or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung 2012 PNxxE450 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung 2012 PNxxE450 Thread - Page 7

post #181 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

I'm not going into service mode for at least a few days because of the risks involved. I'm just guessing but the settings on mine in wb are all including contrast brightness at 128, except blue gain around 90, green gain around 100.
Note:this is for running in cool/est mode ( not warm)

With color around 53 you should see a reddish tint to skin at least on some shows..And with the color Turned down there should be no color. It should look black and white.
BE CAREFUL IN THERE!!!

with your settings of WB i still see the colors descailbrated... maybe the problem are ADC settings?
post #182 of 307
D
Edited by Vic12345 - 1/8/13 at 12:14am
post #183 of 307
If anyone is interested I'm posting my settings too. Using the main settings from the CNET test for contrast and brightness.

Cell light: 20
Using eco sensor setting turned on and then min cell light set to 14 (a number that the CNET tester found to be the best in viewing in a dim room) so that in a dark room it should automatically lower to 14 and the real blacks are closer to black then. (not sure you could see the difference between 14 and 20 though when it switches over, it is a subtle and slow move a bit after the lights in the room are gone)
The eco sensor must be turned on (if you decide to use it) and configured after the cell light is set to 20 or whatever, if not, changing the cell light always turns off the eco sensor.


Contrast: 91

Brightness:46 (dark areas of the picture can be too reflective if there's light in the room but this brightness setting gives the best blacks in a dim and totally dark room, in a lighted room as well if the reflections dont mess with you)

Color: 53

Sharpness: 0 for anything 720p or better,
9 for 576i (decent SD quality TV picture MPEG4)


Color space: Automatic
Gamma: +1
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0 [grayed out]
Motion Lighting: Off

Color tone: warm1


Wight balance can be totally different on dif TVs. There is no way you can get colors perfect on this TV I guess. Colors on my panel are wobbly all over the screen, more red in one corner and very slight colored 6-inch bands going vertically. (Average viewer wouldnt notice, I guess. good tv for the price, especially the SD pic scaling)
Too little points in the grey scale to configure as well. I had to set them to so that there wouldnt be too much red in brighter areas and too much green in darker areas (shadows on the faces were greenish too much):

26
22
25
22
23
25

I think the TV should be run for more than 100 (200) hours so that the brightness settings in these look good. Too dark for newly bought.
post #184 of 307
my settings in service menu:








I think must be some parameter displaced from its initial value...
post #185 of 307
Give me a few days and I will write down all my settings on my tv and I'll private message them to you.If you pressed the calibration button you will have to do the checkerboard calibration..DONT PRESS ANYTHING ELSE IN SERVICE MODE.



Calibeye the gains will affect everything in grayscale but more the brights,and the Bias do not affect the brights( if they do its not very much).Its only middle tones and darks



After looking at the pictures I'm a bit hesitant of going into the test pattern section as I have not gone in there before, but I will give you the other ones at least.
Edited by Vic12345 - 1/6/13 at 7:48pm
post #186 of 307
Hi all.

I have 51E6500 and have noticed when playing movies at relatively high volume there appears to be some low frequency speaker distortions from the plasma.

This appears when watching both sky or streamed video files.

I'm not connected to my amp yet as I only wall mounted last week?

Has anyone else noticed similar sound issues.

I have the sound setup on movie mode which locks out the graphic equaliser settings.It looks like only the standard setting allows graphi adjustment?
post #187 of 307
I've got cardboard behind my speakers

Settings

Balance middle
3 right of middle
1 right of middle
1 right of middle
5 right of middle
4 right of middle
Edited by Vic12345 - 2/26/13 at 6:41pm
post #188 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

Give me a few days and I will write down all my settings on my tv and I'll private message them to you.If you pressed the calibration button you will have to do the checkerboard calibration..DONT PRESS ANYTHING ELSE IN SERVICE MODE.
Calibeye the gains will affect everything in grayscale but more the brights,and the Bias do not affect the brights( if they do its not very much).Its only middle tones and darks
After looking at the pictures I'm a bit hesitant of going into the test pattern section as I have not gone in there before, but I will give you the other ones at least.

OK

i only pressed the "factory reset" button
post #189 of 307
Did u get the private message I sent.
post #190 of 307
I recommend STAY OUT OF SERVICE MODE ON TV. Too many bad things happen and there is not much too gain anyway.
post #191 of 307
Have any of you tried looking at the test patterns from this -> http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

I downloaded the MP4 compressed files and played them from USB-stick. You could use HDMI.
The basic patterns there are good for quick calibration.

There is a pattern called 'Greyscale Steps'. What colors do you guys see at every step at that scale? Do they look all grey or do they have some sort of slight coloring?
I got problems with some of the grey steps being green. :/ Dont wanna make them red or blue either. There is no setting they all look grey with. Also problems with red color clipping.



Thanks Vic for explanations on gains and bias. It is not totally clear for me yet though. biggrin.gif
I should read more stuff I guess.
post #192 of 307
When calibrating at night in a black room / night the only color I see On a greyscale is red at 6500k. I've found when I get the big grayscale pattern correct color the regular shows have a bit too much blue/ or luminance in the Brightest brights and the darks a bit too red .so I added a bit more red too the lights and reduced red in darks.

I've used the video essentials disc
post #193 of 307
for some reason my 43e450 movie setting goes away as soon as I turn on hdmi device, when my receiver is turned off movie mode shows back up. Does anyone know how to fix this
post #194 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by sruane287 View Post

for some reason my 43e450 movie setting goes away as soon as I turn on hdmi device, when my receiver is turned off movie mode shows back up. Does anyone know how to fix this

I think there are separate settings for every input type. Maybe you haven't calibrated your TV for HDMI yet. Try saving the new settings while watching something through HDMI.
(If all you want is a movie mode then try setting it to movie while the HDMI device is working and you are seeing the picture from that source and if all you do is switching it to a movie mode all the picture settings in that mode are left at default until you calibrate them because you haven't yet, if you want, I think.)
Not sure you have done that already. If you have then the problem can be something more serious.
Edited by CalibEye - 1/11/13 at 12:30am
post #195 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalibEye View Post

I think there are separate settings for every input type. Maybe you haven't calibrated your TV for HDMI yet. Try saving the new settings while watching something through HDMI.
(If all you want is a movie mode then try setting it to movie while the HDMI device is working and you are seeing the picture from that source and if all you do is switching it to a movie mode all the picture settings in that mode are left at default until you calibrate them because you haven't yet, if you want, I think.)
Not sure you have done that already. If you have then the problem can be something more serious.

Well that's the problem, when the source is showing on my television the mode goes to 'standard' and the 'movie' setting literally is not available as an option to select. It is not even grayed out, it's like it doesnt exist. As soon as the source is turned off the option is available again.
post #196 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by sruane287 View Post

Well that's the problem, when the source is showing on my television the mode goes to 'standard' and the 'movie' setting literally is not available as an option to select. It is not even grayed out, it's like it doesnt exist. As soon as the source is turned off the option is available again.

It happened to me today as well. I had the options: 'standard' and 'entertainment', No 'movie'.
I had it connected to a PC with HDMI and I changed some settings there on the PC's control panel regarding screens, the resolution the PC sends the picture out with and maybe something else and suddenly when going to the menu on the TV next time there was the movie setting too and all the settings were at factory default I guess in that movie mode. Weird.
post #197 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalibEye View Post

It happened to me today as well. I had the options: 'standard' and 'entertainment', No 'movie'.
I had it connected to a PC with HDMI and I changed some settings there on the PC's control panel regarding screens, the resolution the PC sends the picture out with and maybe something else and suddenly when going to the menu on the TV next time there was the movie setting too and all the settings were at factory default I guess in that movie mode. Weird.

Ugh.. Annoying, it's just plugged in to my Marantz receiver... I wonder if hard resetting the tv would help, anyone know how to hard reset the tv?
post #198 of 307
One of the most important adjustments is adjusting the gains ( brights ) correctly to 6500k temperature at 100% picture brightness white levels..i did it with video essentials 100% bright white box comparing it to an ipad1 (7000k) 55 -60 % brightness level setting , around 16% box size (which is a good size for this tv, bigger boxes are brighter than smaller ones on this tv).The better you get it the more you can TURN CONTRAST UP as high as you can possibly get it without it looking wrong/clipping/ wrong colors in brightest scenes.I also calibrated grayscale ramps and by watching tv with color turned down so
it's black and white to see which colors are Noticable.then tried to balance it all out.A little Extra red in it seems to be best color if any color.

Still learning how to calibrate here.Slowly figuring it out.i think.

pc mode did not look as good as movie but I never tried calibrating colors in pc mode.

Sruane not sure this helps but if you have a box did you try changing the ColorSpace ycc4:4:4 , rgb or whatever settings it has?
Edited by Vic12345 - 1/14/13 at 9:17pm
post #199 of 307
Tv looking awful( too much white balance adjusting) Just realiszed I got to turn color down and watch tv with moving images and different screens and do the calibrating and comparing to iPad color gray bars/whites as the grayscale colors are continuously changing on this tv as the screens change so a you need more than stationary static screens.

Or maybe I need to pull out the video essentials again.That might be the best option.
Edited by Vic12345 - 1/21/13 at 5:22am
post #200 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

One of the most important adjustments is adjusting the gains ( brights ) correctly to 6500k temperature at 100% picture brightness white levels..i did it with video essentials 100% bright white box comparing it to an ipad1 (7000k) 55 -60 % brightness level setting , around 16% box size (which is a good size for this tv, bigger boxes are brighter than smaller ones on this tv).The better you get it the more you can TURN CONTRAST UP as high as you can possibly get it without it looking wrong/clipping/ wrong colors in brightest scenes.I also calibrated grayscale ramps and by watching tv with color turned down so
it's black and white to see which colors are Noticable.then tried to balance it all out.A little Extra red in it seems to be best color if any color.

Still learning how to calibrate here.Slowly figuring it out.i think.

pc mode did not look as good as movie but I never tried calibrating colors in pc mode.

Sruane not sure this helps but if you have a box did you try changing the ColorSpace ycc4:4:4 , rgb or whatever settings it has?
Sorry for delay, the error was my Xbox output
post #201 of 307
I recently purchased a PN51E450 and have been very happy with it overall. But there's one thing I'm trying to resolve.

I would like it to play movies created by my digital camera without having to convert them to another format. Before making the purchase, I tested this out on another Samsung in the store, and it worked fine. I couldn't test it on this specific model because it was mounted higher up on the wall, but I figured if it worked on one Samsung it would work on any of them. In other words, I assumed they would all be running the same version of ConnectShare. But I was wrong. The movies will not play on my TV.

So my question is whether there is a way to upgrade the software version for the media player. I have looked into upgrading firmware. But mine is running firmware version 1014, and the only version available for download on Samsung's website is 1011, which I am guessing is an older version (since it is a lower number). So I didn't want to install that, especially not knowing whether it would address the issue I care about anyway.

I have emailed Samsung directly, but I find that forums like this often give better answers than manufacturers. So does anyone here have any experience with this?

Thanks.
post #202 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo joe View Post

I recently purchased a PN51E450 and have been very happy with it overall. But there's one thing I'm trying to resolve.

I would like it to play movies created by my digital camera without having to convert them to another format. Before making the purchase, I tested this out on another Samsung in the store, and it worked fine. I couldn't test it on this specific model because it was mounted higher up on the wall, but I figured if it worked on one Samsung it would work on any of them. In other words, I assumed they would all be running the same version of ConnectShare. But I was wrong. The movies will not play on my TV.

So my question is whether there is a way to upgrade the software version for the media player. I have looked into upgrading firmware. But mine is running firmware version 1014, and the only version available for download on Samsung's website is 1011, which I am guessing is an older version (since it is a lower number). So I didn't want to install that, especially not knowing whether it would address the issue I care about anyway.

I have emailed Samsung directly, but I find that forums like this often give better answers than manufacturers. So does anyone here have any experience with this?

Thanks.

I have been playing files from a portable 500GB HDD with this TV and I haven't noticed any problems playing the files other than it is slow to load the files/move around between folders and often it doesnt connect to the HDD making the HDD (buffalo MiniStation) blink its blue LED and it makes the ticking noise. The latter might be the problem caused by too many files/folders on the HDD maybe, don't know. Not enough power is another possibility.
Havent noticed it not playing the files once it is connected though, ever. It even plays the MKV and some AVI files that my XBMC on my PC doesnt play for some reason.

What kind of files are you trying to play? Can you connect to the device you are trying to play the files from so the source appears in the source list when the "source" is pressed and you see the folders when choosing the correct source? I guess you can see the files though.
Also, are you connecting with the USB?
Maybe you could try renaming the source when it is in the source list with the correct name choosing from the list it gives you when pressing "tools" -> "rename" while in source list. It should play the files regardless of that but maybe it helps. Maybe it acts differently playing files based on what it thinks it is connected to.

Overall I think it is better to play files through the PC with HDMI or something. Browsing would be much quicker.
post #203 of 307
Oh, edit. You can't rename the USB source I think. |:
post #204 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalibEye View Post

I have been playing files from a portable 500GB HDD with this TV and I haven't noticed any problems playing the files other than it is slow to load the files/move around between folders and often it doesnt connect to the HDD making the HDD (buffalo MiniStation) blink its blue LED and it makes the ticking noise. The latter might be the problem caused by too many files/folders on the HDD maybe, don't know. Not enough power is another possibility.
Havent noticed it not playing the files once it is connected though, ever. It even plays the MKV and some AVI files that my XBMC on my PC doesnt play for some reason.

What kind of files are you trying to play? Can you connect to the device you are trying to play the files from so the source appears in the source list when the "source" is pressed and you see the folders when choosing the correct source? I guess you can see the files though.
Also, are you connecting with the USB?
Maybe you could try renaming the source when it is in the source list with the correct name choosing from the list it gives you when pressing "tools" -> "rename" while in source list. It should play the files regardless of that but maybe it helps. Maybe it acts differently playing files based on what it thinks it is connected to.

Overall I think it is better to play files through the PC with HDMI or something. Browsing would be much quicker.

The TV recognizes thumb drives and my hard drive just fine (both via USB), and it will browse through photos with no unreasonable lag time. It will even see the movie files; it just won't play them.

The movies are created on a Pentax DSLR. They are motion jpegs in an AVI container. But from what I understand, the audio format which Pentax chose to use is a bit unusual; as a result, they do not necessarily play on all devices that typically can decode AVI files.

My frustration lies in the fact that when I took a thumb drive with one of these movies on it to the store and tested it on another Samsung TV, it worked fine. That leads me to believe that the media player which Samsung put on the E450 is a different version than the one which was on the other Samsung TV I tried in the store. Thus, my question is whether it is possible to modify the software or firmware in order to have that other version of ConnectShare which will play these movies.

Your idea of renaming the files is certainly worth a shot. I hadn't thought of that, but I know that has occasionally worked for me in the past on computers.That would at least be quicker than converting the movies to a different format. I'll try it out and post back here later.
Edited by photo joe - 1/30/13 at 4:40am
post #205 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo joe View Post

Your idea of renaming the files is certainly worth a shot. I hadn't thought of that, but I know that has occasionally worked for me in the past on computers.That would at least be quicker than converting the movies to a different format. I'll try it out and post back here later.

No luck with renaming.

So far the best thing has been to use Adobe Media Encoder to convert the movie to an H.264 mp4. This plays just fine on the Samsung TV as well as on the Panasonic blu-ray player. It would just be nice to avoid the conversion step if possible.
Edited by photo joe - 1/29/13 at 7:48pm
post #206 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo joe View Post

No luck with renaming.

So far the best thing has been to use Adobe Media Encoder to convert the movie to an H.264 mp4. This plays just fine on the Samsung TV as well as on the Panasonic blu-ray player. It would just be nice to avoid the conversion step if possible.

Actually I was thinking of renaming the source device in the source list in the TV's menu to "camcorder", "camera" or whatever it is called in English. There is a list to choose from but since it is USB there isn't the renaming option as far as I know. Not that it would help anyway. So, ignore it.

Yeah, I guess the Pentax records these weird files.
Out of curiousity you can send me some short few sec clip of your camera recording to my e-mail, valgurrsld@gmail.com, to see if I can play it on my TV, assuming the TV connects to my HDD (it wont do that on the first try every time but I can try and let you know later). You can record a wall or something random for few sec for that.
post #207 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalibEye View Post

Out of curiousity you can send me some short few sec clip of your camera recording to my e-mail, valgurrsld@gmail.com, to see if I can play it on my TV, assuming the TV connects to my HDD (it wont do that on the first try every time but I can try and let you know later). You can record a wall or something random for few sec for that.
Thanks. I'm at work right now, but I'll do that tonight and email it to you. Thanks.
post #208 of 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo joe View Post

Thanks. I'm at work right now, but I'll do that tonight and email it to you. Thanks.

No problem, thanks for sending the file because I am interested in this TV's capabilities myself also.
I think the thread in the forum is for PNxxE450 model, I got the european model of it actually, the PS43E450, not sure about yours, but I think they both should play the file the same.

Tried connecting the HDD with your file on it but I am getting this problem where the HDD wont connect again as I was afraid beforehand. Ill get it connected eventually and post the results later.


In the middle of writing this I actually found out that in the manual for Samsung 4+ series it says that the Motion JPEG is supported up to 640x480 resolution only. I guess it is that way because this video codec was mainly present in older cameras. Not sure the higher series of Samsung support it either if the resolution is bigger than that.
Maybe you tried it in the shop with a lower resolution. If it is higher resolution I think it can sometimes play it but it is not guaranteed. Your video was 720p.

The audio codecs should be supported the following and I think these are not the problem, I guess you know these anyway:
AC3
LPCM
ADMPCM
(IMA, MS)
AAC
HE-AAC
WMA
DD+
MPEG
(MP3)
DTS Core

The thing is I don't know if they would up the resolution for Motion JPEG in the firmware updates. You can search for Samsung higher series manuals to find if the resolutions supported are the same. I'm sure they are.
Usually Samsung is the best in terms of codecs and playing the files. So I don't think you made the wrong choice choosing the brand.
post #209 of 307
I got the HDD connected finally. The file won't play on my TV too, confirmed.

After choosing the file for me the TV clearly says (free translation from my menu language):

The given video resolution is currently not supported.
Video resolution: 1280x720
"OK"


Got no idea about the firmware version of my TV and no info about if there are plans to support the higher resolutions in the next updates. |:
post #210 of 307
Also confirmed that there are higher resolutions suppported at least in the higher series of Samsung (and maybe in the newest firmwares for all series if there is any).

This is the manual you would get if you would buy the 9 series Samsung LED TV - http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201203/20120327094306342/01_EPDVBEUE_ENG.pdf

(You can find the listed video codecs the easiest way in this PDF file pressing Cntrl+F and searching for 'video codec'.)

Even the Google's VP8 video codec is supported and the WebM container.
The only codec that doesn't support 1080 resolutions seems to be some kind of VP6 codec.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung 2012 PNxxE450 Thread