or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXEH6000 Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNXXEH6000 Owners' Thread - Page 84

post #2491 of 2546
Just a quick update: the Samsung email from a CSR said they don't have the 1022 firmware and that I had to set up a service call and bring my set to a technician, which I found to be unacceptable--not going to ask my parents to lug around a 60" TV for something as simple as a firmware update. So I started a chat via the Samsung website and at first they tried to claim that 1012 is the latest firmware (untrue, especially since it messes up the ability to turn off smooth motion), and now are saying to do a factory reset which I know only resets the menu values, not the firmware.

Why is it so hard for them to update the website with firmware 1022???
post #2492 of 2546
Samsung support is often very frustrating. Sounds like you happened to get some exceptionally stupid people. Try calling them.
post #2493 of 2546
I need some help fine tuning my calibrations. Can someone tell me what settings would get rid of this effect? The screen cap makes it look worse than it actually is, but hopefully you can see how the image isn't smooth, having this kind of wavy/rippley effect. My calibration settings are pretty close to some that were posted earlier, but I can't remember whose.

post #2494 of 2546
Welcome to the world of horrible gradient color banding. I have the same issue and all of the settings I tried, didn't fix it. Setting brightness below 40 helps, but at that point, it's too dark. IMHO anyway. Drives me nuts. I'm on my 3rd service ticket with Samsung. They already replaced the panel and I still have the issue. If it's new, I'd exchange it for a new one or a different model.This panel roulette game is unbeliveable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnesper View Post

I need some help fine tuning my calibrations. Can someone tell me what settings would get rid of this effect? The screen cap makes it look worse than it actually is, but hopefully you can see how the image isn't smooth, having this kind of wavy/rippley effect. My calibration settings are pretty close to some that were posted earlier, but I can't remember whose.

post #2495 of 2546
Isn't the banding a source issue?
post #2496 of 2546
Possiby, I'm not sure. But I had it when I was using a Comcast DVR, I changed providers and also have it on my Verizon DVR. It happens on all of the different shows and channels. I also have it on my Panasonic bluray player while streaming from amazon and Netflix. I guess a true test is the bluray player with a good test disk. Oddly enough, I asked the tech when he came to do just that, but he relied on the internal pattern generater, which doesn't have a gradient test pattern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post

Isn't the banding a source issue?
post #2497 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BopperG View Post

Possiby, I'm not sure. But I had it when I was using a Comcast DVR, I changed providers and also have it on my Verizon DVR. It happens on all of the different shows and channels. I also have it on my Panasonic bluray player while streaming from amazon and Netflix. I guess a true test is the bluray player with a good test disk. Oddly enough, I asked the tech when he came to do just that, but he relied on the internal pattern generater, which doesn't have a gradient test pattern.

Try these Cnet Settings:
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19410_102-5320037.html

I get some of the blocking artifacts when viewing dark scenes but I attribute that to the source. I have Verizon Fios and in my opinion it performs better than the Bright House video in my area.
The blocking artifacts I have noticed has been when I was streaming Amazon. Most notably " Vikings"
Try those Cnet settings then adjust to your taste. I think they provide some pretty accurate color results by my eye.
post #2498 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post

Wish I had read this thread before doing the firmware update on my parents' new UN65EH6000 - like others in this thread it allowed me to go from 1022 to 1012. I have been scouring the web and can't find the 1022 firmware.

Some obvious changes:
  • Backlight adjustment now seems to do nothing (in 1022 it had a visible effect)
  • Motion enhancer/120hz can't seem to be disabled. I've gone to Movie Mode and turned off Auto Motion Plus and LED Motion Plus. Still has that surreal non-24fps look to it. I even tried Auto Motion Plus to Custom and setting the separate adjustments to 0 and it still has the 120fps effect.
  • LED Motion plus, when I used to toggle it it visibly dimmed the picture in 1022, now it doesn't do anything visible to the naked eye.

As others have said, it's really stupid that it lets you go to an older firmware. I thought at first maybe the numbering was just funky (being the first Samsung I've ever worked with), but nope. Luckily my parents aren't discerning and probably won't notice or care that the motion enhancer effect is always on, but it bugs me when I see it.

Hi CarlosM

Yes, this exact thing happen to me.

COMPLETELY LUDICROUS. i know many hardware developers and they all said it is almost impossible for a device to let you "upgrade" firmware to a lower number.

This was a fail on Samsung's part.

i spoke for an hour on the phone with them. I told them, all that is needed is for them to just upload  ANY later firmware to their website or email it to me.

that would save them HUNDREDS of dollars in tech fees they would have to pay for warranty work.

 

at first the lady told me she was emailing it to me, and kept asking me if i got it yet... in reality she wasnt emailing it.. she was just killing time on the phone.

 

she then put me through to level 2 tech. at which time the guy told me they dont have a 1022 firmware they can provide.. and my only option was to return the tv to amazon, or have a tech come out under warrant.

i told them that would end up costing them hundreds of dollars when all they need to do was just get that version of firmware.. from WHEREVER and WHOEVER wrote it.. and email it.

 

he said they couldnt. and didnt know when the website would be updated with any new firmware.

 

im assuming they WONT update the website unless many people put in the old firmware then call and complain that settings like you mention, dont work.

but i feel that they abandoned this set already for support becuase theh firmware on the web was june of 2012. its now jan 2014... there was MANY new firmware version since then, but none updated on their website.

 

 

i will call them again and explain it to them.

if they wont or CANT send or update to th elatest firmware, then ill make them send out a service tech.

 

the tech will mostl likely replace the processor board with a firmware NEWER then 1012. or at least, a 1012 where we can get our settngs to actually work.

 

 

shoot me a direct message if you get any headway with them. im going to call them tonight and if they cant get me firmware then i will make them spend $ on a tech to replace the board since its brand new and still under warranty

post #2499 of 2546
I noticed that our TVs have the 3.5mm exlink port on the back that should/could allow control/communication using serial. Has anyone played with this? We might be able to dump and flash the firmware via that console.
post #2500 of 2546
What was the point in doing the update/backdate in the first place?
post #2501 of 2546
I'd say for most technically minded users performing a firmware update is one of the first things you do when you get a new product. Nobody here intended to downgrade their firmware, they just downloaded the latest firmware available online and followed the flash procedure assuming that as the "update" worked, the online firmware was newer (which is a reasonable assumption!). Fortunately I checked the firmware version on the TV before upgrading but others here weren't so lucky.
post #2502 of 2546
Whats the latest firmware version?
post #2503 of 2546
T-MX9FAUSC-1022.0
post #2504 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post

T-MX9FAUSC-1022.0
Thank you, sir.
post #2505 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post

I noticed that our TVs have the 3.5mm exlink port on the back that should/could allow control/communication using serial. Has anyone played with this? We might be able to dump and flash the firmware via that console.


if this is true, and someone on here can get a 1022 firmware... it was GREATLY help many of us.

Heck, ill put $25 in the pot for anyone that can do it.

post #2506 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by loueber View Post

Hi CarlosM
Yes, this exact thing happen to me.
COMPLETELY LUDICROUS. i know many hardware developers and they all said it is almost impossible for a device to let you "upgrade" firmware to a lower number.
This was a fail on Samsung's part.
i spoke for an hour on the phone with them. I told them, all that is needed is for them to just upload  ANY later firmware to their website or email it to me.
that would save them HUNDREDS of dollars in tech fees they would have to pay for warranty work.

at first the lady told me she was emailing it to me, and kept asking me if i got it yet... in reality she wasnt emailing it.. she was just killing time on the phone.

she then put me through to level 2 tech. at which time the guy told me they dont have a 1022 firmware they can provide.. and my only option was to return the tv to amazon, or have a tech come out under warrant.
i told them that would end up costing them hundreds of dollars when all they need to do was just get that version of firmware.. from WHEREVER and WHOEVER wrote it.. and email it.

he said they couldnt. and didnt know when the website would be updated with any new firmware.

im assuming they WONT update the website unless many people put in the old firmware then call and complain that settings like you mention, dont work.
but i feel that they abandoned this set already for support becuase theh firmware on the web was june of 2012. its now jan 2014... there was MANY new firmware version since then, but none updated on their website.


i will call them again and explain it to them.
if they wont or CANT send or update to th elatest firmware, then ill make them send out a service tech.

the tech will mostl likely replace the processor board with a firmware NEWER then 1012. or at least, a 1012 where we can get our settngs to actually work.


shoot me a direct message if you get any headway with them. im going to call them tonight and if they cant get me firmware then i will make them spend $ on a tech to replace the board since its brand new and still under warranty

louber,
I am attaching a pic of my 1022 Firmware screen if you would like to copy it for Samsung. I just purchased this TV the end of November. Here is the proof that there is a 1022 Firmware version. This is just for any Samsung Tech that will tell you there is no 1022 firmware.
SamsungFirmware1022UNEH6000.jpg 3209k .jpg file
Edited by david0406 - 1/18/14 at 4:27am
post #2507 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post

I'd say for most technically minded users performing a firmware update is one of the first things you do when you get a new product. Nobody here intended to downgrade their firmware, they just downloaded the latest firmware available online and followed the flash procedure assuming that as the "update" worked, the online firmware was newer (which is a reasonable assumption!). Fortunately I checked the firmware version on the TV before upgrading but others here weren't so lucky.
This is exactly what happened to me. I was trying to be helpful to my parents who bought the set, and when I saw that the firmware prompt was available on the TV, even though the number 1012 was lower than 1022, I thought "well no right-minded programmer would ever let someone downgrade firmware, maybe the numbering is messed up". Because I have updated firmware on dozens of things: Sony TVs, A/V receivers from multiple brands, Apple products (iPhone/iPad), Blu ray players from Oppo and Sony, Smart TVs from Sony and Sharp, computers that I built, Kindle, etc.

None of them ever allowed a firmware downgrade. I guess I was stupid for believing Samsung would have done their due diligence and followed standard industry practice in not allowing a firmware downgrade. Silly me.

Now unfortunately I'm 300 miles away from the TV and I don't visit them again for a few months. I was really hoping Samsung would follow through and just send me the 6MB file. That's literally all it is. My parents aren't the most technosavvy people on the planet, but they can open a 6MB email attachment, put it on a flash drive, stick it into their TV and follow an OSD. But no, Samsung is being extremely difficult about this. I don't even know why. Seriously, the 6MB file is somewhere in their tech division.

I will say this: I will be looking for a new TV within 12 months for myself. I also have two friends who will be buying big screens for the Super Bowl. Based on this experience I will steer them away from Samsung (I'm "the guy" they all talk to with regards to electronics purchasing recommendations).
post #2508 of 2546

awesome thank you!

post #2509 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post


This is exactly what happened to me. I was trying to be helpful to my parents who bought the set, and when I saw that the firmware prompt was available on the TV, even though the number 1012 was lower than 1022, I thought "well no right-minded programmer would ever let someone downgrade firmware, maybe the numbering is messed up". Because I have updated firmware on dozens of things: Sony TVs, A/V receivers from multiple brands, Apple products (iPhone/iPad), Blu ray players from Oppo and Sony, Smart TVs from Sony and Sharp, computers that I built, Kindle, etc.

None of them ever allowed a firmware downgrade. I guess I was stupid for believing Samsung would have done their due diligence and followed standard industry practice in not allowing a firmware downgrade. Silly me.

Now unfortunately I'm 300 miles away from the TV and I don't visit them again for a few months. I was really hoping Samsung would follow through and just send me the 6MB file. That's literally all it is. My parents aren't the most technosavvy people on the planet, but they can open a 6MB email attachment, put it on a flash drive, stick it into their TV and follow an OSD. But no, Samsung is being extremely difficult about this. I don't even know why. Seriously, the 6MB file is somewhere in their tech division.

I will say this: I will be looking for a new TV within 12 months for myself. I also have two friends who will be buying big screens for the Super Bowl. Based on this experience I will steer them away from Samsung (I'm "the guy" they all talk to with regards to electronics purchasing recommendations).

NO we were not stupid for installing an older firmware.

As you said its standard practice a device should not allow a downgrade with out at least notifying you its an older version.

Not only did the tv downgrade without telling you, it called it an UPGRADE!

i dont think i would NOT buy a smasung do to their idiocy... in todays market i look for best features, quality of the screen, and then warranty period.

i always also by some sort of extended warranty.. i got a square trade for mine. 3 yearss 80$

AND i will most definitely be getting a tech to come out on warranty to iether replace the board, update firmware or whatever they want to do as long as i get those features working again

post #2510 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BopperG View Post

An update ...I contacted Samsung support about my color banding issue. They sent out a tech who verified the issue and tried to fix my problem. I was surprised when the tech took the set apart. There are only 3 serviceable parts. A video input board (which was the 1st thing the tech replaced), a Main board and the panel itself. He replaced the panel with a new one (kudos for Samsung support to be well pre paired).The panel was brand new and had Samsung all over the box, so I'm pretty sure it was a Samsung panel and not a AU optic or other manufacturer. So.. replacing the panel makes my set just about brand new, but unfortunately, I still have the banding problem. At first I thought it was fixed but later realized when the tech went into the service menu, the sets reverts back to all of it's original picture settings, which are horrible but did reduced the banding to a tolerable level. When I readjusted my settings, the banding is back. I noticed the brightness setting makes the biggest difference. When it's below 40, I don't see the banding, but at that point it's way too dark. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but the banding is driving me nuts. I'll be contacting Samsung again and see what else they can do.

Another Update: I'll have to live with it. After 6 Samsung service tickets created and 3 visits from a tech, I give up. I've had the panel and the video board replaced and I still have the banding issue. Atleast when they replaced my board my TV now lists itself as a 65", before it said it was a UN55.
post #2511 of 2546
The banding issue is not a defect it's more of a bottom of the line model issue and panel issue or maybe just poor manufacturing by Samsung. I had the same issue purchased a UN65EH6000 from Amazon and yes when you calibrate the brightness all the way down it helps but as you stated and as I saw, who wants to watch the TV at that setting. Also as far as the 65 inch panel goes I don't think there is a lottery I think they all suffer from t he same issues, I had the YH-01 Panel. I purchased a Sony KDL65W850A. Sure it's like 1500 more than the Samsung but I sure got all my moneys worth. The TV probably comes as close to plasma blacks as you can get without sacrificing brightness or white purity and no flash lighting or color banding issue on default or calibrated settings. Anyhow sorry to hear about your frustration with the Sammy but considering you get 65 inches of TV for under $1000, I purchased mine for $970 it's not all bad.
Edited by bizznyc - 1/17/14 at 7:41am
post #2512 of 2546
If that is a picture of the sprint commercial that is funny cause that is when I noticed it the first time with the Sammy I returned.
post #2513 of 2546
Yep, the sprint commercial is the worst offender. I still have no idea what toast my goats mean, or whatever they are saying... biggrin.gif
post #2514 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BopperG View Post

Another Update: I'll have to live with it. After 6 Samsung service tickets created and 3 visits from a tech, I give up. I've had the panel and the video board replaced and I still have the banding issue. Atleast when they replaced my board my TV now lists itself as a 65", before it said it was a UN55.

You know, if I see color banding on a TV when viewing a digital feed from a cable company, I always assume that it is a problem with cable company bit-rate, not necessarily the TV, at first.

I would never accuse a TV of having color banding, unless I saw it on a well known good quality Blu-Ray or input form PC with known good source material.

I'd bet lots of money, that the color banding you are seeing, is because of the source, not the TV itself (unless you reproduced it with known- good source material).

Digital Cable HD broadcast bit-rate and image quality is crap 99% of the time. I wouldn't blame micro or macro-blocking on the TV either.
post #2515 of 2546
Can't speak for his TV but I tested mine on all content before I made the decision to return it. Banding, uniformity, back lighting issues on all content and it was my 3rd try with that model. All suffered from the same thing.
post #2516 of 2546
I noticed that turning on digital filter to high gets rid most of banding/posterization.
post #2517 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarfilg View Post

I noticed that turning on digital filter to high gets rid most of banding/posterization.
Digital noise filter???
post #2518 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post

Digital noise filter???

Ya. It does soft the image considerably but it does remove a lot of the posterization. Default setting is auto which basically means off from what I noticed. The high setting is the only one that seems to make an Iimpact.
post #2519 of 2546
As a brand new owner of a 65EH6000 for only a day, I wonder if I got a lemon. The unit's OTA reception is no good. It can only get 14 digital channels. And the weird part is that it cannot receive most of the higher powered local channels.

I have another older Samsung set UN46D6000. Side by side and use the same antenna cable, the older set can get 26 digital channels. I have swapped the cable a few times there is no difference.

Have I got a lemon or the EH6000 all have a low quality OTA digital receiver? The 65Eh6000 has a dead pixel too.
Edited by nav0239 - 1/26/14 at 1:44am
post #2520 of 2546
Anybody home?

Have you ever compared the tuner of this set to other TV's? If so, could you post the comparison, and help me decide if I should return my 65EH6000 or exchange for another unit.

Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXEH6000 Owners' Thread