Originally Posted by thekreator
Hi all, I am still very much considering the N-50 but I am wondering if there are any alternatives I should look at? I am interested in streaming FLAC files from a NAS drive or PC and internet radio. I have seen the Marantz MCR610 but I am not sure that will provide the same audio quality as the N50 - it does however offer Spotify/Last.FM which I don't think is possible with the N50.
So, are there any other pieces of kit worth considering along with the N50/MCR610?
I've had to write the N-50 off my list for a number of reasons. On paper, the product looks to be a good value for the money, but there are problems that have been identified in this forum including:
1. Age of the product (2 years is an eternity, especially with new entries into the market from Sony and others)
2. Some say that it has less than stellar sound through the digital inputs (versus hard drives or networked media)
3. Lack of support for 172.6 kHz.
4. No DSD support (Sony is pushing this hard now, but there is still little content).
To that end, I've been looking at the following products:
1. Emotiva DC-1. The price is right ($499) and reviewers like the sound quality. Downsides are no DSD support and no Airplay.
2. Oppo BDP-105/105D. Expensive ($1199-$1299). The 105D pretty much plays everything available...even DSD 5.6. Support for balanced inputs and outputs. Downsides is that some people don't like the sound quality as much as dedicated DACs and no Airplay.
3. Oppo HA-1. This product isn't shipping yet, so it's pretty academic right now. It's being billed as a true headphone amp but it has the same DAC system as the 105. It has support for balanced headphones as well as inputs/outputs. It should have a better headphone amp than the 105 (Class A power). Downsides are no spinning disc support (important to some people). No official word on price or ship date but a writeup on Audioholics says that Oppo was telling CES patrons to expect in the 2nd quarter of 2014 for a price around $1200.
Now there are plenty of DACs out there...this is hardly a definitive list. I would have thought that Pioneer would have used CES to launch a new product or at least just to tease one but apparently that didn't happen (Oppo didn't use CES to introduce the 105D either).Edited by Sevenfeet - 1/21/14 at 8:36am