or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Youtube in wmc?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Youtube in wmc?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
My kids wanted to watch some youtube videos on our tv via our xbox360 extender interface and low and behold this feature does not exist. I tried to install the macrotube plugin but it says that it does not launch. How in this day and age is youtube not integrated into this?
post #2 of 10
Macro Tube used to be the best way. Development stopped and the new code, You Tube no longer works.

So I use the Kylo Browser, have to use the mouse or keyboard however...
post #3 of 10
That sounds a bit hard to believe you cant watch youtube videos at all under Windows Media Center. That sound like it would be a fundamental/core feature. I did a quick search... wouldn't the below software work?
http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/ind...-media-center/

All my sageTV extenders have always had native support for youtube. My family uses it almost on a daily basis on our sageTV extenders; it's tied into TV show/movie trailer support as well as music video playback.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

That sounds a bit hard to believe you cant watch youtube videos at all under Windows Media Center. That sound like it would be a fundamental/core feature. I did a quick search... wouldn't the below software work?
http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/ind...-media-center/

All my sageTV extenders have always had native support for youtube. My family uses it almost on a daily basis on our sageTV extenders; it's tied into TV show/movie trailer support as well as music video playback.

Just tried this. Crashed WMC for me.
post #5 of 10
I tried searching for an answer last month. No luck. macrotube doesnt work. Piptube is very glitchy.

I also tried to launch youtube.com/leanback via chrome from wmc (with a lil help from media center studio of course) but something about chrome doesn't allow me to launch it straight from wmc. Maybe if I use a different browser that method would work but I gave up at that point.
post #6 of 10
Maybe I'm missing something here... but, does Windows Media Center for Windows 7 really not have builtin youtube? I'm still having a hard time believing none of the WMC users have a native youtube feature. Seems like a pretty big feature to overlook. Is there any kind of builtin online streaming at all? I remember being just as surprised when I found out that WMC doesn't have any sort of native blu-ray playback either. I would guess these are pretty basic features that any media center app should have. I tried searching and searching; but couldn't find any other youtube addons for WMC.
post #7 of 10
Playon would be an option, tversity media server with ffdshow directshow filters is the better. http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...n_xbox_360.cfm

I personally like playon better, since it allows multi-platform use.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post

My kids wanted to watch some youtube videos on our tv

Interestingly, this is exatly why I've been working on a plugin for NextPVR and it's working pretty well (including on the NMT extenders). The only thing I don't have working at the moment is purchased movies and RTMP streaming.

Free movies that are http streams work fine and almost all video uploads are http.

Screenshots are old and may have changed with later versions.










post #9 of 10
I'm a WMC user and don't miss the lack of YouTube at all, although I admit it would be nice if MS released an official add-on for it.

I'm usually watching TV, a movie, or Netflix. For everything else, I just use my laptop.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

I'm a WMC user and don't miss the lack of YouTube at all, although I admit it would be nice if MS released an official add-on for it.

I'm usually watching TV, a movie, or Netflix. For everything else, I just use my laptop.

Problem -

I use You Tube to watch a few things... Keiser Report for one, because using the above Kylo browser (Firefox based) watching the show via his web site Max Keiser, often times the video defaults back to his page (from full screen) and a blank video player.... So I watch it via You Tube. I watch RT via Mhz Networks on one of the sub-channels from KCET (Flagship PBS Los Angeles) but they seem to take different streams from different times in the day and don't always get his show.

I also watch Capital Account that way for the same reason, my RT doesn't feature this show.

There other things I would like to watch using my remote and not a mouse... I used to use Macro Tube quite a bit and for awhile it was very stable, I even added some modified XML files too it.

I think Windows 8 Media Center is bound to have some surprises in it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Youtube in wmc?