or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 98

post #2911 of 3999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

5GHz will always has shorter range than 2.4GHz. So, that means improved antenna design or newer more sensitive, or MIMO support, wi-fi chip. Knowing Sony, it is cheaper to go the antenna route.

Wifi is a lost cause anyway. You can keep throw money at it but the outcome is never guaranteed.

Yes, I agree. If you use these players for streaming (local or cloud) ... avoid Wifi.

The Sony players are particularly finicky with MKVs. If there is just one small glitch in your network, the Sony player will lockup playing MKVs. I've done extensive testing on this ... and now my preferred file format for local streaming is M2TS. Its far more flexible with Sony players, and never causes any glitches.
post #2912 of 3999
Can i get power over ethernet stuff at best buy, office depot, or radio shack? Office depot is right next door so i could go in there and look for stuff then i have walmart down the road, best buy is also an option, and so on.
post #2913 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Can i get power over ethernet stuff at best buy, office depot, or radio shack? Office depot is right next door so i could go in there and look for stuff then i have walmart down the road, best buy is also an option, and so on.

Of course you can. Best Buy is probably your best option. Remember, you should be able to get a pair of them for somewhere around $50 to $60 with 200mbps theoritical speed. Don't over pay. The actual transfer speed varies depending on your house wiring. So, better buy from some place that is easy to return if it doesn't work out for you.

For example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actiontec+-+500+Mbps+Powerline+Home+Theater+Network+Adapter+Kit/5215483.p;jsessionid=19D95E8E3356B016D35693CB1679C2BF.bbolsp-app04-44?id=1218625358741&skuId=5215483&st=powerline ethernet&cp=1&lp=1
post #2914 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

It shows the maximum supported stream resolution for a particular player.

The 590 supports the new SuperHD 1080p 5.8kb/s streams if you ISP supports it.

If you have HDMI output resolution set to 1080p on the player, all content (including streaming, local, disk based, etc) will be output to your TV in 1080p "upscaled".

My ISP does support it, I've watched some Super HD shows on my Sammy e6500s. The reason I'm getting the Sony is one of my AV systems is a Samsung Home Theater with a c5500 BD player integrated into it. Can't put another e6500 on top of the c5500 home theater, the remotes would clash. If that doesn't work as well as my Sammy e6500, I'll ship it back and get a Panasonic. Gave up on them when I found out how well the Sammy c5500 upscaled NF content. Much better than anything Panasonic had at the time. Been almost 3 years now and I'm not gonna give up on that very good sound system.

Thanx, thought nobody was gonna reply to that very simple question.

Rich
post #2915 of 3999
Much like wireless, results for PowerLine and MoCa will depend on your environment. Lots of users report good results with both systems, but the wiring in some residences can cause problems, so buy hardware somewhere with a good return policy so you can make sure it solves any problems you're trying to solve.
post #2916 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The 590 supports the new SuperHD 1080p 5.8kb/s streams if you ISP supports it.

You've actually seen it? Yesterday DaveFi posted in the Super HD thread that Unblock-US now supports Super HD (is connected to Netflix's Open Connect CDN) so a number of us signed up for a free 7 day trial to try it. I was able to get the Win8 Netflix app and the Netflix players in my Roku 2 XS, PS3 and TiVo Premiere to play the 4300 Kbps and 5800 Kbps "Super HD" video encodes, but was unable to get the Netflix players in either my Panasonic BDT220 or Sony S390 to play them, though the Super HD logo appeared on title description in the Netflix UI on both devices. Checking my router, neither ever connected to any servers in the nflxvideo.net domain. I set up the Unblock-US DNS servers in my router, but even setting them up explicitly in the BDT220 failed (when I tried to set them up in the S390 it wouldn't connect to the net).

All 1080p Netflix capable BDPs should work to play Super HD according to Netflix but I can't get either of mine to do it. Others reported failure to get the BDT220 to work, though I can't recall if anyone else mentioned a BDP-Sx90.
post #2917 of 3999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You've actually seen it? Yesterday DaveFi posted in the Super HD thread that Unblock-US now supports Super HD (is connected to Netflix's Open Connect CDN) so a number of us signed up for a free 7 day trial to try it. I was able to get the Win8 Netflix app and the Netflix players in my Roku 2 XS, PS3 and TiVo Premiere to play the 4300 Kbps and 5800 Kbps "Super HD" video encodes, but was unable to get the Netflix players in either my Panasonic BDT220 or Sony S390 to play them, though the Super HD logo appeared on title description in the Netflix UI on both devices. Checking my router, neither ever connected to any servers in the nflxvideo.net domain. I set up the Unblock-US DNS servers in my router, but even setting them up explicitly in the BDT220 failed (when I tried to set them up in the S390 it wouldn't connect to the net).

All 1080p Netflix capable BDPs should work to play Super HD according to Netflix but I can't get either of mine to do it. Others reported failure to get the BDT220 to work, though I can't recall if anyone else mentioned a BDP-Sx90.

Yes, tested with my S790 and now my S590.

Super HD icon + 5800kb/s stream.

I don't need to use the unblock thing, since my ISP supports Netflix Super HD.

Also tested on the Tivo. This was also working 1st week of January with Super HD, although only today I see the actual Super HD icon in the UI.
Edited by apw2607 - 2/7/13 at 2:04pm
post #2918 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yes, tested with my S790.

SuperHD icon + 5800kb/s stream.

I don't need to use the unblock thing, since my ISP supports Netflix SuperHD.

That's interesting--thanks. I checked again this morning and neither BDP will give me Super HD. Actually, neither can open "Example Short 23.976" (and "Example 8 Hour 23.976" no longer displays bit-rate/resolution info) so I can't tell for sure, but neither creates connections to servers in the nflxvideo.net domain. Eyeballing it, I think that they're displaying the super low bit rate encodes, 235- and 375 Kbps and those (plus 750 Kbps) are now gone from the Super HD servers, as of last night I think.
post #2919 of 3999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

That's interesting--thanks. I checked again this morning and neither BDP will give me Super HD. Actually, neither can open "Example Short 23.976" (and "Example 8 Hour 23.976" no longer displays bit-rate/resolution info) so I can't tell for sure, but neither creates connections to servers in the nflxvideo.net domain. Eyeballing it, I think that they're displaying the super low bit rate encodes, 235- and 375 Kbps and those (plus 750 Kbps) are now gone from the Super HD servers, as of last night I think.

Tivo:




Sony BDP-S790




With House of cards now available, not watching in Super HD & DD+, you're doing yourself a disservice !
post #2920 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Sony BDP-S790




With House of cards now available, not watching in Super HD & DD+, you're doing yourself a disservice !

Interesting that it calls it "X-High/HD"; the PS3 calls it "High/SD" (gets to "High/HD" and then flips back to "High/SD" at 4300 Kbps).

I get Super HD on all of my other 1080p Netflix capable devices (Roku 2 XS, PS3, TiVo Premiere and the Win8 Netflix app on this PC), just can't get it from either of my BDPs. Since it's all hooked up to this monitor it's not a big deal biggrin.gif.
post #2921 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

With House of cards now available, not watching in Super HD & DD+, you're doing yourself a disservice !

Though I'm lovin' House of Cards it's so dialog driven it's one of those things that I can "watch" while doing other things. Not much to see that makes me pine for the best high def, but maybe that's just me.
post #2922 of 3999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Though I'm lovin' House of Cards it's so dialog driven it's one of those things that I can "watch" while doing other things. Not much to see that makes me pine for the best high def, but maybe that's just me.

Also do yourself a favor and watch the original BBC House of Cards on Netflix. For the first time thats available in HD (netflx has it in Super HD) ... even though its made back in the 90's. Equally as good ... but for different reasons.
post #2923 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yes, tested with my S790 and now my S590.

Super HD icon + 5800kb/s stream.

Now I've seen Super HD on all my 1080p-Netflix capable devices (Roku 2 XS, PS3, BDT220, S390 and the Win8 Netflix app on this PC, all connected to this 46" LCD panel). Sometimes I have to restart the Netflix player on a platform to get connected to Super HD servers (nflxvideo.net domain).
post #2924 of 3999
So I have just purchased a 590 and I cannot seem to get it to output 3D. I have a ps3 that outputs 3D just fine. I am running it through an Onkyo 818 to an Epson 3020 projector. I have messed around with every setting available, have switched inputs on my receiver and still cannot get it to output 3D. Does anyone have any ideas other than possibly just a faulty unit? I guess I am open to the possibility that it is not 3D compatible with my Onkyo, but I cannot find any info on this possibility. It plays 2D just fine.
post #2925 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtrac View Post

So I have just purchased a 590 and I cannot seem to get it to output 3D. I have a ps3 that outputs 3D just fine. I am running it through an Onkyo 818 to an Epson 3020 projector. I have messed around with every setting available, have switched inputs on my receiver and still cannot get it to output 3D. Does anyone have any ideas other than possibly just a faulty unit? I guess I am open to the possibility that it is not 3D compatible with my Onkyo, but I cannot find any info on this possibility. It plays 2D just fine.

Have you tried disabling Deep Color? What happens when you try to play 3D content?
post #2926 of 3999
I got the 590 and its PQ in any mode is about the same as my Sammy e6500s. And that's the only good news, sadly. It does use the same UI as the Sammys do, but the remote is very poorly designed. I thought the e6500's remotes were poorly designed, but they're a whole lot better than the Sony's. The one thing the Sammys (all the various models I've tried have the same thing) do is put a counter on the front panel that works with BDs, DVDs, and NetFlix streaming content. All I got on the Sony when streaming was "Net". So, between the lack of a counter on the front panel and the hideous remote, I'm gonna take a pass on this highly recommended BD player. It's just not as well designed as a Sammy. I think.

Rich
post #2927 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Have you tried disabling Deep Color? What happens when you try to play 3D content?

Yes, I tried disabling Deep Color and the result does not change. I get the message that the 3D material requires a 3D capable device and will not play the 3D version. I did discover that if I bypass my Onkyo 818 and go directly to the 3D projector, then I can play 3D material. So, something is happening when the hdmi signal is going through the Onkyo. At this point I don't know if this is a problem that is happening with the sony or the onkyo. But I am leaning towards the sony, because my ps3 will play 3D when plugged through the Onkyo.
post #2928 of 3999
I just bought a BDP-S590. I am connecting the composite video straight to my TV and the optical out to a Yamaha amp. Is there something I need to do in the settings to enable optical out as I am not receiving any sound from the system?
I just wanted to check what others settings are before I start changing cables and debugging the hardware.
post #2929 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

I just bought a BDP-S590. I am connecting the composite video straight to my TV and the optical out to a Yamaha amp. Is there something I need to do in the settings to enable optical out as I am not receiving any sound from the system?
I just wanted to check what others settings are before I start changing cables and debugging the hardware.

I just did that last night and I didn't have to change any settings.

Rich
post #2930 of 3999
Enable bitstream and DD and DTS. May I ask why you are using composite video?
post #2931 of 3999
Working now. I think I had DSD set to on by mistake or it needed a reboot. Either way its working fine now :-)
mdavej - I am using composite because for now I have an old 32" CRT that I am using. I am looking for a 65" plus LED to replace it with. In fact I am holding off for the new 75" Samsung models that are coming out in the March time frame with a bit of luck.
post #2932 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

USB drive works fine for me. Just tested a MKV that contains three different audio tracks: DTS-HD, DD 5.1 and AAC stereo. All of them work. You can switch audio tracks using the Audio button on remote.

OP needs to understand what kind of video files he has and what audio tracks are on those files and which track is set as default track on those files. Sounds like the files he tried has 2-ch track set as default.

Foxbat - how many files have you played via USB with HD audio codecs? I seem to have a real problem playing .mkv files with HD audio, it works about 15% of the time - but most of the time it either plays the video and says there is no audio track which is obviously useless or just gives me a general error saying "unsupported audio track" - Even though I know this not to be true because if I burn a BD disc with the exact same audio it plays fine. Pretty frusrating Bluray player so far, can't play USB mkv files with HD audio most of the time - and it won't stream mkv files with HD audio.
post #2933 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcelvan View Post

Foxbat - how many files have you played via USB with HD audio codecs? I seem to have a real problem playing .mkv files with HD audio, it works about 15% of the time - but most of the time it either plays the video and says there is no audio track which is obviously useless or just gives me a general error saying "unsupported audio track" - Even though I know this not to be true because if I burn a BD disc with the exact same audio it plays fine. Pretty frusrating Bluray player so far, can't play USB mkv files with HD audio most of the time - and it won't stream mkv files with HD audio.

I only tried one because I usually use DLNA streaming instead which plays all my BD rips woithout problem.

If you have problem you need to look into what audio and video codecs are used in those files. Just because it is mkv file and I can play my mkv doesn't mean all mkv can be played back. mkv is just a container. You can dump in all kinds of different video and audio streams in there. Not all of them can be played back. IIRC, only AVC/H.264 video in mkv can be played back.
post #2934 of 3999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcelvan View Post

Foxbat - how many files have you played via USB with HD audio codecs? I seem to have a real problem playing .mkv files with HD audio, it works about 15% of the time - but most of the time it either plays the video and says there is no audio track which is obviously useless or just gives me a general error saying "unsupported audio track" - Even though I know this not to be true because if I burn a BD disc with the exact same audio it plays fine. Pretty frusrating Bluray player so far, can't play USB mkv files with HD audio most of the time - and it won't stream mkv files with HD audio.

DTS - MA is supported but TrueHD is not.

Quite honestly even though the Sony can play some MKVs it's more reliable with M2TS containers. True HD is still not supported though.
post #2935 of 3999
I've had the 590 for a few weeks now and this thing is turning out to be a phenomenal player and streamer. Blu-Rays look great on my 106" projection screen (as compared to previous Panasonic players I have used) and streaming is smooth as silk even at 2.4 GHZ Wifi. Vudu HDX is flawless and Netflix gives me Dolby Digital Plus without a hitch.

I also did a comparison for PQ between my ROKU box, PS3 and the 590. The 590 definitely does a better job cleaning up the video giving good color and less noise.

All of this was a suprise to me considering the price of this player. Definitely a keeper.
post #2936 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Of course you can. Best Buy is probably your best option. Remember, you should be able to get a pair of them for somewhere around $50 to $60 with 200mbps theoritical speed. Don't over pay. The actual transfer speed varies depending on your house wiring. So, better buy from some place that is easy to return if it doesn't work out for you.

For example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actiontec+-+500+Mbps+Powerline+Home+Theater+Network+Adapter+Kit/5215483.p;jsessionid=19D95E8E3356B016D35693CB1679C2BF.bbolsp-app04-44?id=1218625358741&skuId=5215483&st=powerline ethernet&cp=1&lp=1

FWIW, I bought my Powerline gear from NewEgg. Outstanding purchase experience. I bought a Netgear bundle called the "Home Theatre Kit" which includes a 4-port Powerline switch and a single port Powerline adapter. I used the switch for connecting my S590 and my AVR to the network and obviously the single port for connecting to my Internet router at the other end. Before, Netflix streaming quality was uneven at best. Now, it's flawless. The Powerline stuff is just ridiculously easy, pure plug-and-play. My Verizon FIOS connection is 15/5, more than sufficient for my needs. I do wish I was with an ISP that supported the new Netflix 5800kbps streaming, but to me it really doesn't matter since the quality is so consistently excellent. I'm also now streaming VUDU HDX, Berliner Philharmoniker, Quello, and sometimes even Pandora through the 590 and it is awesome. For anyone having issues with Wi-Fi signal strength and wanting to take full advantage of the capabilities of this BDP, I highly recommend the Powerline solution, especially if your home has reasonably up-to-date wiring.
post #2937 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-zed View Post

especially if your home has reasonably up-to-date wiring.

Not necessary true for that. Sometimes, old wiring works better. Sometimes, new wiring works better. That's why it is important to have a place to return the powerline kit if it didn't work out for you.
post #2938 of 3999
Hi, did anyone have a Firmware Update that don't have cinavia protection?
I hope you can help me guys, always appears the message 3 that mut my movie
Thanks!
post #2939 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Not necessary true for that. Sometimes, old wiring works better. Sometimes, new wiring works better. That's why it is important to have a place to return the powerline kit if it didn't work out for you.

Thx for the clarification. I was just relaying what I've read. Maybe "old" and "new" aren't the best qualifiers. Maybe "quality wiring in good condition" is a more appropos descriptor. cool.gif My house was built (and wired) in 1980. Regardless of whether you buy from a b&m or e-tailer, returns should be hassle-free, which is why I favore NewEgg, Amazon and other reputable online merchants. But I'm a loyal BB customer too. For products like these, where consultation is less necessary, whoever has the best price will get my business so long as they're reputable. If the prices are equal or very close, I'll typically go with the b&m since I can just pick it up on the way home rather than having to wait for it to arrive.cool.gif
post #2940 of 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-zed View Post

My Verizon FIOS connection is 15/5, more than sufficient for my needs. I do wish I was with an ISP that supported the new Netflix 5800kbps streaming, but to me it really doesn't matter since the quality is so consistently excellent.

If you upgrade your FiOS service to 50/25 (or 150/65 biggrin.gif ) would you then be able to get Netflix streaming @ 5800kbps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread