or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › ST1080 1080p Head Mounted Display Pre-orders starting March 1st w/ $100 Discount
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ST1080 1080p Head Mounted Display Pre-orders starting March 1st w/ $100 Discount - Page 11

post #301 of 381
They confirmed straight out that the new units have had the quality check confirmed... they have been very honest in all issues. the issue is that we have only a couple positive reviews present - mostly negative which really sucks. I am really hoping to start seeing some postive reviews from those that receive the second batch. The grey issue is an issue that will not go away. The light bleed is an issue that will not go away with this tech - that being said some units see to be worse than others (hopefully the second batch this is not as much of an issue). The line of sight/bluriness issue has also been addressed however as Paul clearly states the HMD was desinged for the average consumer and may not work for everyone. Fingers crossed your second unit is an entirely different experience!
post #302 of 381
I just tried the white one, same problems as the black. Strange thing is, the white ones ear arms open a bit more than the black one so it wasn't as tight. The black one is tight and squeezes my head kinda hard as they don't open as much. I'd think they are all the same, but I guess not?!

I have read about the quality check and all, but still worried if I get new ones if they will be about the same. Still thinking what to do.

I do like this device, as it's portable and I could use it for travel or even connect it to my 3D camera and view 3D as I shoot.
post #303 of 381
46931827.jpg


Here is a photo of the white one I took with my iPhone. It shows Transformers being played in 3D and if you look at the top and side you can see it don't take up all the screen. Both edges have the white around them which was the projector effect I was speaking of. Even full screen movies have the effect.
post #304 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Here is a photo of the white one I took with my iPhone. It shows Transformers being played in 3D and if you look at the top and side you can see it don't take up all the screen. Both edges have the white around them which was the projector effect I was speaking of. Even full screen movies have the effect.

Bravia, unless your source is 720p, I don't think it should look like that. Yann Vernier put up an image on his blog that does not have those white borders -ST1080 display . Also, I know you're busy, but since you do a lot of HD recording, I was wondering if you could produce a video like this one GT5 on the HMZ-T1. I am not sure how hard it is to get the camera to focus in on the display, but if you could pull it off that would be great.
post #305 of 381
My source is forsure 1080p, have tried both black and white ST1080's on 3 different 3DBD players with same results.

This may sound weird, but there is an option pressing a mute button which turns off the volume and turns off the LED's also... I truly love the view when the LED's are off, the picture isn't bright but looks WAY better then when the LED's are on, blacks are almost pretty black, and using my light cover it actually looked alright. Not matching the HMZ but I prefer LED's off. Sadly with that option there is no sound so can't watch it that way. They should have an option in the menu to turn the LED's off but keep sound on, and be able to adjust colors, saturation and contrast and they may have a winner. Or find away to cut the LED's off on the sides but have the middle a bit bright.

tomin, I tried what you asked with my video cameras and the results were horrible. Imagine the Youtube video you posted but with a bright middle picture and blurry sides all washed up. It was crap looking.
Edited by bravia3D - 6/26/12 at 4:46am
post #306 of 381
didnt silicon optics test they product before making them? that picture looks horrible eek.gif
post #307 of 381
I have noticed a shameful trend here on AVS to encourage someone else to be the guinea pig and put their money on the line while everyone else holds tight to their wallet and waits for their review.

bravia3D, get a full refund on both of them and wait for another 6 months or maybe even 12 to see how their product pans out.
If the reviews are OK and everything has been ironed out by then, purchase it again.

If they are still having problems, remember that Sony & Panasonic have gotten together to push out OLED TV's to the masses so their is a chance they will come up with an answer to SMD by then, if there isn't some better 3D projection tech available at the same pricepoint by then.

The above advice is geared to what YOU should be doing for YOUR benefit.
Thats what I am doing and I believe its good advice for you as well.

As a side note, if you have a 5.1 dedicated speaker setup through an AVR, have your 3D BD player spit out SPDIF through your AVR to your speakers and use that for sound instead of the headphones on the SMD.
If you sit in the sweet spot, you can use the mute button to turn off the LEDs and this will still give you true positional sound.
post #308 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

tomin, I tried what you asked with my video cameras and the results were horrible. Imagine the Youtube video you posted but with a bright middle picture and blurry sides all washed up. It was crap looking.

Thanks bravia! That's plenty helpful. Hopefully the new sets resolve most of those issues and you get a new pair soon, if you choose that option.
post #309 of 381
Still waiting on Paul to reply again, I asked a few questions but no mail yet. Leaning towards a full refund and nikon your advice is good.
post #310 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Still waiting on Paul to reply again, I asked a few questions but no mail yet. Leaning towards a full refund and nikon your advice is good.

Maybe return one and keep one?
post #311 of 381
Nah, they both don't work that great. I can't see keeping one when the HMZ doe's the job better and looks better.
post #312 of 381
Hi Guy,

Below is the 2nd batch unit review for the SMD ST1080P and is review by brantlew from MTBS3D forum which u can refer to the link for more detail. Thanks
- http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14889&sid=97d4532db90305cceaf68c6ddc2e7b80&start=135

Alright, alright... here's just a little bit

I don't sense that there are manufacturing defects with my unit, but the fundamental design issues that other have reported are present.

Light bleed on the sides - yes
Focus problems along the top and especially the top corners - yes
Some internal transient lens reflections - yes
Some type of optical artifact on the bottom corners (reported as looking like screen projector on AVS Forums) - yes
Color aberration during high speed eye shifts - yes

But I was prepared for all of that so it did not really disappoint me much. The blurry corner is the thing I dislike the most. 85% of the screen looks fantastic however. Colors are nice. Text is sharp. I actually find that 1080 is too high of a resolution. I am working right now, so I did some coding in Dev Studio for a bit just to see if it could be used as a desktop. I am sensitive to small text, so I bumped my resolution down to 720 and that was more comfortable. The text was clear at 1080 but I personally don't like it that small.

The 3D effect is muted as others have reported but I only played with it for 5 minutes. I popped in SkyRim for 5 minutes as well and it looks great. This is really what this unit is for - immersive gaming. Unlike my other crap HMD that I have to memorize the menu systems because it is so blurry, I had no problem what-so-ever navigating menu systems. An of course in game - stuff like blurry corners and light bleed are a non-issue.

So my initial impressions are pretty good. I'll be doing a lot more testing tonight - plus the thing that I think will matter the most: head tracking.
post #313 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

Hi Guy,
Below is the 2nd batch unit review for the SMD ST1080P and is review by brantlew from MTBS3D forum which u can refer to the link for more detail. Thanks
- http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14889&sid=97d4532db90305cceaf68c6ddc2e7b80&start=135
Alright, alright... here's just a little bit
I don't sense that there are manufacturing defects with my unit, but the fundamental design issues that other have reported are present.
Light bleed on the sides - yes
Focus problems along the top and especially the top corners - yes
Some internal transient lens reflections - yes
Some type of optical artifact on the bottom corners (reported as looking like screen projector on AVS Forums) - yes
Color aberration during high speed eye shifts - yes
But I was prepared for all of that so it did not really disappoint me much. The blurry corner is the thing I dislike the most. 85% of the screen looks fantastic however. Colors are nice. Text is sharp. I actually find that 1080 is too high of a resolution. I am working right now, so I did some coding in Dev Studio for a bit just to see if it could be used as a desktop. I am sensitive to small text, so I bumped my resolution down to 720 and that was more comfortable. The text was clear at 1080 but I personally don't like it that small.
The 3D effect is muted as others have reported but I only played with it for 5 minutes. I popped in SkyRim for 5 minutes as well and it looks great. This is really what this unit is for - immersive gaming. Unlike my other crap HMD that I have to memorize the menu systems because it is so blurry, I had no problem what-so-ever navigating menu systems. An of course in game - stuff like blurry corners and light bleed are a non-issue.
So my initial impressions are pretty good. I'll be doing a lot more testing tonight - plus the thing that I think will matter the most: head tracking.


I think SMD put almost every disappointment to manufacturing defects was a really bad idea, Even for SMD themselves.

For example, I do think blurry corners come from optics design and cannot be fixed until new set of optics. A big FOV optics for HMD is real technical challenge for optics designer. To know that, check the FOV of first HMD comes for optics giant Carl Zeiss : 30 degree only!

Another bad experience, Light bleeding. I think it comes from behavior of LCoS technology and also related with optics design. Again It can’t be fixed by any quality control.

But SMD stated these can be fix by new batch unit. It will raise users hope again. But get just a little improved unit will really piss them off because it wastes their hope and time. It will spot SMD’s reputation more.

I think refund this generation ST1080, wait-and-see will be good idea for users.
Edited by alex76 - 6/27/12 at 12:01am
post #314 of 381
I haven't heard from Paul again yet but plan on getting a refund because I agree. I don't think it will get better and won't change much.

Ashame really, could have been a Sony HMZ killer but nope.
Edited by bravia3D - 6/27/12 at 1:36am
post #315 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

Hi Guy,
Below is the 2nd batch unit review for the SMD ST1080P and is review by brantlew from MTBS3D forum which u can refer to the link for more detail.

Here's the direct link to the full review ... just so it's a little easier to find. http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=15100
post #316 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

I haven't heard from Paul again yet but plan on getting a refund because I agree. I don't think it will get better and won't change much.
Ashame really, could have been a Sony HMZ killer but nope.

Which is better for 3D? The sony one of the St1080 one?

I really cant decide on one, i hate teh fact that sony is only 720P and that headphones are build in

Here is a new fresh review (very professional) of the rev2 (probably, he got it today ordered in march)

hes VERY happy with it, especially for gaming, but says that 3D is worse then LG passive 3D TV that he has...

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=15100

P.S. what I meant is refund one and replace the second one for the new models...

Anyway, since you played with the sony one for long time, can you recommend it for Home gaming (90%/10% 3D Blu Ray)
post #317 of 381
Go for the Sony, I sent you an email about it smile.gif

Two days and still no damn reply from Paul about my questions, contacted support for a refund and no reply from them also. I swear they have lousy service. If I don't hear back from them I'll contact the Internet Fraud Agency, this is starting to piss me off.

In all honesty I think they should stop selling the product. redesign the optics so there are no problems and then check it, check it more.. Then sell it again.
post #318 of 381
Here is a review a guy posted on their forum,

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=15100

I noticed his ear arms open fully like photos on their site show. When I asked Paul about both my units not opening fully he said they did this on purpose because opening fully is to large. He said they did measurements, blah blah and the way they have it set up is the ideal head size for fitment. I think I was fed some BS as I have seen numerous other photos with them fully open.
Just wrote support yet again asking for a refund. Get's rather annoying they don't reply or answer questions.
Edited by bravia3D - 6/27/12 at 2:45pm
post #319 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Go for the Sony, I sent you an email about it smile.gif

You know, I actually went for the HMZ after all. It just seemed like the HMZ was better for picture quality. Portable, definitely not but I resolved the comfort and focus issues with the head gear mod and I get 90-100% edge to edge clarity, and I love the picture quality. I think the ST1080 had/has the potential to be good, but it's just too early for me to adopt it based on initial reports.
Edited by tomin - 6/28/12 at 10:00am
post #320 of 381
I don't think it can be good, not with the problems they are having and the lousy customer service they give. Paul never replied to some simple questions I asked, which could have changed my mind and made me choose to just replace the units with new ones .I asked if issues have been fixed such as the blurry sides and light bleed..I asked what is done with quality control and if they check all units work fully before shipping. Nothing from them...
I been told that the ear arms on mine are fine and made not to open fully yet seen photos of first shipments and second shipments of owners fully opened. So BS!
I have contacted support twice as Paul asked me to contact them and let them know my choice and no response. I want a refund and my cash back. I just filed a PayPal dispute over it as I spent $1,450 on 2 items I waited months for and expected to be good that are just pure brick defects that don't do as Silicon claimed. The ear stims do not open fully, blurry sides all distorted, horrible light bleed which makes the sides unviewable and black levels are so bright and grey it makes it look crappy. The rainbow effect caused by the optics is annoying during fast scenes or even when you wink your eyes.
The product just don't add up to expectations and I truly think early reviews "the video posted on Youtube in May" was just someone from their staff raving about it to get more buyers. Because everything about that video was pure BS I am sorry to say.

I had high hopes for this company and product and feel if they had better customer support I may have truly tried new units and see if they were any better. Though I doubt they would have been.
post #321 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

I don't think it can be good, not with the problems they are having and the lousy customer service they give. Paul never replied to some simple questions I asked, which could have changed my mind and made me choose to just replace the units with new ones .I asked if issues have been fixed such as the blurry sides and light bleed..I asked what is done with quality control and if they check all units work fully before shipping. Nothing from them...
I been told that the ear arms on mine are fine and made not to open fully yet seen photos of first shipments and second shipments of owners fully opened. So BS!
I have contacted support twice as Paul asked me to contact them and let them know my choice and no response. I want a refund and my cash back. I just filed a PayPal dispute over it as I spent $1,450 on 2 items I waited months for and expected to be good that are just pure brick defects that don't do as Silicon claimed. The ear stims do not open fully, blurry sides all distorted, horrible light bleed which makes the sides unviewable and black levels are so bright and grey it makes it look crappy. The rainbow effect caused by the optics is annoying during fast scenes or even when you wink your eyes.
The product just don't add up to expectations and I truly think early reviews "the video posted on Youtube in May" was just someone from their staff raving about it to get more buyers. Because everything about that video was pure BS I am sorry to say.
I had high hopes for this company and product and feel if they had better customer support I may have truly tried new units and see if they were any better. Though I doubt they would have been.

To open them fully you need to remove the springs, thats what he said..

I will get the HMZ, I really like the OLED screen, if sony comes with full HD model for PS4, Im sure i will sell mine for at least 500-600USD and get a new model..

the St1080 will never be a good device because of the screen tech they use.


I hope you can solve your issues with them
post #322 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

I don't think it can be good, not with the problems they are having and the lousy customer service they give.....

Here is a fresh comparison between first gen models and second gen models:
Quote:
Just got my replacement today and spent a good 2 hours testing it out. Here are my observations against my original.

Original - 1: Unit is lightweight and relatively compact
Replacement - 1: The arms in my old unit were very stiff and could not extend very well. This unit seems more pliable and comfort level is slightly better.

Original - 2: The fit of the glasses and the view angle is a bit off. I can only see the bottom half of the picture when I sit the glasses squarely on my nose. The only way I can see the full screen is if I push the frontpiece down but then the arms angled upwards and press so tightly against my temples, it hurts terribly. I tried the head supports(a strap which comes with the set) but it doesn't really work
Replacement - 2: The angle of viewing is still off (maybe because I have a small nose). What I have done is cut several small strips of double-sided tape, build a high bridge and stick it to the bottom of the eyepiece where the tip of the nose piece rest. This makes the nose piece go lower which angles the eyepiece to a more acceptable level.

Original - 3: Picture quality wise - Blacks are not good. Looks kinda grey and it could be only my set but there's like a glass in front of my eyes where I can spot reflections. Not a good viewing experience. Image wise I don't see any pixelation which is good but the corners look a bit blur.
Replacement - 3: Blacks are still a bit washed out and there is some light bleed from the left and right sides of the screen as well as some internal reflections from the optics. The top is also a bit out of focus but improved from the original set. In all fairness, the lower 4/5 of the picture is sharp and colors are vibrant. After watching a movie for about 10mins, you will be immersed and tend to be more forgiving of the light bleed and focus issues. However, for computer/text work, it will definitely be more tiring to try to focus your eyes. In terms of immersion, its like sitting right at the back row of the cinema. You can clearly see the borders and know that you watching from a distance.

Original - 4: 3D performance was pretty ok. No noticeable ghosting but because you don't get the total immersion feel (i.e The screen looks pretty far away), the effects don't really pop out at you.
Replacement - 4: The 3D is about the same as before. Don't expect to be wowed as my 3D TV is much better. There is minimal ghosting but the 3D effects are pretty muted.

Original - 5: The audio is not good either. I get a buzzing sound with the supplied earphones. Haven't tried my own set yet.
Replacement - 5: I am glad to say that the buzzing sound has been solved. There is a slight hum but nothing that will faze you. Well done.

Original - 6: The controller box gets really hot and I worry for the electronics in there as it might get fried. I can't even hold it for long.
Replacment - 6: No change,. Tech support had replied to me that its within operating norms.

This is the lowdown on my replacement set. Is it a keeper? With my angle mod, it is definitely a much better viewing experience. I am now checking whether there are any mods which can effectively block ambient light from coming through the gaps without making the set look dorky. If you want a set where you can lie down on bed and casually watch movies in private, then this could be an acceptable option. 3D movies will not have the 'pop' as your 3D TV but the portability does weigh in its favour. If you are super critical about contrast/black levels and focus, then my advise is to wait. To me, this is a first gen set taking steps in the right direction. The technology is there but it has yet to evolve into the supreme wearable display.

http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/community-forum.html#/20120603/just-got-mine-quick-review-1653253/page4/
Edited by ViruzzX - 6/28/12 at 10:23am
post #323 of 381
A really great vs smile.gif is the light bleeds as bad on ur new replacment as blazin picture shows?
post #324 of 381
I have had nothing but a bad experience with these dang people, an email I got today




"We noticed that you tried to open a dispute with PayPal. About 3 days ago, Paul emailed you with information regarding your options. Did you respond to him? You can deal directly with us in regards to the next step since the dispute period is over with PayPal.




Thank you,

Stephanie, Order Management

SiliconMicroDisplay"

I have contacted Paul twice before 4 damn days ago asking questions about new batches with NO reply. I wrote support as he had asked me and chose to get a refund since he never answered my emails and questions.. NO REPLY I wrote support yet once again asking please send me a refund.. NO REPLY I wrote Paul yet again informing him support don't bother contacting me about a refund.. NO REPLY
I filed a dispute with Paypal but since it's past 45 days it closed. However, I filed a complaint with Paypal over the company informing them of all issues and problems I been having. So Paypal is well aware and working with me. And finally the above email is all I get... Honestly, what in the hell is wrong with these people? I did what was asked of me for a refund and get NO REPLY and then they ask if I have replied to him and to deal directly with them?! I will be writing this Stephanie back and if my refund isn't taken care of I will be contacting the Internet Fraud Agency and my Lawyer. This is damn ridiculous just trying to get a simple refund which shouldn'rt take more than 1 minute to send and then give me info on how to ship the items back.

I highly suggest "in my opinion and experience with this company" that others beware as it seems they truly do not care about customer support nor dealing with those customers not happy with their product. By law, they are required to issue a refund for defective products, which Paul already stated in his email to me mine are. And he already said I CAN get a full refund for them.
post #325 of 381
This company keeps on giving it seems mad.gif Think they struggling already with the bad user reviews and now this poor customer support regarding a valide refund request
post #326 of 381
Well, in their case I am hoping they contact me soon and I get my refund Paul said I can have in full. With all the negative reviews of the product, customers not happy and them even acknowledging that there are problems on their site and blog "which I took screen shots of in case the slight chance they remove it" a lawsuit against them wouldn't be good.
My best friend happens to be a lawyer that deals with these kinda things and he sure wouldn't mind helping me out.
post #327 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

A really great vs smile.gif is the light bleeds as bad on ur new replacment as blazin picture shows?

Its not mine, see a link below the quote, you can ask the owner directly
post #328 of 381
My lawyer suggest filing a complaint with the BBB, "Better Business Bureau" if I don't get my refund soon. Then we can take matters from there. I don't like the fact I get defective products and the company refuses to answer my emails and keep my cash. I had a problem like this a few years ago with another net business and it didn't go so well for that company at all.
It's quite sad Silicon treats customers this way, and I know they read my emails and are aware I want a refund. I know they check their blog and forum which I posted on there as well.
Edited by bravia3D - 6/28/12 at 3:34pm
post #329 of 381
This is my short review.

Mine is from the second batch so I cannot compare it from the first batch that many people seem to have problem with.

1. The nose piece does not fit my nose bridge well. I had to take off the rubber nose piece for a better fit. However, this is different from person to person since each person has different nose size.
2. Forget about 3D experience. I tried several IMAX 3D films such as Under the Sea and Deep Sea which have very good 3D pop-out and depth effects on my 3D Panasonic 65" VT30 plasma but they are non-existent on the ST1080. I thought that I had to push some kind of button to have 3D effects but there is no such button.
3. There is a reflection in the bottom. It looks like 2 mirrors that reflects the image up to middle field of vision. I have to adjust the device to be a little upward so that I can avoid seeing the distracting mirrors at the bottom.
4. The side arms are not fully open like the photo in their website. They bent a little inward. I can feel the pressure agains my temporal/parietal region when I wear the ST1080.
5. There is a slight hissing/buzzing sound when using the included earpieces. When I use my own earphone connected to the controller, I no longer hear the hissing/buzzing sound.
6. Black is dark grey
7. The very top and top corners are a little blurry.
8. There is a border around the the image. It does not fill the whole screen. I was hoping to see total darkness around the image but there is another light border around the image.
9. Somehow my eyes grow tired after watching for about 15 minutes.

By the way, I used the Micca EP 600 Second Generation as the media player. It is playing my 1080p .mkv files as well as 3D .isos.

I had the Sony HMZ-T1 for a few days before I returned it prior to March. I remembered that it had better 3D effects than the ST1080.

Currently, I am just hoping for the Sony HMZ-T1 version 2 with lighter weight, better fit, and 1080p resolution.
Head Mount Display is still in its infancy.

I will still keep the ST1080 and will not return it. I knew that I was taking a gamble and the result was that I did not profit. At least I did not lose money from smoking or drinking EtOH.
post #330 of 381
That is what I figured, nothing has really changed from the first batch. My sides are very blurred on both mine, and the top bottom blurred as well. Watching anything 3D mine as well be 2D because I also just don't see any 3D effects, no depth and no popout. In fact I just tried a few in 3D and then 2D and the 2D looked exactly the same.

All I can say is, I hope they email me while I'm sleeping tonight over my refund and I wake up and find the mail there. Or they will have to deal with the BBB and then my lawyer. I am getting sick of my mails being ignored, no matter which I email "support, info, Paul, Tech" It's not like one person sits there getting a million emails and can't answer... They have different divisions so I am sure the mails are read by at least ONE there.

They sure contacted me ASAP after I filed a PayPal dispute, so that proves the mails are noticed and they are well aware of the problem. I am getting together every last detail, from my very first email to me being ignored and them shipping to the states to Paul contacting me asking what I'd like to do, and then being ignored after wanting a refund. I'll be ready to send it all to the BBB tomorrow morning if I don't hear from these people.
Edited by bravia3D - 6/29/12 at 4:09am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › ST1080 1080p Head Mounted Display Pre-orders starting March 1st w/ $100 Discount