or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXEH6000 Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNXXEH6000 Owners' Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

This EH-6000 doesn't use the 'ultra-clear panel' like its 2011 equivalent, right? how's the uniformity/any clouding and/or flashlighting? it's a S-PVA panel right? off-angle viewing still bad?

Here's a review. Says it now has "Clear Coat LCD Panel". That sounds glossy and reflective to me. But as long as you keep ambient light down in the room and also lower the LED back light for best black level it may give a decent picture.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...n55eh6000.html

The issue is this. The larger size you go (and thinner) with an LCD, the more likely the TV will have uniformity issues. think about it. You have a huge LCD panel and yest want it thin as tissue paper. If the panel has poor support, it can have uneven pressure applied to the panel and stress it in others. . a bit cause of flashlighting.

Personally. . . I'd rather have a 60" LCD panel at 2 1/2" to 3" thick. Then it might have enough support. Besides. . . TVs are viewed from the front.
post #62 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

The Samsung 55EH6000 is NOT full array . . . . it is EDGE lit.

Here's a review:

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...n55eh6000.html

Check your facts, that review is completely wrong. That's not even what the TV looks like. I linked and quoted an article earlier:

http://www.twice.com/article/481604-...e_For_2012.php
post #63 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Here's a review. Says it now has "Clear Coat LCD Panel". That sounds glossy and reflective to me. But as long as you keep ambient light down in the room and also lower the LED back light for best black level it may give a decent picture.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...n55eh6000.html

The issue is this. The larger size you go (and thinner) with an LCD, the more likely the TV will have uniformity issues. think about it. You have a huge LCD panel and yest want it thin as tissue paper. If the panel has poor support, it can have uneven pressure applied to the panel and stress it in others. . a bit cause of flashlighting.

Personally. . . I'd rather have a 60" LCD panel at 2 1/2" to 3" thick. Then it might have enough support. Besides. . . TVs are viewed from the front.

Again, that review is completely wrong. This TV IS 2 1/2" to 3" thick and it's NOT glossy.
post #64 of 2546
Hate to say it, but you're 100% completely wrong. Please read thru some of the press releases out there from Samsung. We were all caught by surprise, but they're battling to take out the CCFL market, and there is a reason why this set is 3.7" deep (instead of 1" like the edge lits). Its most certainly direct lit (aka full array) LED technology.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120413PD206.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Here's a review. Says it now has "Clear Coat LCD Panel". That sounds glossy and reflective to me. But as long as you keep ambient light down in the room and also lower the LED back light for best black level it may give a decent picture.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...n55eh6000.html

The issue is this. The larger size you go (and thinner) with an LCD, the more likely the TV will have uniformity issues. think about it. You have a huge LCD panel and yest want it thin as tissue paper. If the panel has poor support, it can have uneven pressure applied to the panel and stress it in others. . a bit cause of flashlighting.

Personally. . . I'd rather have a 60" LCD panel at 2 1/2" to 3" thick. Then it might have enough support. Besides. . . TVs are viewed from the front.
post #65 of 2546
That's Google for you.

Why is the model number the same as last year? At least some places online have it as both a 2011 and 2012 model. Confusing.

But I still would have to see it for myself. . . and that it is 2 1/2" to 3" thick, meaning also that the bezel isn't only 1" or less thick. That is the issue with most large LCD panels. No support for the heavy thing.
post #66 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

That's Google for you.

But I still would have to see it for myself. . . and that it is 2 1/2" to 3" thick.

I own the TV.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...6000&cp=1&lp=4
post #67 of 2546
Ok... thanks for the correct info. the "facts" are not always what you get on the internet.

This TV sounds like the sleeper of the year. I'd rather have nets apps on a BD player and not interested in 3D. If it looks as good as it sounds. . then Samsung finally did something right offering a full array LED in a mid price range.

A bit limited in inputs, but if you have an AVR no problem.


Going to Best Buy today to check it out.

Looks like a great find. . . but I don't need a new TV. . still.
post #68 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax53 View Post

I own the TV.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...6000&cp=1&lp=4

Says in the review that motion artifacts are present and if motion handling is turned of then jaggy edges? Have you noticed any of this? The cabinet looks sturdy. . . finally. This should prevent most shipping and handling issues from causing flashlighting and other LCD panel support problems.

Also, it states no digital audio output? Than means no DD5.1 from network TV shows and no DD5.1 pass through for DVD/Blu-ray playing. But for the money . . .
post #69 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Says in the review that motion artifacts are present and if motion handling is turned of then jaggy edges? Have you noticed any of this?

nope. and motion lighting, noise reduction, film mode are all off. clear motion is set to clear.
post #70 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Also, it states no digital audio output? Than means no DD5.1 from network TV shows and no DD5.1 pass through for DVD/Blu-ray playing. But for the money . . .

Can't confirm as I'm at work and can't look. I run everything through a receiver so I only have a single HDMI connection running to the TV and have the speakers shut off. Again, if you go to the actual source though:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...6000FXZA-specs

it says--

Inputs & Outputs
HDMI 2
Component 1
Composite (AV) 1
USB 2.0 1
Digital Audio (Optical) Yes
Audio Out Mini Jack Yes
RF In 1

...not sure if that is in or out, but I would assume IN.
post #71 of 2546
Ok , thanks.

Have you been in the service menu and can it be easily accessed for calibration? Does it even have a 2 point or 10 point calibration menu?
post #72 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Ok , thanks.

Have you been in the service menu and can it be easily accessed for calibration? Does it even have a 2 point or 10 point calibration menu?

I have not tried to get into the service menu. It has a white point calibration menu with the RGB offset and gain settings. No 10 point though (not in the regular menu anyway). I also don't have a calibrator and haven't been able to find any white point calibration settings that anyone has posted yet.
post #73 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax53 View Post

I have not tried to get into the service menu. It has a white point calibration menu with the RGB offset and gain settings. No 10 point though (not in the regular menu anyway). I also don't have a calibrator and haven't been able to find any white point calibration settings that anyone has posted yet.

Well, if you get the AVS HD709, or Disney WOW disc you could put up a gray scale and see if there is any "tint" to the gray scale steps. Any obvious tint could be tweaked a bit to see if it improves PQ.
post #74 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Well, if you get the AVS HD709, or Disney WOW disc you could put up a gray scale and see if there is any "tint" to the gray scale steps. Any obvious tint could be tweaked a bit to see if it improves PQ.

I do use AVS HD709 and depending on some other settings it does get a tint above 88-90 contrast. The TV does need a color calibration, I just don't have one
post #75 of 2546
@syntax53

can you output 1080p with pc to the eh6000 with both hdmi?

pixel mapping is 1:1?

how work this tv in 24hz for 24p movies?
post #76 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracnoz View Post

@syntax53

can you output 1080p with pc to the eh6000 with both hdmi?

pixel mapping is 1:1?

how work this tv in 24hz for 24p movies?

I do have an HTPC and yes the screen is displayed 1:1 on the TV. I don't know about 24p movies. Not sure how to test that. I did plan on doing the additional lag test that was requested, I've just been busy.
post #77 of 2546
Syntax53 Do you like the Tv? Does it do a pretty good job for a 2012 tv?
Good blacks? good color? no motion pixels? and will I get pretty close using
your settings on the previous page and be pretty happy with it? Thanks alot,
Im greatful for your help.....Mark
post #78 of 2546
does this backlit tv feature local dimming?
post #79 of 2546
I did additional lag tests (I took pictures with my DSLR at 1/2000th of a second speed), and took some screen uniformity shots. On the lag tests, make sure you aren't comparing big numbers to each other. Pay attention to the number on my laptop screen below the big number. The difference between those two is the lag. The "standard, clear" and "standard, off" are with the clear motion rate set to clear and off. It basically seems like all of the modes are the same. Also of note that game mode is basically an entirely new picture mode where you can set all independet picture settings such as backlight and stuff. Not sure if this is the same on all TVs. But I was able to adjust to the to look decent in game mode without messing up my regular modes.

As for screen uniformity, you'll notice that the corners on this set tend to be darker. Kind of the opposite of the edge-lit TVs. I rarely notice it watching regular TV. The picture on the bottom is the black level. This screen does shut the light off when it detects an all black image, but you'll notice the mouse of my laptop is still on the screen so it IS still lit up, but you can barely tell. The black level on the TV is very good.
LL
LL
post #80 of 2546
syntax53 - Thank you - can you do black level test in completely dark room and post higher res. pictures? And also make normal and like 5 second long exporuse(from stand) if possible.
post #81 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek_k View Post

syntax53 - Thank you - can you do black level test in completely dark room and post higher res. pictures? And also make normal and like 5 second long exporuse(from stand) if possible.

No.
post #82 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax53 View Post

I did additional lag tests (I took pictures with my DSLR at 1/2000th of a second speed), and took some screen uniformity shots. On the lag tests, make sure you aren't comparing big numbers to each other. Pay attention to the number on my laptop screen below the big number. The difference between those two is the lag. The "standard, clear" and "standard, off" are with the clear motion rate set to clear and off. It basically seems like all of the modes are the same. Also of note that game mode is basically an entirely new picture mode where you can set all independet picture settings such as backlight and stuff. Not sure if this is the same on all TVs. But I was able to adjust to the to look decent in game mode without messing up my regular modes.

As for screen uniformity, you'll notice that the corners on this set tend to be darker. Kind of the opposite of the edge-lit TVs. I rarely notice it watching regular TV. The picture on the bottom is the black level. This screen does shut the light off when it detects an all black image, but you'll notice the mouse of my laptop is still on the screen so it IS still lit up, but you can barely tell. The black level on the TV is very good.


Very good and practical pictures . . . . and now a good reference for this thread!

I noticed the same thing about just a tad less light in the corners and sides of the screen .. . as you said, kind of the opposite of an edge lit LED/LCD panel. Which pretty much verifies it is Direct Lit full array from behind. But it in no way detracts from very good picture quality with program material. If Samsung addresses that with adding a few more LEDs to the back light in , say, next years models. . . the back light uniformity would match TVs in the tier up. Also, as you indicated, the black level is outstanding for a TV in this price range.

I spent over an hour with the UN46EH6000 yesterday and went through the menu and various settings. Overall, Samsung should have a dynamite sales of this TV for those who want better than average picture quality for a mid priced TV. I have been waiting for an affordable full array LED TV for 3 years and this is a good start. I expect more to follow. And the lag times for gamers is very good even with various picture options engaged. Thanks for spending the time for such thorough test rounds.

I will be watching for a bit to see if owners find any serious picture issues such as banding, motion artifacts, etc. One review indicated there were some artifacts, but I did not see any in the store. In fact, the EH6000 looked better than the 6 other TV surrounding it at the BB I went to including several plasma TVs. And some of these TVs, including some 2011 Samsung models, cost $100 to $200 more. And the plasma TVs looked dull and lacked the good contrast ratio of the EH6000 even after toning down the store torch mode with remote settings. Of course I had no cal disc to do settings, but using Standard picture mode with back light, brightness and contrast turned down a very good picture and still brighter than most other TVs around it.

I think a full calibration or even using the AVS HD709 disc for Media Assisted Settings will make this TV look like a TV of much higher price range. I wonder if Chad B. might take a crack at this mid priced TV? Would be nice to see a pro calibration on it.

EDIT: While at the BB, the young sales associate that was with me did not believe this TV was Direct Lit full array LED as I and others did initially either. He cited that the Samsung website did not indicate it was. So, this remains a sleeper until the word gets out. He said the TV was "too light" and last years full array TVs were always heavy. I told him there was a lot of misinformation on the net about it and directed him to two of the articles including the Samsung press release. The sales associate could not believe this TV was full array for the price either. Kudos to Samsung for realizing in this economy, that people want decent picture quality without breaking the bank. As for net apps and other frill. . . . those are best left to low cost external devices anyway which offer more flexibility.
post #83 of 2546
How is motion blur?

I had Sammy d630,when watching hockey and players skating fast -the player went blurry/unclear.
post #84 of 2546
Thread Starter 
Just a reminder, guys, that televisioninfo.com actually preferred the picture quality of the EH5000 over that of the more expensive EH6000:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

For what it's worth.
post #85 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post

Just a reminder, guys, that televisioninfo.com actually preferred the picture quality of the EH5000 to that of the more expensive EH6000:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

For what it's worth.

True, but EH5000 isn't available in the larger sizes (only up to 46" from what I can tell on the sammy website). I also noticed a 6050 series which looks the same as the 6000 but with the touch of color (redish) frame.
post #86 of 2546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaeger View Post

True, but EH5000 isn't available in the larger sizes (only up to 46" from what I can tell on the sammy website). I also noticed a 6050 series which looks the same as the 6000 but with the touch of color (redish) frame.

The 6050 series is the big-box-store (Sam's Club, Costco, etc.) version of the 6000 series:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...2341&N=4047300
post #87 of 2546
Just took delivery of my UN60EH6000, i've only had 15min with it but so far i'm very impressed. Here's some quick shots of the set and my setup. The screen is definitely not perfectly matte, but its no super glossy either, its somewhere in between (keep in mind I have windows all along the side of my living room and I didn't even bother closing the blinds. Screen uniformity looks reasonable to me so far in the daylight, i'll run some more tests and WOW calibrations later tonight. Definitely was surprised at how small the box turned out to be (The other brown box in the shot is the Sharp LC70LE632U thats going back to sears)

If anyone wants me to measure anything or take specific images please let me know and i'll be glad to oblige. I finally think after multiple TVs and returns this EH6000 direct-lit LED is going to meet my standards!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #88 of 2546
Does anyone seem to have a problem with the HDMI ports being on the side?
post #89 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by surma884 View Post

Does anyone seem to have a problem with the HDMI ports being on the side?

I was worried about this too, but since they're recessed in quite a bit from the edge of the TV, being on the side isn't a problem (aka wires not hanging out the side etc). I can take a picture of that later tonight if you want.
post #90 of 2546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaeger View Post

Just took delivery of my UN60EH6000, i've only had 15min with it but so far i'm very impressed. Here's some quick shots of the set and my setup. The screen is definitely not perfectly matte, but its no super glossy either, its somewhere in between (keep in mind I have windows all along the side of my living room and I didn't even bother closing the blinds. Screen uniformity looks reasonable to me so far in the daylight, i'll run some more tests and WOW calibrations later tonight. Definitely was surprised at how small the box turned out to be (The other brown box in the shot is the Sharp LC70LE632U thats going back to sears)

If anyone wants me to measure anything or take specific images please let me know and i'll be glad to oblige. I finally think after multiple TVs and returns this EH6000 direct-lit LED is going to meet my standards!

So far, I've read very little--if any--dissatisfaction with these new EH TVs (5000, 5300, or 6000). I'll be very interested in your impressions once you've spent some time testing and viewing it.

Incidentally, I just noticed that David Katmaier recently posted a column on CNET advocating for more "dumb" TV models:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...carouselMain.0

Looks like Samsung may be ahead of the curve with the EH5000 and EH6000 series.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNXXEH6000 Owners' Thread