or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Is 2012 the last year for RPTVs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is 2012 the last year for RPTVs?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I was just wondering have not seen any news out about them. I am guessing this is the last year Mitsubishi will sell them. R.I.P. R.P.T.V.
post #2 of 7
If it is, I hope they come up with something as great as the PQ of DLPs.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
I think if they can put out a 4K RPTV and get rid of some of the negatives of RPTVs like overscan etc. I do love the PQ from them. Maybe a 3 LCD chip or brighter pictures maybe using 2-3 bulbs and not worry about being the best energy star rated. I don't know what would help to save them.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpunisher View Post

I think if they can put out a 4K RPTV and get rid of some of the negatives of RPTVs like overscan etc. I do love the PQ from them. Maybe a 3 LCD chip or brighter pictures maybe using 2-3 bulbs and not worry about being the best energy star rated. I don't know what would help to save them.

The downfall of the RP has been trendiness of "thinness" imho.

Even though the vast majority of people will never mount their set on a wall, they are impressed with the fact that a set is "thin."

So, in that regard, RPTVs just "look old"
Overscan is another problem for some people but I honestly don't think the average consumer knows or cares about it.

If RPTVs want to stick around, they need to deal with the bulb-phobia.
People get scared when they're told they may need to replace a bulb, ever... Even though it's easy and I would much rather replace a bulb in my RPTV than throw my LCD-TV away... most consumers are scared of this.

There is *no excuse* for the delay from RPTV manufacturers in adopting the LED standard for lighting. It would use less power and last a whole lot longer for a small amount more.
Honestly, a bright LED source would add cost, but the cost/size would still heavily favor the DLP set.
post #5 of 7
RPTV as we know it is dead as a doornail. That is why I am so reluctant to part with my Hitachi 65F59 RPHDTV. It is a last of its kind. And IMHO, it's vastly superior to anything flat panel out there right now...with a possible exception of OLED. But the following LPD technology is a whole different animal:

http://www.prysm.com/

It could become a major player in RP format. It is the real...true successor to CRT without all of CRt's warts...including burn-in issues, weight and massive size. It is vastly superior to every technology available or in development from an environmental and energy efficiency standpoint. When I saw this tech demonstrated at the CES a few years ago...2009 or 2010...I and everyone else was simply stunned! There is nothing like it. And it can be manufactured to a thickness of 4"-12". The Company...Prysm even claims it can ultimately be embedded in a screen. Right now they are focused on large commercial display applications with tile based units. But they are in discussion with several display manufacturers for large single frame consumer apps. Some of the rumored players for this tech are Mitsubishi, Hitachi and Samsung. I really like the idea of superior technology like this packaged into a 65"-120" package that is about 12"-14" RP thickness. That is the ideal size IMO to maintain rigid screen integrity. LPD tech is very conducive to a modular design approach like DLP...meaning RP Display top with design cabinetry. The RP top just doesn't need to be nearly as thick as DLP. So I think we will see a much better execution in the RP category with LPD. Without the mirrors...moving parts and bulb constraints of DLP. LPD is the tech I am waiting for in the HT market. IMO, it and OLED are the only 2 that is superior to CRT. Even though LPD is phosphor based like CRT.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpunisher View Post

I was just wondering have not seen any news out about them. I am guessing this is the last year Mitsubishi will sell them. R.I.P. R.P.T.V.

Mitsubishi talked about new models for 2012 at the last CES (note: the 2012 model year for Mitsubishi does not begin Jan 1, 2012, it begins in April or May of something like that). So we know new models are planned, we just know the details.

It would be very odd for them to say anything about 2013 at that time. TVs are a exceedingly small part of Mitsubsihi Electric Company in Japan so TV technology would not make much of an influence on investors in Mitsubishi Electric. The US arm that manufactures and sells the TVs here (yes they are really a US product in that they are not sold around the world, just in the US) is a wholy owned subsidiary of the Japanese parent so the US company would not be trying to impress the investors either. There is no reason for Mitsubsihi to say anything about 2013 plans.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Mitsubishi talked about new models for 2012 at the last CES (note: the 2012 model year for Mitsubishi does not begin Jan 1, 2012, it begins in April or May of something like that). So we know new models are planned, we just know the details.

It would be very odd for them to say anything about 2013 at that time. TVs are a exceedingly small part of Mitsubsihi Electric Company in Japan so TV technology would not make much of an influence on investors in Mitsubishi Electric. The US arm that manufactures and sells the TVs here (yes they are really a US product in that they are not sold around the world, just in the US) is a wholy owned subsidiary of the Japanese parent so the US company would not be trying to impress the investors either. There is no reason for Mitsubsihi to say anything about 2013 plans.

At CES didn't anyone see or ask about 2012 sets? Saw a video showing a booth there. Looked like they had a 92 incher there. Anyone who was there see what model it was? (a new one or the same one they showed at the 2011 show in Vegas) Anyone ask about any new sets coming?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Is 2012 the last year for RPTVs?