or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cheap Bookshelf Speakers??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheap Bookshelf Speakers??

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
I have some old JBL bookshelf speakers that crapped out on me recently and I need a replacement. This is for a small 2.1 setup used exclusively for music in my living room.

I am looking for something around $150 or less. Thanks guys.
post #2 of 54
Thread Starter 
How are these??

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...psch-vb15-icon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882665152

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290202

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117405

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_4_2_Way.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...f_Speaker.html

http://www.jr.com/jbl/pe/JBL_ES10BK/

http://www.frys.com/product/5621851?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107R150...l?tp=186&avf=N

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=303-402

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=304-002

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=303-504
post #3 of 54
Thread Starter 
post #4 of 54
I for one, am too lazy to look at all of your list - I have a general
idea of what they are. However, add the Boston CS26 to you list,
and they are pretty good.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-Cherry/1.html
post #5 of 54
post #6 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Polk Monitor 30 ($119)
Polk Monitor 40 ($147)

Newegg has the newer version Monitor30 and Monitor40 for $100 and $150, respectively.
post #7 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I for one, am too lazy to look at all of your list - I have a general
idea of what they are. However, add the Boston CS26 to you list,
and they are pretty good.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-Cherry/1.html

Nice speaker but I don't want cherry unfortunately...
post #8 of 54
If you have a Fry's Electronics close by they have Polk RTi4 on sale for $99/pr right now.
http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/...alse&pagenum=5
post #9 of 54
Thread Starter 
post #10 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

If you have a Fry's Electronics close by they have Polk RTi4 on sale for $99/pr right now.
http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/...alse&pagenum=5

I saw that. I do not have a Frys within 500 miles of me...
post #11 of 54
These used speakers might interest you too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IF-YOUR-MUSI...item1e6af0ad2e

It has a 6.5" woofer and 3/4" tweeter.
Frequency response: 45Hz – 20kHz
post #12 of 54
No cheap list would be complete without Pioneer BS-41's Or BIC DV62si, Sony SS-B3000 and the smaller B1000.
post #13 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiok View Post

No cheap list would be complete without Pioneer BS-41's Or BIC DV62si, Sony SS-B3000 and the smaller B1000.

Oh my list included the first two. No Sony speakers will ever make it on to any speaker list for me though...
post #14 of 54
Thread Starter 
Ok. I am ready buy. Which ones?
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoGT1 View Post

Ok. I am ready buy. Which ones?

2 of the Pioneer C21, and stand them straight up
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117404
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

2 of the Pioneer C21, and stand them straight up
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117404

...and get two of these for your speaker stands

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-631

use these as isolators:

http://meniscusaudio.com/bvd-feet-p-744.html

A l'il over your budget but maxi cool.
post #17 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

2 of the Pioneer C21, and stand them straight up
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117404

Would that be better than the Polk Monitor40 which is essentially the same setup but actually designed to be a bookshelf??

It appears Crutchfield has the Infinity P152 for $150/pair. I have the P252 in my theater setup in my basement and like those a lot. Not sure I want almost the same speaker in each room though. That is boring...haha
post #18 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post

...and get two of these for your speaker stands

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-631

A l'il over your budget but maxi cool.

I like where your head is at but not really what I am looking for. I have a sub that is plenty for the setup and the speakers will be on a console table, no stand needed.
post #19 of 54
Thread Starter 
How about Dayton Audio B652 speakers? $40 seems hard to pass up given my experience with the SUB-120 and its tremendous value.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoGT1 View Post

Would that be better than the Polk Monitor40 which is essentially the same setup but actually designed to be a bookshelf??

It appears Crutchfield has the Infinity P152 for $150/pair. I have the P252 in my theater setup in my basement and like those a lot. Not sure I want almost the same speaker in each room though. That is boring...haha

The P162's are $150 at Crutchfield after a $20 coupon.
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoGT1 View Post

Would that be better than the Polk Monitor40 which is essentially the same setup but actually designed to be a bookshelf??

The designer stated that the Pioneer, could double as a bookshelf speaker.
I prefer Pioneer over Polk - your decision.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoGT1 View Post

How about Dayton Audio B652 speakers? $40 seems hard to pass up given my experience with the SUB-120 and its tremendous value.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652

Sure buy the B652s and add a SUB-120 for your speaker stands......all for less than $150.
post #23 of 54
I thought I would add these to the list of suggestions. Cerwin Vega VE-5m. I own several pair of these. They do a very good job by themselves in a 2.0 system despite their small size. Very impressive bass. Used along with a subwoofer they do very well as mains in a smaller room and do very well as surrounds.
http://www.a1components.com/Products...__CER1004.aspx

They also rated well in a bookshelf speaker shoot out.
http://bookshelf-speakers-review.top...rs-review.html
post #24 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post

Sure buy the B652s and add a SUB-120 for your speaker stands......all for less than $150.

I already have a sub for the setup. Now, the B652's have 40 rms and 75 peak power ratings. The Sony receiver it will be connected to is 100 watts/channel. Is that a problem?
post #25 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I thought I would add these to the list of suggestions. Cerwin Vega VE-5m. I own several pair of these. They do a very good job by themselves in a 2.0 system despite their small size. Very impressive bass. Used along with a subwoofer they do very well as mains in a smaller room and do very well as surrounds.
http://www.a1components.com/Products...__CER1004.aspx

They also rated well in a bookshelf speaker shoot out.
http://bookshelf-speakers-review.top...rs-review.html

They were on my original list. I just haven't heard Vegas in years. Back when Best Buy used to carry them.
post #26 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

The P162's are $150 at Crutchfield after a $20 coupon.

What coupon?
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoGT1 View Post

I already have a sub for the setup. Now, the B652's have 40 rms and 75 peak power ratings. The Sony receiver it will be connected to is 100 watts/channel. Is that a problem?

Two watts is conversation level, ten to fifteen watts is plenty loud, anything beyond that is dynamics.

Further reading (especially How important is an all channels driven power measurement) :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294455
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoGT1 View Post

I already have a sub for the setup. Now, the B652's have 40 rms and 75 peak power ratings. The Sony receiver it will be connected to is 100 watts/channel. Is that a problem?

No, it wont be a problem. Sony receivers never test bench at their rated power anyway. The actual power will be a lot less.
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoGT1 View Post

I have some old JBL bookshelf speakers that crapped out on me recently and I need a replacement. This is for a small 2.1 setup used exclusively for music in my living room.

I am looking for something around $150 or less. Thanks guys.

Definitely look at the Pioneers...just IMHO

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21674015

Brian
post #30 of 54
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00018...9883144&sr=8-1

These speakers are very good and less than $130 for the pair.these would be especially good if u don't have a seperate subwoofer since these have 8" bass units but they are nice either way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Cheap Bookshelf Speakers??