or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › D-cinema Equipment and Theaters › Is The "First" Star Wars Coverted to 3D Worth Seeing in 3D Theater?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is The "First" Star Wars Coverted to 3D Worth Seeing in 3D Theater?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Please advise. Thanks.
post #2 of 10
Steve I saw the trailer for this and was surprised it looked pretty good for being converted from 3D. My votes says it will be worth seeing.

Have fun.
post #3 of 10
I saw it in 3D on Friday. Whether or not it's worth your while depends on how you feel about PHANTOM MENACE in general.

I said in another thread that the 3D quality reminded me a lot of TRON: LEGACY. Which is to say that long stretches of the film have little 3D pop. Every now and again a shot stands out with strong depth. The opening title crawl is kind of cool, where the words stand out very prominently against the starfield.

I found the overall PQ basically the same as the bluray.

If you're like me, and simply have a curiosity factor about it, you'll probably find a mixed bag.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Steve I saw the trailer for this and was surprised it looked pretty good for being converted from 3D. My votes says it will be worth seeing. Have fun.

Yea, but they can always do their best 3D conversion for the parts in the trailer!


Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

I saw it in 3D on Friday. Whether or not it's worth your while depends on how you feel about PHANTOM MENACE in general.

I said in another thread that the 3D quality reminded me a lot of TRON: LEGACY. Which is to say that long stretches of the film have little 3D pop. Every now and again a shot stands out with strong depth. The opening title crawl is kind of cool, where the words stand out very prominently against the starfield.

I found the overall PQ basically the same as the bluray.

If you're like me, and simply have a curiosity factor about it, you'll probably find a mixed bag.

One of only two 3D movies in theater I've seen since Avatar was Tron:Legacy and I completely agree with your comments. My assumption was that the Star Wars 3d would be about on par with that Tron movie, not enough to make me want to go see it in the theater.

However, this weekend I watched the first three Star Wars movies (Episode 1, in 3d now in theater, and Episodes 2 & 3, having watched Episodes 4,5 and 6 a few weeks back) and I've got to say the blu ray picture and sound is really breathtaking!
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Yea, but they can always do their best 3D conversion for the parts in the trailer!




One of only two 3D movies in theater I've seen since Avatar was Tron:Legacy and I completely agree with your comments. My assumption was that the Star Wars 3d would be about on par with that Tron movie, not enough to make me want to go see it in the theater.

However, this weekend I watched the first three Star Wars movies (Episode 1, in 3d now in theater, and Episodes 2 & 3, having watched Episodes 4,5 and 6 a few weeks back) and I've got to say the blu ray picture and sound is really breathtaking!


I have to say, that I was disapointed with the 3D version - not recomended.


dj
post #6 of 10
Finally saw this tonight in a superb quality XD theater with RealD. I went strictly to check out the effectiveness of the 3D conversion.

I have no criticisms for the PQ that I didn't always have. Those image shortcomings are still quite terrible. That said, the 3D effect was quite impressive; far better than I expected. This clearly is designed to look realistic rather than like a gimmick. There is quite a sophisticated and successful attempt to honor the appropriate depth for a given lens/focal length and proximity of the subject to the camera. Overs (over the shoulders), and close overs were particularly realistic. I dropped my glasses at times to take a look. On these closeups, there is really no 3D processing of the face; it is left sharp, but with the glasses the depth is there in the bg. Well done "realistic" 3D.

Enduring the movie was brutal except for occasional brilliance...like the final light sabre duel.

I haven't watched the movie in its entirety in many years. Interestingly, I was able to follow the convoluted political environment better this time around. It seemed a little too familiar sounding. Trade Federation squables with and defies the Republic, then places trade blockade to strongarm the Republic. One can imagine Iran in the role of the Trade Federation, the UN as the Republic, and the Straits of Hormuz as the blockade point.

IF they do more of the SW saga, Empire has the best chance to really impress due to the quality of the original images/photography. IT MUST, though, be a 4K scan, distribution and projection. That might be quite spectacular for the Hoth battle alone.

The Spiderman 3D trailer looked terrific. I think that these new movies shot 4K or better with the RED 3D rig are going to be very impressive.
post #7 of 10
I seen it yesterday and enjoyed seeing Ep 1 again on the big screen. 3D effect was subtle tho as is with most conversions. The pod race scene was one of my favorite scenes as the extra depth was very cool.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

3D effect was quite impressive; far better than I expected. This clearly is designed to look realistic rather than like a gimmick. There is quite a sophisticated and successful attempt to honor the appropriate depth for a given lens/focal length and proximity of the subject to the camera. Overs (over the shoulders), and close overs were particularly realistic. I dropped my glasses at times to take a look. On these closeups, there is really no 3D processing of the face; it is left sharp, but with the glasses the depth is there in the bg. Well done "realistic" 3D.

This goes to support that there is a huge comfort factor in excellent 3d conversions (as opposed positive parallax vs Pos and neg in real 3D).

Some of my most successful demos to prospective vip type clients consisted on converted material strictly.

There is a huge future ahead for 3d conversions, done proper in post or in devices like the Terry in autopilot.
post #9 of 10
The ONLY saving grace for this movie on Bluray for me was the corrected aspect ratio. I would have liked to seen it also restored to it's theatrical presentation and not the DVD one.

I cannot see this movie being a good 3D candidate considering how it was originally filmed. Now, as for AOTC & ROTS, they MIGHT fare better as they really are films designed with the least amount of physical backgrounds in mind. I'm just not a fan of CGI movies that look CGI. It takes a lot away from the entire experience.

If you have to see it in 3D, a Budget Theater would be the best way to go.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I seen it yesterday and enjoyed seeing Ep 1 again on the big screen. 3D effect was subtle tho as is with most conversions. The pod race scene was one of my favorite scenes as the extra depth was very cool.

You lost me at "enjoyed seeing Ep. 1."

That's a movie I almost walked out of.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: D-cinema Equipment and Theaters
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › D-cinema Equipment and Theaters › Is The "First" Star Wars Coverted to 3D Worth Seeing in 3D Theater?