or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Corel WinDVD11 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corel WinDVD11 thread - Page 2

post #31 of 69
Hi Cybrsage,

We tried to reproduce your issue and were not able to.
Here is what we did:
(1) Connect PC to a receiver via the HDMI cable.
(2) Connect the receiver to 7.1 speakers and HDTV (HDMI)
(3) Configure the PC to output 7.1 channel
>> Right click on the speaker system tray icon
>> Playback devices
>> Configure
>> choose 7.1 channel
(4) Run WinDVD and set to 8 speakers to play
>> Tools -> Enhancement -> LPCM out
(5) Play any Blu-ray disc
(6) Confirm there are audio on all 7.1 channels
(7) Stop the movie and quit WinDVD
(8) Reboot the PC and play the Blu-ray disc again
(9) Confirm that we could still hear audio on all channels!!

As far as I could tell, Step (3) might be the step that is missing from your set up? Do you mind to try it again and explicitly set the 7.1 channels on the system as well?


Sincerely yours,
Ted S.
sMedio Software Team
post #32 of 69
Your post lead me to do a lot more testing and I found the exact set of events which cause it to happen (my PC is set to 7.1 output, so that is not the cause):

1. Play a BluRay in WinDVD 11, see that it is set to 8 Channels
2. Stop the BluRay but do NOT close WinDVD 11..
3. Connect to the PC which has WinDVD 11 on it via Remote Desktop
4. Receive the error saying it WinDVD 11 cannot be run over a remote desktop session, which closes WinDVD 11.
5. Reboot the PC upon which WinDVD 11 is installed.
6. Play a BluRay in WinDVD 11, see that it is set to only 2 Channels.

If WinDVD 11 is closed prior to the Remote Desktop session being established, it keeps the 8 Channels info. If it is left open when the Remote Desktop session is established, it closes via the previously mentioned error and resets the number of Channels to 2.

I use Remote Desktop a lot to that PC to do maintenance, etc., on it, which is why I thought it was caused by the reboot. I now see it is caused by the specific set of events I mentioned.
post #33 of 69
Hi Cybrage,

Many thanks for your time and testing.

One possibility is that when you establish a remote desktop session, the original Digital Output audio device (where the 8.1 channel is set) also gets switched. sMedio WinDVD receives an audio device change event and adjusts to the audio setting. In this case, it is possible that the 8.1 channel is not available for the "newly switched" audio device. Thus, the channel setting is default back to 2 channels and got saved and carried over when WinDVD exits. (Please also note that WinDVD can't run on remote desktop is expected behavior due to requirements from AACS and Blu-ray Association.)


Hopefully this answers your question and concerns.

Sincerely yours,
Ted. S
sMedio Software Team
post #34 of 69
Thank you for your testing which showed me it was not the reboot. I suspect you are correct about why it reverts to 2 channel - my remote desktop source PC only have 5.1. When done with the remote desktop, I reboot the remote machine (the one with WinDVD on it), which is why I assumed it was the reboot. Problem solved!
post #35 of 69
Hi Cybrsage,

I am glad to hear that problem is solved! Let me know if there is any thing I could help!


Sincerely yours,
Ted S.
sMedio Software Team
post #36 of 69
What is the difference between Corel WinDvd Pro 11 and the sMedio version? What are the specific enhancements done by sMedio over the Corel version?
It seems you added Win 8 support. Is Corel still developing WinDvd ? I can see new titles not working without Cinavia support.
post #37 of 69
Hi rickcfer,

Two major Improvements we made are:
(1) adding Windows 8 support
(2) adding compatibility to more graphics cards

This version is simply the first collaboration between Corel and sMedio to quickly bring WinDVD Pro 11 to the market for Windows 8 users.

As for whether Corel is still developing WinDVD, I apologize that I am not in a position to comment it. However, sMedio for sure will continue to invest and develop WinDVD going forward.

Cinavia is supported in WinDVD Pro 11. Can you elaborate more on the problem you have encountered?


Sincerely yours,
Ted S.
sMedio Software Team
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sMedio View Post

Hi rickcfer,

Two major Improvements we made are:
(1) adding Windows 8 support
(2) adding compatibility to more graphics cards

This version is simply the first collaboration between Corel and sMedio to quickly bring WinDVD Pro 11 to the market for Windows 8 users.

As for whether Corel is still developing WinDVD, I apologize that I am not in a position to comment it. However, sMedio for sure will continue to invest and develop WinDVD going forward.

Cinavia is supported in WinDVD Pro 11. Can you elaborate more on the problem you have encountered?


Sincerely yours,
Ted S.
sMedio Software Team


Sorry for the late reply, I was in Texas. I haven't tried your version as yet. I currently use TMT 5 but considering the problems of boot time and Nvidia card support for the latest TMT 6 ,I am most certainly going to give it try.
Glad to hear it supports the newer protection schemes.
post #39 of 69
I would switch to sMedio WinDVD, but unfortunately it can't play blu-ray from folder. Will blu-ray folders support be added in future versions? PowerDVD and TMT already have it...
post #40 of 69
Does your version of WinDVD 11 come with some kind of plugin for Windows Media Center?
post #41 of 69
Thread Starter 
Hi, sMedio,

What is SMedio company?

I cannot see the same link you gave on official Corel site; they don't match at all?

What is similar is just the price > 49,99.

Is this the new company which is going to buy WinDVD from Corel this time?

As far as I remember, Corel bought WinDVD from Intervideo in 2006.

Is it your turn?

EDIT: For my Corel WinDVD 11 Pro, "no update is available."

Let's take a look at the version I have; it is interesting, it says, "for Corel":




_ _ _ _ __
Edited by ricabullah - 3/10/13 at 3:57pm
post #42 of 69
I see the 11.5 update is available:

An important update is available for WinDVD 11 Pro which improves title compatibility and Microsoft Windows 8 support.

http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=800161&ppid=3500025

Just installed it. Hoping it still works.
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sMedio View Post

Cinavia is supported in WinDVD Pro 11. Can you elaborate more on the problem you have encountered?


Sincerely yours,
Ted S.
sMedio Software Team

Cinavia is only supported in 11.5 upwards. 11.0 (at least the Corel version) does not support it.
post #44 of 69
Seems to be working ok after the upgrade. :-)
post #45 of 69
Thread Starter 
Yes, 11.5 is the Service Pack 2 for WinDVD Pro !!.

I met this patch by chance yesterday.

Corel's official site says:
Quote:
WinDVD 11 Pro Service Pack 2
Notes:

An important update is available for WinDVD 11 Pro which improves title compatibility and Microsoft Windows 8 support.

It is highly recommended that you download this update immediately. You must exit out of the application before you start the installation of the update so that it can successfully complete.

Upon completion the application language will become English, please be aware of this before you apply this patch. If you have already installed Service Pack 2, you don't need to download it again.



Released:
2013-05-17 [{quote]
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Yes, 11.5 is the Service Pack 2 for WinDVD Pro !!.

I met this patch by chance yesterday.

Corel's official site says:
Quote:
WinDVD 11 Pro Service Pack 2
Notes:

An important update is available for WinDVD 11 Pro which improves title compatibility and Microsoft Windows 8 support.

It is highly recommended that you download this update immediately. You must exit out of the application before you start the installation of the update so that it can successfully complete.

Upon completion the application language will become English, please be aware of this before you apply this patch. If you have already installed Service Pack 2, you don't need to download it again.



Released:
2013-05-17

If you upgrade you will be hit with Cinavia and AnyDVD HD cannot help you with it.
post #47 of 69
Just an additional note post the 11.5 upgrade. On my system, ATI 4670, Realtek ALC889 audio we watched Lord of the rings Fellowship last night and the playback was flawless.

Seems like a good product :-)
post #48 of 69
Is anyone having issues with Sony 3D blu-rays on WinDVD? Previously everything worked flawlessly, but just now I tried to watch Green Hornet, and there's severe corruption in the images in one eye (it's not consistent. Some discs it's the right eye, some discs it's the left.) I've checked Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and The Amazing Spider-Man, and they both have the same issue. All of my non-Sony 3D discs work fine, however (I checked Dredd and The Avengers, and they're both pristine). Just to be sure that something didn't somehow damage my discs, I checked Spider-Man on PowerDVD, and it plays fine, so I'm left thinking it has something to with the Service Pack 2 update for WinDVD, but uninstalling and re-installing with an old setup that I had still has the same issues. The corruption is almost like what you get when trying to play back a 3D blu-ray on hardware that doesn't support MVC decoding. I've also checked on sMedio's WinDVD 11, and I'm getting the same issue.

It's really frustrating, since I've never previously had issues with these discs (at least not Spider-Man and Cloudy, this was the first time I'd tried watching Green Hornet) on WinDVD, which I've been using since October of last year, and I'm not sure how to completely wipe out whatever it was that the 11.5 update did.

System Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit 8GB RAM
AMD Radeon 6970 2GB on most up to date drivers
AMD Phenom II X6, 3300 MHz
40 inch Samsung Series 7 3DTV

[edit] Okay, it's not just Sony discs. Just popped in Coraline, and it's having the same problem. Now I'm kind of angry.

[edit the last] I seem to have figured it out. It's a driver issue of some sort. Doing a full driver wipe and rolling back to the 12.8 Catalyst drivers has fixed it. I'd have to do much more investigation than I feel like to figure out when exactly it got broken. Very strange that it only seemed to effect specific discs, and only on WinDVD.
Edited by Fafhrd - 8/6/13 at 3:49am
post #49 of 69
What are differences between Corel and sMedio versions of WinDVD 11.5? Why both companies continue to sell its own versions (with own logo)?
post #50 of 69
I updated my Corel 11.0 to 11.5. It still shows the Corel logo and says Corel in it, but the update moved the install from the Corel folder and into a newly created sMedio folder. I would say there is no difference at all.

That said, I have a problem now that I upgraded to 11.5. When I launch an ISO (either directly by double clicking it or opening it with Media Browser) with WinDVD 11.5 not open yet, WinDVD 11.5 launches automatically as expected. The problem is that it then says "Eject" in the upper left hand corner and does not play the movie. If I already have WinDVD 11.5 open when I do this it automatically starts playing the movie. Anyone know how to force WinDVD 11.5 to start playing the movie automatically when it is launched? I will have to move back to WinDVD 11 if this cannot be fixed.



EDIT: I rolled back to WinDVD 11 (pre Service Pack) and now everything works as it should again.
Edited by cybrsage - 8/25/13 at 12:07pm
post #51 of 69
Among all software players which have full Blu-ray menu and BD3D support (ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Corel/sMedio WinDVD and Nero Blu-ray Player) WinDVD is the only player that doesn't support BDMV folders. Why? Why sMedio continue not supporting BDMV folders?
post #52 of 69
New WinDVD 11.6 Pro (WinDVD 11 Pro SP3) has been released.
post #53 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

Among all software players which have full Blu-ray menu and BD3D support (ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Corel/sMedio WinDVD and Nero Blu-ray Player) WinDVD is the only player that doesn't support BDMV folders. Why? Why sMedio continue not supporting BDMV folders?

Why should it have BDMV folder support? Why? Why sMedio should support BDMV folders?
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Why should it have BDMV folder support? Why? Why sMedio should support BDMV folders?
1. Why not?
2. WinDVD Pro is still the only software player (AACS licensed) that doesn't support BDMV folders.
3. Corel has (had) already a version of WinDVD that DOES support BDMV folders. http://apps.corel.com/lp/windvd/00926/
post #55 of 69
Why not is a bad reason.

You should just buy a different player if it is important to you.
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Why not is a bad reason.

You should just buy a different player if it is important to you.
"Why not" is an excellent reason when all other software players DO that.
Yes, many users prefer another players: WinDVD lost its popularity.

P.S. I use WinDVD for BD3D ISO only.
post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

"Why not" is an excellent reason when all other software players DO that.
Yes, many users prefer another players: WinDVD lost its popularity.

P.S. I use WinDVD for BD3D ISO only.

If "why not" is a good reason, then "because" is a good answer. So, the answer is because.
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

New WinDVD 11.6 Pro (WinDVD 11 Pro SP3) has been released.

As a note, if people are using Slysoft's AnyDVD to bypass the need to use a physical disc in the countries where it is legal to do so, their current version does not block Cinavia detection in 11.6
post #59 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

If "why not" is a good reason, then "because" is a good answer. So, the answer is because.

I think Corel considers the same. smile.gif

BTW Corel released v11.6, but sMedio didn't.
post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

I think Corel considers the same. smile.gif

BTW Corel released v11.6, but sMedio didn't.

I do not really understand the relationship the two companies have - they both release and sell the same program...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Corel WinDVD11 thread