or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 55

post #1621 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What is a "power amp setting"?
Edit...If you are talking about Music, Movie and Night you can use whatever sounds best to you.

The section on the AVR (Yammy 673) under the manual settings called "Power Amp Assign" (seen here...http://0.tqn.com/d/hometheater/1/7/u/S/1/yamaharxv667ampassign.jpg)

Truthfully, now I feel like I have no bass coming from the RW-12...occasionally I'll pick up on it, but not too often.
post #1622 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG74683 View Post

The section on the AVR (Yammy 673) under the manual settings called "Power Amp Assign" (seen here...http://0.tqn.com/d/hometheater/1/7/u/S/1/yamaharxv667ampassign.jpg)

Truthfully, now I feel like I have no bass coming from the RW-12...occasionally I'll pick up on it, but not too often.
You should post in the 673 thread. I will help you there.
post #1623 of 2778
You live in an apartment, great, compact living can be convenient when close to the centre of a city. But adding a subwoofer of any consequence into that style of environment is fraught with dangers of the first, second and third kinds. You know about these I presume...

Danger of the 1st kind: is danger you see and hear but is too far removed from you for it be of a direct threat.
Danger of the 2nd kind: is danger you get involved in (listening to Pink Floyd with a bit of gusto from your gear), but have an escape hatch (or a back door) to drop through.
Danger of the 3rd kind: is danger you are immersed in with no avenue for escape, (eg: you are closeted away in your home theatre and totally immersed in the latest crash-bang-blow-em-up extravaganza with everything roaring at near-extreme levels), you are going down.

Anything bigger than a walkman (with ear buds) is going to get you into trouble with your neighbours, sideways as well as vertically.

My suggestion is to sell up and buy a single-story house in the suburbs, make sure it is built on a concrete slab, soundproof it thoroughly and completely, then go get a twin 15" Paradigm. That's what I did, although I couldn't afford a Paradigm, so settled for an 18" JBL and a home-made 15" in a folded horn, each powered by a 1000w PA sub amp (with noisy fans, but you can't hear them when the volume is up).

Maybe that was a little too flippant, sorry, but I do luv my (expertly Audyssey EQ'd and 'subtle') big subs.
post #1624 of 2778
+1
post #1625 of 2778
imo Expertly EQd and Audyssey EQd are 2 different things and dont belong in the same sentence together. Sorry. smile.gif
post #1626 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You should post in the 673 thread. I will help you there.

Thanks, I was just going to suggest that very thing... wink.gif
post #1627 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Thanks, I was just going to suggest that very thing... wink.gif
Just looking out for your thread, Jim. smile.gif
post #1628 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Just looking out for your thread, Jim. smile.gif
Thanks, man! wink.gif
post #1629 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Programmed my Harmony Remote to Control my Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofer.

Which of the other SWs mentioned here have this Ability?

Please list them my Brand & Model Number, thank you.

Anyone?
post #1630 of 2778
Probably a Velodyne
post #1631 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim33 View Post

Probably a Velodyne

Sure looks like it, any more?
post #1632 of 2778
The Def Tech SuperCube subs I believe, but those are far from budget subs.
post #1633 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

.......You certainly know I hold a special place in my heart for budget subwoofers, but of late I've reviewed mostly units that don't fit the description (with the exception of the NXG NX-BAS-500)......

Jim,
I love your reviews here, but if you mention the NXG just one more time, I solemnly swear I'll wait a few more days for my work bonus and get one.
Your review, especially re: music output of this sub, made everything else within my meager budget take a distant back seat.
But....bringing it up again, here....
You really know how to make a guy crave & sweat, crave et sweat.

Thanx! for the subtle torture.
post #1634 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by attitudeRN View Post

I love your reviews here, but if you mention the NXG just one more time, I solemnly swear I'll wait a few more days for my work bonus and get one.

NXG NX-BAS-500

Now whip out the ol' credit card! tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by attitudeRN View Post

Thanx! for the subtle torture.

That's what I'm here for...
post #1635 of 2778
I thought about buying the NXG, but I wasn't sure if it was going to blend with my current RW-12D. I ended up ordering a second RW-12D, and it made a huge difference. I very happy with the dual Klipsch.
Edited by GusGus748s - 6/15/13 at 1:53pm
post #1636 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I thought about buying the NXG, but I wasn't sure if it was going to blend with my current RW-12D. I ended up ordering a second RW-12D, and it made a huge difference. I very happy with the dual Klipsch.

Anyone have the NXG & Klipsch? If so please comment, give set-up, room size, et C.
post #1637 of 2778
Absolute best is to NOT mix-n-match subs/brands...Tolerable is a mix-n-match setup...at best.
post #1638 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Absolute best is to NOT mix-n-match subs/brands...Tolerable is a mix-n-match setup...at best.

Thanks I have 3 AVRs, so if anyone has these 2 together, please let me know.
post #1639 of 2778
So, to elaborate, I do plan to buy at least 1 more Klipsch, if available, up to 5 more. But, if not available, want to buy in pairs.

Have a pair of Onkyo SW on one now to eventually replace, or displace to another AVR, for when I buy another.

But before I buy a 4th AVR, I want the SW & speakers the way I want them for the 3 I have.

Yes, I'm doing it bass ackwards. Should do SWs first, then speakers & last AVR.
post #1640 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

I am considering purchasing a 10 or 12 inch Dayton for a family member who owns a small apartment. So far would you say it would be worth it without spilling the beans on your upcoming review?

I am also eyeing the Polk PSW10 (eek) NXG Prosub125 and entry level Velodyne 10". This will be used with a Vizio soundbar and price will be kept as close as possible to $100.

Just an update guys.

I ended up ordering the Dayton Sub-1000 10" sub. I really wanted to go with the 12" but I had to keep in mind that this sub was not for me and therefore size would be a factor. I placed my order for it from Parts Express and it was here two days later, impressive. The sub came double boxed with a single piece of foam protecting the top and bottom of the sub while the sub itself was wrapped in clear plastic. Inside the box is a single sheet of paper which contains both the manual and warranty information.

The sub is well put together considering its modest price. The cabinet is fairly sturdy with rounded corners and has a matte vinyl wrap that meets at the back of sub around the plate amp. The plate amp is of higher than expected quality with your basic gain and crossover knobs as well as line level and high level Inputs. There is also an auto on/off switch as well as a phase switch. The driver seems sturdy enough with a foam surround and treated paper cone with inverted dust cap. The driver is covered with a nice flush mount MDF/cloth grill held on with Velcro. The grill has a pull strap on the bottom for removal. On the bottom of the sub cabinet is a flared down firing port.

I must say that I am very surprised/impressed with the performance of this sub so far. I have been breaking it in as much as possible with different types of music in my bedroom system and this thing kicks hard for a $100, 100 watt budget sub. Output is clean with no port shuffing or driver noise that I've heard so far. It seems as though you do have to turn the gain on this sub pretty high however for decent output. Sound quality with music so far is respectable though not as tight as my more expensive 10" Emotiva UItra 10 or my SVS subs. Deep bass extension is respectable as well. Test tones from the real traps CD showed decent output down to around 28-30hz in my bedroom. I suspect the 12" would dig even deeper. Throughout my low to moderate/loud volume testing and breaking in, the subs plate amp has never been more than warm to the touch. Overall I think this is a great sub for the money. cool.gif

I'm really looking forward to hooking this sub up at its new home tomorrow which will be in a small apartment with hard wood floors. I think she will be quite happy with it. biggrin.gif I will continue to recommend these subs in the future to anyone looking for a decent sub around $100 shipped.
post #1641 of 2778
Bonus is due, first 10 days in July. Consider that NXG: bought.

The fine Klipsch RW-12D was my first choice....til Jim W did that review.

Been weeks since I watched a movie anywhere, but music: daily.

Should have mentioned: my listening area is only 14'6" W X 11'3" D X 8' H.
My AVR is the lil' Onkyo TX-NR 509.

After the new SW, next purchase will be the BIC America FH-56 soundbar.

Ya'll quit chuckling now.....poor folks have poor ways.
post #1642 of 2778
Long as it sounds good to YOU!
post #1643 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by attitudeRN View Post

Bonus is due, first 10 days in July. Consider that NXG: bought.

The fine Klipsch RW-12D was my first choice....til Jim W did that review.

Been weeks since I watched a movie anywhere, but music: daily.

Should have mentioned: my listening area is only 14'6" W X 11'3" D X 8' H.
My AVR is the lil' Onkyo TX-NR 509.

After the new SW, next purchase will be the BIC America FH-56 soundbar.

Ya'll quit chuckling now.....poor folks have poor ways.

That NXG should do quite well in that room considering that my bedroom is the same size as that and the Dayton 10" as well as my Emotiva 10" subs do a great job. No chuckling here as the Dayton will be paired to as soundbar as well. I look forward to hearing your impressions.
post #1644 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Just an update guys.

I ended up ordering the Dayton Sub-1000 10" sub. I really wanted to go with the 12" but I had to keep in mind that this sub was not for me and therefore size would be a factor. I placed my order for it from Parts Express and it was here two days later, impressive. The sub came double boxed with a single piece of foam protecting the top and bottom of the sub while the sub itself was wrapped in clear plastic. Inside the box is a single sheet of paper which contains both the manual and warranty information.

The sub is well put together considering its modest price. The cabinet is fairly sturdy with rounded corners and has a matte vinyl wrap that meets at the back of sub around the plate amp. The plate amp is of higher than expected quality with your basic gain and crossover knobs as well as line level and high level Inputs. There is also an auto on/off switch as well as a phase switch. The driver seems sturdy enough with a foam surround and treated paper cone with inverted dust cap. The driver is covered with a nice flush mount MDF/cloth grill held on with Velcro. The grill has a pull strap on the bottom for removal. On the bottom of the sub cabinet is a flared down firing port.

I must say that I am very surprised/impressed with the performance of this sub so far. I have been breaking it in as much as possible with different types of music in my bedroom system and this thing kicks hard for a $100, 100 watt budget sub. Output is clean with no port shuffing or driver noise that I've heard so far. It seems as though you do have to turn the gain on this sub pretty high however for decent output. Sound quality with music so far is respectable though not as tight as my more expensive 10" Emotiva UItra 10 or my SVS subs. Deep bass extension is respectable as well. Test tones from the real traps CD showed decent output down to around 28-30hz in my bedroom. I suspect the 12" would dig even deeper. Throughout my low to moderate/loud volume testing and breaking in, the subs plate amp has never been more than warm to the touch. Overall I think this is a great sub for the money. cool.gif

I'm really looking forward to hooking this sub up at its new home tomorrow which will be in a small apartment with hard wood floors. I think she will be quite happy with it. biggrin.gif I will continue to recommend these subs in the future to anyone looking for a decent sub around $100 shipped.

Good write up, and nice job on checking extension. Way I see it most folks have no clue on this stuff, and if they are on a budget, end up with a HTIB. That is certainly an improvement over TV speakers in modern thin LCD/Plasma sets, but they could do so much better with some research and purchase of some of the budget items mentioned on AVS. And, yes I'd bet the 12" is much better in the same small room.
post #1645 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

I ended up ordering the Dayton Sub-1000 10" sub. I really wanted to go with the 12" but I had to keep in mind that this sub was not for me and therefore size would be a factor. I placed my order for it from Parts Express and it was here two days later, impressive. The sub came double boxed with a single piece of foam protecting the top and bottom of the sub while the sub itself was wrapped in clear plastic. Inside the box is a single sheet of paper which contains both the manual and warranty information.

The sub is well put together considering its modest price. The cabinet is fairly sturdy with rounded corners and has a matte vinyl wrap that meets at the back of sub around the plate amp. The plate amp is of higher than expected quality with your basic gain and crossover knobs as well as line level and high level Inputs. There is also an auto on/off switch as well as a phase switch. The driver seems sturdy enough with a foam surround and treated paper cone with inverted dust cap. The driver is covered with a nice flush mount MDF/cloth grill held on with Velcro. The grill has a pull strap on the bottom for removal. On the bottom of the sub cabinet is a flared down firing port.

I must say that I am very surprised/impressed with the performance of this sub so far. I have been breaking it in as much as possible with different types of music in my bedroom system and this thing kicks hard for a $100, 100 watt budget sub. Output is clean with no port shuffing or driver noise that I've heard so far. It seems as though you do have to turn the gain on this sub pretty high however for decent output. Sound quality with music so far is respectable though not as tight as my more expensive 10" Emotiva UItra 10 or my SVS subs. Deep bass extension is respectable as well. Test tones from the real traps CD showed decent output down to around 28-30hz in my bedroom. I suspect the 12" would dig even deeper. Throughout my low to moderate/loud volume testing and breaking in, the subs plate amp has never been more than warm to the touch. Overall I think this is a great sub for the money. cool.gif

I'm really looking forward to hooking this sub up at its new home tomorrow which will be in a small apartment with hard wood floors. I think she will be quite happy with it. biggrin.gif I will continue to recommend these subs in the future to anyone looking for a decent sub around $100 shipped.

Thanks for the write up. I always like it when someone other then me adds their two cents. tongue.gif

Your assessment is pretty close to my own too. For the $$ it certainly can't be beat.
post #1646 of 2778
I need an opinion on this, so if you guys can help me decide.

I was search on. Craigslist and I found an ad for a velodyne vx 11 subwoofer which looks to be in good condition. The seller is selling it for$100 or best offer, for $100 is it worth it, what would be a good price or fair price?

I'm going to be checking out the sub later today hopefully I will have a few responses. Thanks for the help guys
post #1647 of 2778
That's what's up. Very happy with the duals. I'm off Monday and Tuesday. I will try to play with the settings since I haven't ran MCACC yet.

post #1648 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That's what's up. Very happy with the duals. I'm off Monday and Tuesday. I will try to play with the settings since I haven't ran MCACC yet.

Nice setup.
post #1649 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincedea View Post

I was search on. Craigslist and I found an ad for a velodyne vx 11 subwoofer which looks to be in good condition. The seller is selling it for$100 or best offer, for $100 is it worth it, what would be a good price or fair price?

Depends upon how used it is, but something around $100 might not be too bad. If that's your budget the Dayton SUB-1200 might be worth considering as well. Probably won't be as nice as the VX11, but it will be new with a warranty.
post #1650 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Nice setup.

Thanks. I'm getting paranoid now since I'm hearing a chirping sounds with certain notes, but I can't figure out if it is coming from the speakers or not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread