or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 39

post #1141 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I own the F12 though. And read a lot of reviews for both. Looked at the specs for both. And I have only recommended it a couple of times when it was on sale.I think I have recommended it to 3 people since it went on sale the first time at Christmas. Should I only recommend subs that I own or have compared directly in a store? Perhaps I should have said that I THINK the JBL is a better sub. But since nearly everything in this forum is opinion I didnt think that I had to do that every time.

You're certainly free to recommend or suggest whatever you'd like, I was just curious. When you say something like "This is a better sub than the F12. Especially for music." it comes across as authoritative, which infers some type of direct experience or knowledge. If it's conjecture then using words such as "might be", "seems like", "perhaps", etc. is generally advised so the other person knows it's opinion based information. But there are no hard and fast rules regarding that, just guidelines I suppose.
post #1142 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Good pick. Have fun. Don't forget, proper setup is key to maximizing performance. Do the "Crawl Test" if you can.
Will do. Thanks for the link. I never heard if this before but it makes sense.
post #1143 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

You're certainly free to recommend or suggest whatever you'd like, I was just curious. When you say something like "This is a better sub than the F12. Especially for music." it comes across as authoritative, which infers some type of direct experience or knowledge. If it's conjecture then using words such as "might be", "seems like", "perhaps", etc. is generally advised so the other person knows it's opinion based information. But there are no hard and fast rules regarding that, just guidelines I suppose.
I will be more careful.
post #1144 of 2778
JBL SUB150P back down to $150 after promo code on Newegg.
post #1145 of 2778
Hi guys (and gals if you are out there)smile.gif,
I want to add bass to a stereo set up using Boston bookshelf speakers. The room is very large with cathedral ceilings. I don't care about very low output as it's not for home theater, just music. I'm looking for an inexpensive sub that will blend well with the Bostons at about 80 hz. and fill a large space. The set up is a long way from the amp, so I'm running 16g speaker wire to the room and I want to have the sub power on and off automatically with the speaker wire inputs (not the LFE input). So, I'm hoping for an inexpensive, fast, musical sub that won't be boomy, but does not dig deep.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
post #1146 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

Any thoughts?

Budget?

In the end, it's all about the Benjamins.

When you post about music, are you posting about Mozart and organs, club style Drum-n-Bass or New Age playing in the background while in evening conversation with family and friends?

"More wine with that Brie?"

If you're simply wanting some quality bass at a "reasonable" price, then something like a BIC, PL-200 or an on sale at Newegg, Klipsch, RW-12d will get you there. If using for occasional Home Theater sound and you want to rock the place, you'll need a second sub and a room analyzing program to help integrate the sub into the room's acoustics.

Price wise, the sky is the limit but for basic playback, the Klipsch and BIC recommendations should satisfy and if you want more, there are choices in the $500 - $800 range but in my opinion, that's more for Home Theater purposes or those who like to rock the joint loud with their music.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 2/19/13 at 8:26am
post #1147 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

Hi guys (and gals if you are out there)smile.gif,
I want to add bass to a stereo set up using Boston bookshelf speakers. The room is very large with cathedral ceilings. I don't care about very low output as it's not for home theater, just music. I'm looking for an inexpensive sub that will blend well with the Bostons at about 80 hz. and fill a large space. The set up is a long way from the amp, so I'm running 16g speaker wire to the room and I want to have the sub power on and off automatically with the speaker wire inputs (not the LFE input). So, I'm hoping for an inexpensive, fast, musical sub that won't be boomy, but does not dig deep.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

I'd go with the Cadence CSX12 Mk II. On the Cadence site it's $279 with free shipping.

Al

edit: On second thought, it doesn't have speaker wire inputs and only has an LFE input
post #1148 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Budget?

In the end, it's all about the Benjamins.

When you post about music, are you posting about Mozart and organs, club style Drum-n-Bass or New Age playing in the background while in evening conversation with family and friends?

"More wine with that Brie?"

If you're simply wanting some quality bass at a "reasonable" price, then something like a BIC, PL-200 or an on sale at Newegg, Klipsch, RW-12d will get you there. If using for occasional Home Theater sound and you want to rock the place, you'll need a second sub and a room analyzing program to help integrate the sub into the room's acoustics.

Price wise, the sky is the limit but for basic playback, the Klipsch and BIC recommendations should satisfy and if you want more, there are choices in the $500 - $800 range but in my opinion, that's more for Home Theater purposes or those who like to rock the joint loud with their music.

-

We listen to a mix of music, but no low pipe organs. I don't need anything that really "thunders", just something that can fill in the low end in a large room without distortion. FWIW, we have a HSU 12 inch in the media room. That is for home theater use (we also have Buttkickers in the couch). This set up is music only, mostly clasical and new age for entertainig, but some rock and roll...I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.
Thanks
post #1149 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

We listen to a mix of music, but no low pipe organs. I don't need anything that really "thunders", just something that can fill in the low end in a large room without distortion. FWIW, we have a HSU 12 inch in the media room. That is for home theater use (we also have Buttkickers in the couch). This set up is music only, mostly clasical and new age for entertainig, but some rock and roll...I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.
Thanks

What is the approximate size of your room in volume (cubic ft)? The highest output subs for $200 would be the BIC F12 or PSW505, but they may be insufficient since you said your room is large with cathedral ceilings.
post #1150 of 2778
Throw my hat in the ring. Looking for a sub to add to my current setup in the family room used for TV/Movie viewing. Pioneer VSX-1021 + 2 BIC Fomula LCR.

Main problem I have is the layout / location is limited. Below TV / Behind Receiver or need a wireless solution. The room is semi-opened to the kitchen, 15' x 18' and budget is $200-400.

TIA.
post #1151 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

This set up is music only, mostly clasical and new age for entertainig, but some rock and roll...I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.

Then based on your above, what you need is some way cool mains and nothing more. If what you're posting is true and accurate, you don't need any subwoofers because what you need is some decent mains.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 2/19/13 at 1:24pm
post #1152 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

We listen to a mix of music, but no low pipe organs. I don't need anything that really "thunders", just something that can fill in the low end in a large room without distortion. FWIW, we have a HSU 12 inch in the media room. That is for home theater use (we also have Buttkickers in the couch). This set up is music only, mostly clasical and new age for entertainig, but some rock and roll...I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.

There really isn't anything that can "fill in the low end in a large room without distortion" I'm afraid. Not for $200 or less, anyway. If you want to stay in that range then the usual suspects discussed in this thread are perhaps your best options; BIC F12, Dayton SUB-1200, etc.
post #1153 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MameJunkie View Post

Throw my hat in the ring. Looking for a sub to add to my current setup in the family room used for TV/Movie viewing. Pioneer VSX-1021 + 2 BIC Fomula LCR.

Main problem I have is the layout / location is limited. Below TV / Behind Receiver or need a wireless solution. The room is semi-opened to the kitchen, 15' x 18' and budget is $200-400.

Cadence CSX-12, BIC F12 or PL200, Klipsch RW-12d.
post #1154 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Cadence CSX-12, BIC F12 or PL200, Klipsch RW-12d.

Thanks for the input. From what I've read, the PL200 is replaced by the H-100. Is the replacement model also recommended or look elsewhere?
post #1155 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MameJunkie View Post

Thanks for the input. From what I've read, the PL200 is replaced by the H-100. Is the replacement model also recommended or look elsewhere?

Not sure where you read that, but the PL-200 and H-100 have always been two distinctly different models.
post #1156 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Not sure where you read that, but the PL-200 and H-100 have always been two distinctly different models.

Google and forum sometimes aren't your friend...read from another forum
Quote:
The BIC PL200 is one of the best, bargain, subs there is. It is the lowest cost subwoofer than can achieve 22hz over 100db.

Lots of performance for its price. Problem is, I don't think you can buy them anymore...The Acoustech H100 essentially replaces it. With similar performance.

Only see it sold as a package like this, but not by itself.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Surround-Acoustech-PL-200/dp/B007WLQNUQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3
post #1157 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by MameJunkie View Post

Only see it sold as a package like this, but not by itself.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Surround-Acoustech-PL-200/dp/B007WLQNUQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

Make them an offer of $250. They'll probably come back around $280, but never hurts to try lower (not obligated to buy in making an offer).
post #1158 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MameJunkie View Post

Google and forum sometimes aren't your friend...read from another forum

You're being lead astray, the two are different models. Neither replaced the other I'm afraid.
post #1159 of 2778
MameJunkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MameJunkie View Post


read somewhere....
The BIC PL200 is one of the best, bargain, subs there is. It is the lowest cost subwoofer than can achieve 22hz over 100db.



Absolutely not.

Would be nice to find a $200 to $300 subwoofer with that kind of output - but no chance

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=47&mset=45

Data-Bass tested the PL-200 and it can barely put out 90dB at 22hz

It takes quadrouble the power in amplifier to go up 6dB. Your quote to reality is 10dB. So absolutely no way.

You'd probably have to have about four or more of the PL-200's to hit 100dB at 22hz, and even then it'd be nearly 1/4 distortion of 3rd harmonics because that is below port tune on the PL200.


Read the data-bass test.


Heck even a pair of Klipsch RW-12d's can't do that, and those were introduced as $700 subwoofers.
A pair of DIY Dayton 15" drivers and a 3000 watt amp can just barely do it. (100dB at 20hz)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1426307/klipsch-rw-12d-pair-vs-jamo-sub-650-pair-vs-dayton-audio-titanic-mk-iii-sealed-sub-pair-subwoofer-g2g/0_20

a 12" driver is going to have trouble producing that amount of SPL at 20hz until you get into the expensive, high excursion, drivers from the likes of SVS or equivlent. And those drivers cost more than $300 alone.


Many of these budget subs will produce as much as 115dB or 120dB at the relatively easier frequencies of 70 - 90hz...but loud 20hz playback? nope - not gonna happen - that's a tough request for a budget sub.
post #1160 of 2778
^+1 He saw it somewhere on the internet, must date a lot of french models. biggrin.gif
post #1161 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

^+1 He saw it somewhere on the internet, must date a lot of french models. biggrin.gif

I thought Jonathan was the French model. Bonjour! tongue.gif
post #1162 of 2778
whats up everybody...just got my f12 and WOW!!! totally worth it out of box... this thing pisses my grandparents off so bad smile.gif watched a few high action movie clips (dolby digital 5.1),some bass heavy music,and played skyrim about 30 mins and im loving it... took about ten mins for a starter tune,will tune heavier in a couple weeks after break in period... And to whoever suggested the crawl test,THANK YOU SO MUCH... where i was gonna put it and where it is now is completely different and makes a world of difference in the sound... amazing sub for what i paid for it... blew my mind that 150 wrms cont. can produce that much bass (im used to my two 15s on 3500 wrms in my car) im not sure what else is out there but i would deffinately suggest this sub to anyone on budget with a semi-large room... absolutely amazing...thank you guys so much
post #1163 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Congrats. I'm glad it worked out so well for you.
post #1164 of 2778
i will for sure reccomend this forum to my friends with thier HT-AVR issues/questions... you guys (and gals,i know there are some here) are the best on the net imo... keep it up
post #1165 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Then based on your above, what you need is some way cool mains and nothing more. If what you're posting is true and accurate, you don't need any subwoofers because what you need is some decent mains.

-
I have a WAF thing going with "mains".
In the media room, I have large mains for the theater set up, but the living room is not my domain. The small Boston bookshelf R/L take up a little room and can be tucked away unobtrusively. The sub can then go behind a piece of furniture out of site.
All the suggestions seem good. I'm leaning towards the Parts Express Dayton Audio Sub-1200. It seems like a cost effective solution for the large room.
I would try the F12, but the price has gone from <$200 to almost $250. Does anyone know where to purchase this for about $200?
Thanks
post #1166 of 2778
Just bought the f12 from best buy for $185.
post #1167 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwhat View Post

Just bought the f12 from best buy for $185.

Didn't know Best Buy sold them.
post #1168 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

I'm leaning towards the Parts Express Dayton Audio Sub-1200. It seems like a cost effective solution for the large room.

That depends upon what your definition of 'large' is. The Dayton subs are budget oriented, so they don't have the ability to fill large spaces with deep bass.
post #1169 of 2778
Prime316 did you get that in-store or on-line? I might grab one at that price for the man cave.
post #1170 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGCanuck View Post

Prime316 did you get that in-store or on-line? I might grab one at that price for the man cave.

What are you referring to?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread