or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 18

post #511 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Yeah; I was afraid, since I will not be using this for music, that that would mean the 150 would be less satisfying than the Klipsch.

That much room without a commensurate budget means you're going to have a compromise. Neither choice is bad, but both will have a liability of some sort I'm afraid.
post #512 of 2778
i wouldnt underestimate the dayton audio sub 1200... in the past i would have never considered it, and i didnt. but as now im on a budget so i went ahead and got two of these and they are just fine for music and home theater. i had a paradigm servo 12(?) in the past and a another paradigm and these are not embarrassed at all in comparison. they are not one note or flabby at all.

they are the best budget deal out there in home audio IMO.....
post #513 of 2778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

i wouldnt underestimate the dayton audio sub 1200...

Good point. Given his circumstances dual SUB1200's might be the best choice.
post #514 of 2778
I concur on the subb-1200 being the best sub deal going...it has nothing to be ashamed of. cool.gif
post #515 of 2778
Lol curttard will have a heart attack when he reads that. It has taken him over a week to make a decision (sort of) and just as he's getting ready to swing you guys throw him a curve.tongue.gif
post #516 of 2778
Exactly!!

I found a thread where ONE person mentioned he had both the PA-150 and the Klipsch and PM'd him to ask which he would keep if he could only have one, but unfortunately he hasn't posted since February so I'm guessing I won't get a response.

$240 for a pair of Daytons sounds nice, but I can't help but feel I'd be less happy with it. I assume there's a reason no one's brought it up until now. Also with the other options, somewhere down the line I could add another if I really feel the need or if the space I move to is the same size or bigger.
post #517 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Exactly!!
I found a thread where ONE person mentioned he had both the PA-150 and the Klipsch and PM'd him to ask which he would keep if he could only have one, but unfortunately he hasn't posted since February so I'm guessing I won't get a response.
$240 for a pair of Daytons sounds nice, but I can't help but feel I'd be less happy with it. I assume there's a reason no one's brought it up until now. Also with the other options, somewhere down the line I could add another if I really feel the need or if the space I move to is the same size or bigger.


i think people are biased against it because of the price as i was... but i thought id give it a try and the 2 of them are the best thing i have in my home theater...
post #518 of 2778
thanks to everyone posting opinions in this thread, this is by far the best resource for making AV purchases. i have been lurking and reading a good majority of the 500+ posts and just ordered the rw-12d to replace my current $99 dayton 10 incher from 2005.

i seriously considered the stf-2, and much like bond07 i think i was really curious about the forum hype, attention, and reputation of the boutique type brand. in the end though, for my usage of 95% movies and gaming, and somewhat open floor plan i felt the extra oomph of the rw-12d would be better than the accuracy of the hsu. in all honesty i am not sure i would even recognize that accuracy, but with the sub sitting 6 inches from my spot on the couch i can certainly recognize a good thump.

now i guess it's time to head back to the main speaker forum for my last decision... infinity primus p163 or cambridge s30, buying good equipment can be exhausting.
post #519 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

i think people are biased against it because of the price as i was... but i thought id give it a try and the 2 of them are the best thing i have in my home theater...

Interesting...do you have experience with the other subs in the $300+ range like the Klipsch and PA?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the advantage of the dual Daytons be that they fill the room more or balance the bass more across the room? I'm really just looking for the absolute best sound for movies, for us on the sofa, in this price range. 90% of the time it's just me and my girlfriend, and never once have any guests ever had anything negative to say about the current setup (amp-less Velodyne 10" powered by cheap Onkyo receiver). Not so worried about them :P
post #520 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Interesting...do you have experience with the other subs in the $300+ range like the Klipsch and PA?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the advantage of the dual Daytons be that they fill the room more or balance the bass more across the room? I'm really just looking for the absolute best sound for movies, for us on the sofa, in this price range. 90% of the time it's just me and my girlfriend, and never once have any guests ever had anything negative to say about the current setup (amp-less Velodyne 10" powered by cheap Onkyo receiver). Not so worried about them :P

I had a $1500 paradigm and a $700 paradigm about 5 years ago and the sub 1200's are not embarrassed at all compared to the paradigms.

adding the 2nd sub1200 gave me 4db headroom and flatter response. i place them in diagonal corners..... there is also a coupon code for $5 off, i think it is SAVE52012. i got my 2nd one for 97.80 during black friday minus the $5 also.

there is a post a few pages back with a frequency response graph that is simply amazing for a $100 sub..... believe me when i say that is pretty tight and not one note at all with good placement....
post #521 of 2778
With coupon plus shipping costs plus 5% cashback on online orders with Discover (none of the free shipping deals apply to anything this heavy apparently) a pair of Daytons would be about $245, versus $285 for the Klipsch and $330 for the PA-150.

How would the low performance compare to the Klipsch or PA-150? I know that graph looks great, but he might have lucked into an exceptional room and position. Since my listening position is in the center of a long room, that is open on the front-right, the opposite corner approach wouldn't work for me -- the only corner that's viable at all is front-left. I would think this would keep me from getting anything like that low-end he got from the Daytons?

edit: Nevermind. Went with the Klipsch. Read an unimpressed review of the Dayton with an equally unimpressive chart at HTS. No one seems to have heard more than one of these subs to compare them directly, most have a high opinion of the Klipsch, it sounds like it will go a bit lower than the PA, and it's cheaper to boot. Plus Newegg will ship faster and has a 45 day return policy.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help!
Edited by curttard - 12/10/12 at 11:28am
post #522 of 2778
hey guys iv been doing a lot oflooking around for sub lately to go with my nht SZ 2.0. and I have been looking at subs that have high level speaker outputs and inputs and I found Velodyne VX 11. Velodyne is running a special on this sub where you can get 2 for only $229.

http://velodyne.com/special-offers/specials/vx-11.html


any idea if this sub is pretty good or not? In thinking about going with the sub, since for the price doesnt seem too bad and I get 2 of them lol. what do you guys think?
post #523 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincedea View Post

hey guys iv been doing a lot oflooking around for sub lately to go with my nht SZ 2.0. and I have been looking at subs that have high level speaker outputs and inputs and I found Velodyne VX 11. Velodyne is running a special on this sub where you can get 2 for only $229.
http://velodyne.com/special-offers/specials/vx-11.html
any idea if this sub is pretty good or not? In thinking about going with the sub, since for the price doesnt seem too bad and I get 2 of them lol. what do you guys think?
What is the size and general layout of the room?
post #524 of 2778
I'm sure they are fine for an entry level sub, Velodyne is a well respected sub mfgr, but the -3dB spec for that sub is 33Hz, which means it's basically not going to do that much below 40Hz. I'd be tempted to go with dual Dayton Sub-1200's over this ($240 total) after looking at the specs and some of the reviews / graphs posted.
post #525 of 2778
Does anyone know how sensitive the input is on VX-11? I'm thinking of using one in my office for music, but I typically listen at a fairly low volume there. I don't want the sub cutting out due to weak input signal. I wish this sub had a "permanent on" switch like most other subs do and not just "auto on."

Using speaker-level inputs, FYI.
Edited by Pete7874 - 12/11/12 at 12:02pm
post #526 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

Does anyone know how sensitive the input is on VX-11? I'm thinking of using one in my office for music, but I typically listen at a fairly low volume there. I don't want the sub cutting out due to weak input signal. I wish this sub had a "permanent on" switch like most other subs do and not just "auto on."
Using speaker-level inputs, FYI.


Unlike some earlier VX10's, the VX11's input sensitivity is pretty high. It should turn on quickly, even at low volume levels.



Ian wink.gif
post #527 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What is the size and general layout of the room?

hmm i would say my layout is probably something like 12 x 18 or something like that. all I want in the sub is really a clean, accurate, tight or tight enough. I dont really like a lot of bass in my music or movies i just want enough bass for the room.
post #528 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincedea View Post

hmm i would say my layout is probably something like 12 x 18 or something like that. all I want in the sub is really a clean, accurate, tight or tight enough. I dont really like a lot of bass in my music or movies i just want enough bass for the room.
2 VX-11s would be a good choice.
post #529 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

2 VX-11s would be a good choice.

not sure if ill be using a double sub setup though lol dont think my emotiva mini amp can handle that. might just try to sell the second sub
post #530 of 2778
Any amp can "handle" dual subs, all you need is a y-splitter for the RCA output. The subs have their own amps, all the processor does is supply the signal.
post #531 of 2778
Just to be certain here. The higher the crossover, the less stress on the receiver amp. If you set the crossover in the receiver at 100 then the receiver sends everything below 100 to the sub. Correct?
post #532 of 2778
yes, the crossover determines the "hand off" point. Everything below the crossover goes to the sub, everything above goes to the speaker (although there are slopes to the crossover filters blah blah blah).
post #533 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yes, the crossover determines the "hand off" point. Everything below the crossover goes to the sub, everything above goes to the speaker (although there are slopes to the crossover filters blah blah blah).
Many thanks for a straightforward answer that I didnt have to get my Physics book out to decipher.
post #534 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yes, the crossover determines the "hand off" point. Everything below the crossover goes to the sub, everything above goes to the speaker (although there are slopes to the crossover filters blah blah blah).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Many thanks for a straightforward answer that I didnt have to get my Physics book out to decipher.

Aaaaaaaa, Macarena.

The answer will be found in your Chemistry textbook on page number.......
post #535 of 2778
I am caught up between these three - all are around $200

  1. Polk Audio PSW505
  2. BIC America F12
  3. BIC America V-1220

I would have liked to have the Klipsch Reference RW-12d but the extra $100 is too much for me currently. I will be using it for 70% movies - 30% music. Room size is 17' x 12' x 11'
Rest of the setup is Onkyo TX-709, Pioneer SP-BS41 and Pioneer SP-C21.
post #536 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepkor View Post

I am caught up between these three - all are around $200
  1. Polk Audio PSW505
  2. BIC America F12
  3. BIC America V-1220
I would have liked to have the Klipsch Reference RW-12d but the extra $100 is too much for me currently. I will be using it for 70% movies - 30% music. Room size is 17' x 12' x 11'
Rest of the setup is Onkyo TX-709, Pioneer SP-BS41 and Pioneer SP-C21.
I've heard great things about the F12 but the V1220 actually have a bigger magnet on the driver just to throw that out there smile.gif but either will do great with movies and the PSW505 is good with music but with movies the port makes some noise. You may also consider the Lava LSP10 for around $210 with the AVS discount
post #537 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim33 View Post

PSW505 is good with music but with movies the port makes some noise.

Thats interesting and strange - any ideas why it makes "noise" with movies? Is this widely reported or just 1 user experiencing this..
post #538 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepkor View Post

Thats interesting and strange - any ideas why it makes "noise" with movies? Is this widely reported or just 1 user experiencing this..

Too much air rushing in and out of a port makes the whooshing sound. Movie soundtracks are engineered to be more demanding of a system then most musical scores. Most ported subs can handle most movie soundtracks.

Right or wrong, the assumption in my above is, the subs have been properly tuned (integrated) to a room's acoustics. Just dropping a sub into a system (and room) is not the way one gets the best sound quality out of their subwoofer purchase.
post #539 of 2778
Everyone... the RW-12d is the deal of the day on N*egg today. 299

I'm not prepared for such a big box in my living room.
If I'm upgrading my Energy 5.1 8 incher, I'm leaning towards a 10 for now.
post #540 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepkor View Post

I am caught up between these three - all are around $200
  1. Polk Audio PSW505
  2. BIC America F12
  3. BIC America V-1220
I would have liked to have the Klipsch Reference RW-12d but the extra $100 is too much for me currently. I will be using it for 70% movies - 30% music. Room size is 17' x 12' x 11'
Rest of the setup is Onkyo TX-709, Pioneer SP-BS41 and Pioneer SP-C21.


Being a former owner of dual Bic America F12's, I can tell you that they are great subs for the money. Get one now and another as soon as you can.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread