or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

post #1 of 419
Thread Starter 
.
post #2 of 419
Cooool! Do you think the variable aspect will be carried over to the BD?
post #3 of 419
Thread Starter 
More than likely, if not it will be a big screen edition like Revenge of the Fallen
post #4 of 419
Lol, I hope they don't do it like that but if they do.. I'll get that version.
post #5 of 419
I enjoyed it. Fun movie.
post #6 of 419
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Lol, I hope they don't do it like that but if they do.. I'll get that version.

It's Paramount..
post #7 of 419
Hmmm... wonder if that would be a Walmart exclusive again.

Got my RoF BS edition on Amazon cuz they're amazing!
post #8 of 419
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Hmmm... wonder if that would be a Walmart exclusive again.

Got my RoF BS edition on Amazon cuz they're amazing!

Maybe, or they may just not bother.
Details are thin about this right now.
post #9 of 419
Quite possibly it was just the film print I saw, but this movie looked soft.
post #10 of 419
Day 1 purchase.
post #11 of 419
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Quite possibly it was just the film print I saw, but this movie looked soft.

Looked the same for me, crap release print tho
post #12 of 419
Looked alright to me, although that may have been the usual IMAX edge enhancement (a.k.a. the IMAX DMR process ) working its magic. Edge halos on a 45ft screen....awesome.

Anyhoo, the movie didn't blow my skirt up but it was mildly enjoyable, thanks to those astonishing full-height IMAX sequences. If that's not carried over to the BD a la Transformers: ROTF, then I won't bother. And if I have to pay silly money to import some daft retailer exclusive IMAX version, I won't bother.
post #13 of 419
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Looked alright to me, although that may have been the usual IMAX edge enhancement (a.k.a. the IMAX DMR process ) working its magic. Edge halos on a 45ft screen....awesome.

Anyhoo, the movie didn't blow my skirt up but it was mildly enjoyable, thanks to those astonishing full-height IMAX sequences. If that's not carried over to the BD a la Transformers: ROTF, then I won't bother. And if I have to pay silly money to import some daft retailer exclusive IMAX version, I won't bother.

DMR is crap, always has been.someone needs to man up and shoot a whole movie in IMAX.
The sound mix was amazing tho.
post #14 of 419
Thread Starter 
UK Play.com exclusive Steelbook added to OP
post #15 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

DMR is crap, always has been.someone needs to man up and shoot a whole movie in IMAX.
The sound mix was amazing tho.

Yes, the sound was awesome! Hope it is in 7.1 surround.

I'm sure there are some that would go all IMAX but it's just expensive to film on and that's why we don't see it more often. Also, I remember when Apollo 13 was re-released for IMAX that there was a running time issue related to film roll size. Not sure if that was a limitation at the time that as been fixed (ignoring HDD "film" storage systems of today) these days. That could be another reason.
post #16 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yes, the sound was awesome! Hope it is in 7.1 surround.

I'm sure there are some that would go all IMAX but it's just expensive to film on and that's why we don't see it more often. Also, I remember when Apollo 13 was re-released for IMAX that there was a running time issue related to film roll size. Not sure if that was a limitation at the time that as been fixed (ignoring HDD "film" storage systems of today) these days. That could be another reason.

There's also the issue of IMAX cameras being unbearably loud and rendering on-set foley sound useless, forcing IMAX scenes to have to be completely dubbed. That + size/weight and the factors you mention render it impractical to use for an entire film.
post #17 of 419
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post

There's also the issue of IMAX cameras being unbearably loud and rendering on-set foley sound useless, forcing IMAX scenes to have to be completely dubbed. That + the size/weight render it impractical to use for an entire film.

Look at what they did with 70mm cams on 2001! they can sort it out, its a cost thing only
post #18 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Look at what they did with 70mm cams on 2001! they can sort it out, its a cost thing only

Because 2001 has so much dialogue...
post #19 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Look at what they did with 70mm cams on 2001! they can sort it out, its a cost thing only

Standard 70mm = less noisy than IMAX (though perhaps also too loud for dialogue foley...I'm not sure). I learned of the noise issue when reading up on The Dark Knight back in the day.
post #20 of 419
Havent seen this yet from what I've been told its quite good. I'm looking forward to it.
post #21 of 419
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post

Standard 70mm = less noisy than IMAX (though perhaps also too loud for dialogue foley...I'm not sure). I learned of the noise issue when reading up on The Dark Knight back in the day.

Its 2012, someone can build a quiet enclosure
post #22 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Its 2012, someone can build a quiet enclosure

Cool! lulz etc etc
post #23 of 419
...They could call it "Quimax"? I don't know, obviously it would be amazing if they could engineer a design that brought the noise down to that of a conventional camera, but the powers that may likely don't see it as cost effective, and it seems that a quieter system would require more overall bulk, making the whole thing even more cumbersome, etc
post #24 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Also, I remember when Apollo 13 was re-released for IMAX that there was a running time issue related to film roll size. Not sure if that was a limitation at the time that as been fixed (ignoring HDD "film" storage systems of today) these days. That could be another reason.

The running length problem only affected the IMAX conversions of Apollo 13 and Attack of the Clones. After those two, IMAX adjusted the platter system to handle longer movies. All IMAX DMR conversions from The Matrix Reloaded forward have been fully uncut.
post #25 of 419
Ah, good to know. Thanks Josh.

IMAX sure has grown a lot in popularity since Apollo 13.
post #26 of 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The running length problem only affected the IMAX conversions of Apollo 13 and Attack of the Clones. After those two, IMAX adjusted the platter system to handle longer movies. All IMAX DMR conversions from The Matrix Reloaded forward have been fully uncut.

At the risk of not staying on topic, I remember I actually prefered the shoter IMAX Attack of the Clones version over the regular theatrical version as they removed some of the utterly terrible "romance" dialogue.
post #27 of 419
"I hate sand. I gets everywhere."

post #28 of 419
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post

Cool! lulz etc etc

Superb contribution, thanks
post #29 of 419
This was big fun ,my favorite MI so far.

Art
post #30 of 419
Most of my friends really loved this movie.

I couldn't quite get into it. Cruise looks catatonic throughout the film, and his main selling point appears to be his willingness to totally abuse himself doing his own stuntwork. If you like watching an actor in a stupor playing the role of crash test dummy, then I guess this film will work.

I was also disappointed that Nyqvsit was cast as the villain: I was so used to seeing him as the sympathetic, courageous journalist in "dragon tattoo."

What the heck were they fighting over anyway?!? The US vs. Russia angle is several decades too late.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol