or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › mitsubishi 92" 3D WD-92840 92″ - AVCHD 2.0 ?l
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

mitsubishi 92" 3D WD-92840 92″ - AVCHD 2.0 ?l

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Question for users or vendors

I looked at the specs and didn't see the specific answer. Here is the link
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/tv/WD-92840/specifications

Background info:
My Sony 3D camcorder HDR-TD10 will output two forms of of video according to the AVCHD 2.0 spec, on the HDMI output, frame packed.

These are 1080i60-3D, and 1080p60-2D. That's 3D at 60i, and 2D at 60p.

In contrast, the original 3D bluray spec called for 1080-3D to be 24p, not 60i.

There are other TVs that already support direct input of 60i-3D.

Questions
1) If I connect my camcorder's HDMI output, set to frame packed 1080i60-3D, to the WD-92840 hdmi input, is the signal correctly displayed in 3D? Same question again, but with the camcorder's output set to 1080p60-2D.

2) Does the WD-92840 have a readout of the input format currently present at its HDMI input. For example, does it have an onscreen display that identifies that a 1080p24 3D signal is presented, identifying those particular numbers when a 3D bluray is played?

Thanks for considering my questions.
post #2 of 11
My 92" does not show any input information(maybe I don't know how to set it). My Sony is set to auto and the result is excellent deep 3D. The quality is as good as any 3D bluray movie.
post #3 of 11
The Mitsubishi will show the incomming signal if you press INFO, it is in the lower left corner. It will not show the frame rate (24Hz vs 60Hz). So it will just show 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i. In 2D the TV shows the screen format (aspect ratio) the TV is using. In 3D instead it shows the 3D format of HD (for frame packing) Side-by-side or Top-bottom. Even in 3D it does not show the frame rate.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

My 92" does not show any input information(maybe I don't know how to set it). My Sony is set to auto and the result is excellent deep 3D. The quality is as good as any 3D bluray movie.

Hi.

Is that with the TD10 connected?

If so, can you set the HDMI output mode on the TD10 to Frame Packed with this 92" TV?

With that all hooked up, and when you press the INFO button, What precisely does the TV display show?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

My 92" does not show any input information(maybe I don't know how to set it). My Sony is set to auto and the result is excellent deep 3D. The quality is as good as any 3D bluray movie.

The thing with selecting auto is that this might be SBS conversion. Could you please try this with the hdmi menu on the TD10 set to frame packed and see if the 92" TV accepts that?

Thanks for considering this tryout.
post #6 of 11
Don't know if this helps at all, but this is from the 92840 spec sheet.

Quote:


Mitsubishi 3D TVs will support the mandatory HDMI 1.4a 3D signals and a few optional 3D signals intended for the United States. Specifically, the TVs will support 3D signals
known as Frame Packing 1080p @ 24Hz and 720p @ 60Hz (primarily from Blu-ray players and gaming consoles), Side-by-side in 1080i @ 60Hz, 1080p @24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz
and 720p @ 60Hz, Top/Bottom in 1080p @ 24Hz and 720p @ 60Hz and Checkerboard in 1080p @ 60Hz. However, there may be some 3D sources that are not compatible with Mitsubishi TVs.


It's in the fine print here: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/f...t-WD-92840.pdf
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Don't know if this helps at all, but this is from the 92840 spec sheet.



It's in the fine print here: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/f...t-WD-92840.pdf

Hi Augerhandle,

I have read the spec sheets online before posting the questions here.

The Side by Side and Top Bottom resolutions are not interesting for this question, since they cut the 3D resolution in half by using half of the frame for one eye, and the half of the frame for the other eye. So each eye only gets half a frame, i.e. half the resolution of that frame.

The specs mention the following for 3D frame packed:
1080p24
720p60

The above are good for the original older bluray standard 3D.

My question regards 1080i60-3D, which has higher total field rate, displaying more natural motion than 1080p24 with full HD detail. This is what comes out of my camcorder. It is the newer AVCHD 2.0 spec for 3D.

Missing from the specs is whether the 92" supports playback of 1080i60-3D at full resolution, without needing to switch the source camcorder to SBS mode, since SBS mode (and maybe auto mode) cuts the horizontal resolution in half.

It would be a pity if this beautiful 92" set didn't support 1080i60-3D from the frame pack hdmi selection of the Sony HDR-TD10 camcorder.

If it doesn't, perhaps a firmware upgrade could correct that, to make the 92" competitive.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

Hi Augerhandle,

I have read the spec sheets online before posting the questions here.

The Side by Side and Top Bottom resolutions are not interesting for this question, since they cut the 3D resolution in half by using half of the frame for one eye, and the half of the frame for the other eye. So each eye only gets half a frame, i.e. half the resolution of that frame.

The specs mention the following for 3D frame packed:
1080p24
720p60

The above are good for the original older bluray standard 3D.

My question regards 1080i60-3D, which has higher total field rate, displaying more natural motion than 1080p24 with full HD detail. This is what comes out of my camcorder. It is the newer AVCHD 2.0 spec for 3D.

Missing from the specs is whether the 92" supports playback of 1080i60-3D at full resolution, without needing to switch the source camcorder to SBS mode, since SBS mode (and maybe auto mode) cuts the horizontal resolution in half.

It would be a pity if this beautiful 92" set didn't support 1080i60-3D from the frame pack hdmi selection of the Sony HDR-TD10 camcorder.

If it doesn't, perhaps a firmware upgrade could correct that, to make the 92" competitive.

Hi Richard,

Well, I would think if it supported it, that it would be listed. What do you mean by "to make the 92" competitive"? Competitive with what?
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Hi Richard,

Well, I would think if it supported it, that it would be listed. What do you mean by "to make the 92" competitive"? Competitive with what?

Supporting it would make the 92" competitive with 3D TVs I have seen that do support Full HD 3D from the Sony camcorder, such as Panasonic Plasma sets.

Generally, it is very difficult to get feedback into TV set makers to make improvements in supporting signals. The 3D I am talking about has been shipping in a Sony consumer camcorder for almost a year.

Already there is far more self generated content from camcorders than is available from 3D bluray, and that content is native compliant with AVCHD 2.0 1080i60-3D.

Think it would be in the spec? Think again. Panasonic doesn't list this in their TVs spec, yet it is supported. Panasonic is likely paying attention since they also make AVCHD 2.0 camcorders.

I don't think Mitsubishi is making AVCHD 2.0 camcorders, and they may not be paying attention to this type of signal yet.

I don't have the 92", but would consider it more seriously if it had this built in, instead of failing to premature obsolescence.
post #10 of 11
The 92" is no different than the other models. If you can find any of the current models on display, then try your camcorder on it.

I know sometimes it can be difficult to find one but you would get a definite answer and not have to wait until someone else with both tries it an reports back.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

The 92" is no different than the other models. If you can find any of the current models on display, then try your camcorder on it.

I know sometimes it can be difficult to find one but you would get a definite answer and not have to wait until someone else with both tries it an reports back.

Yes, and I'm sure there must be someone on these forums who lives in Northern CA with a DLP that would be willing to let you try if you asked.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › mitsubishi 92" 3D WD-92840 92″ - AVCHD 2.0 ?l