or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › New TV Advise - "Cheap" vs "Name Brand"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New TV Advise - "Cheap" vs "Name Brand" - Page 2

post #31 of 69
Quote:


my question is this....is it work the extra 300-500 for a namebrand over other cheap (China?) brands such as Element, Spectre, RCA, etc?

In one word...yes.
post #32 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

I agree. I know people that have used Insignia for years with no problems. I bought one for a relative at Christmas & liked the picture so much, bought one for myself & sold my 3 year old Samsung.

Hmm..this gives me more to think about then..because that would save me quite a bit.

Wish I had a valid comparison of the two to look at... (ie in person but not just in a store where I can't confirm the signals are the same etc)
post #33 of 69
There are always exceptions, but I'm a firm believer that "you get what you pay for."
post #34 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

There are always exceptions, but I'm a firm believer that "you get what you pay for."

I've definitely always stuck to this. True in my business with Vacuum Cleaners. BUT, as you said, always exceptions.

There are Vacuums for 50-100 bucks, are they decent build quality vacuums? No. Do some of them "do the job" Yes.
Then typically if you buy a 400 dollar vacuum, it is going to be a good unit, quality.

But, this doesn't always apply, Dyson for instance, 400-800 bucks..and people think they are the best, but actually they are pieces of junk built in Malaysia. So, you never know.

Still really undecided I'd really not like to spend over 1,000 so been looking at the lower end Sony, some of the LG's posted, etc. I wonder if the prices will drop after the Super Bowl?
post #35 of 69
There are only handful of large LCD panel manufacturers, the choice is probably even smaller when it comes to video chips so pretty much they all have same parts and often enough less known brands have better capabilities than brand names, so using blanket statement like "buy only brand names" is not always best choice. Often enough you pay extra money just for the name. This forum is full of " my 3 yr old Samsung no longer working due to faulty capacitors" etc. etc. so there is no guarantee the name brand will last longer or perform much better. I'm very happy with my Westinghouse I have for last 5 yrs, I never had any problem with my old Syntax during 6-7 yrs of daily use and I'm sure many other people had similar experience, so I would never pick TV or any product just because of brand name. I think it should be more on model to model basis. That's why there are review sites, that's why owner's threads are good to read to learn others experiences. It's smart to be informed consumer and by informed doesn't mean " Oh Sony is best in the world and I won't buy anything else", but at least know exactly why it is best and what others are lacking. I had expensive Sony DVD player that couldn't play PAL, couldn't play AVI, couldn't play anything except standard DVD, things my cheapest Apex had no problem playing at all, I throw away Sony and kept Apex for long time, it still could be somewhere in basement, probably still working perfectly.
But as they say "ignorance is a bliss", if I never bought Apex, I would never know what piece of crap that Sony DVD was. It's DVD, but TV's are similar.
MY 5 yr old Westinghouse accept 1080p, has perfect 444 Chroma and short input delay on PC input, has very good viewing angles: things very few name brands back then could match and many can't today, 5yrs later.
post #36 of 69
Prices will drop after the Superbowl if the inventories are still high but if not the deals become hit and miss and a deal may be gone for good. My advice is buy something from Costco...the return policy and warranty is the best in the business and this is the time year is when Costco gets their hands on some middle to high end displays that didn't sell well last year. They will buy a boat load of em and blow em out, I see it every year. If you have one in your area just do the pop in once a week because what's on the website doesn't always reflect what's in the store.
post #37 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

There are only handful of large LCD panel manufacturers, the choice is probably even smaller when it comes to video chips so pretty much they all have same parts and often enough less known brands have better capabilities than brand names, so using blanket statement like "buy only brand names" is not always best choice. Often enough you pay extra money just for the name. This forum is full of " my 3 yr old Samsung no longer working due to faulty capacitors" etc. etc. so there is no guarantee the name brand will last longer or perform much better. I'm very happy with my Westinghouse I have for last 5 yrs, I never had any problem with my old Syntax during 6-7 yrs of daily use and I'm sure many other people had similar experience, so I would never pick TV or any product just because of brand name. I think it should be more on model to model basis. That's why there are review sites, that's why owner's threads are good to read to learn others experiences. It's smart to be informed consumer and by informed doesn't mean " Oh Sony is best in the world and I won't buy anything else", but at least know exactly why it is best and what others are lacking. I had expensive Sony DVD player that couldn't play PAL, couldn't play AVI, couldn't play anything except standard DVD, things my cheapest Apex had no problem playing at all, I throw away Sony and kept Apex for long time, it still could be somewhere in basement, probably still working perfectly.
But as they say "ignorance is a bliss", if I never bought Apex, I would never know what piece of crap that Sony DVD was. It's DVD, but TV's are similar.
MY 5 yr old Westinghouse accept 1080p, has perfect 444 Chroma and short input delay on PC input, has very good viewing angles: things very few name brands back then could match and many can't today, 5yrs later.

See, that's the kind of information I like to hear. I mean it's easy to sit there and say that only Sony, Samsung, etc are good and any "store" or "cheap" brand should be avoided, but I like to hear actual experiences. Many times those cheap brands can do the exact thing or more..and look mostly the same (by most standards?). I like to hear personal experienes. Also everyone's tastes are different..one person may notice a difference in set a and set b's picture while another might say it looks the same.

So...good to hear stuff like that. Westinghouse is a really cheap one out there, but as always there are tons of reviews that lead you both ways. You get some 1's and 5's ratings but then it's hard to weigh. Guess it's gonna take a lot of research if I really want to be 100% sure before I buy. Or as you said use Costco, and if it stinks I can return it. I do have a Costco here but never been in there before...will have to check it out..but you have to pay to get in if I recall.

There's a nice 60" Westinghouse for under 1000 at walmat. Has about 85% 5 star reviews..then only a few 1 star...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Westinghou...6025Z/17129224

Gonna have to check into that one as well.
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

lol ... I laugh cause the BB Insignia is crap n so is Dynex IMO. I have never seen a good store brand tv, ever. To me their quality is sub par at best. I go for quality before anything else which is why I dont mind spending more to get what I feel is a better product.
If your on a budget, I guess you could get one but there r even some name brands that you can get cheap and have better quality than BB models.

That is pretty exaggerated. Both my friend and I have had both an insignia and Dynex, both of which lasted for years. Most are the components are made from brands like LG. They are fine TV's for someone on a budget.
post #39 of 69
If you are not particular about a certain model and have a Costco in your area there is no reason not to buy your display there...and it doesn't cost anything to look around. You get an extra year of warranty just for purchasing there, another year if you use an Amex card and an extended warranty for 99.00 if you choose to do so. The pricing is usually as good as anywhere, if not better and between now and the end of February you will almost certainly find a deal on something you like that will easily save you the cost of membership.
post #40 of 69
Thread Starter 
Greg and Topr, thanks for the info.

I will definitely check out Cosco and see what they have this weekend. Still researching trying to decide LCD or Plasma.

Anyone have any experisnce with this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+60%...&skuId=4538624

Definitely considering this...good pu..60" and get for less than 900. That's on my radar..still want to check Costco though.
post #41 of 69
+1 on Costco. Great place to buy unless you're looking for a really high end TV.
post #42 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

+1 on Costco. Great place to buy unless you're looking for a really high end TV.

Checked out their online stuff, and they don't have anything to match that 60" LG for 899 at BB. Might be worth going IN the store as I know everything isn't accurate online or current.

But I am really leaning toward the LG 60" Plasma I linked above. Hoping someone else can share stories of that model or LG in general.

Theyalso have a 60" Panasonic Viera Plasma for the same price..trying to decide.can anyone help?

This: TC-P60S30
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...=249294&loc=01

or

This: LG60PV250
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+60%...=1218480987326
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

I agree. I know people that have used Insignia for years with no problems. I bought one for a relative at Christmas & liked the picture so much, bought one for myself & sold my 3 year old Samsung.

While I've seen some Insignia and Dynex sets that looked good (a few, even great), the problem with these brands is that each model may be assembled by a different manufacturer so seeing one model that looked good is not indicative of another model sold under the "Dynex" or "Insignia" name. Off the top of my head, assemblers for BB brand sets include, but are likely not limited to, Hon Hai (Foxconn), Prima, Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic Company (XOCECO), and Hisense. As far as the panels and guts, many of them likely come from major mfgs like AUO, LGE, S-LCD, etc. but who really knows. What I say is, it isn't 2006-2008 any more where buying a name brand set is extremely cost prohibitive. The cost of entry-level models from tier 1 manufacturers like Sony, LG, Sharp, et al is such a minimal jump in price over hard-to-trace brands with questionable reliability like Westinghouse, RCA, etc. that it really does not seem worth it to save a couple hundred dollars.
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

While I've seen some Insignia and Dynex sets that looked good (a few, even great), the problem with these brands is that each model may be assembled by a different manufacturer. . . .

I agree, but for the great price & standard 2 year warranty, it's worth taking the chance to me.
post #45 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

I agree, but for the great price & standard 2 year warranty, it's worth taking the chance to me.

Is it worth the chance over a Panasonic/LG brand listed above that's only 899 on sale right now?

One of those is a today only thing..trying to decide shortly here so I can make a purchase.

Seems people say LG have great pictures...but so do Viera's (I've read)..the Viera has more inputs and it and a USB.

Someone make my decision for me :P lol
post #46 of 69
If you're fine with a plasma, the 60" Panasonic S30 is a steal at 899. It's definitely not the best looking plasma out there, but for under a thousand, you can't really complain. I've never seen that particular LG in person, but seeing their flagship PZ950 left a lot to be desired and the blacks are worse than a lot of LCDs. Plasma is not LG's niche.
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyears1978 View Post

Is it worth the chance over a Panasonic/LG brand listed above that's only 899 on sale right now?

One of those is a today only thing..trying to decide shortly here so I can make a purchase.

Seems people say LG have great pictures...but so do Viera's (I've read)..the Viera has more inputs and it and a USB.

Someone make my decision for me :P lol

Have you asked these questions on the plaasma forum since it's pretty apparent you're leaning that way.

And, Consumer Reports ranks Panasonic (not LG or Samsung) as making the best plasma TVs.
post #48 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Have you asked these questions on the plaasma forum since it's pretty apparent you're leaning that way.

And, Consumer Reports ranks Panasonic (not LG or Samsung) as making the best plasma TVs.

Whoops...didn't dawn on me I was in the LCD forum and now leaning to Plasma.

I've never had a Plasma so I really don't know the big differences in Plasma vs LCD.

I hear Plasma have no backlight problems (flashlighting) etc...and then I hear about burn-in. But I don't intend to play my games on my Plasma as I think I will move my consoles out of the living room with my 40" Bravia..which will work just fine.

So it sounds like this Panasonic might be a good bet.
post #49 of 69
I think I'd personally buy the Panny 99 times out of a 100 over that LG. But I'm also a Plasma guy . . .
post #50 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I think I'd personally buy the Panny 99 times out of a 100 over that LG. But I'm also a Plasma guy . . .

They're both Plasma's but yeah I'm reading that Panasonic makes good Plasma's.

Think that might be what I go with.
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyears1978 View Post

They're both Plasma's but yeah I'm reading that Panasonic makes good Plasma's.

Think that might be what I go with.

Right, but I was referring to the comments about this being in the LCD forum

Good luck with the hunt!
post #52 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Right, but I was referring to the comments about this being in the LCD forum

Good luck with the hunt!

Oh Lol, I am slow Thanks for the help. I went ahead and purchased that set online for local store pickup, just waiting on confirmation that the set is actually there (sometimes stock is off, you know how it is..especially since this is a special deal and doesn't even show up on the website except when linked through somewhere else..)

So I hope they have it.
post #53 of 69
Plasmas while they can get burn-ins, they dont happen as often as they once did. But they can however get a stuck image(probably not the correct term) which can be usually fixed with the tv settings screen burn-in protection. Burn-ins are usually permanant and cannot be fixed. Just like a dead and stuck pixel, there r burn-ins and stuck images. One can be fixed the other cannot.
post #54 of 69
Panansonic make the best Plasmas, its not a secret. Before them it was all Pioneer.
post #55 of 69
Amazing just how many uneducated consumers still look for brand names from 20-30 years ago that in reality, don't exist anymore, except in naming rights.
And how many shop only for price no matter what the name is, or isn't then find when something goes wrong, they are left holding the bag.
post #56 of 69
We have a 42" Vizio in the our loft, a 40" Dynex in my "game/man room" and a 61" LG in our Great room. All are hooked to a 4tb server with our movies and music,

To be honest the 40" Dynex 720p provides a very good picture and has served my purposes. Everyone gets caught up on certain stats, etc. But the fact is these are all great tv's compared to what we had 20 years. I havent heard my kids once say the picture is terrible on any of the TV's. Get what your budget will afford and not what the Joneses have. Just a note: From 10ft you can't tell/notice the difference between 720 and 1080.

We will have a house full watching all them Sunday - and I doubt I have a single issue with quality.
post #57 of 69
Thread Starter 
Well I bought the 60S30 and out of the box I really love it. At this point still trying to figure out what I need to do properly to get the TV "worn in" or whatever you call it. Also I notice up close there is a weird pixel effect...maybe what is called "Screen door" ? From 6 feet or so away or more, you can't see it and it looks amazing, but just curious what that is, and if it is normal? Ahh I should probably take this to my Plasma topic but not many replying over there..much better response here :P

I have not calibrated anything yet as I heard to run it at 50/50 ratios for awhile to burn it in etc.
post #58 of 69
Glad you got a tv. Hope you like it but mot of all just ENJOY it. Dont get caught up in all the bs that ppl love to talk about. You should be fine with the PQ, just remember your not meant to get real close to a tv. All tvs have some imperfections if you look close enough, as I said just ENOJY it.
post #59 of 69
Just as someone said in here that they'll never own a Plasma ill never own a crap tv like Vizio, BBs crap versions, RCA, Sylvania, Magnovox and a handfull of others. IMO there crap cause Ive seen them break fairly easily n quickly and their PQ isnt great to me.
Ive owned Toshiba, Sony n Samsung. None have ever failed on me. Ive even owned a Samsung from when they had capacitor issues with certain models and mine didnt have a single issue. Maybe ive just been lucky but all of my name brands have been doing great for me. Ive used several off brands when I was younger and none of them ever lasted very long. My last one was a Protron. I was young and didnt know any better.

The mian thing really is, as long as your happy with your tv, who cares what anyone else thinks. Afterall your the one who has to live with it. ENJOY YOUR TV.
post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyears1978 View Post

Well I bought the 60S30 and out of the box I really love it. At this point still trying to figure out what I need to do properly to get the TV "worn in" or whatever you call it. Also I notice up close there is a weird pixel effect...maybe what is called "Screen door" ? From 6 feet or so away or more, you can't see it and it looks amazing, but just curious what that is, and if it is normal? Ahh I should probably take this to my Plasma topic but not many replying over there..much better response here :P

I have not calibrated anything yet as I heard to run it at 50/50 ratios for awhile to burn it in etc.


You'll need to get closer, from ~2ft or so, then wave your hand in front of your eyes real fast, & report back. See if you see any dancing pixels or other strange behavior first, before you'll know whether to return it & spend more money.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › New TV Advise - "Cheap" vs "Name Brand"