or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official unRAID Thread - Page 24

post #691 of 744
I am still in the process of configuring my first unraid server and am having a few headaches and learning pains. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to preclear my 2 3tb drives I would like to put in the array. I followed the online guide and my server for some reason keeps locking up after about 8hrs of preclearing. Sense im pulling my hair out over this I would like to use my htpc windows 7 computer to preclear the drives... I just dont know how and am looking for some guidance. -Thanks cool.gif
Edited by kweisen - 8/19/13 at 8:37am
post #692 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

I am still in the process of configuring my first unraid server and am having a few headaches and learning pains. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to preclear my 2 3tb drives I would like to put in the array. I followed the online guide and my server for some reason keeps locking up after about 8hrs of preclearing. Sense im pulling my hair out over this I would like to use my htpc windows 7 computer to preclear the drives... I just dont know how and am looking for some guidance. -Thanks:cool:

You might want to find out why the preclear is causing you trouble. Are you running the most recent version of preclear_disk? Try clearing one at a time, and if no change I would run memtest86 for 24 hours and look at the results.

If you want to use a different computer to preclear, that's no problem. I have a dedicated preclear machine and it's great. It has no disks installed unless a preclear is in progress. Just build another USB flash drive with the basic version of unRAID, and set your BIOS to boot from the flash drive. It will function like any other unRAID server after bootup. Meaning web gui, Putty access, etc.
post #693 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.lebowski View Post

You might want to find out why the preclear is causing you trouble. Are you running the most recent version of preclear_disk? Try clearing one at a time, and if no change I would run memtest86 for 24 hours and look at the results.

If you want to use a different computer to preclear, that's no problem. I have a dedicated preclear machine and it's great. It has no disks installed unless a preclear is in progress. Just build another USB flash drive with the basic version of unRAID, and set your BIOS to boot from the flash drive. It will function like any other unRAID server after bootup. Meaning web gui, Putty access, etc.

Thanks for the advice I will have to look into setting it up. That would probably be beneficial down the line as well considering I could by accident preclear a drive with data on it
post #694 of 744
Alright I was able to preclear one drive but for some other reason unraid isint recognizing that there is another drive attached via sata. I plugged it into my computer to check and its not recognizing it either. (edit* I realized that windows 7 may not recognize a drive size of 3tb before its partitioned if this is true how can I test if the drive isint working?) Does this mean its DOA? *EDIT turned out to be DOA
Edited by kweisen - 8/29/13 at 10:12am
post #695 of 744
unRAID 5 is out: rejoice! I never thought I'd see the day... smile.gif
post #696 of 744
holy smokes. i wasn't expecting to see that anytime soon.
post #697 of 744
I just updated to the latest release 5.0. Everything seems to be working just fine. I'm ripping and transferring a few movies. Thereafter, I will do a parity check.
post #698 of 744
I knew I should have checked the site last night. I guess I'll upgrade my unRAID setups this weekend.
post #699 of 744
So I have my unraid box fully up and running with about 5tb of media so far on it and before I transfer anymore I would like to get xbmc configured. What ways are people accessing all of their media on unraid? It appears a lot of people are using mysql but im completely new and dont even know what that is. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I only have one htpc for the foreseeable future if that helps smile.gif
post #700 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

So I have my unraid box fully up and running with about 5tb of media so far on it and before I transfer anymore I would like to get xbmc configured. What ways are people accessing all of their media on unraid? It appears a lot of people are using mysql but im completely new and dont even know what that is. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I only have one htpc for the foreseeable future if that helps smile.gif

For most users, XBMC is installed on the client (your HTPC, in this case) not on the server. XBMC can be seen as a middle man between your tv and your content. It manages fanart, episodes, watched or unwatched. All that stuff.

Visit http://www.themoviedb.org/ and http://thetvdb.com/ before you install XBMC. Adjust your folder names for tv and confirm the release year on films. Battlestar Galactica (2003), Da Ali G Show (US), Castle (2009), all make a difference. For tv, make sure special episodes like making of are named correctly. the.office.s00e02.webisodes.kevin's.bank.loan.mkv is one example. I believe this was a season five release, but it won't scrape when it's named the.office.s05e00.webisodes.kevin's.bank.loan.mkv.

Spend some time getting things prepared before installing XBMC.
post #701 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.lebowski View Post

For most users, XBMC is installed on the client (your HTPC, in this case) not on the server. XBMC can be seen as a middle man between your tv and your content. It manages fanart, episodes, watched or unwatched. All that stuff.

Visit http://www.themoviedb.org/ and http://thetvdb.com/ before you install XBMC. Adjust your folder names for tv and confirm the release year on films. Battlestar Galactica (2003), Da Ali G Show (US), Castle (2009), all make a difference. For tv, make sure special episodes like making of are named correctly. the.office.s00e02.webisodes.kevin's.bank.loan.mkv is one example. I believe this was a season five release, but it won't scrape when it's named the.office.s05e00.webisodes.kevin's.bank.loan.mkv.

Spend some time getting things prepared before installing XBMC.

Sorry I must have not given enough information I apologize. I already have a great htpc that has been set up with xbmc for a while. My question is now that I have moved all of my media content to the unraid server how can I make xbmc and unraid talk to each other and automatically update? -thanks
post #702 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

Sorry I must have not given enough information I apologize. I already have a great htpc that has been set up with xbmc for a while. My question is now that I have moved all of my media content to the unraid server how can I make xbmc and unraid talk to each other and automatically update? -thanks

That's okay.

What kind of updates are you wanting to achieve?
post #703 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.lebowski View Post

That's okay.

What kind of updates are you wanting to achieve?

I just want my library to realize when new media content is downloaded. Hopefully the scrapers will then be able to identify it and automatically download meta data and fan art.
post #704 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

I just want my library to realize when new media content is downloaded. Hopefully the scrapers will then be able to identify it and automatically download meta data and fan art.

Ah, I believe there is an add-on that will update the library every so often.

Yes: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Library_Auto_Update
post #705 of 744
You need to let XBMC know where your shares (movies and TV shows) are located it. Thereafter, run the scrapper.
post #706 of 744
Can anyone list out their current unRAID specs? What would be a good current spec for building a new system? I'm most likely going to have a need to transcode using Plex or something similar. Would I want to build an unRAID box solely for storing the content or storing and transcoding? I would assuming I would use unRAID solely as a NAS and storing media and using another device to perform the transcoding..
post #707 of 744
Transcoding uses a lot of CPU power. So, I would suggest getting a fast and powerful CPU if you want to stream and transcode to multiple devices. I've got an old AMD dual core CPU. I can stream DVD's movies to two iPad without any issues, but when I play BD movies, I can only stream to one. I rarely transcode to the iPads so CPU power wasn't an issue for me.
post #708 of 744
I'm assuming that I can make sure the media is already transcoded to a format (H.264) the device accepts. Then I wouldn't need to worry about transcoding.
post #709 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

I'm assuming that I can make sure the media is already transcoded to a format (H.264) the device accepts. Then I wouldn't need to worry about transcoding.

You can do that. FYI it will be time consuming too!
post #710 of 744
I'm definitely considering using unRAID or FlexRaid. More so unRAID. What I'm now trying to decide is if I want to use it to just store my content or act as a media server and storage system. The problem with using it for both is that Ill be giving up my good spare parts because I'd want to have a strong enough box to transcode HD. As a result I'd have to buy another powerful box to rip my discs. If I use it just for storage I can use some less powerful spare parts or buy a cheap system and still keep my powerful Win 7 box for ripping and transcoding, also used it as a Plex server. Any thoughts?
post #711 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

I'm definitely considering using unRAID or FlexRaid. More so unRAID. What I'm now trying to decide is if I want to use it to just store my content or act as a media server and storage system. The problem with using it for both is that Ill be giving up my good spare parts because I'd want to have a strong enough box to transcode HD. As a result I'd have to buy another powerful box to rip my discs. If I use it just for storage I can use some less powerful spare parts or buy a cheap system and still keep my powerful Win 7 box for ripping and transcoding, also used it as a Plex server. Any thoughts?

how many drives can u put in the windows 7 box? i ask because if u already have a windows box, flexraid might be the way to go in order for u not to have to buy up more crap just to make an unraid box?...
post #712 of 744
I'm going to be getting a new Antec case that has roughly 8 useable bays but initially ill probably start off with 2x3tb drives. I have smaller hard drives I can repurpose as the hd OS if I go with Flex. I'm slightly hesitant on both because they seen like one man shops.
post #713 of 744
I found my old 1 TB Win 7 HDD, so I precleared it, and installed it as a cached drive to be used strictly for Plex Media Server, which I just finished installing a few minutes ago. All my movies and TV shows have been scrapped, and I can stream movies to the iPads / iPhones.

Before I had to have my Win 7 PC on to use Plex. So far it works perfect. I can access the movies within and outside my network, but the quality will vary depending on the Internet speed.
post #714 of 744
Wanted to revisit this thread.

I've been debating for awhile on what to do with my other Supermicro server since its not currently being used as my primary one is running WS2012E with no issues. I still have my unRAID Plus license that I have on the USB stick, and now am considering going ahead and upgrading to the Pro license to utilize all 24 drive bays. In recent tests with the SM server it works perfectly and had no problem recognizing the AOC-MV8 controller cards. Best thing I like about unRAID is that I rarely, if ever have to reboot the system.

What's the latest stable version of unRAID? The last version I have is 5.0-rc12 which has ran fine for quite sometime. I'm thinking of using the second server for archiving media storage, and media not actively in use.
post #715 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2048b View Post

how many drives can u put in the windows 7 box? i ask because if u already have a windows box, flexraid might be the way to go in order for u not to have to buy up more crap just to make an unraid box?...

I had thirty one drives attached to my Windows Home Server several years ago. But I switched those drives to unRAID since the Windows server basically cut your storage in half by keeping two copies of every file. At least with duplication turned on.

EDIT: Crap. I didn't realize the post I responded to was so old. redface.gif
post #716 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Wanted to revisit this thread.

I've been debating for awhile on what to do with my other Supermicro server since its not currently being used as my primary one is running WS2012E with no issues. I still have my unRAID Plus license that I have on the USB stick, and now am considering going ahead and upgrading to the Pro license to utilize all 24 drive bays. In recent tests with the SM server it works perfectly and had no problem recognizing the AOC-MV8 controller cards. Best thing I like about unRAID is that I rarely, if ever have to reboot the system.

What's the latest stable version of unRAID? The last version I have is 5.0-rc12 which has ran fine for quite sometime. I'm thinking of using the second server for archiving media storage, and media not actively in use.

I know they had several updates near the end of last year. I've been running v5 final for a while and haven't gotten around to installing the new version. Maybe I'll fire up my test rig to check out the new version.
post #717 of 744
I have my unraid server tucked away in a storage room and had to have my router switched out with a new one. This changed all the IP addresses and now I dont know what the IP address is anymore and cant access the tower/main frown.gif Is there anyway I can figure out what the ip address is so I can access the tower/main page? I can access it through my shared network devices still on my windows HTPC but just cant type the IP address in my browser because I dont know it. Any suggestions so I dont have to lug it out and plug it into a tv (no monitors)? Thanks guys
post #718 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

I have my unraid server tucked away in a storage room and had to have my router switched out with a new one. This changed all the IP addresses and now I dont know what the IP address is anymore and cant access the tower/main frown.gif Is there anyway I can figure out what the ip address is so I can access the tower/main page? I can access it through my shared network devices still on my windows HTPC but just cant type the IP address in my browser because I dont know it. Any suggestions so I dont have to lug it out and plug it into a tv (no monitors)? Thanks guys

You'll need to connect the USB drive to your PC, then go to flash/config/network.cfg

The IP address will be listed.
post #719 of 744
thanks for the response. So I need to connect the unraid to my computer through usb?
post #720 of 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

thanks for the response. So I need to connect the unraid to my computer through usb?

Not exactly. Power down the unRAID server anyway you can (likely just a hold of the power button), then remove the USB drive from wherever it's plugged into your server, then plug that USB drive into your computer and read the contents as you would any other USB drive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home