or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE945U & LC-70LE945U owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE945U & LC-70LE945U owners thread - Page 6

post #151 of 302
Please avoid ALL TIME TV'S, INC. They are a scam!!! Be careful. They sell used items and broken too. I still have my case open with American Express from these A*Holes!!!
Please spread the word. I heard from many people that ALL TIME TV's is scamming people. I know, I am one of them. I need to blog them. I even wrote BBB.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #152 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

2nd gen Elite should more likely be Sept/Oct 2012 not 2013 unless Sharp kills off Elite to replace it with the 945. I don't see happy Elite owners suddenly running to sell their panels after all it's just an evolution of the technology and altering of the pricing structure no different than any other technology that migrates downward with time and the early adopters paid for the R&D and the cycle begins anew.
I don't buy this color grid crap unless they are expanding the Quattron system as has been discussed periodically by Sharp Executives. They've supposedly been working on the Cyan issue for ten months and these panels have been R&D'd for years in advance - they are not done on the fly with the exception of software firmware tweaks. I would guess Sharp withholds some technology to be phased in at a future date as competition and technology evolves.
.smile.gif

Yup. I totally disregard the comments from a few posters who must endlessly knock the Elite and its owners. It's utterly hysterical. But I agree, Elite owners will not be running for the doors since Sharp will still need to differentiate the Elite line from the lesser series. I also agree that the 'color grid' thing is probably nothing more than marketing speak and will do nothing for a 'cyan issue'.

However large screen sizes of very good quality at lesser prices are a good thing and I look forward to whatever Sharp brings to the table. The proof will be in the pudding. An 80" Elite would be an ureal display and the 2nd gens in general should be interesting. smile.gif
post #153 of 302
yup I totally disregard the comments from the few fanboys who endlessly praise the Elite while downplaying its flaws for whatever reason...it's hysterical

the 945 should be very interesting as it will no doubt eat into the sales of the Elite regardless of how big or little of a difference there is...most people see the Elite as too expensive and not worth the price (unlike the Kuro which was worth it's initial askng price)...no wonder Sharp tried to play up the cancellation rumors...no way did they want to kill the Elite right from the get-go

both the 2nd gen Elite and the 945 should be improved versions of the Elite...the only question is how much so
post #154 of 302
So thus far we only have rumors the 945 (with some confirmation from sharp support) that this product is real.
No release date

Trusted people at Cleavland plasma seem to be implying this is almost fantasy.....


I WANT a 80" elite or 80" 945...... just seems unlikely in 2012
post #155 of 302
Quote:
Of course during the Kuro days there were many Kuro maligners (just as with today's Elite maligners) who claimed the Kuro was 'over-priced' and not worth it. But I'm not surprised that the same Elite maligners would resort to revisionist history when speaking of the Kuro era. As a former (and current) owner of both the Elite and Kuro, with no axe to grind, I can well remember the many trolls in those threads too that kept insisting the Kuro was both overpriced and a waste of money since similar performance could be gotten elsewhere for less. Having actually participated in those Kuro threads, I can tell you that this kind of nonsense goes on in most of the high-end equipment threads. Some things ever change. smile.gif

I would expect and hope that v2 of the Elite is better than v1. I always look forward to improvements in tech. But I doubt the rumored 945 will be superior to the Elite. Time will tell. More likely, it could be a great choice for those that don't need or can't afford the Elite and all it offers.
post #156 of 302
if/when the 945 comes out I doubt it will technically be as good as the current Elite (less dimming zones etc)...but I am curious to see if they fix the cyan/teal etc color issues with the 945 or even the pulsing...that tradeoff would make an interesting comparison in terms of overall value...plus 80-85% of the performance of the current Elite at a much lower price point would generate some interesting discussions on which is the better overall set
post #157 of 302
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

if/when the 945 comes out I doubt it will technically be as good as the current Elite (less dimming zones etc)...but I am curious to see if they fix the cyan/teal etc color issues with the 945 or even the pulsing...that tradeoff would make an interesting comparison in terms of overall value...plus 80-85% of the performance of the current Elite at a much lower price point would generate some interesting discussions on which is the better overall set
I would Guess (we are all guessing here anyway) that they have fixed both the Pulsing & Cyan issue , as it's a hardware fix that would be addressed in the a newer model . The Elite has been so trashed over this cyan & pulsing that , Hey maybe there is no Elite V2 that will come to market . The Elite could just be a one-off , it's said that the Elite division has not made any profit & Sharp is not in any mood to keep losing cash flow .
But we are all just guessing , Sharp is known to keeps cards very close to their chests so to speak ,
What is not a guess is that the LC-70LE945U & the LC-60LE945U is due to be released this fall or the earliest late summer , depending on Emails directly from Sharp that have been posted here on this thread .

EDIT I had a Typo pushed the 8 instead of the 9 ; corrected now biggrin.gif
Edited by Fastslappy - 7/29/12 at 1:25pm
post #158 of 302
If we can assume the 945 is really an "Elite Lite" , just how much overlap will there be because of price structures? The MSRP of the Elite was $7999 iirc but can be had for $6500 now. If they start the 945 off at $5999, that's a 25% price drop from the Elite but only $500 less than having the real thing. I don't think it's reasonable to assume much lower than that because the 65" Sony 929 with a lot less dimming zones was $5500. It seems to me for the 945 to really carve out a spot for itself, the price would need to be around $4999 but I don't see that happening.
post #159 of 302
Software Update:

I don't know what it did, but my wife just informed me we got one.
post #160 of 302
What works for me is the 70" 945 for the "street price" of mid to high $3k. If it is more, I rather get the XBR, or even VT50.
just waiting...... Full-Array local dimming market is so silent, I can't stand it. ehhhh
post #161 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post

What works for me is the 70" 945 for the "street price" of mid to high $3k. If it is more, I rather get the XBR, or even VT50.
just waiting......

I agree...they need to price it lower then or relatively close to the Sony and VT50
post #162 of 302
Sony XBR and the VT50 are worlds apart in pricing.
I wish some other brands could step up and bring top end LCDs. Toshiba has killer LCD tech, but no love for USA, they have their goodies in Japan and Europe.
post #163 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post

What works for me is the 70" 945 for the "street price" of mid to high $3k. If it is more, I rather get the XBR, or even VT50.
just waiting...... Full-Array local dimming market is so silent, I can't stand it. ehhhh

I would be shocked if the price were anything near that. LCD technology is inheritly more expensive than plasma. And full array backlit with local dimming is more expensive than standard LCD tech (CCFL/ edge lit). I think if we are lucky it will be around 5K.
post #164 of 302
Is there any real evidence that this is actually going to happen in 2012?
post #165 of 302
In the same token, who'd buy the 945 for 5k when the Elite can be had for that much, or less. IMO, Sharp has to price it lower if they want to move units.
post #166 of 302
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post

Is there any real evidence that this is actually going to happen in 2012?
Yes .. read back in the thread there are direct emails from Sharp posted stating that the display will be released this year .
there is pre-production model ,that is reviewed as well with a photo .
I feel the delay was the same issue with the Elite, cyan & pulsing
post #167 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

In the same token, who'd buy the 945 for 5k when the Elite can be had for that much, or less. IMO, Sharp has to price it lower if they want to move units.

I was referring to the 70" model. I honestly have not been following the 60" Elite nor it's pricing.
post #168 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I feel the delay was the same issue with the Elite, cyan & pulsing

if the delay was due to those 2 issues then that means that it should be fixed on the 945...I think the delay had more to do with the fact that they did not want to cut into the Elites' profit base...the extra 15% or so that the Elite will have over the 945 won't matter as much to most people who think that the current Elite's are flawed due to the color issue...I'm also interested in finding out more about the 2nd gen Elite's but I'm thinking the 945 might be an early preview of some things we can expect
post #169 of 302
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

if the delay was due to those 2 issues then that means that it should be fixed on the 945...I think the delay had more to do with the fact that they did not want to cut into the Elites' profit base...the extra 15% or so that the Elite will have over the 945 won't matter as much to most people who think that the current Elite's are flawed due to the color issue...I'm also interested in finding out more about the 2nd gen Elite's but I'm thinking the 945 might be an early preview of some things we can expect
If there is a new 2nd gen of Elite to even come out .. Sharp has never officially said there was a Elite V2 , where they have stated there is 945 about to be released BUT all that goes back to marketing as you referred to .
post #170 of 302
A flip side of the coin is they might be thinking an Elite version 2 would cut into the profit base of the new 945. Unless the 945 is like half the price of the Elite or is 4K or OLED, I think there is too much overlap. I doubt it though.
Edited by kdog750 - 8/2/12 at 8:14am
post #171 of 302
This is killing me ... I want a new TV but NOTHING is out there that's full array anymore for some reason .... hell my Vizio XVT Full Array TV I currently have blows the 70" Sharp 800 series out of the water in all areas (just took the sharp back to Costco today).

I can't stand all this Edge-Lit crap ... the bad picture and Ghosting/Halo effect is a deal killer for me.

I wish something would get released about this or I may have to just cross my fingers and go with the Panasonic 65VT50 (or GT) Plasma.
post #172 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

A flip side of the coin is they might be thinking an Elite version 2 would cut into the profit base of the new 945. Unless the 945 is like half the price of the Elite or is 4K or OLED, I think there is too much overlap. I doubt it though.
Sharps bigger concerns are losses exceeding a Billion+ for three months. We may see some serious restructuring as they are talking thousands of layoff's.

My thought is the Elite experiment may not be working out financially "NOT" = profits, as a Boutique panel usually doesn't turn alot of profits because of price/volume cannot deliver on that especially in this economy and the currency exchange issues. Not to blame it on the Elite Tier as it has succeeded as a Tech but at what cost? It may be time to take Elite technology mainstream at consumer friendly pricing to get volume instead of bragging rights at the expense of making money for the shareholders which is why they are in business.

Hard to believe they've lost so much money but I guess one of the problems may be that so many furniture dealers are giving away Cheap plasma/lcd's TV's as promo's for something we paid thousands for a few years back that it's cutting into sales - (Amazing that consumers actually believe they are getting a FREE TV when they are just buying junk furniture and getting a basic TV built into it's pricing structure). Also, China is perhaps cutting heavily as they use their Red Slave Labor to destroy the rest of the World's competitiveness and Sharp is partnering with China to build them a new 8G plant but China was demanding a replica of the Saiki 10G plant which would eventually destroy and canibalize it's Saiki plant sooner or later. Profit picture may be so dire at Sharp that it may force them into the China deal.

Many more would welcome Elite Technology tweaked and brought mainstream at friendly consumer pricing as a 945 IMO and this would be an evolution where technology eventually trickles down or evolves or may go extinct as a product line and it all just goes mainstream. Just wish other technology could drop in price like electronics, imagine a $100K sports car dropping to $20K after three years - why is there never any price fixing in manufacturing of autos yet Panel builders get hit year after year? Hopefully Sharp announces plans soon as the first anniversary of Elite will be very soon. Have a good day!smile.gif
post #173 of 302
I was pretty sure earlier in the thread somewhere that the 60" 945 was gonna be msrp around $3,200....we shall see. I have been waiting on it for months and i'm about tired of waiting, but it seems almost every post on the 845/847 thread has motion issues, clouding issues, halo...etc.....
post #174 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

This is killing me ... I want a new TV but NOTHING is out there that's full array anymore for some reason .... hell my Vizio XVT Full Array TV I currently have blows the 70" Sharp 800 series out of the water in all areas (just took the sharp back to Costco today).
I can't stand all this Edge-Lit crap ... the bad picture and Ghosting/Halo effect is a deal killer for me.
I wish something would get released about this or I may have to just cross my fingers and go with the Panasonic 65VT50 (or GT) Plasma.

I have been on the same boat for a couple of years. 2009-2010 was the golden year of Full-Array Local dimming; most manufactures made them. Sony, LG, Toshiba, Samsung, even Vizio as you mentioned.

But Samsung was the first to drop this tech and go Edge-lit all the way, lowering costs and gaining huge profits.
We as consumers pushed the industry to choose Edge-lit over Full-Array. Just look at the average Joe who is out there for the thinnest panel. The fact is the quality of today's LEDs are good enough for most people (not us of course), so manufactures invest into making thin sexy edge-lit sets, and not best looking picture.
post #175 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

imagine a $100K sports car dropping to $20K after three years -

Go look at a 24-36 month old AMG Mercedes (Any model line), especially the higher end 63-600-65 series. 2009-2010 S65's which sold for ~$200k are $70k now..

Tech anything just plummets as new technology arrives and drives costs down. It's a fact of anything relating to phones, computers, and TV's.
post #176 of 302
sure many would buy 945 around $3k, however
how many?
100 - 500 people who want good PQ at reasonable price.
even 1000 people would not make enough if any profit to justify 945 production - IMHO

who other perspective 10k - 20k people who on market for new TV?
mostly for price range below $1k, next tear slick TV under $2k - done
and with promised OLED 55" around $8k that later can come down in price below $5k that can kill Elite and Sony XBR the next year.

Somehow I don't see much business sense to invest into good quality LCD anymore ... :-(
keep in mind that major transition into HD based panel already happened and now it's just upgrades that may be 10% only out of original demand for HD panels.
What it means? the gap between cheap TV and good quality TV will be extended even more.
Kind of cheap TV $1k and good TV $8k with some TV at $2k and nothing in between
with such price difference upgrade justification for good PQ TV will extend time from 2 years to 6+ years
we already see that real PQ improvement comes every 2-3 years, while company just change model # without tech changes - think Sony XBR

I hope I'm wrong as I want to get good PQ TV at reasonable price.
all this just my opinion and nothing else.

what I want to upgrade? Sony XBR 909 52" to larger size - so 70LE945 would be my logical choice if Sharp will make it this year...
post #177 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

I was pretty sure earlier in the thread somewhere that the 60" 945 was gonna be msrp around $3,200....we shall see. I have been waiting on it for months and i'm about tired of waiting, but it seems almost every post on the 845/847 thread has motion issues, clouding issues, halo...etc.....

Ohhh ya .... I just returned the 70" Sharp 847 due to a really rough picture on most sources and the worst thing possible .... Horrible Ghosting / Halo effect on sports! The Edge-Lit 8XX series Sharps are worthless! Movies and what not look great but regular cable HD and ANY kind of sports is bad ... heck I was watching gold and just Tiger walking was pure Halo effect as he walked (and hes I have been trying EVERY setting possible here form AVS and nothing looked good at all).

I returned it last night and I am now back to the 2 year old Vizio XVT 55" Full Rear Array LED and it looks SOOO much better then the new Sharp did.

Now I'm stuck on what the heck I'm gonna buy now ... the only other tv I have tossing around trying is the Panasonic 65VT50 (or GT) Plasma .... Still have been sold on that yet.

PLEASE bring back Full Array LED's !!!
post #178 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Sharps bigger concerns are losses exceeding a Billion+ for three months. We may see some serious restructuring as they are talking thousands of layoff's.
My thought is the Elite experiment may not be working out financially "NOT" = profits, as a Boutique panel usually doesn't turn alot of profits because of price/volume cannot deliver on that especially in this economy and the currency exchange issues. Not to blame it on the Elite Tier as it has succeeded as a Tech but at what cost? It may be time to take Elite technology mainstream at consumer friendly pricing to get volume instead of bragging rights at the expense of making money for the shareholders which is why they are in business.
Hard to believe they've lost so much money but I guess one of the problems may be that so many furniture dealers are giving away Cheap plasma/lcd's TV's as promo's for something we paid thousands for a few years back that it's cutting into sales - (Amazing that consumers actually believe they are getting a FREE TV when they are just buying junk furniture and getting a basic TV built into it's pricing structure). Also, China is perhaps cutting heavily as they use their Red Slave Labor to destroy the rest of the World's competitiveness and Sharp is partnering with China to build them a new 8G plant but China was demanding a replica of the Saiki 10G plant which would eventually destroy and canibalize it's Saiki plant sooner or later. Profit picture may be so dire at Sharp that it may force them into the China deal.
Many more would welcome Elite Technology tweaked and brought mainstream at friendly consumer pricing as a 945 IMO and this would be an evolution where technology eventually trickles down or evolves or may go extinct as a product line and it all just goes mainstream. Just wish other technology could drop in price like electronics, imagine a $100K sports car dropping to $20K after three years - why is there never any price fixing in manufacturing of autos yet Panel builders get hit year after year? Hopefully Sharp announces plans soon as the first anniversary of Elite will be very soon. Have a good day!smile.gif

I just read about this on a financial page. This kind of news will probably cause a major course correction at Sharp. I question now whether there will be a 945 or a continuation of the Elite brand.

But if full array backlit with local dimming dies out, they should just bring back CCFL LCD tv's. They are still far, far superior to edge lit.
post #179 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Sharps bigger concerns are losses exceeding a Billion+ for three months. We may see some serious restructuring as they are talking thousands of layoff's.
My thought is the Elite experiment may not be working out financially "NOT" = profits, as a Boutique panel usually doesn't turn alot of profits because of price/volume cannot deliver on that especially in this economy and the currency exchange issues. Not to blame it on the Elite Tier as it has succeeded as a Tech but at what cost? It may be time to take Elite technology mainstream at consumer friendly pricing to get volume instead of bragging rights at the expense of making money for the shareholders which is why they are in business.
Hard to believe they've lost so much money but I guess one of the problems may be that so many furniture dealers are giving away Cheap plasma/lcd's TV's as promo's for something we paid thousands for a few years back that it's cutting into sales - (Amazing that consumers actually believe they are getting a FREE TV when they are just buying junk furniture and getting a basic TV built into it's pricing structure). Also, China is perhaps cutting heavily as they use their Red Slave Labor to destroy the rest of the World's competitiveness and Sharp is partnering with China to build them a new 8G plant but China was demanding a replica of the Saiki 10G plant which would eventually destroy and canibalize it's Saiki plant sooner or later. Profit picture may be so dire at Sharp that it may force them into the China deal.
Many more would welcome Elite Technology tweaked and brought mainstream at friendly consumer pricing as a 945 IMO and this would be an evolution where technology eventually trickles down or evolves or may go extinct as a product line and it all just goes mainstream. Just wish other technology could drop in price like electronics, imagine a $100K sports car dropping to $20K after three years - why is there never any price fixing in manufacturing of autos yet Panel builders get hit year after year? Hopefully Sharp announces plans soon as the first anniversary of Elite will be very soon. Have a good day!smile.gif


Well said, and unfortunately, you are right on.
post #180 of 302
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Ohhh ya .... I just returned the 70" Sharp 847
PLEASE bring back Full Array LED's !!!
Get a 632 80" that display @ the moment has the fewest Issues of any modern Sharp in years , it's back full array lighted , a non Quad pixel , But it's not 3D & they can be had for >$ 3800.oo Shipped
I have had one for 9 months now it's my "hold-me-till a local dimming is refined " Display, it's really a great PQ not Elite PQ but 80% PQ near a Elite @ a much lower $ & NO Issues

I wait for the 945 for the bedroom & I wait for a 80 Or a 90" Local dimming model for my ManCave , in mean time this 80" 632 is stellar while I wait . I really don;t want to wait & have a crappy small size 60" to wtch as I hold off ... smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE945U & LC-70LE945U owners thread