or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wii U - Page 35  

post #1021 of 1142
I pulled my 360 to put in my Wii U Deluxe. The OS definitely need some optimizing. Loading/transitions stink. Love the Gamepad and think resistive is ok for it's purpose (DS clone). I am hoping a Gamepad II comes out that can operate independently of the console itself, have a bigger battery, it's own SD storage slot, etc. I am hoping it spurs Sony to integrate the Vita heavily to the same purpose on the PS4. New Super Mario Bros U is great, as is NintendoLand. Initial reviews of ZombiU scared me off but I'm sure I'll have it in the next couple weeks since I've concluded most are mistaking the purpose of the game as a BF3/COD shooter instead of a horror/survival game it's meant to be.

Gampad TV mode really needs to be able to at least do basic manipulation on my AVR, as well since I need to turn that on to use my Wii U! Right now I'm thinkign of using a spare HDMI on the TV and running an AV multi-out to my AVR.

AS of right now no intention to put my 360 up and may trade it in at Gamestop one of these days while I wait for the Xbox 720...
post #1022 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I think the new PSN store, which is both beautiful, and easy to find what you're looking for, shows that Sony has heard the message, and has the answer.

You're the first person I've seen that had anything good to say about the recent redesign.
post #1023 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I think the new PSN store, which is both beautiful, and easy to find what you're looking for, shows that Sony has heard the message, and has the answer.

You're the first person I've seen that had anything good to say about the recent redesign.

I can't imagine what people don't like about it, other than that its different from the old one. It's far better organized. Easier to search for stuff. Looks pretty too. There's still room for improvement, but the original one is an absolute disaster in comparison.
post #1024 of 1142
Im having sound problems using the Wii U and a Sony strdh520.

I cant get the 5 tones when i configure it to surround. The second tone is the one that is missing, is the tone of the center speaker.

When i configure it in stereo i get the five tones and the center speaker works.

Can anyone help me?
post #1025 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanori View Post

I cant get the 5 tones when i configure it to surround. The second tone is the one that is missing, is the tone of the center speaker.
When i configure it in stereo i get the five tones and the center speaker works.

The second tone on my system is the right front speaker, so you might want to check the wiring to that one.

Is your system a 5.1 or 7.1 system? Do you have a gap in the rhythm of the tones, so the 4 tones you hear is: Left, pause, Right Surround, Left Surround, All?
post #1026 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Do you have a gap in the rhythm of the tones, so the 4 tones you hear is: Left, pause, Right Surround, Left Surround, All?

Exactly like that.
post #1027 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I can't imagine what people don't like about it, other than that its different from the old one. It's far better organized. Easier to search for stuff. Looks pretty too. There's still room for improvement, but the original one is an absolute disaster in comparison.

I haven't logged onto PSN in recent weeks so I haven't seen it for myself, but it has been dragged through the mud at places like the PSPMinis' forum and a few other places I visit.

I've even heard rumors that Sony is considering not introducing it to Japan (They're still using the previous version of the store... at least for now).
post #1028 of 1142
Finally gets released over here in Aus tomorrow but was told lego city is pushed back to 2013. Not happy about that.
post #1029 of 1142
Popped up on NeoGAF via Twitter (so "grain of salt" and all that), but it is Marcan... Ouch if real:




GPU shoud still be fine, but that CPU is gonna make next-gen ports a tough one... I mean, they don't need a magic 700GHz processor or even specs like a high-end gaming PC to make great games, and no one ever thought WiiU would compete 1:1 with PS4/720, but 1.25GHz isn't what I expected.


Low power consumption, backwards compatibility, yada yada yada arguments are all welcome. I'm hoping this leads to an region free hack ASAP...

And, well, if we're being honest here, a homebrew off-screen hack for Wii/VC games. I'd be stupidly excited by that biggrin.gif


[EDIT]

The current gen specs for comparison:

Wii U
CPU: 1.2GHz tri-core
Memory: 2 GB
Memory bandwidth: 12.8 GB/s
GPU core: 550MHz

Xbox 360
CPU: 3.2GHz tri-core
Memory: 512 MB
Memory bandwidth: 22.4 GB/s
GPU core: 500MHz

PS3
CPU: 3.2GHz single core + 6 SPUs
Memory: 256 MB + 256 MB
Memory bandwidth: 25.6 GB/s
GPU Core: 550MHz
post #1030 of 1142
Clock for clock that 1.2ghz CPU is probably a lot more efficient, so the difference isn't as stark as it looks. But there is no getting around the fact that the "next gen" Wii U basically has a slower CPU than the soon to be last gen. You can basically write off third party ports to it once the real next gen gathers steam.
post #1031 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Clock for clock that 1.2ghz CPU is probably a lot more efficient, so the difference isn't as stark as it looks. But there is no getting around the fact that the "next gen" Wii U basically has a slower CPU than the soon to be last gen. You can basically write off third party ports to it once the real next gen gathers steam.

the more I read about this the more likely that seems- WiiU is still single-thread per core, if PS4 comes in with a multi-threaded 8-core behemoth...

forget it.
post #1032 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Clock for clock that 1.2ghz CPU is probably a lot more efficient, so the difference isn't as stark as it looks. But there is no getting around the fact that the "next gen" Wii U basically has a slower CPU than the soon to be last gen. You can basically write off third party ports to it once the real next gen gathers steam.

the more I read about this the more likely that seems- WiiU is still single-thread per core, if PS4 comes in with a multi-threaded 8-core behemoth...

forget it.

I mean, you can forget it already. Devs are already having trouble porting current gen games. Forget about next gen games. At the least the original Wii was more powerful than the previous gen. Wii U is less powerful.

It's a joke.
post #1033 of 1142
Another Nintendo console for kids and grandparents to play together. I will be getting it for my 9 yr old though.
post #1034 of 1142
The Wii U Deluxe is still pretty hard to come by where I live and I happened to be at the right place at the right time, so I picked one up on impulse. I knew about the update hassle and the potential internet connection problems, but what I didn't know was the massive overscan issue on older HDTVs. I game on an XBR960 (CRT) and the Wii U's overscan is extremely bad on it. Please don't tell me to buy another TV, because I'm rather happy with my old technology. I haven't opened my games yet and am actually considering returning the Wii U because of this issue. I only have NSMB and the packed-in game -- do either of them have options to adjust and center the screen? Individual apps like the Miiverse and eShop channels have screen adjustment options, but the main OS doesn't. Nintendo needs to patch this ASAP. I could go into my TV's service menu and make some adjustments, but my PS3 and 360 are fine the way it is.
Edited by Mikazaru - 11/29/12 at 3:43pm
post #1035 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

The Wii U Deluxe is still pretty hard to come by where I live and I happened to be at the right place at the right time, so I picked one up on impulse. I knew about the update hassle and the potential internet connection problems, but what I didn't know was the massive overscan issue on older HDTVs. I game on an XBR960 (CRT) and the Wii U's overscan is extremely bad on it. Please don't tell me to buy another TV, because I'm rather happy with my old technology. I haven't opened my games yet and am actually considering returning the Wii U because of this issue. I only have NSMB and the packed-in game -- do either of them have options to adjust and center the screen? Individual apps like the Miiverse and eShop channels have screen adjustment options, but the main OS doesn't. Nintendo needs to patch this ASAP. I could go into my TV's service menu and make some adjustments, but my PS3 and 360 are fine the way it is.



Disclaimer: I don't own a WiiU or your TV, so, like most of my advice, ignore as necessary.


Advice anyway: The issue's been discussed quite a bit since launch, and it's the TV's fault, sadly. WiiU won't play nicely, so solutions are limited, a bit more complicated than your PS360. From what I understand the disc games are going to be worse than Miiverse, so if you're serious about returning it you might be best served not opening any games until you're sure you've exhausted all the options. You've probably done most of these, you're on AVS so you're pretty savvy, but just in case:
  • First up: Are you using HDMI? Please say it's not composite...
  • Try setting the WiiU to 1080i/p (yes, even though your set only does 1080i, got nothing to loose)
  • Try all the "Fit" and "Zoom" and "Vertical Center" options in the Screen Menu. Your set has "Vertical Expand", make sure that's not on.
  • Try every one of the Video Label inputs. Seriously. Maybe "VCR" is the magic setting
  • Smack the WiiU with a cat (Ok, so this one is unlikely to help, but you'll feel a tad better and teach that cat his f%$(@g lesson)
post #1036 of 1142
Finally bought mine today but have been told I can't buy another game pad as there not sold separately yet. When it was released in the states where you guys able to buy the extra game pad?
post #1037 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Finally bought mine today but have been told I can't buy another game pad as there not sold separately yet. When it was released in the states where you guys able to buy the extra game pad?

Nope. Ninty won't sell one separately until there's games that support it (supposedly).

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/nintendo-wii-u-gamepad-not-at-launch/
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOA CEO and prez Reggie Fils-Aime 
"Through the launch window, there are no games that leverage a second controller. And so, during the launch window here in NOA [Nintendo of America] territories, we will not be selling at retail a second gamepad," he told investors during a Q&A this afternoon. "But certainly, when the games come out, we'll be making that accessory available," he added. As for when games will take advantage of a second WiiPad is another question altogether, and one that Nintendo isn't willing to answer just yet.


Honestly, I don't think they had time to develop for it, nor to figure out how to make two gamepads work, programing-wise. Well, or land on a price point. Selling a second gamepad at $199 is asking a lot of your consumers...



If you don't mind me asking, which version did you pick up and how much? Are they $299/349 in Oz as well?
post #1038 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Finally bought mine today but have been told I can't buy another game pad as there not sold separately yet. When it was released in the states where you guys able to buy the extra game pad?

Nope.
post #1039 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Nope. Ninty won't sell one separately until there's games that support it (supposedly).
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/nintendo-wii-u-gamepad-not-at-launch/
Honestly, I don't think they had time to develop for it, nor to figure out how to make two gamepads work, programing-wise. Well, or land on a price point. Selling a second gamepad at $199 is asking a lot of your consumers...
If you don't mind me asking, which version did you pick up and how much? Are they $299/349 in Oz as well?

Thanks for you reply. I picked up the "premium" for $399 which included Nintendo land.
post #1040 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post

Nope.
Thanks. They advertised a separate pad for $199 but was told today it was pushed back. Good to know anyway.
post #1041 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Another Nintendo console for kids and grandparents to play together. I will be getting it for my 9 yr old though.

If you do get it for your child i really recommend ZombiU, that game is as hardcore as both souls games (demons and dark).
post #1042 of 1142
ZombiU? For a 9 year old? No. Not a great choice. The primary method of survival in the game is to bash people's brains open with a cricket bat.
post #1043 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Disclaimer: I don't own a WiiU or your TV, so, like most of my advice, ignore as necessary.
Advice anyway: The issue's been discussed quite a bit since launch, and it's the TV's fault, sadly. WiiU won't play nicely, so solutions are limited, a bit more complicated than your PS360. From what I understand the disc games are going to be worse than Miiverse, so if you're serious about returning it you might be best served not opening any games until you're sure you've exhausted all the options. You've probably done most of these, you're on AVS so you're pretty savvy, but just in case:
  • First up: Are you using HDMI? Please say it's not composite...
  • Try setting the WiiU to 1080i/p (yes, even though your set only does 1080i, got nothing to loose)
  • Try all the "Fit" and "Zoom" and "Vertical Center" options in the Screen Menu. Your set has "Vertical Expand", make sure that's not on.
  • Try every one of the Video Label inputs. Seriously. Maybe "VCR" is the magic setting
  • Smack the WiiU with a cat (Ok, so this one is unlikely to help, but you'll feel a tad better and teach that cat his f%$(@g lesson)

I'm running all three consoles through a Pioneer receiver (hdmi all around). I've tried 480p, 720p and 1080i (I know 1080p will give me a blank screen). I've tried all view options. My TV only has one hdmi input, but I guess I could dig out some component cables and try other video inputs. The cat DID learn his lesson.

I know that overscan is an issue with my TV, but other source component manufacturers allow for a safety zone that Nintendo has chosen to ignore. I was planning on holding onto my xbr960 until a 40" oled tv became available, but maybe I'll start looking for an lcd with minimal input lag.

Thanks for trying to help.
post #1044 of 1142
Something to remember about Nintendo's current plan, they are wanting to stick to the standard 5 year cycle. E3 2016 will show hints of a new console with a launch in 2017.

Nintendo has talked about how the Wii lasting 6 years was far too long. So I expect them to go back to the 5 year console run.

So basically, Nintendo will be prepping new hardware just as Sony and Microsoft hit their stride. Whether it will be a good or bad thing for Nintendo remains to be seen.
post #1045 of 1142
That sounds more like it's coming from the keyboards of gamer's and the media rather than Nintendo themselves.

I imagine Nintendo will do the traditional thing and take the wait and see approach and go from there based on the actual market conditions. They''re not going to even hint that the Wii U might even be replaced someday in the media until it's time to start moving in that direction a few years down the road. The last thing they want to have is for the Wii U to perhaps be setting the sales charts on fire 5 years down the road and have some ill advised comment from even before the platform launched floating around the internet and possibly turning off some consumer's from making a purchase.

If the Wii was still setting sales records and was closing in on 150 million consoles sold now instead of knocking on the door of 100 million consoles sold like it has been for over 12 months now with sales having slowed to a crawl in recent years compared to the height of its success, I bet what the Wii U represents wouldn't even of been announced as of yet. It was announced and now has been released due to the how the Wii was performing in the marketplace and not because Nintendo decided back in 2006 that they're going to have a 6 year console.

They will surely wait and react to how the industry and their own platform are doing when it comes to pinpointing the ideal time to replace it with a successor (Which is probably already even in the preliminary stages of development with research & development going on now that will contribute to it). It's probably why the Xbox 360 is celebrating seven years on the marketplace as Microsoft's premier console with no hint as of yet of a replacement.

I really doubt someone in a Microsoft boardroom decided that back then. What decided it was the consumer, economic conditions, publisher/developer satisfaction, etc. All things that they have to react to in order to make that decision instead of being a something that they could decide on back in 2005.
Edited by Leo_Ames - 12/1/12 at 1:21am
post #1046 of 1142
post #1047 of 1142
Egh, looks like it won't be a PS3 replacement after all. I expected media servers to have better support than this. Maybe tvii will improve on this?
post #1048 of 1142
New hour long system updatte
post #1049 of 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

New hour long system updatte

Sounds exactly like a PS3 replacement to me. tongue.gif
post #1050 of 1142
It's too bad this keeps getting pushed back. It looks great. It's now an April-June window. I'd love to get a date for the Wonderful 101 too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nintendo
This thread is locked