or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 83

post #2461 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

??? Impossible. None of these players can get rid of judder from 24 fps film sources. You need frame interpolation to reduce motion blur, a feature NONE of these players have.

Perhaps I should amend and say that, while the judder may still be there on the Panasonic, I found it to be practically imperceptible. The image was perfectly acceptable on the Panny, but unwatchable on the Sony and almost unwatchable on the Roku. While the Panasonic may not have eliminated the judder entirely, it was exponentially better at smoothing out the image during those panning shots. Night and day difference.
post #2462 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOgamer View Post

How do you recommend Panasonic BDP over Sony ?

I wouldn't, necessarily. All depends on your priorities. For me, a good streamed image from Netflix and Hulu Plus is a top priority, and in this area, Panasonic beats Sony. Sony has a lot of features I like more than the Panasonic (much better responsiveness for streaming channels and internet connectivity, 5.1 surround support for Amazon VOD, etc.), but I just couldn't stomach the judder. The responsiveness on the Panasonic seems to degrade further every time I use it - if this keeps up, I will have to look for yet another solution...
post #2463 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Actually, Sony has improved their LPCM support over the BDP-Sn80 models (previous generation); I had a similar conversation a couple of years ago with Sony technical support. In the previous versions, LPCM decoding was limited to Dolby 5.1 and DTS (i.e. the lossy, "core" versions) and at least now they've added 5.1 channel support for the HD codecs over LPCM.
And, before you trash Sony, be aware that all of the low-end consumer players follow similar specifications. Referencing the above issue with the BDP-S580, when I started calling around to other vendors, I discovered back then that many of them had similar limitations w/ LPCM and decoding lossless audio codecs.
So, either buy a higher-end player (e.g. Oppo) or ...wait for it... buy a modern AVR.

I understand the low-end consumer players may have this limitation. I would hardly consider the 590/790 low end. I have also have a BDP-270 that cost $50 3 years ago. It has no trouble with TrueHD LPCM 7.1 support, but their most current flagship model can't even handle that. Come on Sony.
post #2464 of 3995
Help - using Serviio but when I try to play files from my hard drive it say "files corrupt or unsupported". The files are MPEGs from British TV.
post #2465 of 3995
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djironic View Post

I wouldn't, necessarily. All depends on your priorities. For me, a good streamed image from Netflix and Hulu Plus is a top priority, and in this area, Panasonic beats Sony. Sony has a lot of features I like more than the Panasonic (much better responsiveness for streaming channels and internet connectivity, 5.1 surround support for Amazon VOD, etc.), but I just couldn't stomach the judder. The responsiveness on the Panasonic seems to degrade further every time I use it - if this keeps up, I will have to look for yet another solution...

The panasonic Hulu app is complete garbage. It locks up most of the time. Both players can playback the 1080p netflix stream. Why you get judder is odd. I've not seen any judder.
post #2466 of 3995
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviman33 View Post

Help - using Serviio but when I try to play files from my hard drive it say "files corrupt or unsupported". The files are MPEGs from British TV.

Use the Bravia 2012 - us profile
post #2467 of 3995
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK View Post

This is my post from the Sony BDP-790 forum, but I am also posting it here also, since it definitely affects the 590 and likely the 390 as well. Sony does not support TrueHD via PCM 7.1 any longer. FYI.
After about 4 weeks of working with Sony on this PCM Dolby TrueHD 7.1 issue, here is there response I got yesterday. Initially they stated it was only a Denon issue, then eventually admitted even their players were experiencing the same problem....which as you will see below, is not apparently a problem in their eyes.
After further investigation with our Sustaining engineering and Design teams we have found that 2012 and newer BD Players are only able to output Dolby Digital Sources over PCM up to 5.1 Channels Only, A part of this is due to the higher sampling rate (96KHZ) that Dobly uses as opposed to the (48KHZ) that DTS uses. This is by design and is not a flaw or defect, the players are functioning as intended and this will be the case for 2013 BD players as well . I apologize for the inconvenience and hope this addresses your concern.
I was baffled by this decision on this part and queried as to why this is so. Second response below.
As technology advances some features are considered obsolete. For Example, we have removed component outputs on our bd players because HDMI is now the primary medium for HD video + audio . Many new receivers that supports 7.1 channels will have built in Dolby Digital decoders that can natively decode the True HD 7.1 streams , therefore there really isn’t a need to force PCM on the dolby 7.1 true hd codec moving forward . It was an engineering + design decision to remove this feature and I apologize for the inconvenience but I will forward your feedback to our design teams.
Sadly I don't think I will ever understand why they removed PCM 7.1 TrueHD support. It makes no sense to me. If they didn't want 7.1 decoding then eliminate PCM support for DTS also. Looks like this is a dead issue. If you want PCM 7.1 support with Dolby TrueHD, time to spend your money elsewhere.

I'm impressed you got a real response from Sony. That has to be a first. Normally they just fob you off.

Guess its time to update that receiver ;-)
post #2468 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Use the Bravia 2012 - us profile

Worked perfectly. Thanks
post #2469 of 3995
Ok, is my specific s590 bad or is the entire model bad - I just got an bdp-s590 for Christmas. I also have two bdp-s580 as well. I have an external hdd hooked up to my router (Asus rt-n66u) and use it has my dlna server. All videos play fine to the s580s, but all video files (avi, mp4, mkv) says that they are corrupt on the s590 only. But when I copy some videos to a thumb drive, the s590 will play them, but it won't play any files over the dlna. Both of my s580s work. Is my bdp-s590 bad or does this particular model have problems with dlna videos?
Thanks for any input.
post #2470 of 3995
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous_pb View Post

Ok, is my specific s590 bad or is the entire model bad - I just got an bdp-s590 for Christmas. I also have two bdp-s580 as well. I have an external hdd hooked up to my router (Asus rt-n66u) and use it has my dlna server. All videos play fine to the s580s, but all video files (avi, mp4, mkv) says that they are corrupt on the s590 only. But when I copy some videos to a thumb drive, the s590 will play them, but it won't play any files over the dlna. Both of my s580s work. Is my bdp-s590 bad or does this particular model have problems with dlna videos?
Thanks for any input.

What DLNA server are you using.

Do this. Download Serviio. Point to your hard drive. Use the Bravia 2012 - us profile for your 590. Should be all set.

Sony made some changes to the way DLNA works for some files over x80 series.
post #2471 of 3995
I just picked one up Saturday and I am having problem setting the wireless on this player, it does not recognize my wireless network in my house. I am having verizon fios triple bundle in my house. Can some exert give me some pointers please. I need to update te firware on this player since it did not play some of the bluray diss the I have
post #2472 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

What DLNA server are you using.
Do this. Download Serviio. Point to your hard drive. Use the Bravia 2012 - us profile for your 590. Should be all set.
Sony made some changes to the way DLNA works for some files over x80 series.

I am using an eternal hard drive connected to my Asus rt-n66u router. I am not streaming from my PC but directly from my router. The Blu-ray player sees all the videos but when I try to play them, it says that the files is unsupported / corrupt. Again, both my bdp-s580s work but my s590 will not play any videos stream but will only play them on a thumb drive directly plugged into the Blu-ray player.

Very disappointed in this player. I figured a s590 would be better than a s580. I guess I'll be returning this junk and finding another player.
post #2473 of 3995
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous_pb View Post

I am using an eternal hard drive connected to my Asus rt-n66u router. I am not streaming from my PC but directly from my router. The Blu-ray player sees all the videos but when I try to play them, it says that the files is unsupported / corrupt. Again, both my bdp-s580s work but my s590 will not play any videos stream but will only play them on a thumb drive directly plugged into the Blu-ray player.
Very disappointed in this player. I figured a s590 would be better than a s580. I guess I'll be returning this junk and finding another player.

The player isn't junk and the fact they made some changes around DLNA merely means the DLNA server has to be configured a bit different. The same changes were made to the 2012 Bravia line of TVs.

I say you take a look at your router or NAS or where ever the DLNA server is. If you don't want to make any setting changes or don't want to try another DLNA server then you will have no choice but to return it.

This is more a characteristic of DLNA, not so much Sony.
post #2474 of 3995
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvnandover View Post

I just picked one up Saturday and I am having problem setting the wireless on this player, it does not recognize my wireless network in my house. I am having verizon fios triple bundle in my house. Can some exert give me some pointers please. I need to update te firware on this player since it did not play some of the bluray diss the I have

A long Ethernet cable ;-)

Couldn't resist.

Failing that try moving the wireless router or change the Channel wifi is being broadcast on. Try moving the BD player.

You can burn a disk with updated firmware and load it that way too.
post #2475 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick2244 View Post

Has anyone found the remote control codes for the Comcast remote control, that works with the S590? ...

As you've discovered, Sony DVD player codes don't work on their blu-ray players. All Sony blu-ray players use the same code which is 21516 (or DVD 1516 on some remotes)..., but it's not in many cable remotes. ...

I tried code 21516 in my silver with red-button Comcast remote for my S390 and, as noted, my remote doesn't recognize the code. (After entering the code, instead of 2 flashes of my aux button, I get one long steady flash, which I think indicates a failure with the code. Either way, the buttons didn't work.)

So, I looked up the EFC codes for code 1516 using the JP1 device lookup tool and found the list of EFC codes for 1516. I tried using these codes by both entering them manually and re-programming buttons, but neither of these methods work. That leads me to believe that these EFC codes don't work for the S390.

Has anyone found a way to control the S390 (or S590) with a Comcast remote? If someone can confirm the JP1 cable method works, I may just break down and buy one.
post #2476 of 3995
Quick question:

Will the bdp-s390 play region free blu ray discs?

I have a large credit on Amazon.co.uk from selling my school books on Amazon, and it wont let me convert the credit to Amazon.com. I am going back to England for graduation, and thought that I would buy a bunch of blu ray movies from that site and have them to play back in America where I live and just bought the sony bdp-s390 blu ray player along with the Samsung un46eh6000 TV.

I just want to make sure that a region free disc will indeed be recognized by my american player before I do this.

Is there anything specifically I should look for? For instance, http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Pie-Digital-Copies-Blu-ray/dp/B006DI6HBO/ref=pd_luc_sbs_03_02_t_lh says that it is a region free movie, but in the description says," Please note this is a region B Blu-ray and will require a region B or region free Blu-ray player in order to play." So does that mean it truly is not a region free DVD?

Thanks for the help deciphering this stuff!
post #2477 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisn1 View Post

Quick question:

Will the bdp-s390 play region free blu ray discs?

I have a large credit on Amazon.co.uk from selling my school books on Amazon, and it wont let me convert the credit to Amazon.com. I am going back to England for graduation, and thought that I would buy a bunch of blu ray movies from that site and have them to play back in America where I live and just bought the sony bdp-s390 blu ray player along with the Samsung un46eh6000 TV.

I just want to make sure that a region free disc will indeed be recognized by my american player before I do this.

Is there anything specifically I should look for? For instance, http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Pie-Digital-Copies-Blu-ray/dp/B006DI6HBO/ref=pd_luc_sbs_03_02_t_lh says that it is a region free movie, but in the description says," Please note this is a region B Blu-ray and will require a region B or region free Blu-ray player in order to play." So does that mean it truly is not a region free DVD?

Thanks for the help deciphering this stuff!

Region B discs will not play on the US Sony players. Region free Blu-ray Discs should work if they use US video formats (24 Hz or 60 Hz) but will not work with PAL/50 Hz content.
post #2478 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Region B discs will not play on the US Sony players. Region free Blu-ray Discs should work if they use US video formats (24 Hz or 60 Hz) but will not work with PAL/50 Hz content.

Yeah I figured the region B would not work. But looking on Amazon.co.uk the movie will say region free, but does not specify the formats. How can you be sure that the region free is still capable with the US player? IE 24hz or 60hz?
post #2479 of 3995
I think I might be going about this wrong. Blu Ray seems to be quite different technology than the NTSc and PAL coding of DVDs. Is this correct?

I was worried that if I bought a region free blu ray disk from the European market that my american equipment would have a difficult time playing it as frequencies dont line up well if it was coded in the NTSC and PAL world. However, is blu ray the same exact coding no matter what region it ends up in? This is important because then the regional coding would only be decoded by the software per sey, instead of different hardware actually needed for the different frequencies. Is this true? If it is, then it makes sense to buy the region free blu ray's because they could be played in any zone because the technology behind it is exactly the same, it is just the software in the player that says yay or ney to the playing of the disk. Am I correct?
post #2480 of 3995
Re: wi-fi connect, between bdp-s390 and linksys wrt54gs


I just spent hours on this same issue. This is how I resolved my problem.

Find your router screen on internet (address should be 192.168.1.1).

Find upper tab that says "wireless" and once in this field, find the tab that says "wireless security".

Make sure that WPA algorithms is set to "TKIP + AES" (The algorithm is basically the "language" used between the two systems)

Hopefully this will resolve your problem


Best of Luck,
Jessica
Edited by sissynshuksun - 12/25/12 at 9:51pm
post #2481 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisn1 View Post

I think I might be going about this wrong. Blu Ray seems to be quite different technology than the NTSc and PAL coding of DVDs. Is this correct?

I was worried that if I bought a region free blu ray disk from the European market that my american equipment would have a difficult time playing it as frequencies dont line up well if it was coded in the NTSC and PAL world. However, is blu ray the same exact coding no matter what region it ends up in? This is important because then the regional coding would only be decoded by the software per sey, instead of different hardware actually needed for the different frequencies. Is this true? If it is, then it makes sense to buy the region free blu ray's because they could be played in any zone because the technology behind it is exactly the same, it is just the software in the player that says yay or ney to the playing of the disk. Am I correct?

Technically, PAL and NTSC are color encoding systems used for analog television. However, these labels are still widely used to distinguish the varying video standards that have followed those color systems (at least until HD video came along).

Unlike DVDs, the resolution is the same for HD video on Blu-ray (1920x1080, etc.) across regions. However, as indicated previously, the refresh rate may not be. My understanding is that most theatrical content is 24 fps regardless of region, so if you stick to movies marked "region free" you will probably be fine. However, I wouldn't expect 50 Hz Blu-ray content to work in your US player (which runs different software than the same player model in other regions). I know the US player will not play region free PAL (720x576, 25 fps) DVDs, even though the player can handle the same video format over DLNA just fine. You would be most likely to encounter 50 Hz discs for content shot for television and distributed in Europe and other regions that have used the PAL standard.
Edited by Vampidemic - 12/26/12 at 12:37am
post #2482 of 3995

BDP-S390 - video on HDMI, audio through line out jacks

Dear all,

I'm trying to setup the BDP-S390 to work with a projector that doesn't support audio.

I've connected the HDMI cable from the BDP-S390 to the projector and I'm getting good quality pictures.

The audio side of things is proving to be a bit more tricky. I don't have a Digital Out cable that's long enough - so I'm trying to use the Line Out (Right-Left audio) jacks. But no sound seems to be coming out of these jacks.

The manual and easy set-up imply that you take either the digital route via HDMI - or the analog route (video and audio).

I'm trying to do a mix of digital HDMI video out and analog audio out.

Is this possible?

Many thanks,

Mike
post #2483 of 3995
Welcome to AVS. Mods ask that all questions be directed to the owner's thread for your player. Start there. A little more info on your set-up will be helpful.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread

S~
post #2484 of 3995
I had ran HDMI cables from the closet to the an interior wall, it is a 30 foot HDMI cable. It works with directv, the picture is fabulous, ZERO issues, that setup happened a few months back.
For xmas my daughter wanted a Blu-ray player/streamer, I got this Sony BDP-s590. I wanted to set it up with a HDMI Switch but first I wanted to set the player up directly to tv, just to make sure it all worked properly. Using the HDMI cable that had and still works for the Directv, I proceeded to set up. It was lets say a HEAVY snow screen appeared, I could see the menu but not very well. Well I knew that would not work, so I took a 6 foot cable and connected under the tv in the middle of the room, it worked great. The 30ft cable is 24AWG gold plated from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KHCESS/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i00. The 6 foot is this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014Z29OU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Now is there anything I can do to make this Player work with cable that is installed in my wall already?

Thank you for your help.
post #2485 of 3995
Ensure that Deep Color is turned off, that may help.
post #2486 of 3995
I guess deep color is a setting in the BD player, correct? How would that allow it to work on one HDMI and not on another?
post #2487 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Technically, PAL and NTSC are color encoding systems used for analog television. However, these labels are still widely used to distinguish the varying video standards that have followed those color systems (at least until HD video came along).
Unlike DVDs, the resolution is the same for HD video on Blu-ray (1920x1080, etc.) across regions. However, as indicated previously, the refresh rate may not be. My understanding is that most theatrical content is 24 fps regardless of region, so if you stick to movies marked "region free" you will probably be fine. However, I wouldn't expect 50 Hz Blu-ray content to work in your US player (which runs different software than the same player model in other regions). I know the US player will not play region free PAL (720x576, 25 fps) DVDs, even though the player can handle the same video format over DLNA just fine. You would be most likely to encounter 50 Hz discs for content shot for television and distributed in Europe and other regions that have used the PAL standard.

you mention that region free would "probably" work. I guess this confuses me, as if it is labelled region free then it HAS TO work on my US blu ray player, doesn't it? Otherwise this is false advertising.

The 50Hz Blu Ray content is labelled specifically as region B is it not? Or, can that too be labelled as "region free" even though, as you state, it wont play on my player?

The PAL 720x576 would be movies in 720p then wouldn't it? Not the 1080p that blu ray discs come in?

I gather from what you have said is that if I buy Hollywood movies then there should be no problem then, correct? The movies for sale in Britain are so much cheaper than here, and I am going there for graduation so I would like to buy them there for use here upon my return.
post #2488 of 3995
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Technically, PAL and NTSC are color encoding systems used for analog television. However, these labels are still widely used to distinguish the varying video standards that have followed those color systems (at least until HD video came along).
Unlike DVDs, the resolution is the same for HD video on Blu-ray (1920x1080, etc.) across regions. However, as indicated previously, the refresh rate may not be. My understanding is that most theatrical content is 24 fps regardless of region, so if you stick to movies marked "region free" you will probably be fine. However, I wouldn't expect 50 Hz Blu-ray content to work in your US player (which runs different software than the same player model in other regions). I know the US player will not play region free PAL (720x576, 25 fps) DVDs, even though the player can handle the same video format over DLNA just fine. You would be most likely to encounter 50 Hz discs for content shot for television and distributed in Europe and other regions that have used the PAL standard.

Although even that can catch you out, as although main content might be 1080/24, per-roll and idents might be 1080/50. Argh !!
post #2489 of 3995
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisn1 View Post

you mention that region free would "probably" work. I guess this confuses me, as if it is labelled region free then it HAS TO work on my US blu ray player, doesn't it? Otherwise this is false advertising.
The 50Hz Blu Ray content is labelled specifically as region B is it not? Or, can that too be labelled as "region free" even though, as you state, it wont play on my player?
The PAL 720x576 would be movies in 720p then wouldn't it? Not the 1080p that blu ray discs come in?
I gather from what you have said is that if I buy Hollywood movies then there should be no problem then, correct? The movies for sale in Britain are so much cheaper than here, and I am going there for graduation so I would like to buy them there for use here upon my return.

No. Not at all. Region free simply means no region encoding was put on the disc. The fact the disk may be encoded with 1080i/50 material is besides the point. There are many titles for sale that are region free but 1080i/50 such as the recent BBC release of the Olympics.

You can rule out playing any UK DVD movie release from just about any main studio on your 590 as all those titles are either region locked or at least PAL video.

As others have noted, the 590 won't play any B Or C BDs or any region free BDs with 1080i/50.

Goto blu-ray dot com to figure out what releases have what encoding/locking.
Edited by apw2607 - 12/26/12 at 12:59pm
post #2490 of 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastie View Post

I guess deep color is a setting in the BD player, correct? How would that allow it to work on one HDMI and not on another?

Yes, it is a setting on the player. Deep Color sends a lot more bits over the HDMI cable, with most of them having no significant value, since the deep color bits are artificially added by the player (not captured in the original content). With your long cable, you are likely seeing snow because not all of the bits are making it to their end destination. If you send fewer bits by turning off Deep Color, there is a better chance that the data will make it to your display intact.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread