or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 71

post #2101 of 3999
Can anyone quickly go over the features s590 has over the older s580. I'm thinking about upgrading from the s580 to the s590. I know the s590 offers a better Netflix interface. Does the s590 offer dual band wireless ? Does the s590 have more apps than the s580? Thanks in advance. Sorry if this question was already asked before.

AK
post #2102 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yup. Think so. 790 does it too. Annoying !

Thanks for the info...
Does Sony know about it? Any chance for firmware fix??

Or maybe it's not a bug, maybe it's a "feature" smile.gif
post #2103 of 3999
I just bought a BDP-S390 and I am having trouble with subtitles freezing on certain discs, including The Hunger Games. Would updating the firmware to the latest version help? TIA.
Edited by m5comp - 11/10/12 at 9:45am
post #2104 of 3999
Both 590s holding up well in our systems. Mostly playing Blu-rays, but wife has been watching various TV Show DVDs, and I haven't heard her mention any problems.
Edited by p5browne - 11/11/12 at 10:53am
post #2105 of 3999
Overall, my impression of the 590 is positive.

However, after several months of use, my 590 is developing a fairly pronounced vibration with a number of discs. This is disappointing since I had to return a cheapo sony bx18 for this very reason.

Overall functionality is terrific, but a rattling case is unacceptable. My panasonic has no such issue. Great build quality, but lacking the feature set of the sony.
post #2106 of 3999
Looking to pull the trigger on a 590. Without scanning all the threads does the 590 stream amazon in 5.1 and is the UI useable? I own a 570 and UI is terrible. Is the UI the same as the ps3?
Edited by david0406 - 11/11/12 at 10:21am
post #2107 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post

Looking to pull the trigger on a 590. Without scanning all the threads does the 590 stream amazon in 5.1 and is the UI useable? I own a 570 and UI is terrible. Is the UI the same as the ps3?

Its Amazon player does have support for 5.1 sound and the Watchlist. It does not have the wonderful PS3 Amazon UI (the finest UI I've seen for any app on any platform); I don't personally care for the UI that it has, though it improved a bit in the last update. (It's similar to this interface from the S580). For me it starts streams very slowly, but it may be some local problem since others report that its faster for them.
post #2108 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Its Amazon player does have support for 5.1 sound and the Watchlist. It does not have the wonderful PS3 Amazon UI (the finest UI I've seen for any app on any platform); I don't personally care for the UI that it has, though it improved a bit in the last update. (It's similar to this interface from the S580). For me it starts streams very slowly, but it may be some local problem since others report that its faster for them.

Thanks. That looks similiar to the 570. There must have been a recent update that I was not aware of. The specs look as if it is quite taller than the 570 which will negate me buying one because it wont fit where I have my 570.
post #2109 of 3999
I have finally found a legitimate weakness with this player, and that is build quality.

My player has developed a nice little rattle which is mildly distracting. It's nothing like the full on droning buzz with the sony bx18, but it is still an issue.

The panasonic 220 is rock solid by way of comparison, but can't match the sony feature for feature.

Now I know why people buy oppo's. smile.gif
post #2110 of 3999
Put a nice paper weight on it, see if that fixes it. That's what my Wii is doing by sitting on my S580.
post #2111 of 3999
Trust me, I've tried that trick. smile.gif It still vibrates noticeably even when "loaded." Fortunately, the vibration is not intrusive on many discs. But it is becoming more and more noticeable with discs that didn't cause this issue in the past.

I wonder if there are some screws I can tighten on the case.

In any event, build quality is clearly subpar.
post #2112 of 3999
I think mine is much worse with DVDs than BDs, especically my AVSHD disc, that is the loudest disc I've ever heard. I'm been wondering if it's because it's a DVD-R and all the other DVDs I've played are commercial/retail discs.
post #2113 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I think mine is much worse with DVDs than BDs, especically my AVSHD disc, that is the loudest disc I've ever heard. I'm been wondering if it's because it's a DVD-R and all the other DVDs I've played are commercial/retail discs.

Do you use stickers on your DVD-R? If so, that might be the reason because of the unbalanced nature of your disc (there is really no way you can accurately balance a sticker on the disc).
post #2114 of 3999
Remember that the drive mechanism comes from a low-bidder and there are going to be variations in quality from one drive to the next. Unless you're trying to play unbalanced discs, it might be that bearings are starting to wear out.

FWIW, I've been using my S590 as my primary player since early summer. At a guess, I've played maybe 50-70 discs since then -- about equal numbers of BDs and DVDs. The only noise it makes is a low "grunt" when the head seeks from one video track to another -- like from a menu to an extra.

p.s. putting stickers of any kind on a disc is a very bad idea. If a sticker comes off, it'll trash the drive. A felt-tip marker or equivalent would be better.
post #2115 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

p.s. putting stickers of any kind on a disc is a very bad idea. If a sticker comes off, it'll trash the drive. A felt-tip marker or equivalent would be better.

That's not as bad as the entire disc explods to pieces inside a high speed PC DVD drive.
post #2116 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Do you use stickers on your DVD-R? If so, that might be the reason because of the unbalanced nature of your disc (there is really no way you can accurately balance a sticker on the disc).

Nope just a sharpie.
post #2117 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Remember that the drive mechanism comes from a low-bidder and there are going to be variations in quality from one drive to the next. Unless you're trying to play unbalanced discs, it might be that bearings are starting to wear out.
FWIW, I've been using my S590 as my primary player since early summer. At a guess, I've played maybe 50-70 discs since then -- about equal numbers of BDs and DVDs. The only noise it makes is a low "grunt" when the head seeks from one video track to another -- like from a menu to an extra.
p.s. putting stickers of any kind on a disc is a very bad idea. If a sticker comes off, it'll trash the drive. A felt-tip marker or equivalent would be better.

I only bought this player a few months ago, and I am not a heavy user. It's not the drive that's a problem, it's the case, which is not very stiff, and which is either not glued or screwed together very tightly. Completely avoidable with proper assembly and construction.

The case is cheap; the 790 has the same problem as well.

edit: the new blade runner with 3 film versions on one disc causes this player to shake uncontrollably. Very sad.
Edited by johncourt - 11/12/12 at 12:13pm
post #2118 of 3999
If your not going to take advantage of the warranty you may want to open it up and see if there is a screw loose on the drive mount. If you bought it on the Internet it may be suffering the effects of a UPS drop kick. My first 790 arrived with the tray door stuck shut, I returned it to ABT and the replacement they gave me has been working flawlessly since, plus it's quiet, no crazy vibrations.
post #2119 of 3999
Cinavia protection on the S590:

Hi, trying to find out if there is a way to disable this "cinavia" on the Sony s590 player. I just encountered the problem today which never happened with my S550 player.

I would appreciate any assistance on this.

thanks,

chapper.
post #2120 of 3999
I don't think there is anyway to disable it. But you can put your ripped BD on PC and stream it to the player. The streaming part does not contain Cinavia protection detection.
post #2121 of 3999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

I only bought this player a few months ago, and I am not a heavy user. It's not the drive that's a problem, it's the case, which is not very stiff, and which is either not glued or screwed together very tightly. Completely avoidable with proper assembly and construction.
The case is cheap; the 790 has the same problem as well.
edit: the new blade runner with 3 film versions on one disc causes this player to shake uncontrollably. Very sad.

I don't agree with your comment about the 790. It's not Denon build quality ... But it is better than the 590. The base of the 790 is more solid than the 590 and the top case seems to fit better to the base part.

I don't use my 590 for playing disks but the 790 has had no issues with disk vibration or shaking and I've had it since launch.
post #2122 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

My player has developed a nice little rattle which is mildly distracting.

 

I've used the S185, S390 and S590, and I think I know exactly what you're referring to. The cases are more cheaply built than some of the older Sonys, which were all metal. Unfortunately more plastic means potentially more vibration and more noise.

 

The problem is worst on the S185, because it's the most lightly built of the three players, and has the flimsiest cover. The S590 is a bit heavier, and less prone to vibration than the S185 and S390 (but certainly not completely immune).

 

The S390 is a little more sturdy than the S185... but not much, so you might look at some of the suggestions in the S185 thread on how to reduce the vibration. Maybe some of your discs are getting a little warped because they're stored too close to a heating vent in your home or something. That might be contributing to the issue.

 

As long as I use the S390 on a flat smooth surface that the rubber feet adhere to well, the noise level from the player doesn't really bug me.

 

Tightening a few screws is also an interesting suggestion. I might consider that on my player as well. If you're not that experienced with hardware though, then it might be best to leave well enough alone and not mess with it.

 

Most of the mfrs are going to cheaper materials btw, so this is not just a "Sony issue".


Edited by ADU - 11/13/12 at 2:09pm
post #2123 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I don't agree with your comment about the 790. It's not Denon build quality ... But it is better than the 590. The base of the 790 is more solid than the 590 and the top case seems to fit better to the base part.
I don't use my 590 for playing disks but the 790 has had no issues with disk vibration or shaking and I've had it since launch.

Denon quality ... well, I have a Denon 1611 and the case looks great, but here's a snippet from my Amazon review on that topic:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DBP-1611UD-Universal-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B003V8B0VG/ref=cm_cr-mr-title
Quote:
Device Build and Noise Issues - well, I guess you get what you pay for (and I didn't pay much for this box). The box looks nice, like a real AV component and the display and buttons are easy to see/use (unlike my previous Sony). However, the box is surprisingly light when you pick it up. And, all of that empty cabinet space resonates / amplifies internal mechanical sounds. On the positive side, the spinning disc sounds are minimal - less than my Sony, which had been driving my crazy. On the negative side, the fan noise and the sound of the laser tracking is louder than I've ever heard on a Blu-ray player. It's infrequent and acceptable, I guess, but something that could have been corrected with some internal buffering material.

But, most importantly, my Sony 590 crushes the Denon with SD disc and streaming content. Personally, I would rather spend less on the case (and I absolutely HATE the new Sony case styling) and upgrade my playback hardware and software, every year, if the jump is as large as it was between the 580 and 590.

Just my $0.02...
post #2124 of 3999
They all made from the same factory smile.gif

Remember back in the old days, high end Denon and Pioneer DVD players cost > $1000. You are not going to get that build quality on a $100 BD player.
post #2125 of 3999
To prevent myself from getting sucked into COD Black Ops 2, I've decided to sell my aging 80GB PS3 and replace it with a dedicated blu-ray player. My first impulse was to go with the Sony BDP-S590.

Besides the deep color issues in this thread, are there any other problems running this player alongside a Pioneer receiver? I'm thinking of getting the newer Pioneer VSX-822-K.

There are good deals now for the Pioneer BDP-140. I thought it'd be nice to have everything matching and have full compatibility. It's hard to find direct comparisons between the Sony BDP-S590 and the Pioneer BDP-140. Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks for the advice!
post #2126 of 3999
Some major differences:

Sony players support more computer-style image, audio and video formats than Pioneer (and Sharp) players do.

Pioneer (and Sharp) players made for the U.S. market can play PAL Region 0 DVDs. Sony's U.S. players cannot.

The room EQ used by Pioneer does not EQ subwoofers.
post #2127 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

But you can put your ripped BD on PC and stream it to the player. The streaming part does not contain Cinavia protection detection.

I've only got a couple of videos with Cinavia, but in my limited experience streaming the videos made no difference.

Cinavia protection is a watermark in the audio stream and even when I re-encoded the audio (manually and via DLNA trancoding) the player could still detect the watermark. In fact I think that is one of the selling points that Verance (Cinavia) likes to highlight to their customers.

YMMV of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia#Overview
post #2128 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTaylor View Post

I've only got a couple of videos with Cinavia, but in my limited experience streaming the videos made no difference.
Cinavia protection is a watermark in the audio stream and even when I re-encoded the audio (manually and via DLNA trancoding) the player could still detect the watermark. In fact I think that is one of the selling points that Verance (Cinavia) likes to highlight to their customers.
YMMV of course.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia#Overview

You are missing the point. There is NO Cinavia detection in streaming part of this player. I know Cinavia water mark is still in the streaming audio but the player won't cut you off at 30-minute mark. You don't even have to re-encode the video. A BD rip put into mkv container will do. The player will happily stream full bitrate BD mkv with full loss audio intact.
post #2129 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Denon quality ... well, I have a Denon 1611 and the case looks great, but here's a snippet from my Amazon review on that topic: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DBP-1611UD-Universal-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B003V8B0VG/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

 

Quote:
Device Build and Noise Issues - well, I guess you get what you pay for (and I didn't pay much for this box). The box looks nice, like a real AV component and the display and buttons are easy to see/use (unlike my previous Sony). However, the box is surprisingly light when you pick it up. And, all of that empty cabinet space resonates / amplifies internal mechanical sounds. On the positive side, the spinning disc sounds are minimal - less than my Sony, which had been driving my crazy. On the negative side, the fan noise and the sound of the laser tracking is louder than I've ever heard on a Blu-ray player. It's infrequent and acceptable, I guess, but something that could have been corrected with some internal buffering material

 

But, most importantly, my Sony 590 crushes the Denon with SD disc and streaming content. Personally, I would rather spend less on the case (and I absolutely HATE the new Sony case styling) and upgrade my playback hardware and software, every year, if the jump is as large as it was between the 580 and 590.
Just my $0.02...

 

Some interesting thoughts. Not sure how large the "jumps" will be next time, but your points are well-taken.

 

The continuously spinning discs are undoubtedly a contributing factor in the noise/vibration complaints on the Sony players. I haven't used other brands enough to really comment on how common that phenomena is, but I'm guessin Sony isn't alone on that issue either.

 

I suppose there could be some upsides to the continuous spinning as well, like better responsiveness. But the players would probably run alot quieter if they were able to buffer the entire contents of a disc into memory. (Maybe some more expensive players can do that?)

 

I'm interested to hear others thoughts on how to address the noise issues. I personally wouldn't advocate putting something on top of the player, because it might interfere with cooling/ventilation. That wouldn't work very well on the sloped covers of the S390 and S185 anyway (which is probably why they're designed that way). I'd concentrate more on the location (away from your listening area), and the surface the player is set on to keep the noise more manageable. The rubber feet will adhere better to a smooth flat surface, especially if you clean the dust off them. The less the player is able to move around, the quieter I think it will tend to run.

 

I liked the metal case on the S580 btw. Main reason I passed on that model was the fan. (My place is drafty enough as it is.)

post #2130 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I liked the metal case on the S580 btw. Main reason I passed on that model was the fan. (My place is drafty enough as it is.)

I love the look of the 580, but I purchased the Denon 1611 because of the high-pitched moter noise from the spinning disc on the 580 smile.gif

Then, I went back to the Sony with the 590 - and I think it's a giant killer with respect to PQ and streaming content - but the butt-ugly enclosure, the desire for DVD-A support and better DLNA compatibility is making me look elsewhere for my next player (I mean, it's been 9 months, so I want a new player rolleyes.gif.

Maybe the Pioneer BDP-62FD...? We'll see...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread