or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 53

post #1561 of 2660
Does anyone know if the universal Playstation 3D glasses work with the LC-60C8470U? If so/not, does anyone know of any other universal 3D glasses that work with this TV?
post #1562 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankVP View Post

New firmware available today, per Sharps site it adds the following
This firmware adds Pandora and Accedo applications.

Thanks for posting!
post #1563 of 2660
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankVP View Post

New firmware available today, per Sharps site it adds the following
This firmware adds Pandora and Accedo applications.
The guys on the Sharp 80" 844 thread are posting this F/W locking up their displays . I'd wait before up-grading , it's best NOT to be a Test Bunny wink.gif
post #1564 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

The guys on the Sharp 80" 844 thread are posting this F/W locking up their displays . I'd wait before up-grading , it's best NOT to be a Test Bunny wink.gif

I updated today before I posted and so far no problems. I was able to log in to my Pandora account with no problem. I will post right away if I have any issues.
post #1565 of 2660
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankVP View Post

I updated today before I posted and so far no problems. I was able to log in to my Pandora account with no problem. I will post right away if I have any issues.
That's good to hear smile.gif
I'm not saying this wide spread across all Sharp 2012 displays but just be cautious with any "New" F/W on any device , The In-house MFGer's testing of firmware these days is not as good as years past ......companies now throw out a F/W & let the pubic be the "Beta" testers these days to save money
post #1566 of 2660
Are you guys still experiencing the reboot issue on the 60" set? Every once in a while I get a random reboot for no reason. It is sporatic and I can not determine a pattern. Anyone found a fix?

I keep doing the software updates hoping for a fix, but something tells me this may be hardware related. Aquos advantage just wants to send a repair guy out....I will return this TV to store before I settle for a new worked on set. A new TV should not have these problems.

This is the second one of these TV's that I have had (swapped first one for this one) and both have randomly reboot.
post #1567 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post

Saga continues. Service Tech installed new power supply board on Saturday. Everything checked out. After Service Tech left, I watched for about twenty minutes, and power went off again. This time, however, chevron is flashing a code of long-short. Called Service Tech who said the long-short code indicates a more serious problem. Then called AQUOS Advantage again. They tried to get me into the service menu -- the unit would actually power on for 2-3 seconds, then power off with the flashing chevron. Since we couldn't get into the service menu, they said they couldn't do any more over the phone, and they were referring the case to a "manager" who would contact me in 2-4 business delays. I'm not sure what "manager" means, and I'm not happy about another delay, but there doesn't seem much I can do about it.

Thanks to all for your advice. The latest -- Monday late, I contacted AQUOS Advantage since I hadn't heard back from them. Rep said case was just updated, and ran me through a procedure to force the unit to boot even with software or hardware problems. It didn't work! Received a call Tuesday offering a replacement. I finalized the arrangements for shipment on Wednesday. They said I'll receive the same model. I'm afraid it will probably be a refurbished unit (they so warned), but I can live with that as long as I have the warranty (I was planning on purchasing the extended warranty anyway) and the picture quality is as good as it was on the failed unit. I've had good luck with other refurbished electronics in the past, so I hope my good fortune holds on that count. They did give me an option to return it to the retailer for a replacement, but that would have presented additional hassles for me. Having them ship the replacement seemed the lesser of evils. I expect a total downtime of at least three weeks without the TV since the unit failure. Not all bad -- got reacquainted with my wife and kids:)
post #1568 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaVegas View Post

Are you guys still experiencing the reboot issue on the 60" set? Every once in a while I get a random reboot for no reason. It is sporatic and I can not determine a pattern. Anyone found a fix?
I keep doing the software updates hoping for a fix, but something tells me this may be hardware related. Aquos advantage just wants to send a repair guy out....I will return this TV to store before I settle for a new worked on set. A new TV should not have these problems.
This is the second one of these TV's that I have had (swapped first one for this one) and both have randomly reboot.

From my experience, if you are having the reboot issue (and it is truly a power off where the chevron goes off and then back on), I advise getting it repaired or otherwise resolved quickly. I experienced the random reboots three or four times (over a period of, perhaps, six weeks), and then recently the unit powered itself and wouldn't power on back on. It led to a couple of repair service visits, a lot of phone calls to Sharp, and now am awaiting replacement of the TV. Can't say for certain, but service tech thought reboots and eventual failure were related. In any event, a new TV shouldn't have any power reboots. So, I advise acting quickly.
post #1569 of 2660
I updated my TV with the new Firmware yesterday without any problems. Update was done manually using the Network.
TV seems to be ok so far.

regards,
chapper
post #1570 of 2660
Mine also automatically updated updated, no issues that I am aware of.
post #1571 of 2660
Forgive me if this was posted before but I have been having problems with watching some DVDs using the new Sharp BD-AMS20U and my 70". These DVDs would studder with video but sound was ok. I noticed it while watching Buffy and my g/f noticed it during Sex and the city. I turned off motion enhancement which I think resolved it for now. However I am now noticing a bad pixel in the screen. Only one for now and only motice it when close to the TV with a dark screen. I know that I won't be able to get the TV replaced for one pixel but if I start to notice more I will definately get a replacement especially due to the clouding that I have.
post #1572 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebKev View Post

Does anyone know if the universal Playstation 3D glasses work with the LC-60C8470U? If so/not, does anyone know of any other universal 3D glasses that work with this TV?


FYI.....

I just tested the Playstation 3D glasses, with the aforementioned TV, and they work perfectly. They actually reproduce color better than the Sharp 3D glasses that came with the TV. The Playstation 3D glasses are on sale at Best Buy this week for a ridiculous price. If you need extra 3D glasses, this may be your opportunity to get what you need. Enjoy !!!
post #1573 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post

From my experience, if you are having the reboot issue (and it is truly a power off where the chevron goes off and then back on), I advise getting it repaired or otherwise resolved quickly. I experienced the random reboots three or four times (over a period of, perhaps, six weeks), and then recently the unit powered itself and wouldn't power on back on. It led to a couple of repair service visits, a lot of phone calls to Sharp, and now am awaiting replacement of the TV. Can't say for certain, but service tech thought reboots and eventual failure were related. In any event, a new TV shouldn't have any power reboots. So, I advise acting quickly.

Thank you for your response. I am starting to think this entire product line is defective...too many issues on the board for a new TV that just came out. My issue of "random reboots" has not gone away with software updates, turning set off, doing factory reset, etc... So I guess I will return the TV to the store -- not worth the time and effort to do all those calls and repairs.

So thanks again for the confirmation on how serious the issue is for the set.
post #1574 of 2660
Where can I find the manufacture date on my TV?
post #1575 of 2660
A couple of thins on the firmaware and the warrantys.

I received the firmware upate ID 405U1210161 on the first. Sharp message indicated it was for additional widgits for facebook, Skype, or others as I really didn't pay that much attention.No other modiifications were mentioned.

On the Sharp warraanty, it is through a 3rd party and if is based on the price you payed for your set. If you payed from about 2500 to 3200 as I did your cost is $179 for 3 years.Now, if you buy the warranty up to about 6 months AFTER your original purchase date, the cost stays at $179. After that, it goes up to $379. I arrived at this by entering different purchase dates. You may want to experiment with that and obviously postpone to the last possible day and get 3.5 years coverage. Or wait till the end and get 4 years for $379. I guess your choice but mine would probably be the 3.5 for $179. I have't been seeint all the "complaint" reflected above by the poster on the Sharp warranty provider so without some anecdotal references I have to sort of discredit it. What I have read recently was that the service has beeb pretty timely. Even though Sharp doesn't own the company, they did loan their name to it ( for a cut I'm sure).
post #1576 of 2660
Wow is my keyboard work bad!
post #1577 of 2660
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpc View Post

A couple of thins on the firmaware and the warrantys.
I received the firmware upate ID 405U1210161 on the first. Sharp message indicated it was for additional widgits for facebook, Skype, or others as I really didn't pay that much attention.No other modifications were mentioned.
On the Sharp warranty, it is through a 3rd party and if is based on the price you payed for your set. If you payed from about 2500 to 3200 as I did your cost is $179 for 3 years.Now, if you buy the warranty up to about 6 months AFTER your original purchase date, the cost stays at $179. After that, it goes up to $379. I arrived at this by entering different purchase dates. You may want to experiment with that and obviously postpone to the last possible day and get 3.5 years coverage. Or wait till the end and get 4 years for $379. I guess your choice but mine would probably be the 3.5 for $179. I have't been seeint all the "complaint" reflected above by the poster on the Sharp warranty provider so without some anecdotal references I have to sort of discredit it. What I have read recently was that the service has beeb pretty timely. Even though Sharp doesn't own the company, they did loan their name to it ( for a cut I'm sure).
If you register your display with Sharp Aquos then your added 3 months + to the 12 month period that equals = 15 months of warranty IF you add a extended warranty with Sharp then that extended service begins at the end of the 15 months so in total that's 4 year 3 month warranty . Sharp warranty service is exceptional & timely . I have not heard of anyone not satisfied with them at all once a problem has been diagnosed . Sharp is very quick to replace bad displays .
Edited by Fastslappy - 11/3/12 at 12:42pm
post #1578 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

That's good to hear smile.gif
I'm not saying this wide spread across all Sharp 2012 displays but just be cautious with any "New" F/W on any device , The In-house MFGer's testing of firmware these days is not as good as years past ......companies now throw out a F/W & let the pubic be the "Beta" testers these days to save money
Hold off on the F/W update. Breaks access to web apps. Called Sharp. Unknown as to when a fixed firmware will be available. My update from the usb drive was stuck at 35%. Set restarted on old f/w and said there was an update available. Update over the air was stuck at 67%. Only way out was to call Sharp. Unplug set, Wait. Plug set back in. No more smart central for a while..Don't really use it, but was looking forward to the pandora app.
post #1579 of 2660
Myoda,when mine was loading the update it ran up the scale to about the 2/3's point and then showed it was done. I just tried the smart Central button and it worked fine. However, ther was no Pandora app only Vudu, YouTube, HuluPlus, CinemaNow, Aquos Advantage Live, Vudu Apps (which has facebook, twitter, and a whole bunch of other stuff), Netflix, Web Browser, Film Fresh, Skype, USB Media and Home Network. Since I hadn't explored these much befor the update, I don't what did chage but I don seem to be having sny problems.

I did my update "manually" after receiving the update message.


Fast Slappy,, thanks for the warranty sign up tip as I was not aware of that.
post #1580 of 2660
Myoda, I stand corrected, what I posted is what I FIRST see, then if I select the new Smart Central choice all the other choices including Pandora, Rhapsody,the games, social, etc, appear. See I AM still learning/finding my way.
post #1581 of 2660
Quote:
Hold off on the F/W update. Breaks access to web apps. Called Sharp. Unknown as to when a fixed firmware will be available. My update from the usb drive was stuck at 35%. Set restarted on old f/w and said there was an update available. Update over the air was stuck at 67%. Only way out was to call Sharp. Unplug set, Wait. Plug set back in. No more smart central for a while..Don't really use it, but was looking forward to the pandora app.

This is exactly what happened to my set.

Its clear Sharp has a firmware problem with their latest release.
post #1582 of 2660
I bought two extra sets of 3D glasses for my 60" Elite (which I am loving, btw) from BB. They are model number AN3DG30. I think they were $49.99 ea but I got them with BB Rewards points so I could be wrong on that. They work great, I can't really tell any difference between the originals (model AN3DG20EL) and the newer ones. The new ones are a slightly different shape, narrower, and the button is on the top above the nose bridge which is easier to access IMO.

However, there is one annoying feature which is that the charging plug is different on the two models. The new ones are using a flatter profile USB charging connector vs the originals. I think the originals have a USB Mini-B connector and the new ones have a Micro-B connector. What a PITA! I now have two different charging cables (actually 4 since I have 4 pairs of glasses)! The difference is subtle too so in low light it is difficult to figure out which is which. No, the world won't end over it, but GGRRRRRRRRRRRR! There, I feel better now.rolleyes.gif

PS: Anyone have a favorite/cheap charging hub that works?

PPS: Arg, wrong thread again. Meant to put this in the Elite thread. Oh well, it applies to Sharps as well...
post #1583 of 2660
Hi folks,

Just got my new LC-708470U and loving it so far....thanks for all the great information contained in this thread!

I started playing around with DLNA yesterday, and though for the most part everything works fine I do have a couple of questions. First off, it seems like DLNA (or at least Sharp's implementation) doesn't support MKV video files, but it does support MKV on USB...is that correct? The other question I have concerns audio support. It seems like some of my video files which contain Dolby Digital audio tracks work just fine, but for others that contain DD I am only receiving 2-channel audio. I suspect this has something to do with multiple audio tracks being embedded in the file and so it just "selects" the first one. If that's the case, is there a way to manually select the desired audio track? And is this also an issue for videos you play off of a USB drive?
post #1584 of 2660
Fastslappy, re that possile 4.25 years of warranty. While possible here's what I had been told so far. First, I have not called Sharp and got the auto 3 month extension so I accept that as an automatic. However when I did call the Sharp warranty seller, they told me that the warranty starts the day you buy it and DOES NOT start after the expiration of the original warranty. So what you are buying is an extension from the day of the warranty purchase not an extension from the day of the original warranty expiration date.

Now, that being said, you can manipulate your buy date but that will affect the cost. Buy using the cost chart, it appears that if you buy the 3 year warranty within about 6 months of your purchase date you will get it for $179 (for a $2500-3200 set price). After 6 months it goes to $329. So if you pay $179 you end up getting a total of 3.5 years. If you wait till near the end of the 15 months and assuming the price remains the same (as the chart doesn't allow a purchase date calculation 15 months ago for that price) you would pay $329 and get an additional 3 years coverage added onto the 15 months that have just run out. Advantage is you can decide at that time if you want to buy it, you may not have the set anymore,??. Disadvantage is price may go up or warranty offer may go away or be reduced in term or coverage ie terms. aka the unknown

BUT, Non the less I will be calling the Sharp number tomorrow about the extension and the warranty and I hope it does pan out as you found. And again I thank you for without that tip I would have not known about the extension and concurrent warranty. If this pans out I can likely thank you ffor me getting an extra year coverage and getting it done now. Thanks!
post #1585 of 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpc View Post

Fastslappy, re that possile 4.25 years of warranty. While possible here's what I had been told so far. First, I have not called Sharp and got the auto 3 month extension so I accept that as an automatic. However when I did call the Sharp warranty seller, they told me that the warranty starts the day you buy it and DOES NOT start after the expiration of the original warranty. So what you are buying is an extension from the day of the warranty purchase not an extension from the day of the original warranty expiration date.
Now, that being said, you can manipulate your buy date but that will affect the cost. Buy using the cost chart, it appears that if you buy the 3 year warranty within about 6 months of your purchase date you will get it for $179 (for a $2500-3200 set price). After 6 months it goes to $329. So if you pay $179 you end up getting a total of 3.5 years. If you wait till near the end of the 15 months and assuming the price remains the same (as the chart doesn't allow a purchase date calculation 15 months ago for that price) you would pay $329 and get an additional 3 years coverage added onto the 15 months that have just run out. Advantage is you can decide at that time if you want to buy it, you may not have the set anymore,??. Disadvantage is price may go up or warranty offer may go away or be reduced in term or coverage ie terms. aka the unknown
BUT, Non the less I will be calling the Sharp number tomorrow about the extension and the warranty and I hope it does pan out as you found. And again I thank you for without that tip I would have not known about the extension and concurrent warranty. If this pans out I can likely thank you ffor me getting an extra year coverage and getting it done now. Thanks!

I received the auto 3 month extension when I registered my set. I also purchased the 3 year extended warranty from Sharp and when I received my email certificate of coverage, it shows that the extended warranty kicks in after the original 15 month warranty expires. I purchased my set in September and with the auto 3 month extension it expires in 12/21/2013 and the 3 year warranty coverage begins on 12/21/2013.
Hope that makes sense.
post #1586 of 2660
I have a Sharp Aquos LC-70LE847U that was purchased in June of 2012. I have searched this thread and googled for the same issue I am posting about and have not found it duplicated in this model or to the same degree on any model.
For the past week I've had a 3.5" stripe or band down the center of my screen. The band shows up on all inputs and tv menus and is extremely noticeable on lighter backgrounds and images. The band is a blackish/dark grey "mesh" with perfect lines. You can see the image thru the mesh.

I've had several other issues with this set such as netflix freezing and being stuck on all screens, full screen "pixilation", and apps freezing but nothing I could not fix with a power plug reset. My TV has the newest firmware, I have done a factory reset, and the issue was the same between both the reset and firmware updates.

I have contacted Aquos advantage and they created a ticket. I was told I would receive an emai to send proof of purchase and a picture procedure. I waited two days and emailed directly. 2 days later I received a response to my email and was told to send proof of purchase. 5 days after sending proof of purchase I was told to take pictures of the screen and send them to them so they can diagnose the issue before repair. So far overall I am disappointed in service. All of this red tape could have been told to me from day one when I called or at least in a single email when I finally did get a response. It was a cumulative 10 days of waiting to get all the info SHARP needed me to send...

Anyways, I snapped these pictures tonight. Though the issue is on all inputs/menus/etc; All of the pictures came from the HDMI of my laptop so I can show a good light background and highlight the problem. Please disregard the lighting halo in the top right of the picture. That was the kitchen lights and not a defect in the TV. Also, I have ZERO clouding so it will suck if I have to have the TV replaced outright and worry about that issue!
:






I will be sending these to Sharp to await for their engineers to decide how to fix my TV, await a service call, await a service appointment, be told they do not have the parts, await the parts, be told my TV needs to be replaced, wait for replacement TV, etc..etc.. I am glad I purchased an extended warranty.....getting the TV repaired seems to take extended time.


Has anyone else had this problem with our TV or any other and how did the repair process go? Thank you in advance for your time.
post #1587 of 2660
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahicks View Post

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-70LE847U that was purchased in June of 2012. I have searched this thread and googled for the same issue I am posting about and have not found it duplicated in this model or to the same degree on any model.
For the past week I've had a 3.5" stripe or band down the center of my screen. The band shows up on all inputs and tv menus and is extremely noticeable on lighter backgrounds and images. The band is a blackish/dark grey "mesh" with perfect lines. You can see the image thru the mesh.
I've had several other issues with this set such as netflix freezing and being stuck on all screens, full screen "pixilation", and apps freezing but nothing I could not fix with a power plug reset. My TV has the newest firmware, I have done a factory reset, and the issue was the same between both the reset and firmware updates.
I have contacted Aquos advantage and they created a ticket. I was told I would receive an emai to send proof of purchase and a picture procedure. I waited two days and emailed directly. 2 days later I received a response to my email and was told to send proof of purchase. 5 days after sending proof of purchase I was told to take pictures of the screen and send them to them so they can diagnose the issue before repair. So far overall I am disappointed in service. All of this red tape could have been told to me from day one when I called or at least in a single email when I finally did get a response. It was a cumulative 10 days of waiting to get all the info SHARP needed me to send...
Anyways, I snapped these pictures tonight. Though the issue is on all inputs/menus/etc; All of the pictures came from the HDMI of my laptop so I can show a good light background and highlight the problem. Please disregard the lighting halo in the top right of the picture. That was the kitchen lights and not a defect in the TV. Also, I have ZERO clouding so it will suck if I have to have the TV replaced outright and worry about that issue!
:



I will be sending these to Sharp to await for their engineers to decide how to fix my TV, await a service call, await a service appointment, be told they do not have the parts, await the parts, be told my TV needs to be replaced, wait for replacement TV, etc..etc.. I am glad I purchased an extended warranty.....getting the TV repaired seems to take extended time.
Has anyone else had this problem with our TV or any other and how did the repair process go? Thank you in advance for your time.
With that photo evidence Sharp that you sent you a get a NEW display , there by bypassing the service call .... I seen them replace displays for less of a problem . Had you came here 1st we could have had you take the photos , send the email & you would have a NEW display on the way already //
post #1588 of 2660
thanks for the quick reply. Next time I will start here! I hope my new set doesn't have the ghosting issues I have seen in this thread!
post #1589 of 2660
UPDATE on service ticket with Sharp:

Hello Again. As FastSlappy stated, I should have posted here first so I am :-)

I called sharp tonight to get an update on my ticket on my TV for the banding issue on the LCD screen. I was told to call back during normal business hours for details but was told that my TV/Ticket was approved for their Sharp Exchange process. When I asked what that meant, he told me again to call back during normal business hours but it would mean something like I would go to Best Buy for a new TV.

That being said.....What does this really mean? I have a few questions if anyone has been through an exchange process with Sharp:

1. Will I really go to Best Buy or a local retailer to get a new TV? I bought my TV from ABT online....
2. Will the exchange be for a NEW TV or will it have to be a refurbished TV?
3. MOST IMPORTANTLY: I bought a 3 year extended warranty from Sharp directly (but it was through another company) Will I lose this warranty and the price paid? IF I do not, how do I re-register the new TV for the warranty I already paid for. I bought the TV this year in June so it was still under the manufacturers warranty if that means anything...


Thank you for your help in advance!
-Michael in Tallahassee
post #1590 of 2660
Update on my new set warranty. As expected, all of you were correct. After "registering" my set and getting my Aquos member number and special warranty number I did get the 4.25 year warranty coverage. I first received the 3 month extension to the 12 month OEM Sharp warranty and then the 3 year Sharp sponsored aftermarket warranty ($179 plus tax in FL).

Thanks again to all of you that followed up providing this to me or I may have gotten less for the same price.


As to the mkv question. I thought that mkvs were not going to be playable. Much to my surprise and happyness, I found the same result. When the mkv file was on a USB thumb drive the set would find it and play it with no problem. When on my DNLA, a search for the same file did not find it so obviosly did not play it. This was the same previous result I had leading me to believe mkv's would not play. So once again thanks to another member trying something I hadn't thought of trying the the same file on a thumb drive vs the DLNA and getting different results.

Has anyone hooked an external hard drive containing avi , mp4 or other video files directy to the usb port and had it work successfully. Will maybe try that tonight if I have time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread