or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports › Technics linear tracking turntable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Technics linear tracking turntable.

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi, I'm thinking of digging an old Technics linear tracking turntable out of storage. Model SL QL 15. I'm wondering if the cartridge would need replacing? Do cartridges have a finite life?

Thanks
post #2 of 16
I would, if you do not remember how long ago it was changed, same with the belt if it has one.
post #3 of 16
Hello,

I have the same turntable, purchased back in the early 80's. I had it in storage from 1990 or so until last year when I decided to give it a spin and see how it sounded. I took it to a local shop and had them look it over....everything was fine except the old cartridge. The person recommended this Ortofon as a replacement.......so I had him install it.

Ortofon OMP10 P-Mount Phono Cartridge

I have been using it ever since and it sounds great!

Good luck.

MNSACD
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thx for your replies.
I unpacked and gave it a spin. Sounds good. I need to turn the volume up considerably louder than other components, is that to be expected/normal? The tone arm mechanisim seems to have an issue though. I can raise it and move it left and right via the botton controls however there's a problem in that it won't track while playing an album. It'll play/track for a couple of minutes, reach it's range of movement then no more! The whole tonearm assembaly dosen't seem to move while playing?
Any thoughts?

Thank-you
post #5 of 16
Probably needs to be pulled, and regreased.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Probably needs to be pulled, and regreased.

Ok, I was actually wondering about trying to grease it where I could.
Pulled? May you please explain what that is?

THX
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby00003 View Post


Ok, I was actually wondering about trying to grease it where I could.
Pulled? May you please explain what that is?

THX

Try to find a service manual. Linear trackers usually require tuning after being long out of service. It took me several hours to recalibrate tonearm control in my Pioneer table. It might require some measuring instruments to do the job. For some tasks I had to use DSO oscilloscope. Can't imagine how technicians worked without it 30 years ago.
post #8 of 16
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi, Got it working.
I took it apart somewhat, reversed a small belt that was slightly kinked from sitting so long. Made a small adjustment elsewhere relating to a optical sensor. It'd be too difficult for me to explain. Anyways I do believe I'll enjoy some of my old vinyl from time to time, sounds good. I think I need to be carefull about my subwoofer volume though!

Thanks again for the replies.

cheers
post #10 of 16
Great turntable... have had mine for years and years and it works as good today as the day I bought it new years and years ago
post #11 of 16
I also have a tech linear tracking turntable, purchased in summer of 1983. I have not played it in over 8 years...did replace the cartridge a few years before that. I really liked how it was programmable to play only the songs you wanted to hear on each side.
I need to dust it off and see how it sounds, yet not this weekend.
post #12 of 16
I just bought a sharp rp-113 linear tracker. It was new in the box circa 1984. The belt was a pile of sticky goo in there. some alcohol and q-tips fixed that up, but my new belt has not got here yet. My question has to do with noise from the arm. It moves when I angle the arm as it should, but the first time turning it on it made a thump, and then some rhythmic motor noises. After letting it reset itself and moving it several times the noise has evened out to a dull thumping as the arm moves. Is this normal? do all linear trackers do this? Or is my somewhat low end model just worse than most? I'm hoping that when my replacement belt gets here that the noise is not transferred through the pickups. I will more than likely take it apart and see about lubrication as well, but I am not sure what oil to use. any suggestions?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdHerd View Post

I just bought a sharp rp-113 linear tracker. It was new in the box circa 1984. The belt was a pile of sticky goo in there. some alcohol and q-tips fixed that up, but my new belt has not got here yet. My question has to do with noise from the arm. It moves when I angle the arm as it should, but the first time turning it on it made a thump, and then some rhythmic motor noises. After letting it reset itself and moving it several times the noise has evened out to a dull thumping as the arm moves. Is this normal? do all linear trackers do this? Or is my somewhat low end model just worse than most? I'm hoping that when my replacement belt gets here that the noise is not transferred through the pickups. I will more than likely take it apart and see about lubrication as well, but I am not sure what oil to use. any suggestions?

If it was not used for many years, it is possible that some plastic mechanical components lost their shape. Some units are better than others. But all the time if someone decides to buy a vintage unit, I recommend only look at top models. They are usually designed much better mechanically than lower end devices.
post #14 of 16
it's tough to find much info on this one, even vinylengine does not have any data on it that I could find. I think it is normal noise, I remember my tape decks from the era and how loud the motors and buttons were. I actually like it, it's nostalgic. I think as linear tracking tables go this one is midgrade. Sharp is not known to me as a major brand in turntables for sure, but to make a linear tracking table takes a large company with a big r and d budget.. It seems solid and well put together otherwise, t has an audio technica cart, and the steel table moves well.

what s the preferred lubricant for turntable gears/spindles ? would 3 in 1 oil do? or is there a certain oil that is better?
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdHerd View Post

it's tough to find much info on this one, even vinylengine does not have any data on it that I could find. I think it is normal noise, I remember my tape decks from the era and how loud the motors and buttons were. I actually like it, it's nostalgic. I think as linear tracking tables go this one is midgrade. Sharp is not known to me as a major brand in turntables for sure, but to make a linear tracking table takes a large company with a big r and d budget.. It seems solid and well put together otherwise, t has an audio technica cart, and the steel table moves well.

what s the preferred lubricant for turntable gears/spindles ? would 3 in 1 oil do? or is there a certain oil that is better?

For gears - lithium grease. 0w20 motor oil for bearings.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdHerd View Post

it's tough to find much info on this one, even vinylengine does not have any data on it that I could find. I think it is normal noise, I remember my tape decks from the era and how loud the motors and buttons were. I actually like it, it's nostalgic. I think as linear tracking tables go this one is midgrade. Sharp is not known to me as a major brand in turntables for sure, but to make a linear tracking table takes a large company with a big r and d budget.. It seems solid and well put together otherwise, t has an audio technica cart, and the steel table moves well.

what s the preferred lubricant for turntable gears/spindles ? would 3 in 1 oil do? or is there a certain oil that is better?

For gears - lithium grease. 0w20 motor oil for bearings.

Potentially good stuff.

Often what you remove in the way of tired old lube is at least as important as what you add back in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports › Technics linear tracking turntable.