or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › 4K resolution and calibration
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4K resolution and calibration

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
With the advent of 4k resolution displays coming up, how will this affect today's meters and sw. I understand that the generators will have to change to produce the video patterns at 4k. Will there be a need for new meters and SW?
post #2 of 8
Nah the software really doesn't care about resolution at all.

Same goes for meters, they have no concept of pixels, they just read the incoming light.


But yes you'll need a 4K source.
post #3 of 8
Sotti, how does the source effect the calibration. Say the BR is set to 480 by accident on a 1080 display?
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Sotti, how does the source effect the calibration. Say the BR is set to 480 by accident on a 1080 display?

Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does.
All depends on the TV's internals.

There is also the colorspace issue for YCC encoding between rec.601 and rec.709
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

There is also the colorspace issue for YCC encoding between rec.601 and rec.709

I'd say that's one of the main concerns between 480i/p (SD) and 720p/1080i/p (HD).

Also, for a 480p DVD movie would it matter whether the player or the display was doing the upscaling to 1080p?
post #6 of 8
Let me rephrase my question.
If I have my BR resolution set to 480p using the HDMI connection and I am playing the AVS disk for Gray scale and Gamut readings, will there be a difference in meter readings compared to outputting 1080p?
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Let me rephrase my question.
If I have my BR resolution set to 480p using the HDMI connection and I am playing the AVS disk for Gray scale and Gamut readings, will there be a difference in meter readings compared to outputting 1080p?

Depends on your TV.
post #8 of 8
Actually, a 4K source (test pattern generator) isn't really necessary... yet. Or possibly ever, though "it depends" on whether a 4K video system that doesn't exist today has a different color space than HDTV or a different aim point than d65.

Normal HD test pattern generators are fine since the display will upconvert HD to 4K. If the display has separate memories for different input resolutions, you'd have to copy the HD-derived cal settings to the 4K memory but they would be the same if the color space for 4K is the same as the color space for HD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › 4K resolution and calibration