Originally Posted by GCS
All 5 units act the same. The cord is almost as hot as the power brick itself. Only one of them has had the the actual wall plug melt the plastic. The power connector at the frame and the frame and LEDs themselves are all fine.
We can't have them on for more than about 15 mins before they seem to get so hot its unbearable.
Seems to me that everything should be just fine with your wiring configuration.
When you say all 5 PSs are acting the same (power plug overheating at the wall connection)? To me this sounds like a wiring or "under-design" issue with the power plug feeding the power supply brick. If anything is getting warm it should be only the brick itself. If the wall plug is getting hot it likely contains a high resistance connection inside of the molded plug (or possibly the wire it self is extremely undersized).
Again all 3 of my supplies run slightly warm to very warm , but NONE of them are to the point of causing burns, or worrying me as a hazard, or melting plastic.
I think you should get a different (brand) of 5 amp supply and do a comparison test.
The following is the description of the one that I bought that runs the coolest (If you PM me your email address - I will send you a photo, as my photo-bucket account is temporarily broken). Keep in mind this one is an an aluminum case, is slightly larger than the plastic bricks (however; no reason it couldn't be painted a matte black). Bought it on ebay, was shipped from:
12 volt DC 60watt Waterproof LED Driver transformer
Hope this helps!
Bought mine from: