or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas - Page 12

post #331 of 1288
FYI, local costco had the 6500 60" for $950 this week (yes the 6500, double checked the serial #)
post #332 of 1288
Quote:
Animated films such as "How To Train Your Dragon" really show off the high points of this TV.

I had the same reaction last night when watching "Tin Tin" on BD. It definitely looks different than watching it on a 32" CRT.
post #333 of 1288
Thinking of buying the 60pa6550 tommorrow. How is watching sports on this tv? Don't game much, watch movies and mainly sports. Or would led or lcd be better for sports? thanks
post #334 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel81 View Post

Thinking of buying the 60pa6550 tommorrow. How is watching sports on this tv? Don't game much, watch movies and mainly sports. Or would led or lcd be better for sports? thanks

i have the 50 inch model and i have been watching baseball and basketball on it all week and it works good. got mine last Saturday
post #335 of 1288
sweet my vizio 50 plasma 720 60 hz just took a crap and i'm sure any thing new these days will be better? hopefully! Do thesze guy's still run hot or have they improved on that??
post #336 of 1288
I got an LG 60PA6500 and i'm playing GTA IV on my Xbox 360 now, but i just don't like how it looks at all. No problems with other games. Anyyone with the same tv and GTA IV on 360? If so..how does it look for you and what settings are you using?
post #337 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel81 View Post

sweet my vizio 50 plasma 720 60 hz just took a crap and i'm sure any thing new these days will be better? hopefully! Do thesze guy's still run hot or have they improved on that??

They run a bit warm, but it nothing compared to my old samsung plasma, it would heat up the room on a cold day real quick. This new LG just gets kinda warm.
post #338 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel81 View Post

sweet my vizio 50 plasma 720 60 hz just took a crap and i'm sure any thing new these days will be better? hopefully! Do thesze guy's still run hot or have they improved on that??
My 60PA6500 runs cooler than my 4yr old Westinghouse LCD. It still is fairly warm but not crazy. IMO, of course.
post #339 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post

I got an LG 60PA6500 and i'm playing GTA IV on my Xbox 360 now, but i just don't like how it looks at all. No problems with other games. Anyyone with the same tv and GTA IV on 360? If so..how does it look for you and what settings are you using?

For what it is worth, I think GTA IV looks like crap. You are just seeing all of the problems with it now because you have a better display.
post #340 of 1288
LG posted a firmware updated on their site for these TVs (50 and 60 inch 5500 and 6500 models). The release date is 07/10/2012, has anyone tried the new firmware yet?

Or a better question might be, can users even flash their own firmware?
post #341 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

LG posted a firmware updated on their site for these TVs (50 and 60 inch 5500 and 6500 models). The release date is 07/10/2012, has anyone tried the new firmware yet?
Or a better question might be, can users even flash their own firmware?
I see no mention of updating in the manuals. I was assuming one would just download the file onto a usb drive and plug it in, I don't know if I want to find out what happens though. lol


edit: ok so I plugged it in, only gave me the option to view movies/music/pics. I didn't see anything new that referred to updating software.
Edited by domoMKIV - 7/12/12 at 11:15pm
post #342 of 1288
If it works like older TVs... Create a folder called LG_DTV on a blank flash drive. Copy the firmware into the folder. Turn off the TV, put the USB stick in the TV, then turn the TV on.

If you Google "lg_dtv folder", you will find a bunch of links and info on LG sites.
Edited by ocellaris - 7/13/12 at 7:20am
post #343 of 1288
This sort of thing (updates via USB drives) needs to be much better described by LG. What about us little old ladies in our retirement homes out in the boonies? wink.gif How are we supposed to know the finer details of what is needed. Why shouldn't we have all the bells and whistles that the smart asses in town get and know all about. I'm just sayin'. Would some nice young man in the big city please take the time to explain what these upgrades are all about for example? Where on the internet do I look on my nice Vista computer?
post #344 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

If it works like older TVs... Create a folder called LG_DTV on a blank flash drive. Copy the firmware into the folder. Turn off the TV, put the USB stick in the TV, then turn the TV on.
If you Google "lg_dtv folder", you will find a bunch of links and info on LG sites.
I'll try it later when I get home if nobody else has.
post #345 of 1288
My local BJ's Wholesale has the 50PA6500 for $599. I have a HH Gregg coupon for 11% off and BJ's accepts coupons.

Good price, right?

It's replacing a Panny 50" 1080P TH-50PZ800U set that has died 3 times now (2x lightning, one time it had black magic.)
First time was a $600 repair (covered by AMEX thank the Lord!) Second was $250.

Anyway estimates are its another $300 to fix it, this seems like a better choice.

Consumer Reports does not give LG plasmas great reliability ratings, but they also said Panny was the best. I love Panny - they make most other plasma sets for other manufacturers, but I've had enough!

New set = more energy efficient, thinner (wife thinks Panny looks humongous).
I can't see 3D because there's limited content and I have amblyopeia - far sighted+near sighted (dont see depth really at all)... so no reason to go for anything 3D
I love Plasma and this price point.

What do you all think?
post #346 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittisit View Post

My local BJ's Wholesale has the 50PA6500 for $599. I have a HH Gregg coupon for 11% off and BJ's accepts coupons.
Good price, right?
It's replacing a Panny 50" 1080P TH-50PZ800U set that has died 3 times now (2x lightning, one time it had black magic.)
First time was a $600 repair (covered by AMEX thank the Lord!) Second was $250.
Anyway estimates are its another $300 to fix it, this seems like a better choice.
Consumer Reports does not give LG plasmas great reliability ratings, but they also said Panny was the best. I love Panny - they make most other plasma sets for other manufacturers, but I've had enough!
New set = more energy efficient, thinner (wife thinks Panny looks humongous).
I can't see 3D because there's limited content and I have amblyopeia - far sighted+near sighted (dont see depth really at all)... so no reason to go for anything 3D
I love Plasma and this price point.
What do you all think?

i would just on it. can't beat that deal. i paid $649 and it was for the lower model the 5600 or something like that.
post #347 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

For what it is worth, I think GTA IV looks like crap. You are just seeing all of the problems with it now because you have a better display.

Well crap is a big word, but it has this waterpaint effect to the graphics that sure ain't helping it. Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 look awesome on it.

I am very sad to say though that the green tinge/blob effect is in full force on my set. I noticed it while playing GTA IV, especially when i saw dark grey areas or by simply looking into the sky. It's visible in Skyrim as well and many other games. It's even visible on the Xbox 360 dashboard, really clearly green stuff in the screen that shouldn't be there. It's the same goddamn reasons i returned the Panasonic VT30...and here i go...getting it again on the LG, i can't believe this. But it really is starting to annoy me alot. I think i should call the store and inform them about it.
Edited by Moonwalker1982 - 7/14/12 at 5:10am
post #348 of 1288
I am looking at the 50PA6500 and was wondering how it performs for gaming? I am not a huge gamer but I do like to sit and play Forza 4 or something like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Most of the games I like are racing games which seem like they would be great but the IR and burn in issues worry me.
Almost forgot...This set would be used for everyday viewing which would consist of OTA HD, Roku (mostly netflix), Blu-Ray, and XBox 360....Those last two would not be daily but fairly often, but I am guessing almost daily when we first get it because of it being so much better than the 1080i LCD & Sony Vega CRT that it will be replacing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
post #349 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by podboy3 View Post

I am looking at the 50PA6500 and was wondering how it performs for gaming? I am not a huge gamer but I do like to sit and play Forza 4 or something like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Most of the games I like are racing games which seem like they would be great but the IR and burn in issues worry me.
Almost forgot...This set would be used for everyday viewing which would consist of OTA HD, Roku (mostly netflix), Blu-Ray, and XBox 360....Those last two would not be daily but fairly often, but I am guessing almost daily when we first get it because of it being so much better than the 1080i LCD & Sony Vega CRT that it will be replacing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

I've got the 50PA5500 and I'm very happy with it. It replaced a DLP set and the picture quality is light years beyond the DLP. I use it for everyday viewing/movie viewing and gaming. I've only had it for 2 weeks and gaming has been limited so far to about 5 or 6 hours, but I haven't noticed any issues.

I noticed some IR when running slides immediately after watching the IR inducing content on the 2nd day of ownership. But watching the same content after having about 90 hours (90%+ of the 90 hours was running break-in slides) on the set doesn't appear to produce any noticeable IR, even on slides. I have the orbiter enabled, so I believe that helps.
post #350 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post

i would just on it. can't beat that deal. i paid $649 and it was for the lower model the 5600 or something like that.

I just got the 50PA6500 at my local HH Gregg. Showed them a printout of bjs.com and they matched the price (even though that was for the 5500.)
Apparently their cost is $589 on the 6500, so they weren't too pleased. Posted price was $699, marked down from $850.

So overall I think I did pretty well. I did buy the 5 year service plan because I live in the lightning capital of the US and have lost 2 TVs and paid for 3 repairs out of pocket.
Need a reprieve and $25 a month made sense, considering the deal i got on the TV.

Thanks for your posting of your levels and settings. Very helpful.

I'm going to need to buy a new receiver too, these speakers on this TV get vibration with some actor's voices. (Receiver was taken out by lightning too) - yes i have a UPS surge protector and my CATV is protected too...

No idea what my problem is. (Different house too!)

Oh well. At least TV is protected.

Thanks for the advice and feedback here. Really helps.

PS - picture is great, but still getting some "waves" on solid images - never had that with Panasonic Plasma - but colors are much more vivid with this set.
post #351 of 1288
I was looking for a new TV and am really considering a Plasma. Was recommended this TV. Just to make sure, there is no difference between the 5500 and 6500 correct?

Additionally, is burn-in a worry with this TV or is does a pretty good job at avoiding it (pixel shift and what-not)?

Thanks!
post #352 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post

I was looking for a new TV and am really considering a Plasma. Was recommended this TV. Just to make sure, there is no difference between the 5500 and 6500 correct?

Nothing has indicated there is any difference between the 5500 and 6500 models, aside from the model number. There is some information earlier in this thread that backs this up, and checking the repair parts for the displays shows that the 5500 and 6500 models use the same exact panel replacement part #.
Quote:
Additionally, is burn-in a worry with this TV or is does a pretty good job at avoiding it (pixel shift and what-not)?
Thanks!

No one has really complained about IR, which is better than can be said about threads about other plasma brands. Small sample size with the LG though, and the other threads have far more posters. Also in the past, LG wasn't the best with avoiding IR.
post #353 of 1288
Has anyone tried the Amazon reviewer's color settings?

Select an IRE value i.e. 0 now move down and change the color settings. Go back up and select the next IRE value i.e. 5 then move down and change the color settings. Do this for all the IRE values. Yeah its a long and painful process but worth it.
r=red g=green b=blue.
0 ire r=-5 g=0 c=0
5 ire r=0 g=0 b=0
10 ire r=-16 g=0 b=-36
15 ire r=0 g=0 b=0
20 ire r=-17 g=-13 b=-34
25 ire r=-9 g=0 b=-37
30 ire r=-6 g=9 b=-29
35 ire r=0 g=0 b=-13
40 ire r=9 g=17 b=-25
45 ire r=0 g=0 b=0
50 ire r=-10 g=0 b=-42
55 ire r=-18 g=0 b=-10
60 ire r=15 g=20 b=-37
65 ire r=-18 g=0 b=0
70 ire r=5 g=30 b=-31
75 ire r=-9 g=9 b=-29
80 ire r=-6 g=19 b=-50
85 ire r=0 g=0 b=0
90 ire r=-8 g=16 b=-9
95 ire r=0 g=0 b=0
100ire r=-5 g=0 b=-24


Just wondering if making these changes will make a difference. I love the picture on this TV but the colors just aren't that vivid.
Thanks!
post #354 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by podboy3 View Post

... because of it being so much better than the 1080i LCD & Sony Vega CRT that it will be replacing.

If you game you may want to keep that CRT around for things like the PS2, N64, Wii, Cube, original XBox, etc. That and for watching 4:3 DVD movies and TV shows (through converter box) in the morning and late at night. I'll eventually get a 32" or 40" Sony Vega just for those duties.

ODF,

I found the review but question the validity. IMO setting the Brightness to 60 is too high, 48 - 50 is where you are likely to not get 'black bar noise'. Then set contrast to 90 or 100. I also have to question the choice of 'Just Scan' and 'Edge Enhancement' turned on. (For what it's worth the reviewer has Dynamic Contrast set to 'off' and I find that when set to 'Low' it gives deeper blacks.)
Edited by wallijonn - 7/16/12 at 3:00pm
post #355 of 1288
MW1982,

Why not try a different HDMI cable?, say one with ferrite beads on both ends. How about trying a friend's XB360 with your set? (Maybe it's the XBox).
post #356 of 1288
Been playing GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption today and all the time i saw the green tinge/blob effect on the screen, it even seems its becoming worse and worse. And i don't even have to do anything to really see it, i see it right away and it bothers the crap outta me. I'm going to call the store/dealer tomorrow, tell them all this. And then we'll see what they say. Maybe they will give me a replacement PA6500, if they do...man i hope it doesn't have that horrible green stuff on/in the screen. My set now suffers from the exact same things the Panasonic VT30 suffered from that i bought last year and finally was able to return earlier this year...oh sigh frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

MW1982,
Why not try a different HDMI cable?, say one with ferrite beads on both ends. How about trying a friend's XB360 with your set? (Maybe it's the XBox).

I've tried my PS3 on it as well with Uncharted 3 and it's the exact same story.

Also....

I put several break-in slides on a USB stick...all kinds of whites and greys, blues,greens,etc. I put the USB stick in the tv and i checked the pics and the green stuff can clearly be seen on grey backgrounds. Conclusion can only be that its the tv.
post #357 of 1288
I believe the Panasonic green blobs were being caused by AR coating used in the display. Seems odd that a LG would have the same thing since LG doesn't use the AR coating and the plasma tech is different. Have you tried using the different display modes or adjusting out the green with the sliders? If you lower the brightness does it go away or lesson?
post #358 of 1288
Brought my 6500 home last Friday from BB. My first plasma. Plugged it in and fired it up. Impressive PQ from the get-go. BR flicks are quite vibrant on this screen. Calibration was done according to settings posted on this thread. THANKS for that.

Running components through a Yamaha V373 receiver mated to a Klipsch system. I couldn't be happier.

I do plan to tweak [increase] the color setting a bit, in a few weeks. Will most likely replace all HDMI cables with quality ones in the coming days.
post #359 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

I believe the Panasonic green blobs were being caused by AR coating used in the display. Seems odd that a LG would have the same thing since LG doesn't use the AR coating and the plasma tech is different. Have you tried using the different display modes or adjusting out the green with the sliders? If you lower the brightness does it go away or lesson?

I was just as surprised...unpleasantly surprised that is frown.gif.

With adjusting the green you mean the colour management or do you mean colour temperature? At both i can adjust green numbers. Lowering brightness doesn't help much at all.
I lowered all the settings that had to do with green, and it didn't change a thing. Maybe just this set has the problem, could be if i get another one that it will be ok, i don't know. I got a grey background on display now and it clearly shows green spots on the left side of the screen. This is exactly what i see during GTA IV, RDR and other games when i look into the sky, or when i see dark-grey area..i only have to rotate the camera and its like something is stuck inside the screen, that's kinda how i can explain it.
Edited by Moonwalker1982 - 7/16/12 at 8:02pm
post #360 of 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrtyfrog View Post

Has anyone tried the Amazon reviewer's color settings?
Just wondering if making these changes will make a difference. I love the picture on this TV but the colors just aren't that vivid.
Thanks!

I just made these changes to my Expert 2 mode and made more changes based on other recommendations to Expert 1.I watched TV for 3 hours last night on the "AMAZON" settings and I was very impressed. It took about 15 minutes to put in all the values but so far, I am VERY pleased. You're looking for REALISTIC colors with those settings, and not necessarily VIVID.

Try the settings - what do you have to lose but 15 minutes of your time. If you don't like them try something else -
Biggest thing - TURN OFF energy saver.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › LG 50PA6500 and LG 60PA6500 Plasmas