or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › ST1080 1080p Head Mounted Display Pre-orders starting March 1st w/ $100 Discount
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ST1080 1080p Head Mounted Display Pre-orders starting March 1st w/ $100 Discount - Page 6

post #151 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post

Regarding difference in perceived pop-out: according to my back-of-napkin diagrams, 3d effects (depth and pop-out) increase with the interocular distance for the HMD's (a separate screen for each eye, converging on a virtual screen), while decreasing for a real single screen. So if you have wider eyes, you see better 3d with an HMD. I wonder how the adjustments of the HMD's (does the HMZ have that?) affect this.

So, for the average interocular distance, which is a fixed number, the 3D popout is lesser on an HMD than it is for a larger screen is what that formula amounts to.
post #152 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Correct.

At least a few of us here have received shipping notices, including me, so it shouldn't be very much longer.

Paul

My shipping date got pushed back until Friday this week instead of Friday last week. Paul, your pre-order was on March 1 and mine was on March 6 so it is fitting that my shipment would be later.

I cannot image how long it would take the people who would order it now. Unless they increase their production, it would be quite a long time for the people who order this unit today to receive it.
post #153 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey120 View Post

I have modded my HMZ so that it doesn't touch my nose with any weight , any pressure more than, say active 3D glasses would be unbearable for me for more than 30 minutes .

You know every time I see HMZ mentioned I can't help but remember the nickname Veda gave it:

HEADCRAB.

It just cracks me up every time. Headcrab.
post #154 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonf5 View Post

So, for the average interocular distance, which is a fixed number, the 3D popout is lesser on an HMD than it is for a larger screen is what that formula amounts to.

I expect it should be the same or very similar for identical FOV, as both setups should be designed for the average interocular distance. It is for the variations from the average where the HMD's diverge from the screen setup.
post #155 of 381
I've had a few hours to use my ST1080!
It is a mixed bag, though. Here are some random observations:
The 3D effect is some of the best I've seen, compaired to DLP TV and movie theaters. No ghosting at all. It is close to watching movies on a 100 inch screen.
The glasses are fairly comfortable but does start to hurt the nose after awhile. This can be fixed by lifting the glasses off the nose slightly to give the nose a break. (Small and large nose pieces are included for your comfort)
My set does have blurring on some of the edges. The bottom portion is clear , blurring starts up about a quarter of the way from the bottom and stays mainly on the edges and along the top. If I tilt the glasses up slightly it will clear up enough to read text, etc.

There is also some type of light bleed, more pronounced on the each side of the screens. It is caused by the internal optics, not from external sources. Best way I can describe it is if you were looking at a DLP Projection TV with brightness turned up too much. It can be distracting, especially on movies that are filmed in dark settings, such as Underworld: Awakening. "Brighter" movies have the same effect but not as noticeable. This bleed effect moves vertically slightly when making changing to the Pupil Adjustment.

The control menue is very limited. You can control brightness (I have it as low as it will go) right and left flicker adjustment, 3D effect (Frame-Packed, Side-by-Side and Top-Bottom) and that is it. No color, contrast or gamma settings. The controller gets very warm when in use.

I've only messed with the unit on the PC for a short time. The edge and top blurryness makes text difficult to read in those areas. Outside those areas, the text is clear and sharp. The glasses work fine in 3D with PowerDvd 12 The glasses are not currently supported for gaming with Nvidia 3D. Hopefully that will change soon. I haven't tried YouTube in 3D yet but will within the next day or so.

The only game I've tried in 3D is Crysis 2 as it has its' own built in 3D. It works extremely well but the edge blur I mentioned earlier does effect the game HUD slightly.

As mentioned in earlier posts, no built in scaling. 720p will be smaller in screen but watchable.

That is it for now. Hopefully this "stream of conciousness" review will be helpful to some of you.
post #156 of 381
thanks for the impressions!

Did you also connect the rear support strap to your glasses when you used it?

Did you notice a decent pop-out effect in the 3d movies that you watched?

Do you also have a Sony HMZ-T1 to compare it to?

Dissappointing to hear that the blurry corner issue is present.
post #157 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer View Post

thanks for the impressions!

Did you also connect the rear support strap to your glasses when you used it?

Did you notice a decent pop-out effect in the 3d movies that you watched?

Do you also have a Sony HMZ-T1 to compare it to?

Dissappointing to hear that the blurry corner issue is present.


1. Yes, I have the strap connected. Doesn't really help relieve pressure on my nose, though.
2. 3D pop out effect is there. Watched portions of Avatar, Tangled, Dispicable Me, Monters Vs. Aliens. All 3D effects were excellent.
3. Sorry, don't own nor have access to the Sony HMZ-T1
..
Blurry edges are no fun. Wierd part is, it only affects the top corners. I'm typing this using the ST1080 in Windows 7. the task bar on the bottom of my screen is clear, edge to edge. No blur.

Also, just tried a few videos, side by side on youtube 3D. Looks good.
post #158 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post

I've had a few hours to use my ST1080!
It is a mixed bag, though. Here are some random observations:
The 3D effect is some of the best I've seen, compaired to DLP TV and movie theaters. No ghosting at all. It is close to watching movies on a 100 inch screen.
The glasses are fairly comfortable but does start to hurt the nose after awhile. This can be fixed by lifting the glasses off the nose slightly to give the nose a break. (Small and large nose pieces are included for your comfort)
My set does have blurring on some of the edges. The bottom portion is clear , blurring starts up about a quarter of the way from the bottom and stays mainly on the edges and along the top. If I tilt the glasses up slightly it will clear up enough to read text, etc.

There is also some type of light bleed, more pronounced on the each side of the screens. It is caused by the internal optics, not from external sources. Best way I can describe it is if you were looking at a DLP Projection TV with brightness turned up too much. It can be distracting, especially on movies that are filmed in dark settings, such as Underworld: Awakening. "Brighter" movies have the same effect but not as noticeable. This bleed effect moves vertically slightly when making changing to the Pupil Adjustment.

The control menue is very limited. You can control brightness (I have it as low as it will go) right and left flicker adjustment, 3D effect (Frame-Packed, Side-by-Side and Top-Bottom) and that is it. No color, contrast or gamma settings. The controller gets very warm when in use.

I've only messed with the unit on the PC for a short time. The edge and top blurryness makes text difficult to read in those areas. Outside those areas, the text is clear and sharp. The glasses work fine in 3D with PowerDvd 12 The glasses are not currently supported for gaming with Nvidia 3D. Hopefully that will change soon. I haven't tried YouTube in 3D yet but will within the next day or so.

The only game I've tried in 3D is Crysis 2 as it has its' own built in 3D. It works extremely well but the edge blur I mentioned earlier does effect the game HUD slightly.

As mentioned in earlier posts, no built in scaling. 720p will be smaller in screen but watchable.

That is it for now. Hopefully this "stream of conciousness" review will be helpful to some of you.

So does this mean that blurring is related to position of the glasses on your nose? Could it be different from face to face (lower/higher set ears)? Have you tried adjusting angle of glasses in relation to your face to see if blur can be eliminated? - as in making top of the glasses closer to your face. I suspect blurring is caused by lower part of screen being closer to you than upper.

Also, could you please draw a screen rectangle and map the blurry areas (and also map the light bleed) to give us an idea of how much of the screen is actually blurry. It's hard to get a clear idea from just words.

But the good news: it does seem like this thing really exists.
post #159 of 381
Does anyone else in tracking their shipment show a Status: "Handed over to Customs" Details: Customs retention reason: Other

Is it such a new technology that their going to mess with it to figure it out?
post #160 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Does anyone else in tracking their shipment show a Status: "Handed over to Customs" Details: Customs retention reason: Other

Is it such a new technology that their going to mess with it to figure it out?

Not quite... the customs guys like watching movies in 3D too... and they have breaks... so give em some time...
post #161 of 381
I bought my HMZ in the US and brought it on the plane as carry-on. Going through security was halarious as the officers wanted to know every thing about it - not on a safety side of things however simply because they thought it was the coolest piece of electronics!
post #162 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Does anyone else in tracking their shipment show a Status: "Handed over to Customs" Details: Customs retention reason: Other

Is it such a new technology that their going to mess with it to figure it out?

My package had also gone through U.S Customs. Fairly typical for imports to the United States.
post #163 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post

My package had also gone through U.S Customs. Fairly typical for imports to the United States.

Any additional impressions after your first 24hrs of owning the ST1080 you can share - might help me push the button lol! After my HMZ I want to ensure it is what I want - I loved the picture of the HMZ - the unit was just not practical for what I want to use it for...
post #164 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by space123321 View Post

Any additional impressions after your first 24hrs of owning the ST1080 you can share - might help me push the button lol! After my HMZ I want to ensure it is what I want - I loved the picture of the HMZ - the unit was just not practical for what I want to use it for...

Over-all, I like the ST1080. I've run into one thing that bothers me a little. I've posted this over on the SMD website:
=======================

I have a question for both The Game Veda and Jeffery or any other owner.
First my situation:
On my ST1080, I've noticed what I can best describe as opaque light on the right and left edges of the screen, extending to the lower corners. It is present no matter the brightness setting. It also moves slightly when moving the Pupil Distance Adjustment switches. The light is definitely internal to the unit and not from an external source. It almost appears to be light from the optics reflecting off of the edges of the Pupil Distance boxes (?) and back onto the screen.

The light is more pronounce on any movie or content that is filmed in dark setting, such as Underworld: Awakening. It washes out/blurs any detail on the right and left edges and on the lower left and right corners of the screen. It is present in brighter scenes as well but not as noticeable. The effect is very distracting and reduces the enjoyment of the movie watching experience.
Now my question:
Are either of you (or any other owner)Seeing something similar? Beyond the wierd lighting, the 3D effect is excellent and picture quality (minus the light blurring) is prettty good. I'm just trying to figure out if what I'm experiencing is normal for this product or if I have some kind of problem with the optics.
I've also sent an email to support for their input.
Thanks, in advance!
=====
On a side note, SMD has already release a firmware upgrade to correct a faint vertical line that appears on the left lense. Good sign that they are already correcting issues on the unit.
post #165 of 381
interesting. I'm really curious to hear more direct user comparisons between the HMZ and the ST1080 now. From what is being described it sounds like the optics in the HMZ may be better. I have no complaints about the picture quality of the HMZ other than my issue with unfocused sides. It sounds like the ST1080 is also suffering from focus problems dependent upon the User's facial structure so even if it got it my blurry sides issue may not get resolved.
post #166 of 381
The opaque light on the left and right sounds like the same thing that affects the hmz which is a shame. I think it is light reflecting off the sides of the lenses from the screens. Is destracting and takes you away from the illusion of not having the device on. One solution for the hmz is to open it up and paint the edges of the lenses with black paint. I have done this doesn't get rid of reflections though but helps. Best thing you can do really is use black tape to cover where you see this effect. Don'thave to stick on the lens just on the plastic from top to bottom crossing over the lens.


Sad to hear happens with this device as well.
post #167 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by longchop View Post

The opaque light on the left and right sounds like the same thing that affects the hmz which is a shame. I think it is light reflecting off the sides of the lenses from the screens. Is destracting and takes you away from the illusion of not having the device on. One solution for the hmz is to open it up and paint the edges of the lenses with black paint. I have done this doesn't get rid of reflections though but helps. Best thing you can do really is use black tape to cover where you see this effect. Don'thave to stick on the lens just on the plastic from top to bottom crossing over the lens.


Sad to hear happens with this device as well.

Reserving my opinions about the "opaque light" phenomena (noticed especially in dark scenes per CyberScott & corroborated by Jeffrey) until I can compare both models together. Still waiting for ST1080 delivery. It departed from U.S. Customs yesterday morning.

HMZs OLEDs have no "opaque light" emitted from the pixel display source, but it is possible for reflection of light with light-emitting-pixels making up the image (none in dark areas), to be reflected on the inside lens structure. It is not considered a problem-point for me when using the Sony but will be interesting to observe the difference when playing the same movie scenes.

Paul
post #168 of 381
Paul I'll be interested to hear your comparison when to you have both. I didn't mean the hmz had a problem with its display its a glow from the sides, light reflection from the lens which is away from the screens. Not really a problem like you say but makes you aware your not in big screen cinema as you get a sort of tunnel effect. So it hinders the illusion. I do have my head right in the hmz though no upper forehead attachment thing. Good for picture and sweetspot bad for internal reflection.

This sound like what cyberscott its describing.
post #169 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by longchop View Post

The opaque light on the left and right sounds like the same thing that affects the hmz which is a shame. I think it is light reflecting off the sides of the lenses from the screens. Is destracting and takes you away from the illusion of not having the device on. One solution for the hmz is to open it up and paint the edges of the lenses with black paint. I have done this doesn't get rid of reflections though but helps. Best thing you can do really is use black tape to cover where you see this effect. Don'thave to stick on the lens just on the plastic from top to bottom crossing over the lens.


Sad to hear happens with this device as well.

Here is a picture I've taken that shows the haze of light that I'm experiencing. This is from an early scene of the horror movie "Priest"

post #170 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post

Here is a picture I've taken that shows the haze of light that I'm experiencing. This is from an early scene of the horror movie "Priest"


Wow, that's pretty bad... I expected it to take no more than 1/10 9f the screen, this looks like 6/10th... wow...
post #171 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post

Here is a picture I've taken that shows the haze of light that I'm experiencing. This is from an early scene of the horror movie "Priest"


Just got my unit and I have to say that I agree with the above picture as being a pretty accurate example of the back-lighting effect though by no means does it prevent viewing a proper image that cannot be seen in the above picture. Haven't been able to get a total focus which seem to be very hard to accomplish.. The haze of light also seems to be a constant artifact on my particular ST1080, not just in dark scenes. IMO, the haze and focus of the optics prevents me from seeing any benefit yet, to 1080P resolution over the 720P resolution of the HMZ-T1 HMD.

If I remember correctly, the Sony HMZ-T1 HMD was much easier to setup for initial use. IMO, it always seems to produce a clear-bright-vibrant and colorful and pristine image. Slight movement is necessary at times to obtain total focus, but with less effort than the the ST1080 HMD. Comfort is always hard to get when using for long periods, though I haven't worn the ST1080 for a long time where I could get comfortable with it either.

Before I try to say more I really want others to post who also have both HMDs to correctly compare accurately and validly with experiences.

Paul
post #172 of 381
Paul, thanks for the comments. Sorry to hear about the focus issues. I was really hoping that the ST1080 would have better focus than the HMZ. If other reports from users of both hmds bear out your same findings then it looks like I will just be sticking with my HMZ.

Have you had a chance to check out any 3d movies yet? If so do you notice a difference in the 3d affect produced by the ST1080 than the HMZ?
post #173 of 381
Oh my god that picture really turnd me off the st now.. the light looks horrible
post #174 of 381
post #175 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Oh my god that picture really turnd me off the st now.. the light looks horrible

Do you even know what your looking at? I don't. Obviously it doesn't look like that during normal use i would assume.
post #176 of 381
If i know? Well i seen cloading, light bleed, poor backlight on led tvs for years so indeed i know what this is ... And This will indeed show under "normal" usage
post #177 of 381
i dont think st1080 will have much advantage over sony hmz only advantage i see it has over sony hmz is the 3d pop out and bigger FOV as per all the review i have read, so my take on this is wait for st1080p ver 2 with OLED screen or sony HMZ-t1 v2 with improve FOV, comfort and full 1080p per eyes.
post #178 of 381
Need to read more user reports on the st before making my mind up, can see this as a better gaming device vs the hmz-1
post #179 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

wait for st1080p ver 2 with OLED screen.

If a lot of people back off from "production" orders on this device based on its pre-order reviews, there wont be a v2 as lack of sales on the only product of a startup dont bode well for a company.

Also, Paul Jin and the main engineer in SMD have years of experience with LCoS, and started SMD based on this tech, so why would they switch to a completely different display tech for a v2 of a product whose v1 didnt even sell well.

Their LCoS experience is mentioned in the CES 2012 report on their product either on MTBS3D or the SMD site, I cant remember which.


Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

Sony HMZ-t1 v2 with improve FOV, comfort and full 1080p per eyes.

Might be a long wait, especially with the amount of returns and complaints Sony had and now with their financial issues, would they really revisit this product ?


IMO, the only option SMD has is to fix the light-bleed and focus issues right away and keep pre-order people happy so their +ve experiences will translate to future sales based on their updated reviews.
post #180 of 381
I must say that I'm really disappointed at the tone of the latest impressions that have come out on the ST1080. The first initial reports were much more favorable and I was really thinking that I might pick one up to go along with my HMZ-T1. I was hoping for a unit with better focus ability mainly. The added comfort level and 1080p resolution would have just been a bonus for me. Now the latest reports are indicating that getting a clearly focused screen is actually more difficult than on the HMZ. That along with the light bleed reports have really soured me on the ST right now. Still looking forward to reading additional impressions from people who have both units though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › ST1080 1080p Head Mounted Display Pre-orders starting March 1st w/ $100 Discount