or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 Owners Thread - Page 54

post #1591 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You certainly have a unique point of view.

Just sayin.
post #1592 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post


When people say that the BDT-500 have more saturated and deeper colours and better blacks whereas the BDT-320 also seem to side on that side of the fench it make me believe that they do tweak the image a bit more to impress since there is really nothing wrong at all in those areas on the 320.

Hopefully I won´t cave...

When i read this it makes me ask it there are any differences between the chipset in the units. There are reported issues with 4:4:4 and 7.1 audio in this thread. Does the 500 have the same problem?
post #1593 of 4169
I'm still shaking my head at Panasonic's design team concerning IR control on the BDT500. Integrating this unit with a RF remote control system is going to be a huge PITA. There's no direct IR input on the back panel and the IR receiver on the front panel IS BEHIND A MOVING DOOR, which makes attaching an emitter problematic at best. This is their flagship BD player. What in the hell were they thinking?
post #1594 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

When i read this it makes me ask it there are any differences between the chipset in the units. There are reported issues with 4:4:4 and 7.1 audio in this thread. Does the 500 have the same problem?

What colour space you preferr is more what your tv like and what you preferr. I don´t see any problems with 4:4:4 at all personally.

I am mostly listening through headphones so don´t know how well 7.1 work.

Panasonic has not advertized any difference at all regarding the video chipset but it´s possible the information on their website is outdated
post #1595 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

I'm still shaking my head at Panasonic's design team concerning IR control on the BDT500. Integrating this unit with a RF remote control system is going to be a huge PITA. There's no direct IR input on the back panel and the IR receiver on the front panel IS BEHIND A MOVING DOOR, which makes attaching an emitter problematic at best. This is their flagship BD player. What in the hell were they thinking?

I haven't seen the 500. I suppose it's possible, maybe even probable, that the "door" is transparent to IR in the area around the IR receiver. That should work but attaching an emitter to the door in the correct spot will a problem when the door is open. In the 500's price range, providing good remote communication should be a higher priority.
post #1596 of 4169
Real voice/lip sync issues on Netflix last night with the 220. Turned off quick start, but didn't help. Was there something else I needed to do like a fresh boot of the player or pulling the plug, etc. There was not a disc in the machine at the time.
post #1597 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I haven't seen the 500. I suppose it's possible, maybe even probable, that the "door" is transparent to IR in the area around the IR receiver. That should work but attaching an emitter to the door in the correct spot will a problem when the door is open. In the 500's price range, providing good remote communication should be a higher priority.

The door is transparent to IR at the receiver. If it weren't the factory remote wouldn't work. The problem, as you point out, is that attaching an emitter to a moving part is far from ideal. At this price point Panasonic should have provided a 3.5mm IR input on the rear panel, an addition that probably would have added less than a dollar to the per unit manufacturing cost (if that). Instead we're stuck with a high end player that has no good RF -> IR support.
post #1598 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 View Post

Real voice/lip sync issues on Netflix last night with the 220. Turned off quick start, but didn't help. Was there something else I needed to do like a fresh boot of the player or pulling the plug, etc. There was not a disc in the machine at the time.

Have you installed the latest firmware? I installed latest FW, did a hard reset from page 31 of the manual, turned off quick start and BDLive and Netflix seems to be working fine since then.
post #1599 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

Have you installed the latest firmware? I installed latest FW, did a hard reset from page 31 of the manual, turned off quick start and BDLive and Netflix seems to be working fine since then.

Already downloaded the latest firmware. Disabled quick start. Rebooted the machine and ,voila, no lip sync issue any more. Rebooting after disabling quick start did the trick in my case. Thanks for your input though. Appreciate it!
post #1600 of 4169
After several months of research i finally bought the panasonic DMP BDT 220 a few days ago. I updated to the latest firmware 1.31 from factory default 1.01 and configured netflix via wireless. After a few minutes of streaming i lost wireless connectivity. Strangley i could not pick up any wireless broadcast, there are several broadcast at my apartment. I did a power cycle, factory reset and the system and was able to connect back on... a few minutes of streaming and the same issue.

Tired of it i returned the piece to retail store i purchased from. They were kind to give me a replacement. Back home and I start the whole process again and update the firmware and seeing the same problem- netflix streams for a while and then times out. I cant reconnect and cant see any wireless broadcast after that. I have to power cycle and can get it work for a few minutes and then times out again. I read this blog and disabled quick start and still have the same issue.

As anyone else seen this problem? Any fix? If this problem persist my last option is to return it for a sony S590. Its a shame every one seems to like this player.
post #1601 of 4169
Some months ago I tested the 2D>3D conversion on the 210 and found the results mediocre, and that is being generous.
I have now tested that conversion with the 220 and found it equally mediocre.

I have also tested the Monoprice 2d>3D converter and although slightly better (but only very slightly) than the Panny converters it is still nothing to write home about.

OTOH the Imax 3D rendition of 'Beneath the Sea' is outstanding. Watching the large Potato Cod floating 5 feet in front of the screen is breathtaking.

Conclusion, the 210 and 220 are excellent 3D BR players but 2D>3D conversion is not a reason to use these players.

Epson 3010 3D FP projecting to a 100 inch screen.
post #1602 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic22 View Post

After several months of research i finally bought the panasonic DMP BDT 220 a few days ago. I updated to the latest firmware 1.31 from factory default 1.01 and configured netflix via wireless. After a few minutes of streaming i lost wireless connectivity. Strangley i could not pick up any wireless broadcast, there are several broadcast at my apartment. I did a power cycle, factory reset and the system and was able to connect back on... a few minutes of streaming and the same issue.

Tired of it i returned the piece to retail store i purchased from. They were kind to give me a replacement. Back home and I start the whole process again and update the firmware and seeing the same problem- netflix streams for a while and then times out. I cant reconnect and cant see any wireless broadcast after that. I have to power cycle and can get it work for a few minutes and then times out again. I read this blog and disabled quick start and still have the same issue.

As anyone else seen this problem? Any fix? If this problem persist my last option is to return it for a sony S590. Its a shame every one seems to like this player.

Must be the signals you pick from others faze in and out. You don't get full bars of signal is am sure?
Solution : get your own internet
post #1603 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

The door is transparent to IR at the receiver. If it weren't the factory remote wouldn't work. The problem, as you point out, is that attaching an emitter to a moving part is far from ideal. At this price point Panasonic should have provided a 3.5mm IR input on the rear panel, an addition that probably would have added less than a dollar to the per unit manufacturing cost (if that). Instead we're stuck with a high end player that has no good RF -> IR support.

The OPPO players have RS232, a IR receiver on the front surface, and an IR input on the back. I suppose that's why the BDP-93 MSRP is $150 more than the 500.
post #1604 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

I'm still shaking my head at Panasonic's design team concerning IR control on the BDT500. Integrating this unit with a RF remote control system is going to be a huge PITA. There's no direct IR input on the back panel and the IR receiver on the front panel IS BEHIND A MOVING DOOR, which makes attaching an emitter problematic at best. This is their flagship BD player. What in the hell were they thinking?

I have owned OTHER moving Door Panasonic players.

Attaching an emitter to the moving front door works PERFECTLY
post #1605 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I have owned OTHER moving Door Panasonic players.

Attaching an emitter to the moving front door works PERFECTLY

Is there is no problem with the wire attached to the emitter eventually pulling the emitter free from the door?

I have two players stacked (doorless) and the emitter is just laying on the shelf in front of them. That seems to work for me. I've a lot of emitters that just wouldn't stay stuck.

I did get a 20' wire with an emitter that seems to have no trouble stay stuck to our display.
post #1606 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayatiakbas View Post

Must be the signals you pick from others faze in and out. You don't get full bars of signal is am sure?
Solution : get your own internet

hayatiakbas,

I do have my own high speed internet with AES encryption. currently i have it wired, but would like to keep it wireless.
post #1607 of 4169
I'm still trying to locate the setting or method for enabling 2D-3D conversion on my 500. I've got it's HDMI connected directly to my Laservue (Mitsubishi DLP with 3D set to "checkerboard"), and while 3D content plays as expected, I do not appear to have any 2D-3D settings in any of the player's menus.

I realize that the conversion is "marginal" at best, however I am trying to verify that all advertised features are functioning.

This isn't my first 3D rodeo, buy it is my first player with the ability to convert content.

Also, the player will not output any native 3D content from VUDU, starting that it isn't connected to a 3D capable display.

The player is connected directly to the display, and 3D Blu-Ray had no issue?!

Do I need to throw my (unused) Mitsubishi 3D first conversion module into the mix and set the player to output "full"?

Thanks
post #1608 of 4169
After browsing through this thread you get the impression that there are many inherent addressable problems in the design of the 220.

I am waiting for my new 220 from Amazon and it would be great if there was a summary of what setting tweaks users have found by trial and error.

I have read that turning off
quick start
bd live
deep color etc appear to help correct several problems, but are there any others tweaks that could be added to this list.
This would serve as a good summary to owners and prospective buyers of the BDT220
Thanks for your help!
post #1609 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

I'm still trying to locate the setting or method for enabling 2D-3D conversion on my 500. I've got it's HDMI connected directly to my Laservue (Mitsubishi DLP with 3D set to "checkerboard"), and while 3D content plays as expected, I do not appear to have any 2D-3D settings in any of the player's menus.

I realize that the conversion is "marginal" at best, however I am trying to verify that all advertised features are functioning.

This isn't my first 3D rodeo, buy it is my first player with the ability to convert content.

Also, the player will not output any native 3D content from VUDU, starting that it isn't connected to a 3D capable display.

The player is connected directly to the display, and 3D Blu-Ray had no issue?!

Do I need to throw my (unused) Mitsubishi 3D first conversion module into the mix and set the player to output "full"?

Thanks

2D-3D conversion does not work when the player is set to checkboard. It must be set to full.

S~
post #1610 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The OPPO players have RS232, a IR receiver on the front surface, and an IR input on the back. I suppose that's why the BDP-93 MSRP is $150 more than the 500.

The Sony BDP-S790 has a 3.5mm IR input and its MSRP is only $250.
post #1611 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I have owned OTHER moving Door Panasonic players.

Attaching an emitter to the moving front door works PERFECTLY

I have my doubts, and it looks like crap. IMO there's still no excusing the omission of a cheap IR input on a player that costs this much. But it is what it is. Time to move on.
post #1612 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

I have my doubts, and it looks like crap. IMO there's still no excusing the omission of a cheap IR input on a player that costs this much. But it is what it is. Time to move on.

Shown is MY IR emitter attached to the Panny with a Moving Door.
It is the 2nd box down under the TiVo.
It does not look any worse than the other units with No Moving doors.
Yes - I use extra double sided tape on all my Emitters.
LL
post #1613 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Shown is MY IR emitter attached to the Panny with a Moving Door.
It is the 2nd box down under the TiVo.
It does not look any worse than the other units with No Moving doors.
Yes - I use extra double sided tape on all my Emitters.

Thanks for the pic. It reinforces my initial opinion.
post #1614 of 4169
I have been experiencing a new problem when streaming Netflix on the BDT-320 player.

Everything will stream great until suddenly it buffers for a few seconds and then a message comes up stating something like Unable to connect. Either try reconnecting or choose another title.

This message might occur after successfully watching a full movie or several episodes of a program so it seems to happen out of nowhere. I can't figure out what is causing this problem. Also, I notice that when it does happen, if I go into settings it doesn't show a my wireless connection. It's blank. I have to turn off the blu-ray and then turn it back on again. And for some reason, I can't turn on the player for a couple of minutes. If I try to turn on the power, nothing happens. Finally, after a few minutes it will suddenly power on.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced or have heard of this problem and what could be causing it.

One other thing, I recently changed my wireless connection to double speed as my router supports 40 MZ. I don't know if doing this has changed a thing but am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the double speed connection. Should it be faster? Can it cause more connection problems?

Any info would be appreciated.
post #1615 of 4169
Gary50,

I have been experiencing this with the 220 I just bought over this past weekend from day one (after firmware upgrade of course). The symptoms are exactly as you and Cosmic22 (Post #1600) describe. I'm still trying different combinations of settings, but I'm thinking it's a firmware issue with wireless connectivity. The timing of the disconnect is quite variable, but so far I haven't gotten past about one hour of Netflix streaming before it happens. Frustrating!!

I'm currently experimenting with different combinations of fixed ip wireless config, quickstart setting, BD Live setting, etc. I'll post back if I discover a magic combination of settings to prevent this behavior. I am also interested if anyone else is seeing this on their players after the 1.31 firmware upgrade.
post #1616 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary50 View Post

I have been experiencing a new problem when streaming Netflix on the BDT-320 player.

Everything will stream great until suddenly it buffers for a few seconds and then a message comes up stating something like Unable to connect. Either try reconnecting or choose another title.

This message might occur after successfully watching a full movie or several episodes of a program so it seems to happen out of nowhere. I can't figure out what is causing this problem. Also, I notice that when it does happen, if I go into settings it doesn't show a my wireless connection. It's blank. I have to turn off the blu-ray and then turn it back on again. And for some reason, I can't turn on the player for a couple of minutes. If I try to turn on the power, nothing happens. Finally, after a few minutes it will suddenly power on.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced or have heard of this problem and what could be causing it.

One other thing, I recently changed my wireless connection to double speed as my router supports 40 MZ. I don't know if doing this has changed a thing but am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the double speed connection. Should it be faster? Can it cause more connection problems?

Any info would be appreciated.

When you can't turn the player back on, try unplugging it for a few seconds, restoring power, and then turning on. If it won't turn on even after being unplugged, I would have to wonder if the problem could be heat related. Is your unit well ventilated?
post #1617 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by earowles View Post

Gary50,

I have been experiencing this with the 220 I just bought over this past weekend from day one (after firmware upgrade of course). The symptoms are exactly as you and Cosmic22 (Post #1600) describe. I'm still trying different combinations of settings, but I'm thinking it's a firmware issue with wireless connectivity. The timing of the disconnect is quite variable, but so far I haven't gotten past about one hour of Netflix streaming before it happens. Frustrating!!

I'm currently experimenting with different combinations of fixed ip wireless config, quickstart setting, BD Live setting, etc. I'll post back if I discover a magic combination of settings to prevent this behavior. I am also interested if anyone else is seeing this on their players after the 1.31 firmware upgrade.


It is very frustrating and puzzling. I didn't have this problem prior to the firmware upgrade. I think I had to restart one time before the update,, now it happens often.

Are you having the same issue with the blu-ray not powering on for a few minutes after turning it off?

Good luck with your experimenting. I hope you're able to figure out a solution.
post #1618 of 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

When you can't turn the player back on, try unplugging it for a few seconds, restoring power, and then turning on. If it won't turn on even after being unplugged, I would have to wonder if the problem could be heat related. Is your unit well ventilated?

My unit is pretty well ventilated. It's in a cabinet but there's nothing on top of it so I would think it should be OK in that respect. Plus I don't have this problem except when streaming, and for that matter it only seems to occur when streaming Netflix as far as I can tell.

I can try unplugging the unit but that would mean I would have to get off my couch.
post #1619 of 4169
In reference to MKV files that DO play...does the 220 support 24p MKV playback or no. I thought the Sony might be the player I was looking for, but this 24p issues is holding me up now.
post #1620 of 4169
I have the 220 connected to my wireless network (for now--planning to add a wired connection).

I have a MyBook connected via USB to the router providing NAS.

In one directory I have about 150 movies in MP4 format. When I connected to the DLNA server and went through the file menu to the correct folder, all I could see was 45 titles. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of files that the BDT220 can see in a specific directory?

Sorry if this has been addressed, didn't find it via quick search.

On a side note, my observations:

Everything about this unit is slow, but it does seem to work for the most part. Loading a disk is slow. Connecting to the network is ok, but then displaying internet information is slow. Can't wait to get my HTPC built for all network applications. Note, this is just my impression, I have not compared the performance to other units.

Additionally, my wireless network connection works intermittently. Sometimes it sees my NAS, sometimes it doesn't. I'm going to read this thread because I suspect answers to my questions may be buried in 50 plus pages. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 Owners Thread