or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas - Page 6

post #151 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy2k7 View Post

Thanks for the tip, I'll put the brightness up a bit, I think it's at 50 right now. Also I think we turned energy saving on the other day. I take it that's not a good idea? (I'll say I wasn't the one who wanted it on)

Also I'm kind of worried after looking through this thread about how unhappy people are with the TV. Personally I think it looks great, but I haven't had 5 or 10 plasmas in the past to compare it to.

I'm sure I'll be able to do a few tweaks here and there to improve it even more but I'm happy with it for sure.

This is about where I am at right now. I setup the TV last night, watched a few minutes of a random TV cop drama show in HD. My audio wasn't working so I was messing with that and I noticed the dithering in the dark areas of the screen. Granted I was standing 2 feet away from the TV, but I wasn't expecting that snow/static/dithering in the dark areas. This is my first plasma, I could not find a comparatively priced LCD with black/color levels I was happy with.

Then I messed with the display modes a bit, watched a hockey game for about 15 minutes, ran color wash and turned off the TV for the day. Tonight I will put some time into burn in. I mostly watch sports/racing and play video games, so I am really worried about IR. This weekend I am going to get as many hours on the TV with scaled low def content and the test DVDs as I can. Unfortunately my TWC cable box just stops working after 3 hours when it pops up a "Are you still viewing?" message box after 3 hours, so I need to babysit it

Is the dithering a sign of a "defective" panel, or just something plasma TVs do in varying degrees? This thread has me a bit worried my TV is just defective. I bought my locally so I can just bring it back for another one, unless they all do this...
post #152 of 1288
Would anyone recommend this over a Panny UT50?
post #153 of 1288
[u]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

I feel the same, for the price I can't complain.
If it was 1k I would definitively return it and get a Samsung or Pana, but for 700$ ....

My experience with plasmas is that every brand has its advantages and disadvantages. None is perfect. Just take a look at some of the forums (for example:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post22059388)

I'm very sensitive to plasma buzz. In my experience, the LG plasmas have the least amount of buzzing. My 60PA6500 has very little buzz. So if there are other aspects of the LG that are less than perfect, I'm willing to make the compromise. And in this case, I feel the compromises are minor. For the price paid, I'm getting a great, giant-sized picture!
post #154 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post


This is about where I am at right now. I setup the TV last night, watched a few minutes of a random TV cop drama show in HD. My audio wasn't working so I was messing with that and I noticed the dithering in the dark areas of the screen. Granted I was standing 2 feet away from the TV, but I wasn't expecting that snow/static/dithering in the dark areas. This is my first plasma, I could not find a comparatively priced LCD with black/color levels I was happy with.

Then I messed with the display modes a bit, watched a hockey game for about 15 minutes, ran color wash and turned off the TV for the day. Tonight I will put some time into burn in. I mostly watch sports/racing and play video games, so I am really worried about IR. This weekend I am going to get as many hours on the TV with scaled low def content and the test DVDs as I can. Unfortunately my TWC cable box just stops working after 3 hours when it pops up a "Are you still viewing?" message box after 3 hours, so I need to babysit it

Is the dithering a sign of a "defective" panel, or just something plasma TVs do in varying degrees? This thread has me a bit worried my TV is just defective. I bought my locally so I can just bring it back for another one, unless they all do this...

All plasmas have dithering to some extent. Most disappear at normal viewing distances. Mine was excessive to where it looked like noise on the screen and actually was disrupting straight lines such as letterboxing. I decided not to live with it. If yours is only visible 2 feet away I wouldn't worry about it.
post #155 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

Is the dithering a sign of a "defective" panel, or just something plasma TVs do in varying degrees? This thread has me a bit worried my TV is just defective. I bought my locally so I can just bring it back for another one, unless they all do this...

Hi ocellaris

Dithering is the normal process through which all plasmas produce various shades of grey and color by using red, green and blue as do all sets, crts, lcds etc, there are no grey pixels so if one is close to the set you'll see it but it's more obvious because of the "plasma gas" on plasmas and especially in areas near black. But it's also what makes plasma images look more natural and not the monitor type image many experience on LCD/LED screens as the pixels are not as inert, therefore more organic in nature.
post #156 of 1288
Well we picked up the TV and set it up last week (the 60PA6500) and aside from the minor issue I mentioned earlier I really can't complain. We've watched a blu-ray movie almost every night and they look fantastic. We've watched all the hockey games and various other shows since last week in HD and again can't complain, it looks great. I haven't noticed anything from our viewing distance that would bother me visually.

But, and I don't know if I'm just looking for it or if it's really there but the audio seemed out of sync a bit on certain movies a few times. This is through a receiver and surround setup though and divulges off topic. The setting on the receiver to delay the audio is actually the opposite direction...when I notice the out of sync the video needs to be delayed, not the audio to match it up. I don't know if that's an issue with the TV or the audio devices. New to the whole home theater and HDTV deal!
post #157 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy2k7 View Post

Well we picked up the TV and set it up last week (the 60PA6500) and aside from the minor issue I mentioned earlier I really can't complain. We've watched a blu-ray movie almost every night and they look fantastic. We've watched all the hockey games and various other shows since last week in HD and again can't complain, it looks great. I haven't noticed anything from our viewing distance that would bother me visually.

But, and I don't know if I'm just looking for it or if it's really there but the audio seemed out of sync a bit on certain movies a few times. This is through a receiver and surround setup though and divulges off topic. The setting on the receiver to delay the audio is actually the opposite direction...when I notice the out of sync the video needs to be delayed, not the audio to match it up. I don't know if that's an issue with the TV or the audio devices. New to the whole home theater and HDTV deal!

Tempted to pick this up at Sams. Good price. Anybody have any negative comments about it. Or is the ut50 way better.
post #158 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy2k7 View Post

Well we picked up the TV and set it up last week (the 60PA6500) and aside from the minor issue I mentioned earlier I really can't complain. We've watched a blu-ray movie almost every night and they look fantastic. We've watched all the hockey games and various other shows since last week in HD and again can't complain, it looks great. I haven't noticed anything from our viewing distance that would bother me visually.

But, and I don't know if I'm just looking for it or if it's really there but the audio seemed out of sync a bit on certain movies a few times. This is through a receiver and surround setup though and divulges off topic. The setting on the receiver to delay the audio is actually the opposite direction...when I notice the out of sync the video needs to be delayed, not the audio to match it up. I don't know if that's an issue with the TV or the audio devices. New to the whole home theater and HDTV deal!

How is your receiver hooked up? Are you running an optical cable from your TV to the receiver to carry all of sound? Or is everything plugged into the receiver and then running to the TV?
post #159 of 1288
Anybody have a pic of their tv in action?
post #160 of 1288
@brody76: I had to call customer support to find out how to access the screen that shows run time. "Hit the red button on remote to access red button on screen" Who knew, certainly not the manual writer or did he?
Anyway my run time was 62 hours when I first checked earlier today. Watched a recorded movie and now run time shows 64 hours. So I also have access and it seems to be accurate. I could lend you a hammer ....
post #161 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

How is your receiver hooked up? Are you running an optical cable from your TV to the receiver to carry all of sound? Or is everything plugged into the receiver and then running to the TV?

We've got all the peripherals plugged into the receiver via HDMI and then one HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV.
post #162 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairwood View Post

@brody76: I had to call customer support to find out how to access the screen that shows run time. "Hit the red button on remote to access red button on screen" Who knew, certainly not the manual writer or did he?
Anyway my run time was 62 hours when I first checked earlier today. Watched a recorded movie and now run time shows 64 hours. So I also have access and it seems to be accurate. I could lend you a hammer ....

Well I found out where it should show up, problem is it doesn't show up on my model. Seems to be a FW difference on the US and EU models (if you check back one or two pages I actually took a picture of the menu).

Hope it gets corrected in a future update.
post #163 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

Well I found out where it should show up, problem is it doesn't show up on my model. Seems to be a FW difference on the US and EU models (if you check back one or two pages I actually took a picture of the menu).

Hope it gets corrected in a future update.

It doesn't show up until you hit the red button. That whole line is missing on mine until I hit the red.
post #164 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy2k7 View Post

We've got all the peripherals plugged into the receiver via HDMI and then one HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV.

Does it mean that 50PA6500 supports Audio Return Channel (ARC)? And the HDMI cable is version 1.4?
post #165 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

It doesn't show up until you hit the red button. That whole line is missing on mine until I hit the red.

I don't get it ?
You mean while in the Product/service info menu I have to hit the red again ?

Doesn't do a thing.

If you would write down how to proceed, would be of great help.
post #166 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

I don't get it ?
You mean while in the Product/service info menu I have to hit the red again ?

Doesn't do a thing.

If you would write down how to proceed, would be of great help.

I don't know what else to add. When I got to the screen where the hours should be, it wasn't there. Then I pressed the red button (the one at the bottom of the remote) and it showed up out of nowhere I have a 50PA5500 is that matters.

Got in some gaming time on my 50PA5500 today. Gotta say I was a bit worried about input lag and dithering, but once I got into games it was great. I am only playing games with a floating HUD or no HUD at all, I only have 11 hours on the display and don't want to worry about IR at this point. I have about 6 of those 11 hours just running a break in DVD when I am not in the room.

My only real problem is the TV going to "sleep" during full black scene transitions. Another post indicated that setting the brightness to 52 would fix it. This doesn't fix it for me. I had it as high as 60 and it would still blip out between scenes. This happened right as I beat a PS3 game for the first time, extremely annoying I have the display hooked up to a PS3 outputting full range HDMI. The TV was in game mode with the contrast lowered to 50. During the final cut scenes I was fiddling with the TV trying to fix the sleep issue. There must be some other variable that causes or fixes the problem. I had power saving off as well.
post #167 of 1288
Try raising your contrast eventually, I heard that it has something to do with brightness and contrast. Some Samsung also have this problem (screen turning off) and some people could fix it by raising contrast and brightness to a certain point.

Thanks for the tip about used time, unfortunately doesn't work for me.
post #168 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post


My only real problem is the TV going to "sleep" during full black scene transitions. Another post indicated that setting the brightness to 52 would fix it. This doesn't fix it for me. I had it as high as 60 and it would still blip out between scenes. This happened right as I beat a PS3 game for the first time, extremely annoying I have the display hooked up to a PS3 outputting full range HDMI. The TV was in game mode with the contrast lowered to 50. During the final cut scenes I was fiddling with the TV trying to fix the sleep issue. There must be some other variable that causes or fixes the problem. I had power saving off as well.

Hi ocellaris

Actually going to "sleep" or the panel just goes to 0 black, if it is going to sleep I would call that it a service issue and contact LG. If the screen just goes black after a second or two with a blank screen and then "immediately" jumps to normal brightness it's probably fine and common with some panels.
post #169 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody76 View Post

Since you mentioned It I can notice those too on my plasma.
I can't see them during a movie, but on dark image I can for example.

I'd like to ask again since no one answered, I'm not able to see the running time on my plasma in the "Costumer support" menu, can any of you ? Someone said earlier in this topic that he could, I wonder why I can't.

It would come in handy for the break-in period.

Hi Brody 76,

I've just purchased the 50PA6500. I'm based in Vancouver, BC. Love the TV.

For Used Time: Press buttons listed below in the following sequence.
Settings/The red button with a single white dot (picture test, sound test and products/service screen appears)/arrow down to picture test, sound test and products/service (should be highlighted) / press O/K.

4th line down, under serial # should be the Used Time.
Model/Type: 50PA6500-UA.
My software version is 03.09.00.

Hope this helps
post #170 of 1288
I've had my 60 inch pa5500 for about two weeks now...it does not appear to be excellent in any category but is in fact very good in every single category...i am thoroughly impressed, especially at this price point. Two thumbs up!
post #171 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittdawg View Post

...it does not appear to be excellent in any category but is in fact very good in every single category...

That's the perfect way to describe this TV. I agree!
post #172 of 1288
I thought exactly the same way until I returned it and hung a Samsung in its place. There is no comparison. Everything down to the unboxing was better. Less dithering. Handles motion better. Less IR. It has that "wow factor" out of the box that none of the LGs I tried could ever get. This is a 5 series so cost is only slightly more than the LG. I went through 3 LG plasmas this year and they all had issues.
post #173 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

I thought exactly the same way until I returned it and hung a Samsung in its place. There is no comparison. Everything down to the unboxing was better. Less dithering. Handles motion better. Less IR. It has that "wow factor" out of the box that none of the LGs I tried could ever get. This is a 5 series so cost is only slightly more than the LG. I went through 3 LG plasmas this year and they all had issues.

I have noticed no dithering or motion problems. Where did you get a 60 inch 5 series Samsung plasma for just slightly more than $799?
post #174 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

... It has that "wow factor" out of the box that none of the LGs I tried could ever get. ...

But I say "Wow" every time I turn on my LG. We all have different needs and expectations. I'm glad you've found a TV that meets yours.
post #175 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittdawg View Post


I have noticed no dithering or motion problems. Where did you get a 60 inch 5 series Samsung plasma for just slightly more than $799?

Holy crap! You got a 60" for $799? The cheapest I'm my area is $1000-1099+tax for the PA6500. For $800 it's a good set. I will not argue that. Here it's about $200 more for a Samsung E530 ($1100 vs $1300). I think it is worth the extra $200. If you can get the LG for that price, more power to ya.
post #176 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Holy crap! You got a 60" for $799? The cheapest I'm my area is $1000-1099+tax for the PA6500. For $800 it's a good set. I will not argue that. Here it's about $200 more for a Samsung E530 ($1100 vs $1300). I think it is worth the extra $200. If you can get the LG for that price, more power to ya.

I think he was implying that "you" got a 5 series 60" tv for 799, prolly cause you mention above you had the same tv as Pittdawg (60pa6550) but returned it and got a samsung. Not sure where pittdawg came up with the 799 price though.
post #177 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Holy crap! You got a 60" for $799? The cheapest I'm my area is $1000-1099+tax for the PA6500. For $800 it's a good set. I will not argue that. Here it's about $200 more for a Samsung E530 ($1100 vs $1300). I think it is worth the extra $200. If you can get the LG for that price, more power to ya.

I know Sam's Club had a Samsung PN60E535 for $998 (not sure if it's still that price).

How is the glare on your new Sammy compared to the LG? I have a cheap 50" Sammy plasma (which I love) but the glare is pretty bad. Just wondering if this 5 series is any better?

-Guru
post #178 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbedaman View Post

I think he was implying that "you" got a 5 series 60" tv for 799, prolly cause you mention above you had the same tv as Pittdawg (60pa6550) but returned it and got a samsung. Not sure where pittdawg came up with the 799 price though.

Fry's brick and mortar store has had it on sale for $799 for almost two weeks now...that's where I got mine
post #179 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post


I know Sam's Club had a Samsung PN60E535 for $998 (not sure if it's still that price).

How is the glare on your new Sammy compared to the LG? I have a cheap 50" Sammy plasma (which I love) but the glare is pretty bad. Just wondering if this 5 series is any better?

-Guru

About the same as all other plasmas. Mine is in a light controlled room though so not much of an issue for me.

My point was that I have had the PM6700 and PA6500 in my room each for at least a week. At the time I was looking, local prices for the PA6500 and E530 in 60" models was $1199 and $1350 respectively. To me, IMO, if someone were debating between the two, the Samsung is worth the extra $150 in every way. I ended up with a PN64E550 for a bit more, but the 530 is the same panel minus the 3D and apps.
post #180 of 1288
Same here I got the 60PA5500 for $799 at Fry's in San Jose. As others have mentioned before, I believe it is identical to the 60PA6500, according to LG's website. I can also confirm that my PA5500 has 2 component inputs which LG's website claims should only have 1.

This plasma has replaced my 50" Samsung DLP circa 2007, and so far I'm impressed. I've been messing with the video settings with some guides I've found online and the picture looks amazing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas