or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread - Page 73

post #2161 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags44 View Post

I've had the same problem. Called Sharp, and they are sending a tech out Monday. The Tech claims that Sharp does know about this issue (it has happened on previous models of TV's) - and they are replacing what is akin to the "motherboard" on the TV....
I hope this works....

This seems a little fishy..Some 3rd party tech tells you this is an issue that Sharp is unaware of, but he says it's a problem with the PCB? So he's gonna swap out for a new mobo made by who? If it's a Sharp part I would assume you would be getting the exact same replacement. I hate these kinda issues because you really don't get a solid answer from any1, and trying to find someone who is has knowledge on these issues seems impossible. At least for me, I have talked to the complete clueless on the other end of the phone
post #2162 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post

This seems a little fishy..Some 3rd party tech tells you this is an issue that Sharp is unaware of, but he says it's a problem with the PCB? So he's gonna swap out for a new mobo made by who? If it's a Sharp part I would assume you would be getting the exact same replacement. I hate these kinda issues because you really don't get a solid answer from any1, and trying to find someone who is has knowledge on these issues seems impossible. At least for me, I have talked to the complete clueless on the other end of the phone

Agree this is frustrating. Anyone that has the restart issue after updating to the latest firmware please let us know.
post #2163 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post

Agree this is frustrating. Anyone that has the restart issue after updating to the latest firmware please let us know.

OK - I will report but hope this doesn't jinx me - I was going to wait another week or two. I had the restart issue 3 days in a row earlier this week - updated on Thursday and haven't had it since but I have had long periods between occurrences before so this is not a good sample. I will post in another week or so but will post sooner if it happens again
post #2164 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetweckesser View Post

OK - I will report but hope this doesn't jinx me - I was going to wait another week or two. I had the restart issue 3 days in a row earlier this week - updated on Thursday and haven't had it since but I have had long periods between occurrences before so this is not a good sample. I will post in another week or so but will post sooner if it happens again

Well, for what it's worth...I've only noticed the restart issue once...My wife says she's seen it twice....I did update yesterdayand all went well, the software indicated a need t oreboot which it did fine and came back saying all was updated correctly...I did get to watch a few hours of tv and a bluray movie all the way through and didn't have an issue....Man....Let's keep our fingers crossed...I have decided to decline the tech coming out to attempt a fix as well....I see more damage being done then fixing anyhow, as these guys will run there tests, pull the cabinet and then tell me they see nothing of an issue...That's how I see it going in mu opinion anyhow
post #2165 of 3622
zero restarts since update. 8 hours of football and not one
post #2166 of 3622
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and been out of the "new equipment" game for awhile since I've been enjoying my Panasonic 50in tv for the last 8 years. I've really enjoyed all the great info everyone has been providing as I am doing research for a new purchase sometime next year. I'm pretty sure I've going to go with an 80in Sharp but have a quick question about lip sync issues. My current set up does not allow for HDMI, so I have my cable box and DVD player going in to my tv vix Component cables and then both going in to my receiver for surround sound. One of the advantages for me in having it this way is so that my wife can just watch tv with the sound going through the tv and not have to bother with the receiver. Here's my question, on the Sharp, if I use hdmi cables and have a receiver do the switching, I'm assuming I'd also need to have seperate cables going to the tv for sound through the tv. If so, will I have a lip sync problem? Also, I'll need a new receiver that allows for hdmi so what on the new ones will allow for adjustment in lip syncing?
Thanks in advance
post #2167 of 3622
Has anyone figured out if there is a wireless keyboard that will work with the Sharp browser?

TIA
Alan
post #2168 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and been out of the "new equipment" game for awhile since I've been enjoying my Panasonic 50in tv for the last 8 years. I've really enjoyed all the great info everyone has been providing as I am doing research for a new purchase sometime next year. I'm pretty sure I've going to go with an 80in Sharp but have a quick question about lip sync issues. My current set up does not allow for HDMI, so I have my cable box and DVD player going in to my tv vix Component cables and then both going in to my receiver for surround sound. One of the advantages for me in having it this way is so that my wife can just watch tv with the sound going through the tv and not have to bother with the receiver. Here's my question, on the Sharp, if I use hdmi cables and have a receiver do the switching, I'm assuming I'd also need to have seperate cables going to the tv for sound through the tv. If so, will I have a lip sync problem? Also, I'll need a new receiver that allows for hdmi so what on the new ones will allow for adjustment in lip syncing?
Thanks in advance

With a new TV and new receiver HDMI will be the way to go. A new receiver will pass video and sound through to the TV on the HDMI cable, so your wife will be happy (except the receiver will need to on when she is watching). Also. most new receivers have an audio delay capability to adjust for any out-of-sync condition.
post #2169 of 3622
well...........almost a week later after the update, I got my first HDMI blink...........
post #2170 of 3622
I'm been lurking and watching this thread for a while now. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on one of these sets, but am getting nervous with all the reports of rebooting, shutting down, whatever it is. How widespread is this issue? I'm bummed to hear that Suzook is seeing the issue after the latest update.
post #2171 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyblunt View Post

With a new TV and new receiver HDMI will be the way to go. A new receiver will pass video and sound through to the TV on the HDMI cable, so your wife will be happy (except the receiver will need to on when she is watching). Also. most new receivers have an audio delay capability to adjust for any out-of-sync condition.

Thank you! I guess that was my main concern in that I didn't want her to have to turn on any additional equipment (although I could get a remote that turns them on together). I'm also thinking that I could always have a second set up just from the Fios set top box going component to the TV. That input wouldn't be used very much but sometimes simplicity is bliss!!
post #2172 of 3622
After the upgrade and disable the power saving features I haven't had any restart issue.

Question how long do I have to wait to calibrate my tv.?
I have the set for a month now but I don't used it that much. So idk how many hrs I need to start the calibration....
post #2173 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardomreyes View Post

After the upgrade and disable the power saving features I haven't had any restart issue.
Question how long do I have to wait to calibrate my tv.?
I have the set for a month now but I don't used it that much. So idk how many hrs I need to start the calibration....
About 100 hours is good.

S~
post #2174 of 3622
So...I spoke with this authorized tech in my area, who Sharp contacted about my TV issue. The guy was nice, but from his voice, I gather a little older and probably old school, and perhaps more of a "Mom and pops" small business, so I don't know if that is a good thing with new technology...

Anyway, I explain all the issues we all have been having with the hard reboot, and tell him about this forum and all the owners of this model and its inherent problem with the power cycling issue. He says he has never seen this issue or heard of it with Sharp TV's. I tell him that I don't want to waste my time or his, if he is going to come out and pull the cabinet and look around and then tell me nothing is wrong.

So, I tell him about the power logo that turns off when this issue happens like the rest of us, and he asks me if the icon turns off or does it blink a few times? He tells me that if it blinks then the tv is giving an error code and he could check the code in the factory settings. I have only had my tv do

this 2-3 times and can't remember if the icon blinked. Do any of you guys remeber seeing your tv icon blink? Also, I would like to do this myself. Anyone know how to go into factory settings to check for error codes? Anyway, that's where I am at right now. I declined to have him come out at this

time, although he did say with the issues I gave hime, all he would do is come out to check for an error code, so perhaps I'll reconsider.. Anyway, just trying to throw out as much help as I can for us 844u owners....L8r!
post #2175 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post

So...I spoke with this authorized tech in my area, who Sharp contacted about my TV issue. The guy was nice, but from his voice, I gather a little older and probably old school, and perhaps more of a "Mom and pops" small business, so I don't know if that is a good thing with new technology...
Anyway, I explain all the issues we all have been having with the hard reboot, and tell him about this forum and all the owners of this model and its inherent problem with the power cycling issue. He says he has never seen this issue or heard of it with Sharp TV's. I tell him that I don't want to waste my time or his, if he is going to come out and pull the cabinet and look around and then tell me nothing is wrong.
So, I tell him about the power logo that turns off when this issue happens like the rest of us, and he asks me if the icon turns off or does it blink a few times? He tells me that if it blinks then the tv is giving an error code and he could check the code in the factory settings. I have only had my tv do
this 2-3 times and can't remember if the icon blinked. Do any of you guys remeber seeing your tv icon blink? Also, I would like to do this myself. Anyone know how to go into factory settings to check for error codes? Anyway, that's where I am at right now. I declined to have him come out at this
time, although he did say with the issues I gave hime, all he would do is come out to check for an error code, so perhaps I'll reconsider.. Anyway, just trying to throw out as much help as I can for us 844u owners....L8r!

The logo does not blink - sound goes out first (my sound is routed through the TV and back to my reciever with a single HDMI cable) then the logo goes out as the picture goes black, then you see the resolution in the upper right corner of the screen along with "HDMI" and then the picture and sound come back.

I still haven't had this happen again since the new update (I didn't unplug the TV for 5 minutes either). Still keeping my fingers crossed (despite Suzook mentioning that the problem came back after the update)

I wouldn't let Sharp service touch this TV - only replace it with a new one..
post #2176 of 3622
After the upgrade I had a restart issue within the first hour. I had seen the restarts before as well. I have not modified any power saving features.

Islandborn, mine are a single off and back on so just one blink.
post #2177 of 3622
Hi Guys,

While watching TV recently I've noticed large pink spot on my TV when there is white background. I'm thinking this is some kind of panel defect. What do you think? Does anyone else see this on their set with white background? I'm going to call Sharp for a replacement unit.

Thanks.



post #2178 of 3622
How would you owners rate the picture of this TV when it is not receiving a Bluray or HD signal?

Good, Okay, or Poor?

Would ya'll recommend Cleveland Plasma for an online/phone order or someone else? Thanks!
post #2179 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Hi Guys,
While watching TV recently I've noticed large pink spot on my TV when there is white background. I'm thinking this is some kind of panel defect. What do you think? Does anyone else see this on their set with white background? I'm going to call Sharp for a replacement unit.
Thanks.

Those images are a little off putting for me....It's hard to say, if it's a kind of Blooming anomaly due to the all white background but you usually see thiswith a black background, but the pink is a little confusing. I would check the screen for any dead pixels, try different backgrounds and see if there are color halos with the alternate backgrounf colors. I will check my tv with a white background and report back to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers View Post

How would you owners rate the picture of this TV when it is not receiving a Bluray or HD signal?
Good, Okay, or Poor?
Would ya'll recommend Cleveland Plasma for an online/phone order or someone else? Thanks!

Well, tbh if you're not using this 80" tv to view anything other then HD, then what's the point? to answer your question though....Standard def is ok..you have to deal with the black bars or if you go wide mode then it looks pixelated....I think my samsung 65" 2007 plasma displays standard def better then my Sharp, but then again, my sharp destroys when watching some bluray,pixar,Disney,HBO HD,Starz HD, HGTV HD, you get the idea....
post #2180 of 3622
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Hi Guys,
While watching TV recently I've noticed large pink spot on my TV when there is white background. I'm thinking this is some kind of panel defect. What do you think? Does anyone else see this on their set with white background? I'm going to call Sharp for a replacement unit.
Thanks.

That's a know issue on VERY few sets .
That's a blob that IS a panel defect start a problem ticket with Sharp
Take lots of photos in a hi-res format to highlight the effect , I've seen guys get a replacement display just from emailing the photos like that to Sharp

Sharp didn't even send a tech out to look for the problem it was all handled by emailing photos . biggrin.gif

Sharp sent a new display that was delivered, un-boxed , set up & then the delivery guys boxed up the defective display and took it away
all in just one visit
A few guys had wall mounts & they even mounted the new display on the wall as well ......
post #2181 of 3622
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post


Well, tbh if you're not using this 80" tv to view anything other then HD, then what's the point? to answer your question though....Standard def is ok..you have to deal with the black bars or if you go wide mode then it looks pixelated....I think my samsung 65" 2007 plasma displays standard def better then my Sharp, but then again, my sharp destroys when watching some bluray,pixar,Disney,HBO HD,Starz HD, HGTV HD, you get the idea....
I use my Onkyo TX-NR1009 with the new dual video to up process SD to 1080P & have NO issues with poor PQ with SD material . actually looks great not BR or 1080P quality but way better than just 480P by a long shot ....
SD is watchable Very watchable in fact the wife can't tell the difference L O L
post #2182 of 3622
A few stations on DirecTV are not HD. I was just curious if the picture was really bad on a screen this size if my wife viewed one of those stations...I plan on sticking to Bluray and HD!

Love the picture on this set at the store with Bluray
post #2183 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I use my Onkyo TX-NR1009 with the new dual video to up process SD to 1080P & have NO issues with poor PQ with SD material . actually looks great not BR or 1080P quality but way better than just 480P by a long shot ....
SD is watchable Very watchable in fact the wife can't tell the difference L O L

Thanks for the reply slappy...Ya, i have a similar setup but have and Onkyo 809. I just leave the onkyo as passthrough as my stb already scales to 1080i and I have found that if a scaled image is scaled again to 1080p by the avr, I see a little more blur and artifacts...thats what's best through my eyes though...
post #2184 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

That's a know issue on VERY few sets .
That's a blob that IS a panel defect start a problem ticket with Sharp
Take lots of photos in a hi-res format to highlight the effect , I've seen guys get a replacement display just from emailing the photos like that to Sharp

Sharp didn't even send a tech out to look for the problem it was all handled by emailing photos . biggrin.gif
Sharp sent a new display that was delivered, un-boxed , set up & then the delivery guys boxed up the defective display and took it away
all in just one visit
A few guys had wall mounts & they even mounted the new display on the wall as well ......

I talked to Aquos Advantage and they will send me an email with process information to submit the photos. I hope this will not turn into big hassle. I wonder if the blob was aways there and I just noticed it...
post #2185 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers View Post

A few stations on DirecTV are not HD. I was just curious if the picture was really bad on a screen this size if my wife viewed one of those stations...I plan on sticking to Bluray and HD!
Love the picture on this set at the store with Bluray

Yes, the PQ is bad with non-hd channels on DTV. Pretty sure all tvs are similar, but the size and out-of-box PQ issues make this set probably worse.

I have not had a reset since the update so fingers are crossed. I am loving this TV and very happy with the Chad B. calibration.
post #2186 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post

Yes, the PQ is bad with non-hd channels on DTV. Pretty sure all tvs are similar, but the size and out-of-box PQ issues make this set probably worse.
I have not had a reset since the update so fingers are crossed. I am loving this TV and very happy with the Chad B. calibration.
At the risk of jinxing it, I have not had a reset since the update either. I don't know if it is fixed or not but it has gone a little longer than before without a reset. I did do a 5 minute unplug the day before the update so I cannot be sure if that had any effect. For those doubters out there, I really love the set.
post #2187 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbig View Post

At the risk of jinxing it, I have not had a reset since the update either. I don't know if it is fixed or not but it has gone a little longer than before without a reset. I did do a 5 minute unplug the day before the update so I cannot be sure if that had any effect. For those doubters out there, I really love the set.

Knock on wood
Same here.
post #2188 of 3622
Well, I just pulled the trigger on one of these behemoths, and can't wait for it to get delivered. I just got back from watching one at the local BB and I was very impressed with the PQ. I was suprised at how good dark scenes looked as I have read a lot about how this technology is rather weak in that regard. In fact, the only section in the video loop that looked really bad was a scene where there was a pan of snow covered trees. There was a lot of pixel noise in that scene. The other sets around it didn't seem to have this problem, but they were 55 inch sets. Any thoughts of what the issue might be?

The panny VT50 did have better PQ but I live in an apartment where one wall is almost all glass, so I don't think a plasma would be an option for me and I really am willing to trade the PQ for the size. The Elite looked really amazing, but it had unique material that consisted of only night scenes, so could not directly compare.

I think I will be pleased, though.cool.gif
post #2189 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylinds View Post

Well, I just pulled the trigger on one of these behemoths, and can't wait for it to get delivered. I just got back from watching one at the local BB and I was very impressed with the PQ. I was suprised at how good dark scenes looked as I have read a lot about how this technology is rather weak in that regard. In fact, the only section in the video loop that looked really bad was a scene where there was a pan of snow covered trees. There was a lot of pixel noise in that scene. The other sets around it didn't seem to have this problem, but they were 55 inch sets. Any thoughts of what the issue might be?
The panny VT50 did have better PQ but I live in an apartment where one wall is almost all glass, so I don't think a plasma would be an option for me and I really am willing to trade the PQ for the size. The Elite looked really amazing, but it had unique material that consisted of only night scenes, so could not directly compare.
I think I will be pleased, though.cool.gif
Who knows what settings they were using but undoubtedly torch mode. With a good quality HD signal (such as BD) the set looks fantastic. I do not see any pixelation from BD. On cable it really depends on the signal quality. Some shows do have it with heavy motion and others do not.
post #2190 of 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbig View Post

Who knows what settings they were using but undoubtedly torch mode. With a good quality HD signal (such as BD) the set looks fantastic. I do not see any pixelation from BD. On cable it really depends on the signal quality. Some shows do have it with heavy motion and others do not.
Thanks, that makes sense.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread