or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas - Page 36

post #1051 of 1288
hey there, new to the forums but have been paying attention to this thread...I recently bought a 60pa6500 love it so far but am having one issue....is there a way to get sound to a receiver from the USB drive....or am I only able to use TV speakers for the usb.....thanks in advance
post #1052 of 1288
Bought this plasma for $799 at PC Richards 10 days ago. Broke it in the first 100 hours with the slides. Tweaked it a little following some of the calibration levels listed in this thread. Picture looks pretty darn good, black look MUCH deeper than the Sony 52XBR5 it replaced, and no IR that I can notice. Football looked great this past weekend with no motion blur that I can notice.

A couple of things that I am still working out:

1. Whites have a blue/gray tint to them. For example snow: it isn't bright white like it was on my LCD. When I clone my laptop and compare the two screens, the laptop screen is much whiter than the TV. Is this a characteristic of plasmas in general, or just this model? Is it a configuration issue on my end? How do your whites look? I've tried different color temp setting first because I know cool typically adds a blue tinge to the picture, warm more reddish, etc. None seem to give me that vibrant white I'm used to with my XBR.

2. I have the TV routed to the output of my Onkyo 818 (LOVE this receiver!) When connecting my laptop to the front HDMI input of the receiver and out to the TV, my screen is over scanned just slightly to the right. Left side is perfect with the edge, but the cursor disappears off the screen on the right edge. Graphics properties are 1920x1080 60hz. What else can I tweak to get the screen perfect? I'm using 16x9 aspect ration on the TV. Any thoughts?

3. Lastly, glare is bad on this TV. I told the wife to go purchase some heavy windows treatments to block more light coming in from the bat window that is to the right of the TV. This is an easy fix since it is winter now, so thick curtains are acceptable. Not sure how I will remedy this in the spring when the other window treatment goes back up. All in all, an easy fix.

Thanks,
Joe
post #1053 of 1288
Has anyone found issues with image retention or "ghosting" as it looks like to me?
If I leave a static image on the screen for like 15 minutes (with the TV set to Orbit). And the energy saving on High (so it is very dim). And switch to something else - the image is still there, slightly. Like it is trying to cause image retention. I don't think it lasts - if I do a color wash it pretty much goes away.
I did a 200hr break in - and I'm at like 800hrs of viewing.
I just didn't realize the TV would be so susceptible to this - is that normal? Like I literally can NOT have ANY static images without fear of retention?
Times where I have had a still image displayed - using the iPod/Internet Radio from my receiver or when I run the Disney WOW - the Disney logo at top will stick for a while, slightly.

Also - in the specs it says this TV has the "Triple XD Engine" - on their explanation it says this does a lot to the image - anyway to adjust these settings or turn them on/off?
post #1054 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneb0422 View Post

Has anyone found issues with image retention or "ghosting" as it looks like to me?
If I leave a static image on the screen for like 15 minutes (with the TV set to Orbit). And the energy saving on High (so it is very dim). And switch to something else - the image is still there, slightly. Like it is trying to cause image retention. I don't think it lasts - if I do a color wash it pretty much goes away.
I did a 200hr break in - and I'm at like 800hrs of viewing.
I just didn't realize the TV would be so susceptible to this - is that normal? Like I literally can NOT have ANY static images without fear of retention?
Times where I have had a still image displayed - using the iPod/Internet Radio from my receiver or when I run the Disney WOW - the Disney logo at top will stick for a while, slightly.
Also - in the specs it says this TV has the "Triple XD Engine" - on their explanation it says this does a lot to the image - anyway to adjust these settings or turn them on/off?

I wouldn't be too worried about it. There's a lot SD and black bar material played on my TV and also get it but it goes away. I dont even bother doing the color wash. But when I do the color wash I leave it until it turns itself off. Someone on here said it lasts about 10-15mins and switches off. The triple xd engine feature is probably a panel/hardware feature that can't be changed. All settings are basically accessible through the settings menu.
post #1055 of 1288
When I first bought the set it had a some sort of debris behind the glass. Smaller than a pixel but there were maybe 8 specs visible. I had discovers these specs as I was running break in slides and were noticeable from about 0-3 ft. With 30 days to return or exchange I took the opportunity to test the set for burn in, it etc. I immediately stopped slides and used it for gaming, paused it for long periods of time, let the wife watch SD material with pillar boxes, several hours with bluray movies with black bars, channels with static logos, etc. All of this was on preset settings. The set suffered some itbut nothing the color wash couldn't handle! So I exchanged that set for a new one which was just perfect out the box with no defects of any kind and has been running great ever since. This being my first plasma and maybe the only TV set for the next several years I wanted to put the set through some everyday use and see if I could get some burn in but it never happened.
post #1056 of 1288
That's funny you attempted to burn in before exchange period - clever idea to test it out lol.
I appreciate the response - I love the TV, and this is also my first Plasma, I just don't want to ruin it! I am a bit more confident now.
I am a little surprised the Orbit feature is so useless. Basically I think it just caused the static image to be "larger" like it stuck in all the places it orbited to in addition to the normal position.
post #1057 of 1288
Well I was trying to get burn in from normal type of use. Video games on pause and static HUD's, 4:3 tv, bluray black bars, HDTV with static logos are all normal ways of using the tv and I wanted to ensure none of that burned in images permanently. I was tempted to try a USB with an image and just leave it there for hours or days but I did not bother.
post #1058 of 1288
I'll add to this discussion about image retention that I played Far Cry 3 tonight for about 3 hours with Energy Saving off and contrast at 100. There is a static health bar and mini map on the screen at all times. I had the orbiter on and manually switched from 16:9 to Just Scan and vice versa every half hour. After finishing, I could only see the IR on a dark grey full screen slide. My girlfriend and I watched the Victoria's Secret show tonight and I checked the slide again after and there was no sign of it. I mentioned this early on in this thread, but I'll mention it again; this set is MUCH LESS prone to IR than my 2009 Panasonic S plasma.
post #1059 of 1288
So I just got a 50PA5500 ($475 before taxes on Dell) and have a question for you. My display does not to all the way to the edge of the screen, is that normal?

On my unit, you have the plastic trim around the screen, then I have a half inch of black all around the screen before the picture actually shows. I thought the picture would go all the way to the plastic.

Anyone else's like that?
post #1060 of 1288
@ icevapor: Anyone else's like that? We are ALL like that of course. The 50" set is really a 49 1/2 inch set.
post #1061 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by icevapor View Post

So I just got a 50PA5500 ($475 before taxes on Dell) and have a question for you. My display does not to all the way to the edge of the screen, is that normal?
On my unit, you have the plastic trim around the screen, then I have a half inch of black all around the screen before the picture actually shows. I thought the picture would go all the way to the plastic.
Anyone else's like that?
Check your settings if you are in Just Scan mode this is possible. Try Set By Program or 16X9 and see if the screen is filled.
post #1062 of 1288
Gotcha, I didn't measure it, but I was thinking the whole thing was 50" then the screen is 49.5" (minus plastic)... but its probably more like 50.75 minus .75" plastic - .5" non-lit screen.

Thanks
post #1063 of 1288
Hi everyone, I'm not new to the site but I am new to posting. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info not just in this thread but across the site.

I'm still reading through the thread and have gotten to page 18 but I was wondering can anyone tell me if the PA6500 an the PA4500 are similar in performance? I know the PA4500 is 720p vs. 1080p on the PA6500 which is fine with me but do they get the same level of color saturation and black level performance?

I am hoping to pick up a 50PA4500 tomorrow and just wanted to confirm this.

Thanks in advance
Jim
post #1064 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno1987 View Post

hey there, new to the forums but have been paying attention to this thread...I recently bought a 60pa6500 love it so far but am having one issue....is there a way to get sound to a receiver from the USB drive....or am I only able to use TV speakers for the usb.....thanks in advance

I just run it through the toslink (optical cable). Plays fine with my Bose Cinema Mate. I even play the usb through my bluray player > hdmi to tv > toslink to Bose.
post #1065 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Sanders View Post

I'll add to this discussion about image retention that I played Far Cry 3 tonight for about 3 hours with Energy Saving off and contrast at 100. There is a static health bar and mini map on the screen at all times. I had the orbiter on and manually switched from 16:9 to Just Scan and vice versa every half hour. After finishing, I could only see the IR on a dark grey full screen slide. My girlfriend and I watched the Victoria's Secret show tonight and I checked the slide again after and there was no sign of it. I mentioned this early on in this thread, but I'll mention it again; this set is MUCH LESS prone to IR than my 2009 Panasonic S plasma.

Loving that game, looks amazing. Although I flipped it over to the tv briefly I got scared of IR with that pesky health bar and mini map.
post #1066 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post

Bought this plasma for $799 at PC Richards 10 days ago. Broke it in the first 100 hours with the slides. Tweaked it a little following some of the calibration levels listed in this thread. Picture looks pretty darn good, black look MUCH deeper than the Sony 52XBR5 it replaced, and no IR that I can notice. Football looked great this past weekend with no motion blur that I can notice.
A couple of things that I am still working out:

2. I have the TV routed to the output of my Onkyo 818 (LOVE this receiver!) When connecting my laptop to the front HDMI input of the receiver and out to the TV, my screen is over scanned just slightly to the right. Left side is perfect with the edge, but the cursor disappears off the screen on the right edge. Graphics properties are 1920x1080 60hz. What else can I tweak to get the screen perfect? I'm using 16x9 aspect ration on the TV. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

In your graphics properties there should be a setting for over scan/ under scan. Naturally my brief stint with Far Cry 3 was not filling the entire screen until I adjusted it in the PC settings.
post #1067 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevsspot View Post

I updated the firmware and honestly not sure what changed. I wasn't having any issues before (also a fellow computer builder) but for some reason can't resist the temptation to keep firmware updated on my audio / video gear. At any rate, I haven't noticed any drastic changes between the shipping firmware and the latest firmware I updated too.
I didn't have any problems with the firmware flash. Put the file/folder on a USB drive (formatted FAT32 - and even had other stuff on the drive) plugged it into the USB port on the TV. TV immediately recognized the USB drive and found the updated firmware file. Followed the instructions and it was all done in less than a minute.
Just DO NOT shut down the TV under any circumstance during the firmware upgrade process smile.gif

True, I guess I'll stick with the current firmware. Thanks for the reply.
post #1068 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipser View Post

Hi everyone, I'm not new to the site but I am new to posting. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info not just in this thread but across the site.
I'm still reading through the thread and have gotten to page 18 but I was wondering can anyone tell me if the PA6500 an the PA4500 are similar in performance? I know the PA4500 is 720p vs. 1080p on the PA6500 which is fine with me but do they get the same level of color saturation and black level performance?
I am hoping to pick up a 50PA4500 tomorrow and just wanted to confirm this.
Thanks in advance
Jim

Why u wanna buy a HD ready plasma when u can put a little more money and pick the full HD one? I think the PA6500 has an improved black filter. And blu-ray movies are amazing on it, after some little tweaks. Make an effort and take the PA6500. U wont regret it.
post #1069 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelitto View Post

Why u wanna buy a HD ready plasma when u can put a little more money and pick the full HD one? I think the PA6500 has an improved black filter. And blu-ray movies are amazing on it, after some little tweaks. Make an effort and take the PA6500. U wont regret it.


Hey angelitto, thanks for the info. I actually don't live in the US and don't get the kind of prices that you folks do. I am getting a 50PA4500 for the equivalent of $1200 and a 60PA6500 for $500 more (highway robbery I know), so it's a significant difference hence my question. After seeing them both in action today I'm satisfied with the picture quality of the 50PA4500 but that 60" is just so damn tempting....smile.gif

Have a few more days to contemplate before my final decision though. Either way I'll be back to report which I ended up with and to get more advice on picture settings.
post #1070 of 1288
u dont have there 50PA6500? only 60" one?
post #1071 of 1288
Yup just the 60" PA6500 and the 50" PA4500. I also saw recently a 50" PV400 but info on that model is limited.
post #1072 of 1288
Looking for some advice. Current owner of a 2010 50" 720P Samsung plasma that has developed an issue called red diffusion. Basically it's out of warranty and the symptoms are only going to get worse. Anyway I've been thinking about going with either a 55" LED or a 60" plasma. I really like the 60" LG no frills model here which can be had for a decent price. We primarily watch HD cable with the occasional weekend BR. I sit about 8' from the screen while my wife's seating is between 11' and 12' on the couch. Is this 8' too close from this 60" LG for watching shows on HD cable? Will I see dithering from my seating position (my wife had great eyesight).

The one downside to my viewing is the glare that these plasmas have but I've learned to deal with it.

Also does this 60" LG put out much heat? It would be going in a corner where my thermostat is (same location my current plasma is).

Thoughts?

-Guru
post #1073 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

Looking for some advice. Current owner of a 2010 50" 720P Samsung plasma that has developed an issue called red diffusion. Basically it's out of warranty and the symptoms are only going to get worse. Anyway I've been
thinking about going with either a 55" LED or a 60" plasma. I really like the 60" LG no frills model here which can be had for a decent price. We primarily watch HD cable with the occasional weekend BR. I sit about 8' from the screen while my wife's seating is between 11' and
12' on the couch. Is this 8' too close from this 60" LG for watching
shows on HD cable? Will I see dithering from my seating position (my
wife had great eyesight).

I had a 50" Panasonic plasma prior to this 60" LG and I sit where my head is about 8-9 feet from the mounting location and it works for me perfectly at this distance. I often lean forward closing the gap even further while on the Xbox. Regarding heat, on the brighter settings there is definitely a fair amount of heat put out to the point I could see it affecting a thermostat mounted close by. I wouldn't think it would be too much different than your Samsung if it was mounted in the same place. I had a similar situation with my thermostat right above my 50 gallon aquarium and I found a Hunter thermostat that came with a remote sensor that you put elsewhere in the house and then you can program the unit to base its operation on either the thermostat itself or the sensor throughout the day. Great solution for my two story place given that upstairs and down always differ quite a bit.
post #1074 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Sanders View Post

I had a 50" Panasonic plasma prior to this 60" LG and I sit where my head is about 8-9 feet from the mounting location and it works for me perfectly at this distance. I often lean forward closing the gap even further while on the Xbox. Regarding heat, on the brighter settings there is definitely a fair amount of heat put out to the point I could see it affecting a thermostat mounted close by. I wouldn't think it would be too much different than your Samsung if it was mounted in the same place. I had a similar situation with my thermostat right above my 50 gallon aquarium and I found a Hunter thermostat that came with a remote sensor that you put elsewhere in the house and then you can program the unit to base its operation on either the thermostat itself or the sensor throughout the day. Great solution for my two story place given that upstairs and down always differ quite a bit.

Thanks for the reply. So do you notice any dithering at your viewing distance?

Also how is the glare on this? My samsung is pretty much a mirror.

Thanks,

-Guru
post #1075 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

Thanks for the reply. So do you notice any dithering at your viewing distance?
Also how is the glare on this? My samsung is pretty much a mirror.
Thanks,
-Guru

My LG is a mirror but that's pretty much the case with all plasmas, I don't care what person claims their filter does for them. I just turn my tv at an angle to avoid it during the day.
post #1076 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

Thanks for the reply. So do you notice any dithering at your viewing distance?
Also how is the glare on this? My samsung is pretty much a mirror.
Thanks,
-Guru

I don't notice any dithering until I'm about half way to the set. This set is definitely reflective. I don't really care about that too much. As a matter of fact, I have an 80" mirror mounted on the wall behind the plasma and I can often see the reflected image on the set bouncing off the mirror and showing up in the reflection of the LG. It's right next to French doors too - lol. It's really no big deal to me and I'm ungodly picky and perfectionistic in every aspect of my life. I even wax all of my appliances once a year, not to mention my car once a month. Btw, I don't wax the plasma - lol. LED's are super reflective in a lot of cases too.
post #1077 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDKYD81 View Post

In your graphics properties there should be a setting for over scan/ under scan. Naturally my brief stint with Far Cry 3 was not filling the entire screen until I adjusted it in the PC settings.

My Lenovo laptop has an onboard Intel GPU, so the settings aren't as robust as an external graphics card on a desktop (or better one on a laptop than mine) So I don't see/have an overscan/underscan setting. I think I just have to deal with it. BTW, I'm thinking of picking up Far Cry 3 for the PS3 this weekend. I saw the commercial on TV and it looks like my kind of game. I love the Uncharted Series where the game is more like a movie that you are playing the main character. Is that your take on Far Cry 3?
post #1078 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post

My Lenovo laptop has an onboard Intel GPU, so the settings aren't as robust as an external graphics card on a desktop (or better one on a laptop than mine) So I don't see/have an overscan/underscan setting. I think I just have to deal with it. BTW, I'm thinking of picking up Far Cry 3 for the PS3 this weekend. I saw the commercial on TV and it looks like my kind of game. I love the Uncharted Series where the game is more like a movie that you are playing the main character. Is that your take on Far Cry 3?

I recently beat Far Cry 3 and loved it. Aside from the story the graphics environment is gorgeous. On my mom's two year old intel laptop I hooked up the tv and in the intel graphics properties there's a display tab - general settings, in there you can select scaling. I think first choose extend displays and select the tv as main display. When horizontal and vertical scaling are set to 70% it fits the screen correct on 1920x1080 settings.
post #1079 of 1288
Hello.

How do I acquire the Expert Settings and also setting Color MANAGEMENT to 0???.
Muchly appreciated.

I have a LG60PA6500
Richard.
captain864@yahoo.com
post #1080 of 1288
To Reaffirm. This set is kick ass.. I have been watching mine for a few months now and its the best set I have had. I runs as cool as any 60" plasma you will find. In contrast even panasonic has a basic 60" plasma at Sams now in the same 800$ price range. There is maybe one more out there. NOTABLE. That damn Panasonic 50U series (or whatever it is) STILL puts out massive heat from the screen. Sams had it a few months ago dont know if still there (it was 50"). That newer panasonic 60" I mentions NOTABLE does NOT have the heat the other P lines do. Its extermely basic with no mare features than any other 60" plasma at this price range...

On a final note, this set has absolutely ruined me to my bed and making me neglect my work as a point of the television interaction. The 50" panisonic I had before did not really do that to me so bad. Maybe heat, perhaps just the 10" difference - dont know for sure. But this set is awsome...!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas