my TV to check.

Did anybody check the peak black levels (with a sensor) with 60Hz after the update?
post #59 of 1615
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Nicely organized thread.

Interesting, I can't remember if my logic board software version changed after we got the "FBr" updates in the EU. (And definitely was no "optimization" popup but that's just a visual indicator for the user...) But I can't say it didn't because I no longer have my TV to check.

Did anybody check the peak black levels (with a sensor) with 60Hz after the update?

I'm measuring rises in the black bars of 2.35 material as large as 0.1 cd/m^2. I've just updated the logic board, no one has posted any measurements doing the normal upgrade (main + logic).
post #60 of 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

@jbdeen: Are you sure that the "Optimizing system..." pop-up did not appear when you upgraded? How many reboots did the TV perform during the upgrade? The reason I ask is that you are the only case so far that has reported a working fix without this message.

zoyd, I was very paranoid about the patch not working so I paid close attention to while it was updating. Did not see a optimization pop-up unless it was extremely transient and I blinked or glanced at my iphone.

At least one other had upgrade experience identical to mine:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21551714

If you need anything else, PM me as I'm likely stopping reading these threads because the problem is gone for me... Any slight increase in mll is imperceptible to me and the black portions of the display (including bars) appear perfectly black.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung D series FBr fix discussion