or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 79

post #2341 of 3991
I bought this player a few days ago so that we'd have a BluRay player in the bedroom. It only hooks up to a 26" TV, but I figured for $10 more than the S390 a little future-proofing was okay. I do have one question, and I apologize if it's been answered already. There are something like 50 services under video and I only have an interest in maybe 5 of them, perhaps 10 if I really looked at everything. Is there some way I'm missing to hide or remove all those unwanted services?
post #2342 of 3991
Can anyone comment on the 590's handling of .wav music on USB storage? I was trying it out on the 380 the other day and there was white noise between every track until I stripped all files of their ID tags. That's OK, but occasionally I still hear a faint pop between .wav tracks. Anything like that with the 590?
post #2343 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKeatz View Post

A few weeks ago I created a thread about a problem I was having, but since then I've created a revolution in my bedroom; I switched TV's and decided to get a new blu-ray player, the S590. As stated in my previous thread, I have new neighbors and decided it would be best to disable my surround sound. I'm now using my TV's speakers as the only source of audio and I have no clue on what the optimal audio settings should be. Can anybody shed some light?

Audio (HDMI) - Auto or PCM?
DSD Output Mode - On or Off?
BD Audio Mix Settings - On or Off?
Dolby Digital / DTS - Downmix PCM or Bitstream?
DTS Neo:6 - Cinema, Music or Off?
Audio DRC - I actually know this one, Hallelujah!
Downmix - Surround or Stereo?

Thanks!

EDIT: I need some help on the screen settings, too!

Screen Format - Full or Normal?
DVD Aspect Ratio - Letter Box or Pan & Scan?
Cinema Confersion Mode - Auto or Video?

Thanks again!

If I understand, you have disabled your surround sound system out of concern that your will disturb your new neighbor.

The settings you inquired about generally will not impact Audio through your TV speakers, with the notable exception of DRC.

If I were you, I would not disable the surround system, but instead look to its features for managing the levels. It likely has a feature similar to DRC to reduce the dynamic range of content. You might also turn down the subwoofer, since that will penetrate walls the most.

What do you want to change in regard to screen settings? These settings largely come down to personal preference.
post #2344 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post

I bought this player a few days ago so that we'd have a BluRay player in the bedroom. It only hooks up to a 26" TV, but I figured for $10 more than the S390 a little future-proofing was okay. I do have one question, and I apologize if it's been answered already. There are something like 50 services under video and I only have an interest in maybe 5 of them, perhaps 10 if I really looked at everything. Is there some way I'm missing to hide or remove all those unwanted services?

Not that I am aware of... and, yes, it drives me crazy, as well!
post #2345 of 3991
Hi all - a quick question. How can I Listen to streaming radio via this unit? What with a built in web browser I would think this would be easy.

Likewise, how can I use this Internet enabled box to watch live video streams off the 'net?

Or, if it's bad news, what should I buy that will handle these things?
post #2346 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalbarry View Post

Hi all - a quick question. How can I Listen to streaming radio via this unit? What with a built in web browser I would think this would be easy.
Likewise, how can I use this Internet enabled box to watch live video streams off the 'net?
Or, if it's bad news, what should I buy that will handle these things?

For the radio portion, look for the vTuner app under Music in the XMB interface.
post #2347 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Not that I am aware of... and, yes, it drives me crazy, as well!

I guess this is one area where the Panasonic interface is superior.
post #2348 of 3991
I guess I am so awed by the number of options, it doesn't bother me. Plus, you can scroll them super quickly.

Having said that, I rarely use any of them! It's like having an enormous mp3 collection and only listening to 5 songs!


edit: I'm not sure if the panasonic interface for streaming is 'better.' There is a little bit of lag. Plus, I want to know how to turn off that irritating 'pinging' sound with every selection. Very annoying.

At least you can scroll through the sony selections quietly.
post #2349 of 3991
OK - looked at vTuner - hadn't before because nothing about the name looked useful.

So, how do I add streams that they don't list? For instance the dozens of BBC channels that I can get on my phone.

Also - how can I use this box to feed streaming video to the TV?
post #2350 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalbarry View Post

OK - looked at vTuner - hadn't before because nothing about the name looked useful.
So, how do I add streams that they don't list? For instance the dozens of BBC channels that I can get on my phone.
Also - how can I use this box to feed streaming video to the TV?
Serviio has plug-ins for other channels, including BBC, Youtube HD, etc. You can also make your own plugins. Homestream (sony's version of Serviio) can't use plugins. Check out the Serviio forums for details. I assume you're in the UK, otherwise it will much more complicated to get BBC on Serviio.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were asking about video. Like you said, the sony vTuner app seems to have a smaller subset of all the stations listed on the vTuner site. There is no way to add unlisted stations yourself.
Edited by mdavej - 12/12/12 at 12:19pm
post #2351 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalbarry View Post

OK - looked at vTuner - hadn't before because nothing about the name looked useful.
So, how do I add streams that they don't list? For instance the dozens of BBC channels that I can get on my phone.

vTuner has all of the BBC channels that are streaming, so you need to "look harder", I guess. Some will be listed under "Talk" and others under music genres, like classical. There were a bunch, last time I checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalbarry View Post

Also - how can I use this box to feed streaming video to the TV?

The Video menu contains a pile of streaming content services and if your 590 is plugged into your TV with an HDMI cable, you just click and play...? I don't understand the question, sorry...
post #2352 of 3991

Confused re sound issues.

FAQ AT START OF THREAD. If you have an older AVR with only toslink or coaxial audio inputs then you would connect the Blu-Ray player to your display via HDMI and simultaneously connect your Blu-Ray player's toslink/optical or coaxial digital output to your Audio Video Receiver. You will get either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the disk in question. These are not the uncompressed audio tracks, but are encoded at higher bitrate than is typical for DVD.

Where to begin?
Just Purchased a Panasonic TC50PU54 and a Sony BDP-S590/BX59
Basic sound set up was HDMI from Player to TV and optical from TV to optical TV in jack on older Panasonic SA-HE75 Audio/video receiver. However, I read in the TC50/54 thread that this setup only produces Stereo for output to the speakers. Is this the case? The Sony BR does have an optical out that I can connect directly to the DVD optical jack of the receiver (as noted in the FAQ above), but there doesn't seem to be any way to select it in the TV or BR player settings. I did do a search but was unable to narrow it down enough to make it useful. I'm sure this or similar issues have been discussed here before as I am very late to the party, but I would appreciate help or link to an answer.
Thanks, Dave
post #2353 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillgolfing View Post

FAQ AT START OF THREAD. If you have an older AVR with only toslink or coaxial audio inputs then you would connect the Blu-Ray player to your display via HDMI and simultaneously connect your Blu-Ray player's toslink/optical or coaxial digital output to your Audio Video Receiver. You will get either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the disk in question. These are not the uncompressed audio tracks, but are encoded at higher bitrate than is typical for DVD.

This is a FAQ??? You'll get stereo out of many if not most televisions. The BD player will look at the downstream device's sound capabilities, which most televisions will specify as being 2.0 or 2.1 channesl, and mix the audio accordingly. I've heard that there are some recent TVs which can pass through DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 over S/PDIF which will assert that they can handle those formats and get them.

But what's the sense of running them through your TV in the first place? If your AVR has S/PDIF inputs and not HDMI, just run it direct from the BD player. Even if your TV can handle the conversion of DD or DTS lossless formats to basic DD or DTS, there's no reason to believe that you'll get anything better of it than the BD player.
post #2354 of 3991
Since my TV passes 5.1 over optical, a single optical cable from it to my AVR greatly simplifies my connections and macros. When I got a TV that could do this, I went from 4 optical cables and one coax down to one and rarely have to do any input switching on my AVR.

To answer the other part of stillgolfing's question, he shouldn't have to change any setting in the player since the default is already Audio - DD/DTS - Bitstream. Maybe turn off BD secondary. On the TV, you'll just have to turn down the volume since there is no setting in the player to disable HDMI audio output. Your TV may also have a setting to disable the speakers. Mute is an option but usually leaves a message on the screen. On my remote, I make turning the TV volume all the way down part of my macros.
post #2355 of 3991
If there are more BBC radio channels in vTuner they are well hidden. Silly me expected them to be under the UK/BBC selection.

I installed Serviio but only spent an hour trying to sort things out. Mat have more time during holidays.

What would be really nice if the Opera side of things had more than four (useless) plugins available.
post #2356 of 3991
Serviio is your best bet for Internet radio streaming IMO. It's actually really easy to set up streams once you get the hang of it. Here's a crash course:

LIBRARY TAB - go to "Online Sources" - click "ADD"

source type is "LIVE STREAM"

source URL is whatever the code is for that particular stream (you need to search for them but here's a good one - SomaFM X-Mas Rocks! with indie christmas music)

http://mp2.somafm.com:6100

Make sure to hit "audio" instead of video - that was my undoing at first.

Do a "check stream URL" to make sure you entered it correct and a green check mark will appear.

Don't worry about "thumb-nail URL" but do label it something and that's what will appear under "music" on the TV.

Try it and let us know how it goes!
post #2357 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

This is a FAQ??? You'll get stereo out of many if not most televisions. The BD player will look at the downstream device's sound capabilities, which most televisions will specify as being 2.0 or 2.1 channesl, and mix the audio accordingly. I've heard that there are some recent TVs which can pass through DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 over S/PDIF which will assert that they can handle those formats and get them.
But what's the sense of running them through your TV in the first place? If your AVR has S/PDIF inputs and not HDMI, just run it direct from the BD player. Even if your TV can handle the conversion of DD or DTS lossless formats to basic DD or DTS, there's no reason to believe that you'll get anything better of it than the BD player.

Re FAQ - I didn't know what else to call it. At page 1 of the forum there are a number of Issues AVS suggests you read before posting (to save one the trouble of posting about an issue already addressed) and this was one of them. It related to my problem, however I didn't understand it and it didn't help me.

You are correct regarding running sound through the TV. I had the TV optical cable hooked up incorrectly (TV to AVR instead of Satelite box to AVR). So that leaves me with the second optical cable running from the BRP to the DVD input of the AVR, but again no sound is getting to the AVR. Basically if I want Disk sound I have to turn up the TV sound that is sent via the HDMI.
I switched the optical cables around just to make sure one wasn't defective and got satellite sound through both. Also hooked my regular DVD player back up via optical just to confirm my AVR DVD jack was still live and it worked OK. Now I'm going to call Sony to see if there is something I missed in the BRP setup. Otherwise I'm now thinking I've got a dead optical jack on my new BRP.
Thanks to all respondants for your help. I'll let you know how this turns out.
post #2358 of 3991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Not that I am aware of... and, yes, it drives me crazy, as well!

You can use the SEN portal and store 8 favorites.
post #2359 of 3991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

vTuner has all of the BBC channels that are streaming, so you need to "look harder", I guess. Some will be listed under "Talk" and others under music genres, like classical. There were a bunch, last time I checked.
The Video menu contains a pile of streaming content services and if your 590 is plugged into your TV with an HDMI cable, you just click and play...? I don't understand the question, sorry...

Are you sure about that. I believe vTuner on the Sony BDPs only has BBC World.

The other suggestion was to use Serviio. That would work ... however, BBC Radio streams are only Windows Media or AAC. Both of which the Sony BDPs wont stream. They will accept mp3 radio streams though.

All these UK radio streams should work OK.

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/mp3.asp
Edited by apw2607 - 12/12/12 at 7:00pm
post #2360 of 3991
Blu ray player started freezing during blu rays today frown.gif. Only way to get it to work again is to pull plug from wall.

Will try with more blu rays tomorrow and see if it goes away/
post #2361 of 3991
Hello, recently purchased this player for my father in laws simple home theater.

Long story short, I get the following but not on all discs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiwBn4ETS_M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I didn't catch it in the initial setup, I used the Avengers BD to test and it pays fine without the static/snow. Tried two other DVDs and a nature show BluRay you see in the video I linked and I get the snow. How to Train a Dragon BluRay played just fine as well.

I have ruled out the receiver, the projector, & the HDMI cables. I also tried playing a YouTube video and the static persists. Does the menu always have that static by design?

This one really has me stumped. I'm not very technical when it comes to AV, but I know enough to get myself into trouble.

Thanks for any help.
post #2362 of 3991
Nothing should have any static/snow at all.

If you're getting snow in the menu that's the player, the cable or interference on your HDMI cable or projector. If you can safely say no other input has the issue that seems to narrow it down to either the cables or player. Did you switch out HDMI cables or try using the player connected to another display device to troubleshoot this?
post #2363 of 3991
static/snow is a symptom of bad HDMI cable.
post #2364 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Nothing should have any static/snow at all.
If you're getting snow in the menu that's the player, the cable or interference on your HDMI cable or projector. If you can safely say no other input has the issue that seems to narrow it down to either the cables or player. Did you switch out HDMI cables or try using the player connected to another display device to troubleshoot this?

I did try a brand new cable (both are new coincidentally) tried all ports on the receiver. I even tried a laptop with each cable, and no static there.

The odd thing is that the static disappeared when Avengers and Dragon started playing, but returned as soon as I went back to the menu. It is also not the HDMI cable that runs from the receiver to the projector, I used an old AV DVD player hooked to the receiver and the picture is free of static.

I will.have them connect the BluRay player in question to their television tonight and see what the results are.

Thanks guys.
post #2365 of 3991
That sounds like a bad player to me.
post #2366 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13 View Post

Hello, recently purchased this player for my father in laws simple home theater.

Long story short, I get the following but not on all discs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiwBn4ETS_M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I didn't catch it in the initial setup, I used the Avengers BD to test and it pays fine without the static/snow. Tried two other DVDs and a nature show BluRay you see in the video I linked and I get the snow. How to Train a Dragon BluRay played just fine as well.

I have ruled out the receiver, the projector, & the HDMI cables. I also tried playing a YouTube video and the static persists. Does the menu always have that static by design?

This one really has me stumped. I'm not very technical when it comes to AV, but I know enough to get myself into trouble.

Thanks for any help.

How long is the HDMI cable run overall? Does the issue occur if you plug the player directly into the projector with a short cable (bypassing the receiver)? Have you tried turning Deep Color off?
post #2367 of 3991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

Blu ray player started freezing during blu rays today frown.gif. Only way to get it to work again is to pull plug from wall.
Will try with more blu rays tomorrow and see if it goes away/

You can hold down the power button on the front panel for 10 seconds. Player will reboot.
post #2368 of 3991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

How long is the HDMI cable run overall? Does the issue occur if you plug the player directly into the projector with a short cable (bypassing the receiver)? Have you tried turning Deep Color off?

Yes ... all snowy pictures I've encountered before have being down to :

1) Too long HDMI cable
2) Deep color on for 1080p/60 and 1080p/24

OP, if you do have a long HDMI cable run, Geffen make a very nice HDMI booster that fixes all these issues. The problem is, its pricey.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650503-REG/Gefen_EXT_HDMI1_3_141SBP_HDMI_Super_Booster_Plus.html
post #2369 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

How long is the HDMI cable run overall? Does the issue occur if you plug the player directly into the projector with a short cable (bypassing the receiver)? Have you tried turning Deep Color off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yes ... all snowy pictures I've encountered before have being down to :
1) Too long HDMI cable
2) Deep color on for 1080p/60 and 1080p/24
OP, if you do have a long HDMI cable run, Geffen make a very nice HDMI booster that fixes all these issues. The problem is, its pricey.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650503-REG/Gefen_EXT_HDMI1_3_141SBP_HDMI_Super_Booster_Plus.html

The cable from the receiver to the projector is probably at least ~20 ft long (could be up to 30 ft, hard to tell with it run through the walls/ceiling).

I am unsure about deep color mode. I did set it back to factory defaults, is that enabled by default? I will find out and report back.

Thanks guys for your help!
post #2370 of 3991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13 View Post

[
The odd thing is that the static disappeared when Avengers and Dragon started playing, but returned as soon as I went back to the menu. .
This indicates an inadequate cable. Menus usually are 60fps. Movies usually are 24fps. Higher framerates require higher bitrates which your cable is distorting because it simply doesn't have the necessary bandwidth.

If the problem still exists after you've turned off "deep color", one workaround is to set the player to output a fixed low speed resolution like 1080i. That setting is in one of the player's settings menus.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread