or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Twilight Time thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Twilight Time thread - Page 8

post #211 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Yeah, but if it comes with one you aren't going to toss it into the trash, are you? Notification for The Big Heat BR should come up on SAE's website this Friday around 4pm e.s.t. or so I was told. You better drink a lot of water because a month is a long time to be salivating. I just hope it looks as good as TT's Swamp Water BR.

Oh, I'll have it sooner My guess is it will look better than Swamp Water. I don't really keep those magnets - SAE has been doing them for years with CDs. I'm a collectoholic but magnets are of no interest to me in any way, shape, or form. However, the first edition of The Treasure of Sierra Madre I just got - well, that's what makes me happy, although it doesn't stick on the refrigerator.
post #212 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Oh, I'll have it sooner My guess is it will look better than Swamp Water. I don't really keep those magnets - SAE has been doing them for years with CDs. I'm a collectoholic but magnets are of no interest to me in any way, shape, or form. However, the first edition of The Treasure of Sierra Madre I just got - well, that's what makes me happy, although it doesn't stick on the refrigerator.

Will have to see just how good The Big Heat looks on BR. Swamp Water has a video quality that must be one of the best that I have ever seen. It is simply stunning.
post #213 of 513
How are TT's 5.1 soundtracks from mono or stereo sources?
Or, are the soundtracks all so generated by the studio(s)?
Thanks.
post #214 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

How are TT's 5.1 soundtracks from mono or stereo sources?
Or, are the soundtracks all so generated by the studio(s)?
Thanks.

Done by the studios. So varies from TT BRs from disc to disc.
post #215 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Oh my god, what are they, Capitalists?

I never said they weren't. I was responding to the poster that said they were in it for love of movies and music.

They may love the movies and music they sell, but that's not why they got into this business.

Limited release doesn't mean it's more loved.

Quote:


In the case of Fright Night, Twilight Time was contractually limited to a run of only 3,000 copies. When those sold out, don't you think they wanted to press more, so that they could make more money? Their contract with Sony prohibited that.

As far as I'm aware, Fright Night is the only title that Twilight Time has sold out of.

As noted, they made that agreement and that's what they got. They could have contracted for 4000, 5000 or whatever amount. They chose 3000 because that's what they thought they could sell.

Even if they thought, "gee, it would be nice if we could pump out some more of these", they couldn't and keep any sort of reputation. If they did another run, those that bought it based on being a "limited release" would likely never buy another title from them again.

Honestly, the better option for them would be to simply do pre-order sales only and only buy the number of copies from the studio they can sell before they're stamped.

Note, though, I said "better for them", not the customer. It would eliminate unsold discs, but would make it much harder for the average person to buy it if they don't learn about the title in time.

What really needs to happen is for Sony to work with TT to promote the titles on their own web site and through their media channels to make sure the most product can be sold.

If TT makes more sales, they'll place more orders for more titles.
post #216 of 513
Thread Starter 
from facebook
Quote:


SALES PROMOTION COMMENCES FRIDAY, APRIL 13th at 4 pm EST.
Just wanted to give the heads-up to all our dedicated followers on FB -- starting this Friday with the pre-orders of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "The Big Heat" we wanted to alert you all to the following from SAE:

April 10 - Twilight Time's next 2 Blu-ray releases JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) and THE BIG HEAT (1953) will go live April 13th at 4pm EST. As a bonus, there will be a limited 100 signed copies of Journey to the Center of the Earth by Pat Boone! This will be an additional product page with the same price and will denote Autographed for interested customers.

Also:

Beginning Friday at the same time as our 2 new Blu-ray releases go live, buy $85 dollars worth of Twilight Time product and receive your choice of 1 of the following 5 DVDs FREE with your purchase! To qualify you MUST include Please add Free www.screenarchives.com

THE KREMLIN LETTER
VIOLENT SATURDAY
WOMAN OBSESSED
THE EGYPTIAN (DVD only)
MY COUSIN RACHEL

This promotion ends at the close of business on May 10th.

This is a first-anniversary thank-you to everyone who has supported us and made our start-up year the memorable adventure it has become....
post #217 of 513
Amusing, Pat Boone's signature on 100 copies of Journey to the Center of the Earth. That wouldn't sway me one way or the other. Neither would a magnet. I want the film because I saw it on theatrical release and had the not so good experience of seeing the Brendan Frazier 3D version which I wouldn't take for free.
post #218 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

...As noted, they made that agreement and that's what they got. They could have contracted for 4000, 5000 or whatever amount. They chose 3000 because that's what they thought they could sell.

Even if they thought, "gee, it would be nice if we could pump out some more of these", they couldn't and keep any sort of reputation. If they did another run, those that bought it based on being a "limited release" would likely never buy another title from them again.

Honestly, the better option for them would be to simply do pre-order sales only and only buy the number of copies from the studio they can sell before they're stamped.

Note, though, I said "better for them", not the customer. It would eliminate unsold discs, but would make it much harder for the average person to buy it if they don't learn about the title in time.

What really needs to happen is for Sony to work with TT to promote the titles on their own web site and through their media channels to make sure the most product can be sold.

If TT makes more sales, they'll place more orders for more titles.

Don't you ever get tired of writing an opinion about a business that you have no stake in? I know that I am getting tired reading them and will simply ignore them from now on. It is apparent that SAE and TT are not listening and won't. See the #3 post in this thread.
post #219 of 513
Hi guys, what is going on in this thread?













Oh, right, ah, um, have er fun i guess.....
post #220 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Hi guys, what is going on in this thread?

Sidetrack from the major theme of this thread: Twilight Time BRs. Need to focus on upcoming releases and what actual users think of specific BR discs.

Having received Bell, Book, and Candle in BR a day ago, I will give my $0.02 opinion: the transfer itself is OK, I'm glad that I bought it, and it is not likely to get any better for quite awhile (requiring capital to fix it, if it is fixable which I leave up to the experts). I don't think that it looks as good as Pal Joey.
post #221 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post


Sidetrack from the major theme of this thread: Twilight Time BRs. Need to focus on upcoming releases and what actual users think of specific BR discs.

Having received Bell, Book, and Candle in BR a day ago, I will give my $0.02 opinion: the transfer itself is OK, I'm glad that I bought it, and it is not likely to get any better for quite awhile (requiring capital to fix it, if it is fixable which I leave up to the experts). I don't think that it looks as good as Pal Joey.

Oh, right, ah, um, have er fun i guess.....

[/quote]

This is not criterion, they are a dumping ground.
This should be seprate threads for septate titles.
More than that equals this very mess of a thread.
post #222 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

This is not criterion, they are a dumping ground.
This should be seprate threads for septate titles.
More than that equals this very mess of a thread.

You can always create your own thread about a specific TT BR release.

As to a dumping ground, that is a bit harsh because no one forces you to buy it.

The thread is of interest to those who want to know about TT BR releases.
post #223 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post


You can always create your own thread about a specific TT BR release.

As to a dumping ground, that is a bit harsh because no one forces you to buy it.

The thread is of interest to those who want to know about TT BR releases.

Right, great PR
post #224 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

You can always create your own thread about a specific TT BR release.

As to a dumping ground, that is a bit harsh because no one forces you to buy it.

Poor example. No one forces me to buy any of those discount priced Blu-rays in those plastic trashcan-like bins at Best Buy but I doubt any one can argue those aren't literally a "dumping ground" for titles BB wants to unload.
post #225 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Poor example. No one forces me to buy any of those discount priced Blu-rays in those plastic trashcan-like bins at Best Buy but I doubt any one can argue those aren't literally a "dumping ground" for titles BB wants to unload.

Let me know when you find a Twilight Time title in one of those trashcans at Best Buy. In fact, try and find one of those titles at Best Buy - they aren't available there.
post #226 of 513
Well, I said I was salivating for The Big Heat and my salivation has been sated - just saw the Blu-ray and it is nothing short of superb. A wonderful transfer thanks to Grover Crisp - sharp, great contrast and detail and what a movie. Don't hesitate on this one.
post #227 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Well, I said I was salivating for The Big Heat and my salivation has been sated - just saw the Blu-ray and it is nothing short of superb. A wonderful transfer thanks to Grover Crisp - sharp, great contrast and detail and what a movie. Don't hesitate on this one.

That was sure a short wait! I am looking forward to it, in a month or so, whenever it is actually released.
post #228 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Let me know when you find a Twilight Time title in one of those trashcans at Best Buy. In fact, try and find one of those titles at Best Buy - they aren't available there.

You're kind of missing the point of my comment.
post #229 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

You're kind of missing the point of my comment.

I am a bit confused because this thread deals with Twilight Time BRs. So if they are not likely to appear at any firesale, especially in the near term future, what was the point of your post? I am not interested in the general condition of other producers which can be somewhat obvious, relative to your trashbin comment. But so what?
post #230 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Don't you ever get tired of writing an opinion about a business that you have no stake in?

Ironic post considering how many posts of yours are in this thread...


Quote:


I know that I am getting tired reading them and will simply ignore them from now on. It is apparent that SAE and TT are not listening and won't. See the #3 post in this thread.

...and I'll continue to ignore it every time you post "see post #3 in this thread"...
post #231 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Well, I said I was salivating for The Big Heat and my salivation has been sated - just saw the Blu-ray and it is nothing short of superb. A wonderful transfer thanks to Grover Crisp - sharp, great contrast and detail and what a movie. Don't hesitate on this one.

That's great news. I had high hopes having had the privilege of running Sony/Columbia's brand new restored studio print of The Big Heat back in 2008. It looked stunning, so I knew they had great material to work with for the Blu-ray. Day One pre-order on this one and Journey to the Center of the Earth.
post #232 of 513
fookoo_2010 and NetworkTV ...we need you to both move on. We've had a number of complaints about the two of you. I would recommend using the ignore feature we provide. If this continues, we will limit your ability to post in this thread.
post #233 of 513
Thread Starter 
Anyone get their orders in?
post #234 of 513
Site's down
post #235 of 513
When 4pm EST rolled around, the site crashed. Couldn't place an order. Maybe Pat Boone is a lot more popular than I thought. It is hard to believe that anyone got an order in and it is now 2 hours and 45 minutes later.

Will have to see what SAE has to say when their website comes back up.
post #236 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

When 4pm EST rolled around, the site crashed. Couldn't place an order. Maybe Pat Boone is a lot more popular than I thought. It is hard to believe that anyone got an order in and it is now 2 hours and 45 minutes later.

Will have to see what SAE has to say when their website comes back up.

No need to panic - this will not sell out anytime soon. The site has been up and down sporadically. Clearly they need to speak to amazon, who hosts them - either they're not paying for unlimited traffic (which is usually the case) or something is wrong somewhere.
post #237 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post

Anyone get their orders in?

Took awhile, but finally got my order in. Once the site started actually working, the autographed copies were gone almost instantly.
post #238 of 513
I still can't even access the site. It's been down (at least for me) the last hour and a half.
post #239 of 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishiro View Post

I still can't even access the site. It's been down (at least for me) the last hour and a half.

Still having trouble here, too.
post #240 of 513
Just watching the lovely Blu-ray of Bell, Book, and Candle - really nice transfer. I had a gorgeous 16mm IB Tech print of the film and this looks very much like it, color and density-wise. And, of course, much better than a 16mm print could ever look. Very pleased and IMO it's every bit as good if not better than Pal Joey. There are, of course, a lot of opticals in this film and that may be a reason why people think it's of lesser quality, but it most assuredly isn't.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Twilight Time thread